Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Speedrun competition idea: Destiny vs. Sargon getting banned from Twitter on alt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Dongicus posted:

why tho lol

The well of Debunk watchers has not yet run dry.

Also that Bedbug video activated some repressed memories of when I fought the little fuckers in my home. For months after every itchy or crawling sensation on my skin gave me a mini-panic attack that they'd somehow returned. Nasty things.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, the people pitching the metaverse fundamentally misunderstood how people actually want to use VR. They don't want a corporate friendly virtual space that they are forced to use for meetings or mandatory employee training. Businesses certainly aren't going to be interested in it either. Its not like they didn't have a prior example of how bad of an idea it would be either with things like Second Life existing.

The entire thing was Mark Zuckerberg getting desperate after Facebook destroyed its reputation and now its only seen as something used by old people.

Maybe things have changed in the interim but I remember, a rough 6-7 years ago, while I was doing a communications degree businesses were very much interested in the idea of VR and virtual spaces. Specifically the idea that you could create spaces that could bridge the gap between physical spaces such as different office locations.

Imagine not needing the logistics for world-wide store redesigns, instead having customers just walk through a single, real-world location, streamed directly to their VR headset.
Imagine being able to get the entire workforce around the world all together in one virtual conference room.
Imagine having somebody remote call into a meeting and then seeing their AR avatar in one of the chairs in the meeting room.
The possibilities are endless...

There's a sizeable part of the corporate world, mostly concentrated in middle management, PR, HR, and marketing, that just lives for this kind of highfalutin make-belief of constantly telling each other how they're going to create some kind of magical techno-utopia within the confines of the corporate setting. These are the kinds of people all of those credulous Fortune and Bloomberg articles are aimed at.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Give me two billion and will upload your consciousness to the metaverse blockchain using Elon's Monkey-killing brain chip. I call it "Isekai-as-a-service" or IaaS.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

COVID caused some insane time dilation. While inside it, we were all bored senseless because we couldn't do anything but coming out the other side it seems like the last three years barely happened because we didn't do anything.

It's not just COVID. We are getting old, time goes by faster if you don't have the energy to do as many things as you used to in a day anymore.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Bar Crow posted:

John Romero’s about to mail order his bitch

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think the pyramid YouTuber is good at choosing topics, and I don’t think they’re a bad person, but based on their scripts they’ve always come off as kinda dumb.

My rule of thumb is that if a product or service has to consistently hammer you with advertisements, well after it's been established, then you're paying for the costs of those advertisements and not the quality. The best stuff usually has no need to hire a small army of influences to hawk itself.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

The unspoken part of this discussion is that we mostly listen to "video essayists" instead of watching them.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

This thread has forgotten its true purpose of agreeing why my list of favs is sorta like a modern Jacobin club and why your favs are bougie and cringe.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I just hope he's having a good time making these.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Has anyone else gotten this Sarcasmitron video in their recommends? Did the algorithm pick another debunker wonderchild to bless with views?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E575rSSaT6A

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Bakeneko posted:

Oh I know what he was trying to say, I just think his argument was full of holes. He has no real definition of “childish”, basing it entirely on whatever he happens to think is silly or uncool, and he doesn’t manage to show that these so-called childish things are a modern phenomenon, and that all previous generations didn’t have their equivalent interests.

Yeah, companies play to people’s sense of nostalgia and escapism in order to sell merch but that doesn’t mean either of those things are by themselves childish or unique to millennials, or that this is connected to the other random stuff he complains about like cat videos and shirts without buttons and brightly-painted bedrooms. Regardless of what he’s directly stating, there’s a not-so-subtle implication throughout the video that ordinary people are partly to blame for having interests or tastes that he considers silly.

And he does this complaining about predatory corporations while advertising loving Betterhelp, of all things :ironicat:.

Honestly I don't think he's even making an argument, he's making content. There's no cogent point, no insight, because the goal is just to poo poo out a video that pushes a few buttons to get people to watch and push a garbage sponsorship or two.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

It's kind of amazing that Dan has effectively killed NFTs and the Metaverse now over the course of two two-hour videos.

Idk if I'd put that all on his videos because those things were pretty much killing themselves. But I will bet good money he has become the bane of the people who are still trying to sell the grift to a next batch of suckers because now there's a readily available source that pokes giant holes in all of their claims.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I learned to torrent anime after sending a message on Youtube to a channel that was uploading Urusei Yatsura episodes but wasn't doing it fast enough for my liking.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Rumiko Takahashi walked so Ken Akamatsu could run

for office.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Beautiful

Dawgstar posted:

Is that why all reaction videos are fronted by thumbnails of people looking like they're having an aneurysm?

Yes, although this has been known to be true for years now. Putting those obnoxious faces with brigh color backgrounds and big fuckoff text is a known way of getting more views.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Posting this because I think we should laugh at it:

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I unsubscribed from Conover's channel because I get pretty tired of his condescending schtick, especially when he's wrong, but I'm going to have to watch this for Dan. I binged the entire Folding Ideas over the last couple of days, and they have been making great stuff for a long time. A lot of his commentary over the last 7 years has been incredibly prescient.

Honestly Adam's insights and questions during the talk are alright and sometimes pretty good, but the constant laughing at his own jokes and hyper upbeat delivery do take away from it.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Steph used to be one of few people with relatively mainstream success who held the industry's feet to the fire. But there's other, better produced and more in-depth stuff out there, while she's stuck basically doing a repeat of previous greatest hits moments. I haven't unsubbed but I haven't bothered with a single video in years, there's just nothing them about that compels a watch any more. Like watching a band you used to like become a cover band for their own songs.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I miss when Super Bunnyhop would review random games he got in his inbox, that was a fun segment.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

It amazes me still that when creator discords first took off a bunch of them had NSFW channels. IIRC some big name's discord had to nuke theirs from orbit after some minors started posting their candid pictures in there and lied about their age.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Manga is better than comics.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Oh no, Youtube personality I'd never heard of before today, not like this!

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Destiny lore has been forever soured to me by the word "Paracausal", which is just Bungie's cute new way of saying loving Magic. Mostly because I keep running into instances of people using it to justify their ridiculous OC/TTRPG character backstories, but refusing to just say their characters are powered by loving Magic, which they are.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

end credits scene has the Volcano talking to the Tornado

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Sydin posted:

The Patreon video has also now confirmed that Harris is good enough at what he does that he's quite pleasant and informative to listen to even when there's zero visuals and just a black screen for like 30 minutes.

Has he finally given in and pandered to the people who listen to his videos like podcasts instead of watching them?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

And then contrast all the stuff they cheaped out on vs. their expensive audacity to loving sue Taylor Swift of all people for the stupidest of reasons and put themselves on the radar of a bunch of people who could easily ruin them when they would have otherwise just slipped by unnoticed. That said, the back third of that video is completely unneeded. It just runs out of steam and actual interesting things to talk about by the time Jenny actually physically gets to Evermore itself.

The Antiques and "genuine marble and bricks imported from England" stuff is what gets me. That's such a huge expenditure just in terms of logistics, and for something that guests really would just forgive you for faking, not to mention the maintenance issues. It really drives home that the billionaire tech guy treated this just like a bigger version of house decoration with his gently caress-off money.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I also launder money at my spare time

The Coolest Goon.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Every time I read one of you post something about how you can't believe people aren't taking a specific message from a piece of media, and how we need to "teach media literacy" again, I'm reminded of my high school literature classes. It was mostly the teacher talking down to us about how we weren't getting Maupassant's message and we needed to stop having these weird interpretations instead of just accepting that theirs was the correct one. I loving hated those classes, and the stupid books they made us read.

Then, when I got to a different school and a different teacher, I finally found it fun when we were reading Joyce and given the freedom to elaborate on our own crazy interpretations, before the teacher would lead us into a discussion about them. that loving ruled, even if we were completely wrong at least we got to have fun with it.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/Lde2xPARIos

Love me a good Twilight internet drama

Why does she hold her mic like that? 20 seconds in and I don't wanna watch the rest because of the constant audio issues. "Snap, crackle, and pop" is for cereals, it's not an audio feel any creator should aspire to.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 13, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Gamer's Nexus feels like it's stuck in the 90s but instead of making that everyone else's problem they just earnestly run with it and I respect that.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

You gotta wonder what possesses a man like Linus, who by all accounts has "made it", to turn around and start publicly torching his public image, the thing a lot of his business is built on. All he had to do was shut the gently caress up and let corporate handle this.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

He's right and he should say it.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I hope Fromsoft never makes a souls game again, just to spite these people.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

The equivalent of SF6's Modern controls but for Souls.
I think you mean WOKE controls.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Looking through Noah's feed, he really needs to put some more distance between himself and his viewers. He seems like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown because he didn't get a particular video out fast enough and he thinks people will accuse him of being "bougie" because he took a vacation. I say that in good faith because I did enjoy his Souls videos and I don't doubt for a moment that he got hassled by the notorious subsect of overzealous fans.

People 100% do those exact things you describe him being scared of.
Wasn't even that long ago when somebody used an AI to make a deepfake because their fav youtuber was taking too long to publish a new vid.
We've also had instances in these threads of people trying to argue Youtubers are the bourgeoisie for completely asinine reasons, like not enjoying being woken up by construction work.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

You advocate for not reacting to things, and yet here you are, reacting, curious.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Watching 4 Shaun videos at once set up so 4 "hello everyone"s sync up perfectly each time

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 21, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Honestly, looking back on it now, Haruhi was kinda mid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

childrens cartoons are an important thing for an adult to care about ... its the important battleground for the culture warrior

Shaking my head at the lack of discourse about whether or not Family Guy promotes degeneracy and/or white genocide.