Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdDeufxfJeE
8-bit Music Theory made a video on Baka mitai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

It took me a bit until i realized this has the same length as a sherlock episode.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

lobster22221 posted:

The director will find no solace here.

Surely he deserves at least a quantum? :P

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

That really isnt true about Batman or Superman though? I dont read comics but half the time I see Superman or Batman panels its Superman telling a suicidal girl off a ledge, or punching the joker through his chest. With batman it's his giant dong, or Joker ripping off his own face.

I guess that's my point. They can be for everyone. And there's room for the characters to be light and edgy.

I don't see why we should care about being the same as the original work or appealing to an equivalent audience instead just judging a thing by it own merits.
Any subject and tone can be done well some are just harder than others...
That and seconding the whole "Batman were supposed to be just for kids" stuff all the people on google say it's at best originally for a wide audience that included kids. It doesn't make the Killing Joke not trash but doesn't make it left-flied when it comes to the subject. Especially since batman actually came out of a series based on hardboiled detective poo poo.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 26, 2020

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

drat, that sucks what'd people do to scare them off?

Lindsay was outed by boogie(If that's not his name I don't Particularly stans.)
Dan might still be posting in the Tabletop corner of SA but is probably driven off from here.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

It sounds like Hooper is just wack at musicals. Are there any non-kings speech stuff he's good at or nah?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Hey guys, I'm sorry for recommending Filmento in here. Guy's an idiot actually.

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1367597095344029698

I'm not sure whether or not that's sarcasm or if it is it wouldn't just make things worse.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I recall ender games and this one book where a troubled teen was shipped to the Alaskan wilderness. In my second elementary school at least at least we actually had books read to us. And i recall some M night village type poo poo and a book about i think a black kid in the depression but don't quote me on that the kid's race.

Looking back my elementary-middle school days was a wild ride in which i didn't realize at the time how totally hosed it got. Like we took a trip to a museum in which a guy monologued lost cause propaganda. Dear lord.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think we’ve reached the point where you shouldn’t take anyone who says tankie seriously

Though this applies to any shorthand used to delegitimization your opponent without needing engagement I suppose
Seems like that’s the point of to not take things seriously. Doesn’t mean there aren’t moments where that makes sense.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

so just to be clear do I HAVE to keep watching Game Grumps or it's loving cancel culture or whatever weird poo poo you're dancing around?

I don't know if you genuinely think 'no see I just didn't talk to her for four years THEN decided to send her a video saying I wanna gently caress her in this tacky tub' is a better option or...

Having your content consumed is a human right! /s

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno really I guess I figured that in the grand scale of 'we can't believe THIS woman, he's just to important to hold accountable!' a dude who's main creative output is 80's covers, dick jokes, and yelling at Megaman would be low enough on the list that the basic concept of poo poo like metoo could survive in some form but welp

It’s not just about importance but also about “Bad people getting a win” regardless of scale.

That’s basically how that one anime voice managed to get defenders. You wouldn’t want the SJW to win...right?

Rockit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 22, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Garrand posted:

here's an archive of the actual twitter thread.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210322210008/https://twitter.com/ryuupastel/status/1374001210366160900?s=21

As far as I can tell they just repeated the reddit thread claims on twitter, were not part of the reddit thread nor part of any actual accusations. To say they 'admit everything is fake' is an extremely overblown claim.
Souring a Twitter thread that says “I was wrong nvm” on being a little less harsh against you as your defense is serious clown poo poo.

Go back to the “ but an actual victims wouldn’t let racist haters use their accusation” argument. It’s more honest than this grasping at straws.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

this thread should probably be closed for a while

Maybe you should engage with our arguments rather than going “Tone bad”

When you can’t acknowledge all of this didn’t come from shithole subreddit or even provide proof of most of your other claims of course we would have little patience with your defense. And frankly neither would Dan.

The flaws ya’ll are making are the kind that can happen in defense of a innocent man. If you’re right being unsympathetic and close-minded to other people’s anger and argument is not how you convince someone of reasonable doubt.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 23, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The admin of the subreddit dedicated to generating hate for two youtube people straight up admitted it was fake. Dunno what else you want.

What i got out that was nothing of the sort and outright says there was more to it than the parts they’re discussing. At best it was an “It doesn’t look that bad wait nvm” rather than an confession of forgery or an accusation of it being fake.

You need to actually defend your read on this rather than act flustered everyone disagrees with you.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I'm pretty sure they're joking but I guess you could do this

https://mobile.twitter.com/theymerSophie/status/1374182312468959233
They aren’t.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Mara Wilson liked this tweet :stare:

https://twitter.com/toastbutqueer/status/1375632342782504960

More context

https://twitter.com/toastbutqueer/status/1375641131833303044

The thing with Ellis is that this is not an isolated incident. She's lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago
I had written a big post about this issue the n i double check through her likes and confirmed this.

Ugh. Mobs and twitter are trash with the worse of the mob being worse of the sides but one of these online creators have got to at least realize the way they're responding to them is counter-productive and try to push change on everything. Don't just ignore that one creator who painted targets for a counter-harassment on people who didn't even say anything to them even if one should treat like the accident it was. Actually acknowledge and push people to be better.

But that involves pointing things that require risky, difficult, systemic change that would affect them on a deeply personal level and might not even happen?
I'm genuinely sorry that it's hard and hurting you and if there's anything the audience can do to reduce it should be done but that's just the cost of doing work that changes the world a little even if your preference are reformism in certain industries much less anti-capitalism.

The only actual solution even from creators who dislike and/or critical of these people is "Stop caring so much about us! Just consume without attachment!". I suppose they have a point but only in the sense that "get over being harassed have a point." Those are not something people can fully embrace and even if they can your words aren't entitled to bring that about.

But again that shows that cliff between content and praxis. While within your own communities that line is going to need to blur there's still only so much one can do. Still that just brings up the whole "You talk about poo poo that may not be done and your videos aren't enough to bring it out about anyways" point.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Ash Crimson posted:

its incredibly important to actually go outside every now and then

I mean sure but one does not simply command better habits is one of my points here.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

lmao I noticed I just got a new avi lmao can't believe I made someone so butthurt they paid 10 dollars for that. :discourse:

I unironically like the text tho

Hey, Whoever did that: You do realize without context you just look like someone who hated Lindsay for chud reasons right?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

SimonChris posted:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/soooo-twitter-49295710

I hope she doesn't stop making content entirely, but I understand if she needs to take a break.

I would like to wait for the actual response but besides that this was the best thing she could have said.

I wish her good luck.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

yeah, gita sucks as do all the game journo scumbags like austin walker who rushed to circle the wagons for the rape apologist kotaku editors/writers. this isnt hard.

the logic on 'why its hard' sucks too. for starters, she called the article 'mostly factual,' when the article itself has been criticized by some of the victims as basically characterizing them as asking for it. for instance, one person is characterized as 'flirted with boss, he got handsy in ways she didn't want him to' when her story is 'i did no flirting and he molested me.' so no, gita is not being 'misinterpreted by disingenuous racist twitter posters,' she just sucks.
To be quite blunt I don't see how big Gita hosed up refutes the claims about her motives.

The article while trash still superficially found only one party guilty. It makes it easy to not look into how it lovely framed everyone else.

That being said people online need to get their poo poo together and realize the consequences of their actions.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Impermanent posted:

:me, being principled: i think that the two black people in the same industry as this white lady should have sacrificed their careers to fix this

Making thread explaining "Why better things aren't possible" while partially buying into the target's lies is just so hard to not do. /s

People have exaggerated her as scum but c'mon.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Impermanent posted:

I just think maybe we didn't read the same posts. They didn't come across that way to me. they seemed, if anything, like trying to highlight exactly where to apply pressure to get the article removed.

I do see that but forgive me if the others in the class when the implicit if unintentional "They were right in calling you horny for your abuser" kind overshadows that. Or the shitstorm that followed.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

shes talking about the lindsay thing

if you read her previous posts she included the firing of Aimee as an example of cancel culture and framed it completely damning of reddit to do so.

She may be focusing on Eills in particular but she definitely views what happened on reddit on par with that.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I mean i see it's vague but when "My dad and husband are pedophiles and i support them" is the one notable instance of firing getting fired from reddit you forgive me if i assume that's the case rather the unheard news of what the rear end in a top hat subreddits may be doing.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Contra sucks. World at War good. That's my hot take for tonight :colbert:

Really? Noah sold it as more of a cheesy so bad it's good presentation in the russia half and problematic in asian half.
Zombie mode owns tho at least in the early stages. \m/

Farm Frenzy posted:

i mean i just read that as a general exasperation with the internet being all bad rather than a defence of paedophilia since the following sentence is about the shrimp guy

She framed reddit as an "anti-cancel-culture" space then listed an example of reddit canceling someone.

If she meant Aimee was bad she would have just said "Hired a probable pedo" not "They tried to fired someone"

Like i just think she had either a kneejerk reaction without looking to deep or took her "Remembering things is stalking" bit farther than last time rather than thinking pedos are ok but if she's talking about what i think she's talking about that's still trash

Rockit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 31, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

yeah it just doesnt sound like she looked deeply into it at all, to me, considering the phrasing of the tweet. i know she says dumb poo poo all the time but i don't think shes stupid enough to actually side with the reddit mod

I don't think so either. what's actually going is still dumb poo poo she said.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Noah Also doesn't like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and likes Bioshock Infinite. Don't get me wrong, he's still the greatest gaming critic of all time but his word isnt law

Guess i'll wait until the an ps3/ps2 version of world at war but the excerpts I've seen definitely proved the chesse part.
Edit: Actually i say we would probably completely agree on Waw. I actually meant what i said about the russia part as a complement to it. I love chesse.

Also IMHO he kind of has a point on bloodlines. Even it's fans like me find it very buggy and very cringe sections. He's only very wrong on whether or not some things are worth and/or charming, not the bad parts per se.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

If you liked Quinton's videos on Ancient Aliens and other weird/fake poo poo on the History channel, you'll probably like this video from Billiam about the same type of poo poo on Animal Planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjQ2-Xrau8

Nerdwriter1 talks about our relationship with time during the pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cztCmNSVS3Q

I'm also willing to give Natalie a little bit of the benefit of the doubt here because the two most prominent articles about this Reddit admin from before the drama blew up on Reddit itself were both disgustingly transphobic, with the one directly instigating the drama "calling out" UK political parties for accepting trans women as women and the other one being written by Graham Linehan himself and full of all kinds of Helldump/Kiwi Farms poo poo on top of the legit concerns about the admin's pedo-apologia. Obviously the admin being fired was the correct course of action here, but if all I knew about this admin was that she was a trans woman being attacked by Graham Linehan I'd probably side with her out of knee-jerk reaction.

Fair. My issues is not realizing she screwed up and just keep on ranting. Those are totally fair reasons to make such assumption but if they need be corrected they should.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

egg tats posted:

I don't hate myself to do a deep dive on gitas twitter mentions, but I'd guess people are more or less constantly asking Gita to speak up about this, even though this isn't the first time she's said the article sucks and should be taken down. (also the useful thing that she had to offer was that it's very difficult to take down an article because most/all journalists will fight tooth and nail unless they agree its factually wrong with the pretty clear implication that editorial at kotaku does not think that)

I wonder why out of the 10s of game journalists who wished that dude the best - many of them with way more rear end kissing than a single tweet - Austin walker is the one you're focusing on here?

listen, I'm not calling you specifically a racist over this, but it is racism that's led to two of the main people being yelled at over this be black folk. Tim Rogers was a much more esteemed writer, who worked at kotaku at the same time, who left kotaku at the same time, who had as little to do with the article as Gita Jackson but way more clout. I don't see people calling on him to start condemning his former coworkers though, you know?

Probably because he didn't talk about it. Everyone was just bitching to the social media account of the tweet page before Gita said anything.

It's not a good reason despite my own criticisms of this and perhaps the double standard does exist but there isn't any other factors (Along with the the fact the vic views the article not an "Mostly accurate" one. like that what's gita think it is not what she thinks the editorial line is.)

I advise you at least read more in this thread because you're missing points that have been already discussed.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 31, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Bakeneko posted:

I was never able to watch this show because I hated the character designs so much. Specifically the mouths; why are they so far up on their faces? They creep me out every second they're onscreen. It’s like one of those old memes about the first Kanon anime. Just… why?

Anyway, considering the reception the second season got I guess I ended up dodging a bullet there. Same with One Punch Man, funnily enough, which I also didn’t watch for similar reasons.

I don't recall OPM turning to poo poo. Wait, did it?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

Also i agree about taking down her old videos but lol at 'she should delete her youtube channel entirely!!!'

She says dumb poo poo sometimes but do you really think an attractive white woman left the altright sphere to make *more* money? Like whether or not shes left enough for you the idea that shes a secret nazi grifter is ludicrous. The openly nazi grifters make more money. Jontrons subs went up when he went full race science and broke away from all his old friends. Ian Miles Cheong went from random eurogamer listicle writer to being the gamer alt-right guy and got a ton more money for it.

Like im not saying you have to love her or anything like i said i think she says stupid poo poo sometimes too but cmon. The grand master plan of making less money and having everyone call you a nazi if you say idpol alone is a narrowminded way of viewing the world? If she wanted an easy ride, more money, and more friends shed still be making vids about gamergate being cool

As much as I’m sympathetic to this line of argument this has an easy “This just proves she sucks at being a grifter rather than disproving she is one” Right-winged online people aren’t the brightest bulb in the shed.

But yeah people are a bit too dictomous on both sides of the discussion. There are other left winged people who are this poo poo to people so it wouldn’t really hurt to she show’s conversion as legit but completely incomplete to stop her from being the same of bigoted rear end in a top hat.

I would go far to say having “delete all the bad videos” as something required I’m uncomfortable with full stop. Like I get it of how the YouTube algorithm works means you can’t get something like that WB disclaimer I guess that’s fair but I much prefer the transparency and the irony of an metaphorical inverted Che shirt if someone has done everything else to be contrite .

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

I don't know this person. None of us know this person. What's actually happening here is that the Nazi TV Network has rebranded as Leftist Entertainment News and you're trying to tell me that there's some point about left purity in wanting the Nazi TV Network to go away completely, actually, rather than welcoming the fact that the people who used to make "Black folk: angry, eh?" are now making "How to feel the Bern on poll day!"
The fact she’s still trash we should’nt approve of either way isn’t something one should undersell especially when there are people who actually welcoming her.

But I don’t think endorph is doing the latter even if “being stupid” underplays what’s actually going on here.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

I think comparing a youtube channel to a national tv network is a bit of an exaggeration. for starters, one is a corporate entity, the other is a person.

I don’t think anyone here is actually making a equivalence of scale but more of a equivalence of branding. Even if it doesn’t apply in this case it’s not impossible for a YouTube to be that souless.

Perhaps you should address the possibility that right wing grifters are dumb and stubborn enough to make a poorly done pivot and still commit to it past any reasonable point of fail.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

She has an audience of 1.5 million people on YouTube and 400,000 on twitter. Her brand is considerably closer to being a major tv network than it is to any kind of interpersonal relationship. She is not an awkward friend you need to forgive for some gently caress-ups, to well over a million people.
A lot of people can and have watched lo-fi poo poo made in one’s room. Popularity does not equate production structure.

Endorph posted:

I mean, sure, they are, but at that point literally any leftwing youtuber could be a nazi regardless of previous behavior or what their content is actually like.
Content by itself doesn’t really indicate intent either.

Your long post reminded that there’s a genuine possibility that we’re dealing a mixture of sincerity and give free stuff like that one guy who both posted on storefront and wrote for anarchist academia

Rockit fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 5, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Corporate entities are legally persons, so.
So of course this means as singular person they’re not capable of being deceitful at least if their pocketbooks are in the red. :p

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

if you can look at the tracks then they arent covered this metaphor doesnt work

depending on where you grew up, absolutely. that isnt excusing her or anything because like, she was an alt-right type even being as charitable as possible she was parroting language avowed racists were using. but entirely separate from shoe, yeah, american race eduaction is dogshit. I'm not even 30 and my elementary school textbooks called martin luther king the nword.

My area had an museum that had lost cause be monologued at us as kids. The actual school stuff wasn’t was bad but it still framed the civil war as multiple causes.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shoeonhead is Canadian: you can't blame that one on us. Unless she was radicalized on 4chan. Which she was.

Eh i think there’s room for argument that how Canada is influenced partially by our own lovely education system.

America after is all a very influential country for better and worse. Though you can probably point to the UK as well.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 5, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I never once considered the possibility that someone named June Lapine wouldn’t be Canadian. I also always thought it was a pseudonym. Turns out I was the real racist. Sorry, Canada.

Sounds more like a San Fran hippy thing than a Canadian thing imho. No offense actual people like that. More like a lovely knee jerk than something I take as fact.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Rockit posted:

Sounds more like a San Fran hippy thing than a Canadian thing imho. No offense actual people like that. More like a lovely knee jerk than something I take as fact.

*looks up on Wikipedia*
Ok that surname is apparently Latvian but other than all notable people and places with it are all American.
So any Latvians down here my b for the assumption even though the first name June was kinda part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Dabir posted:

all white people are engaged in a conspiracy to smuggle racists into leftist spaces, you heard it here first

“White people are idiots who trust assholes” is such an huge accusation of intent how dare they! /s