Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why do people think she survived? She was face down in the sand for at least half a day without moving. It would be a House of Cards level asspull to reveal that she was still alive(a similar thing happened to a char on that show).

She had moved slightly in between being shot Calican and being discovered by whoever found her and her surviving isn't really any dumber than Darth Maul or Boba Fett surviving their original fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You say that like those 2 examples aren't also very dumb.
I don't like either of them, I just think it'd be par for the course at this point,

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This quote is funny in hindsight:

In 1999 George Lucas posted:

At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Darko posted:

I just laughed at Mando "No True Mandalorianing" someone who was actually THE Mandalore at one time.

Mandaloresplaining.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Azhais posted:

They film basically everything in the Volume with minimal sets. The volume is cool and all but everything is going to end up feeling a bit like it's filmed inside 360 degrees of oled display.

It's one of the reasons the armorer fight last season really stood out, that was all done on a traditional set

The Seven Samurai episode had more location shooting too didn't it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The S1 finale of Clone Wars is the one that stands out since it's a high stakes plot with Cad Bane that doesn't get resolved until S3 and is immediately followed by a different story involving Cad Bane that actually introduces the character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

quote:

Armorer: It looks helpless.

Din Djarin: It's injured, but it is not helpless. Its species can move objects with its mind.

Armorer: I know of such things. The songs of eons past tell of battles between Mandalore the Great and an order of sorcerers called Jedi that fought with such powers.

Din Djarin: It is an enemy?

Armorer: No. Its kind were enemies, but this individual is not.

Din Djarin: What is it?

Armorer: It is a foundling. By Creed, it is in your care.

Din Djarin: You wish me to train this thing?

Armorer: It is too weak. It would die. You have no choice. You must reunite it with its own kind.

Din Djarin: Where?

Armorer: This, you must determine.

Din Djarin: You expect me to search the galaxy for the home of this creature and deliver it to a race of enemy sorcerers?

Armorer: This is the Way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zoux posted:

Also, if you are of an age to have Thought About Star Wars before 1999 - what did you think the Clone Wars were? I figured the Emperor showed up with a whole clone army and took over the Republic.
Basically what the Zahn books were suggesting about an evil group of cloners. I don't think I connected the Clone Wars directly to the Emperor taking over either but I can't remember.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

Wasn't it dooku as palpatine's proxy that pretended to be syfo dias and order the army using palpatine's secret sithlord fortune to pay for them?

Sifo-Dyas did some of it and then Dooku killed him and took over the project.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Who even cares what Gina Carano does in her off time if all our contact with her is watching her episodic role in a tv show once a week.

She posts anti-mask stuff in the middle of a pandemic and has half a million followers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Smythe posted:

Many ppl itt talking about star war resistance and rebels but I was under the impression that these were literally tv shows for young children like sesame street etc is this not the case? ??

Freemaker Adventures is pitched at a preschool / primary school audience (although the idea of Master Shake as a Hutt Crime Lord is one that can be appreciated by everyone).

Resistance is meant for 6+ and Rebels for a few years older.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Counterpoint: Star Trek Into Darkness and Rise of Skywalker prove that Abrams is a gutless hack who can't manage to do anything but repackage nostalgia for older, better movies. This is fine when you're getting a reboot off the ground decades later, but loving dire once it's already up there.

Abrams' approach is to keep moving fast enough that nobody notices or cares that things don't make sense, which is why Mission Impossible was genuinely a good fit for him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

pik_d posted:

There's also an earlier series that's just Clone Wars (2003, 3 seasons), but I assume that isn't worth watching as much as The Clone Wars (2008, 7 seasons). Is that true?

The 2003 one is highly stylised and action heavy (although that changes in the last few episodes as it shifts into setting up Revenge of the Sith). I really liked it when I saw it years ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

Star Wars Honda Accord

?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Give me more Truman Capote Ziro the Hutt and Big Mama or give me death.

Same but Master Shake Hutt from Freemaker Adventures.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Watch the George Lucas videos by SF Debris. Hero's Journey, Shadow's Journey and Hermit's Journey. Empire and Jedi were production nightmares.

Thanks for recommending these. I'd seen Empire of Dreams before but knew it was an incomplete story (and obviously very pro-George overall).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

teagone posted:

Wait, really. Lol. I really can't recall her in Clone Wars at all. That's hilarious.

It's a joke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Thrawn name drop was given a lot of dramatic weight for something that a lot of people won't get. It's something they avoided with Asohka, Bo-Katan, and the Darksaber.

teagone posted:

Where do Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, and Mara Jade fall on that dumb/aggressively terrible spectrum? Or are they in the 5% that's good?

Katarn and Jade are good, Dash is too generic to be good or bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of that, 90s Jeffrey Combs would have been insanely good for that. The character he played (the most, he was a few different folks) on DS9, Weyoun, there weren't a lot of points were he got to be truly ruthless or go full dead eyed pragmatism but the times he did completely stole those episodes.

He's also got a lot of experience wearing blue makeup.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My favourite part about the sound design of Ahsoka's lightsabers was how menacing the snap-hiss was when she was sneaking around.

teagone posted:

There's a lot of "wait what the gently caress" type energy surrounding those two reveals for new viewers I'm sure. The air of mystique surrounding who Ahsoka is and who she is looking for and why Moff Gideon has a lightsaber/wants the child are pretty similar imo.

There is, but the image of a unique lightsaber communicates a lot more to a casual Star Wars viewer than a namedrop of a great EU character.

Don't get me wrong, the Thrawn reveal got an audible :tviv: from me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

romanowski posted:

grogu is a silly name so I hope the characters on the show continue to refer to him as BABY YODA as they have been (haven't rewatched any episodes so I could be misremembering)

Baby Yoda is entirely a fan / media / production thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What Sith / Sith-adjacent people are around at this point?

Not sure of the current post-RotJ canon.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Unless Lars is unavailable or turns it down I really see no reason he couldn't do Thawn in live action.
They have to have someone lined up if they're dropping his name like this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AdmiralViscen posted:

What does he say in the broadcasts?

quote:

I have no doubt the Jedi are doing their very best to ensure the safety of every citizen in the Republic.

The accusations that the Jedi created the Clone War to give themselves more power over the government is absurd.

I think there are a few more too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maybe they thought Tarkin was real but played by a different actor. Or that he was real but done with old-age makeup in the originals and was actually old now (like with the Emperor).

Or they didn't think about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Children's cartoons are all made by grown up nerds now, every single one's trying to have those things or at least make an effort.
Nah there are still plenty of cartoons being made that have no appeal to anyone beyond literal children, they just don't get much hype on the internet.

There's a reason we're talking about Rebels and not Freemaker Adventures.

Teek posted:

It’s probably the volume wall. If you really look for it, you can sometimes tell. Usually it’s when the real foreground scenery props end and the background is filled it. It’s generally pretty seamless though.
For some reason it felt more obvious than normal in this episode, at least in the forest scenes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

Well, we had Tattoine, big ice planet (not snow planet, that's Hoth), Water Planet, and Samurai planet so far this season. Any bets for the remaining settings? I'm going to say, Coruscant and World War 1 style planet are up this season for sure

We also had lava planet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Even when he's not doing the inverted structure (which really is a lot) he's still got an unusual, staccato style. For example:

quote:

LUKE
But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA
You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Azhais posted:

The plethora of piñatas is still classic

Infamous, even.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hazo posted:

Maleficent wasn't a remake.

No one's mentioned Beauty and the Beast in these ratings, and I wonder if that's because it's both completely forgettable AND a work of art because it's almost literally the original movie redone shot-for-shot in live action.

Nobody's mentioned Cinderella either, and that was actually pretty decent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

I was with you until this line. What? Mando follows a very strict code of honor: When you make a deal/take a job you see it through, and never remove your helmet. This is the way.

In the last episode he's very careful to make it look like he's accepted a job he doesn't intended to do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I started watching the Clone Wars theatrical movie. I’m about 35 mins in and it’s honestly not as bad as I’ve been lead to believe. I mean it’s a kids action movie cartoon. You guys were right though, Ahsoka’s whole background is nothing more than she gets off a ship and tells Anakin that she’s his new intern. The “tension” and banter between them is a bit forced and cliched but not horrible. Now I haven’t made it to Baby Jabba yet so maybe that’s were the awful cringe begins.

Yeah the Clone Wars movie isn't great but it's no worse than most of the first few seasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Apparently Ezra's was shown first in some book a few months before the trailer for TFA.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

There will be some angry rear end nerds tomorrow because they paid money for that expensive toy.

It's pretty funny how the show has kept merch makers out of the loops to keep plot details hidden, both with the lack of Baby Yoda toys and now this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Was that the first time the show has actually shot footage outdoors instead of on that crazy holo-stage?

Some of the Seven Samurai episode last season was done on location (or at least outside) as was some of s1e2.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 4, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He had plenty of time to pick it up again at the end.

Plus it's too memorable, I don't think it'll be like his rifle which disappeared for half a season without reason.

Captain Splendid posted:

Another question I have is: did Boba have his armour while rescuing Fennec and then lose it before the start of this season?

If the books are accurate Cobb had the armour for ~5 years.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 4, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mando's going to get himself a Beskar Razor Crest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Edit: wait, has he tried to kill his sleepig nephew yet?
Nah that's still a decade or two away.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Filoni already sort of did it in rebels.

And it should stay there, especially given his bullshit about it not actually being time travel because ~reasons~.

At least he seemed to say that he thought bringing it back would be a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lapti Nek and Yub Nub own.