Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, Stringless or Rust for Childe?

Rust is generally seen as the second best bow for him behind Skyward Harp from what I have read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Framboise posted:

what is "bis"

Best In Slot.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Wow that's gotta be infuriating, especially since that boss is the goddamn worst.

Am I not the only one who hates that thing? I was having trouble with it right after getting world level 5 and I looked around for advice and I mostly saw people saying that anyone who has issues with any content in the game is a casual noob who needs to "git gud".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

So are we suppose to buy the Memory of Roving Gales (Constellation level up for the Main Character) from the Souvenir shop in Mondstadt?

Yes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So do you really need a team built around setting up reactions for Childe to make him work? My perspective is pretty skewed since I've been using Diluc for so long but i feel like I'm just not getting much out of Childe when I swap to him. Builds up energy so slow, I can hit e once on Diluc and do like 9k damage or spend triple that amount of time hitting that with Childe's dagger attacks, etc.

Well, from what I understand Childe is all about his AoE via riptide, so he needs to be built around that, so lots of crit chance and crit damage. He also really wants the right weapon, either the 5* one on the banner or Rust. I've seen people on reddit saying that he can out dps Diluc by a large margin but I don't know yet since I don't have him built yet to compare.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So I can't compete any of the meteorite things, I just get shredded in seconds every time. How do I do anything vs 5 archers, an abyss mage, two giant axe guys, 3 big fire slimes and like 5-6 small slimes at the same time? It's just overwhelming and I just spend all of my time dodging until I run out of stamina and die.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ok, I think it was my own fault that I was having so much trouble, does the event scale to world level? Because I was trying the highest difficulty at WL5/AR42 and I think it was just scaled way too high for my level 60-70 characters. The second difficulty level was actually pretty easy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AG3 posted:

I only today realised that you can tell which lootable plants will spawn a Whopperflower, because the loot pop-up will have a speech bubble instead of the icon for the item you're looting.

Hopping on the roster bandwagon. No rerolling, which I do have some regrets about since I did a few rerolls much later on and got Keqing on one of them, and she was really fun to use. Too much time invested in this account though:

C6 Barbara
C3 Fischl
C2 Ningguang
C2 Xiangling
C1 Amber
C1 Beidou

Also got a 5 star weapon from the standard banner, Lost Prayers to the Sacred Winds, which is... I guess the movement speed is nice? Not that it sees any use since Barbara is using the dragon slayer book. Getting a 5 star weapon instead of character is such a letdown.

That is the strongest catalyst in the game, if you put it on an offensive caster like Ningguang you'll be happy to have it, it turns her into an offensive juggernaut.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AG3 posted:

I really want to level and gear her, but my resources.... :sweatdrop:

Ningguang is so busted strong it's ridiculous, I'm just kicking out constant 8k crits with her charged attack, dropping Jade Screens for 10k, and all of this is mixed with tons of smaller hits from her AoE normal attacks. On top of that she is nearly immune to most ranged attacks and constantly generates shields for herself and the whole party in coop, it's nuts. All of this and I don't even have 5* artifacts or good substats on my purple artifacts yet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pierson posted:

Fischl and Rust. I hope the dude who rolled got a thrill at least.

Superconductivity is about super-low temperatures lowering resistance to electricity, I guess in magic fantasy china it also lowers resistance to being bonked with big-rear end swords.

Superconduct lets electro reactions create more arcs, which makes some amount of sense, I would assume that the vulnerability to being bonked comes from the super low temperatures making things brittle.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Got C6 on Ningguang today, Jade Screen -> Ult -> Jade Screen -> charged attack /w 7x Star Jades is some insane burst damage. :haw:

Some Numbers posted:

Xingqiu? Childe?

Childe, but also amazing on Mona if you ever get her.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I don't have Mona and both Childe and Xingqiu are currently level 1.

Maybe just feed it to another artifact?

No, bank that thing, you don't run into artifacts from both the best set and with the correct elemental boost for characters you have that often. Even at 4* that thing is really good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

if ever there was a case for not localizing a word, that was probably it

Pretty much yeah, I had JP voices on for that scene and when I realized what they had done I was like "What the hell? Who localizes out a loving title drop for an incredibly obscure english word!?" I mean, everyone is going to assume it's game jargon anyway, there's no point in localizing it. In fact by doing so they have actually made the connection between the title and the story much harder to understand and have actually communicated less information to the user by translating it, it's incredible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I was just going through my artifacts and found this one.

:shrug:

Gladiator isn't very good for Childe or Xingqiu, so I'd keep the other one over that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So what do I do if I can't compete a meteor on the lowest difficulty? I'm stuck on the one with the fatui cryo guys and electro hammer guys, I've just spent 2 hours trying it and it's impossible and Mona won't give me a new set of meteors until I complete it. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've never tried but I think you can co-op them?

Not really an option for me. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Better than Rust? Interesting.

IIRC, C4-5 Rust is better than C1 Harp, but also requires a lot more crit rate and crit damage rolls on artifacts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Meiteron posted:

This entire line of conversation reminds me how jaw-droppingly insane the progression mechanics in Genshin are for a Gacha game.

Talk about pumping resources into too many characters as a bad thing and talk about leaving characters to focus on characters you already have because resources are so rare.

The whole idea of gacha games is to get you to spend money on acquiring new characters and/or the same characters in swimsuits alternative outfits and while people obviously still do that they seem to put every possible effort into developing brand new characters as punishing and time consuming as possible. It's kind of just leaving money on the table?

Not really, characters are sold based on aesthetic appeal, either visual or their characterization in the story or often both. In FGO, another very successful gacha game, it can take months to a year or more to fully level and skill up a character. But much like Genshin FGO puts a huge amount of effort into character aesthetics and characterization in the story because that's what gets people to roll.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So I was talking about Ningguang's damage at C6 earlyer, so I made a quick video to show what I meant: https://youtu.be/68LRX_IIuSw

This is at WL5 since I'm only AL43 but I really hope this will still be possible at WL6 when I farm up better equipment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

What would you say are the most important aspects of that? The sixth constellation gives the strong charged attack after using Starshatter, though most of the damage seems to be done before that. I imagine artifacts are playing a big role.

It seems like the most important single-target DPS constellations for that are C2, C6, and maybe C3?

Also, aren't you actually losing out on some DPS by not running through the screen for the geo buff?

C2 is probably the biggest thing, the double jade screen is a big source of damage, after that C5 then C6, though C1 is still very important for groups. Equipment also plays a big role, mostly the weapon, Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds at level 80, I have decent artifacts but not amazing ones, atk on two pieces and crit chance on the helm, two pieces are still 4* too.

EDIT: As far as passing through the screen for the buff, taking the time to do that delays the kill by a little bit and can risk getting caught in the attacks so I don't bother when I'm farming these guys. In longer fights it's worth it.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 25, 2020

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, forgot to consider weapon (though it actually seems like the effect on yours doesn't benefit your video much, due to gaining power over time). I don't have any 5* catalysts, so I'm using Solar Pearl (which will be upgraded to R2 really soon from the current BP). Solar Pearl seems like a reasonable match for Ningguang due to the short time between using skills and attacking.

My other catalyst candidate is Eye of Perception, which is R4. It's hard to tell which works out to more damage overall.

The effect of Lost Prayer was in full effect there actually, the text on it is somewhat misleading, you gain 8% elemental damage every 4 seconds that the character who has it equipped is on the field, so after 12 seconds you get +32% elemental damage until you switch to another character. IIRC Solar Pearl is her best 4* weapon. Memory of Dust is competitive with Lost Prayer but is harder to build for because of substats on artifacts and needing a crit helm and geo damage time piece.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bland posted:

Um you're going to have to explain this leap of logic to me dude because at no point did I say the game shouldn't have any of those things. This game has been managing on the "antagonists, plot, and character actions" front so far without relying on their other games. I just have 0 interest in anything you've described about the Honkai universe, like the magical madness virus or the inevitable extinction of mankind, or any of that. It doesn't sound like a compelling story to me. As opposed to Genshin, which I've largely enjoyed thus far.

Any story explained via a synopsis in forum posts is going to sound awful.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Mailer posted:

Taken in isolation Hydro is weak, but that's assuming single elements. If all characters could arbitrarily switch elements you'd still have Pyro on top.

When you start talking about reactions and getting into the big numbers, it would be Melt comps for pyro triggers and Vaporize for hydro triggers and... I guess still Superconduct if you have a character with enough physical to keep up. We don't have the characters for that, but we do have Klee/Diluc, so you're running pyro vape comps purely because Xingqui exists. If an ice XQ gets released then Diluc gets even better. If a fire XQ and a great hydro carry get released then there's competition.

The bigger thing is I don't care about the bulk of the cast. I don't want Xiao because he's an anemo carry. I don't want geo or electro. I don't want a cryo carry unless it is basically Chongyun without the conversion downside for endless freeze->superconduct->shatter and even then I'm not sure that'd keep up against multiplicative elemental scaling indefinitely. It's something that'd be solved over multiple balance passes normally but when people have blown thousands to get characters... that's scary.

They could buff the cryo and electro reactions to be more in line with hydro & pyro, that way no one gets nerfed and a bunch of characters get buffed while also balancing things out. That's how FGO does this, older & weaker characters get buffed periodically so even if you roll a "bad" character there is a decent chance that they will get buffs down the line and eventually be pretty good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fruity20 posted:

Question for pulls, is surcose limited or can I still hope to roll for her? I heard her c1 is good but never got a dupe for the previous banner.

She's not limited so you could run into her in the future while rolling for someone else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So I've been getting kicked from domain groups before they even begin because "Geo is crap" and I main Ningguang. This only really started up after Zhongli was released. :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tae posted:

The extreme of it is Fate Grand Order which dont' rerun specific limited characters for nearly 3 years.

Honkai reran limiteds uh...far more frequently than that so, here's hoping.

I'm trying to think of characters in FGO that never get reruns but all I can think of is Fujino and she's pretty much an exception to the rule, almost all limited characters get banners like a year later at most, sometimes more frequently.

As for Genshin I expect we will see pretty frequent rerun banners here since each new character must take a ton of work, a lot more than most gachas.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I really want to roll for Ganyu because of her character design but I really can't justify it even if she turns out to be good because she's built around aimed shots and those are a pain with a controller.

I'm just going to save for when they release someone who's actually good, getting burned on Zhongli who doesn't even work all that well as a support for Ningguang has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth overall. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

It runs fine on my PS4Pro except the load times are pretty long.

I used to play on PS4Pro until I got a PS5 and the difference is just staggering, the frame rate difference alone has made me much better at the game because it's so much easier to see attacks coming in and properly dodge them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

jesus christ

not worth investing probably since Kaeya is my DPS main :v: just give me geodaddy to bench

Chongyun greatly benefits from his first constellation so that's a great pull.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

My wild rear end guess based on gacha game powercreep is that by this time next year we'll be showered in enough purple books to take any random character up to level 90 and the big grind will be farming the rainbow books to take characters to level 120

I doubt it, that's an MMO model, in gatcha it's about leveling up more things, not leveling the same things even higher. If they make it really difficult to bring new characters up to speed that discourages people from spending to roll new characters and weapons.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Plenty of gachas have had level cap increases. FFBE went from like 80-100-120. Dragalia has level cap increases as part of the spiral system, but thats mostly a feature to power up powercrept units.

The AR system is built to keep scaling indefinitely, a person starting out wont be immediately inconvenienced aside from having to wait to get the AR they need to continue the story. Theres a good chance that the softcap we have right now might also act as a catchup mechanic for people joining in later, if they suddenly boost the AR exp you get from dailies and spending resin they might be able to get to AR50+ in two weeks, something that took months for most of us.

I've played both of those and if Genshin goes that route I'll probably quit. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The boss of this event is really killing any desire to play the game for me. In coop I constantly get bad teams, I can do it solo but it's an unfun 9.5 minute fight where I go through 20 food items every time. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Even when using amber? I cant see how its taking more than 3 minutes unless you are getting stuck with recharging shields and failing to do damage when that happens

I've tried using her, but the aoe phase ends really fast so I almost never get any shots off with her anyway. It doesn't help that I'm on PS4 so I'm stuck using a controller which is just awful for aimed shots.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tsyni posted:

I am using a controller on PC, basically I hit the shielded area and immediately am switching to amber and getting her charged shot up. You should figure out where to set your shot after a few tries because it does the same position every time. I can usually get the head weakspot in one cycle, but if you don't you really just have to wait less than a minute for your run to the next shielded area and then you will get another try with Amber. But, yeah, goons should be a great help. I was doing it fairly quickly by myself, but once I got a good group going in random coop (Mona, Klee, Bennett, Keqing) we were getting close to 1 cycling it most times.

I tried this again and everything went wrong. I'm just going to give up on this event, the last run gave me a stress migraine and made me vomit.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I see a lot of people acting like Fischl is just a support but she's not. Her basic attack string has almost as much DPS as Diluc and Razor, she's absolutely designed to be a carry if you want to use her that way. The main issue she has is that she's split physical/electro damage but you can just gear her for atk/crit/critdmg and she works fine as a carry especially past C1 with Rust.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tae posted:

The main issue is that most combat situations involve more than 1 enemy and claymore is just a better weapon for that. And Diluc is pyro in an element that he's allowed to crit on reactions.

Yes, Diluc is a better carry. Razor arguably too though Razor's AoE damage is negligible since he's all about physical and most of his wider hitting AoE is electro based, Razor is mostly better because his basic combo puts out the highest DPS in the game and he self buffs his attacks like crazy.

IME most of the time the AoE on claymores doesn't matter that much, almost all AoE ends up coming from ults and skills that explicitly hit a wide area like Diluc's ult.

Ibblebibble posted:

Depends on the player, I find it fun as hell to machine-gun spam.

This.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

the reason you don't use fischl dps is because that's splitting your damage types

doing all physical with attacks, then electro from E/Q/C6 means part of your damage isn't getting boosted by your goblet. And you'd need superconduct AND a VV user to amplify both types of damage
the best DPSes are the ones that can make most, or all, of their damage one type, like Klee, Diluc, Keqing, etc, so that your damage all gets boosted by your goblet, and you only need 1 support to shred resist (cryo/electro for superconduct, anemo VV for anyone doing elemental primary). Its not like Razor, where he prefers physical damage though he has Electro, as that's mainly there to help him keep triggering superconduct. Fischl's electro damage is very high, making a physical build rather unwieldy for her.

And if you decide to take an Electro goblet instead of a physical one, why not just swap off of Fischl after pushing E and use somebody who's getting their basic attacks boosted by their goblet? Why not use somebody who can trigger more electro-based reactions for Fischl to proc her talent damage on?

Fischl's fine for autoattacking as a backup, but as a primary DPS she's far from optimal.

By that logic Razor is a bad carry too. You say that doesn't count because Razor's physical damage is very high but Fischl has access to Rust, a weapon with what amounts to +40% physical damage at R1, scaling to +80% at R5. With Rust you can effectively have the equivalent of both an electro and a physical goblet at once.

My point isn't that Fischl is the best carry in the game or some such nonsense, my point is that she is a top tier carry and players without Diluc, Razor, etc shouldn't just dismiss her out of hand especially if they have C1 and Rust.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Crescent pike really needs to be nerfed or something or it will be the only worthwhile DPS polearm for the rest of the life of the game, either that or they need to make all the current and future polearms completely broken so that they are at least worth considering over crescent.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nakar posted:

Or they need to create Polearm users with high multipliers but a smaller number of slower-executing hits. That appeared to have been the idea for Rosaria (who had Diluc-esque multipliers but a similar 4 hit chain), but they pulled all her data and we don't know what they were planning with it or whether it'll change when she comes back.

Also it's looking like Hu Tao may suck with the Crescent Pike as she has bad Base ATK, converts her damage to Pyro, scales better with HP% (though if it just adds to her sheet ATK it could result in very powerful Pike hits), and wants to do Charged Attacks to apply her Pyro DoT. The 5 star Polearm she's been shown with is also extremely heavily tuned toward her (and Zhongli to a lesser extent) and is probably much better for them than the Crescent Pike. The relative value of the Pike is also significantly worse on a Pyro character with actual Pyro conversion (unlike Xiangling) because she can trigger a lot of Vaporizes or Melts and that's going to do way more damage than Pike procs.

Now, have I run the numbers for that on Hu Tao? I have not. She might turn out to also be really good with the Crescent Pike, I dunno. She only has one multihit so maybe, maybe not. If she wants to spam Charged Attacks while her skill's up and then switch out to let other people abuse her Crit Rate buff then I don't think she'll really want it.

There are ways to design around pike but it just being there is massively restrictive. Plus from what I understand the melee weapons were supposed to differentiate based on attack speed, claymores being slow and hard hitting, swords being in the middle ground and polearms being quick, they could abandon that design choice but I doubt they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Clarste posted:

"All damage stacks additively" seems to contradict what people here often say about elemental damage on the cup being the single biggest boost in damage (which also tracks with my own personal experience).

I was under the impression that identical damage boosts stacked additively but distinct boosts stacked multiplicatively.

All damage boosts are indeed additive, ATK boosts are multiplicative on damage boosts which are then multiplied by crit damage if applicable, IIRC the formula is something like ((baseatk*atk%)+flatatk)*(dmg+dmg)*(critdmg+critdmg)*(resistance)