Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
When you first get to a bounty area, you have to hunt down "traces" of the bounty, which will be either an interactable spot on the ground, an environmental pickup you have to grab (like mint) or an enemy you have to defeat. Elemental sight will show you a blue-colored airflow pointing in the direction of a trace, like Tae and Anime Schoolgirl said, and will also show a red glowy mark over the pickup/enemy that has the trace (if you can see it from where you're standing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

I kinda expected there would be a spike in cooldown time when you let it run out entirely, but ten seconds? Sheesh.

Edit to prevent double-post: In-game notice says they're going to change the environmental damage scaling to be two levels below current WL and cap at WL4. DOT from burning grass and damage from Electro-Charged water will be brought in line with this change tomorrow, but Overload damage from Electro hitting burning grass won't be adjusted for a while.

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 13, 2020

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Geomancing posted:

If you're not interested in squeezing every last fraction of a percentage of damage out of a team composition, or going for that fraction of a second quicker completion time in the Spiral Abyss, do you have to worry about any of this stuff? I'm basically just playing for exploration, story, sidequests, that kind of thing.

I use Anemo Traveler as my main damage dealer with Xiangling and Kaeya providing elemental procs I can use for Swirl. As long as you're making use of elemental reactions and have a vague idea of what kind of build each character should be getting (trying to use Barbara as your main attacker would be an uphill climb, for example), you shouldn't run into much trouble.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

ElMudo posted:

They've made me realize I must be terrible at looking at the minimap. One of the geoculi I missed was right by a map marker I placed for a Dandy challenge.

My experience with using them: teleport to the specified area, immediately see an obvious landmark that looks like a prime Geoculus location, ignore it at first because I probably already checked it, find nothing, go to the obvious landmark, find the Geoculus right there in plain sight.

This happened for three out of the four Geoculi I had left to find when the update dropped. :doh:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know how this game manages the visual distances it does. You can literally see Mondstadt (the city) from the top of the Jade Chamber, as well as some other stuff like Stormterror's lair. And details are still loaded in, like I can see some updraft on Cape Oath.

While gliding around Jueyun Karst, I noticed that the game tends to spawn vision-obscuring cloud cover once you fall down to a certain altitude. It might be there to cover up the transition between the regular, detailed models and a less-detailed map used for far-off objects (like the incomplete models you can see past the zone walls).

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The geo boss is actually super easy to avoid all the attacks on, except the one tricky one where you have to jump (?) to avoid an AOE.
The main problem with it is that it's so slow because damage to the pillars ignores your actual damage, so even a super-buff carry will take a while to break down the pillars and at least two cycles of breaking pillars in the final finish-it-off stage to kill the boss. (Apparently noelle's ult gives her enough range to hit multiple pillars at once and once-cycle the final stage though?)

Noelle's ult adds on just enough shield-stripping that you can finish the last phase in one cycle if you're quick about it, yes. You can also use her shield to tank that AOE that lesser other characters would have to jump over, and it can deal an extra little burst of Geo damage to pillars when you activate it if you're standing close enough. She's the best possible pick for that fight, IMO.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ashenai posted:

Oh hey, new thread title! And the answer to it is that the word that was translated as "Allogene" (that is, Vision-bearer) in English is Genshin (原神) in Japanese. (It means something like Fundamental Divinity or Fundamental Spirit).

Not Japanese, so take this with a grain of salt, but the connotations of the prefix 原 also seem to center around the idea of the thing attached to it being the primitive, unrefined form of something else. One of the possible meanings my dictionary lists for it is "raw", for instance, but it's raw in the sense of something unprocessed, not something fresh and alive—raw cotton (原綿), raw materials (原料), crude oil (原油). I think this matches up with what we've been told about Vision bearers having the potential to enter Celestia—they're the unrefined, "rough" forms of gods, like uncut gemstones or unspun wool.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Tier lists are useless unless they detail the characters' roles and what puts them in their position. Xiangling as elemental support is quite different from Xiangling as a main DPS, for instance. I used both of my spear prototypes on Prototype Grudge, so I don't have access to Crescent Pike and can't use her as a main DPS no matter how good she is on paper. She's stuck on Pyro application duty.

RareAcumen posted:

Razor's level 51 now but so far nothing else has changed.

I need to beat an Anemo and Geo Hypostasis on my own for the handbook. Who's good to bring along?

Fischl or Amber would probably be handy for Anemo Hypostasis; there's some points in the fight where I think you can only hit it with an archer. Anemo Traveler isn't really a good pick, since the Hypostasis is immune to Anemo and you can't get Gust Surge to stay in one spot to apply other elemental procs. Noelle or Ningguang might be helpful in blocking some of its AOE attacks.
Edit: Oh yeah, Geo Traveler's meteors might be helpful in picking up some of its energy orbs to keep it from doing AOEs. Haven't tried that myself, though.

Noelle is fantastic for the Geo Hypostasis: 3-combo -> dodge cancel to take down the pillars, use her shield to tank the glowy pillar AOE, and pop her ult once you get to the last phase where it spawns the three pillars. You can probably use Razor if you'd prefer, but you'll likely have to two-cycle the last phase.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Vargs posted:

Everyone is good and worth investing in if you like them except Amber/Lisa/Kaeya/MC imo.

I'm AR40 now and still using both Kaeya and Anemo Traveler. Kaeya's skill has a pretty fast cooldown, so it's good for setting up reactions; his burst has a lot of uptime at C2 and with the amount of energy recharge I have on him. I don't know if he performs well as a main DPS, but he pairs well with Barbara for freezing things and makes good use of the 500 Cool Steels you're going to get from wishes. (Having Glacial Waltz and Pyronado up at the same time is fun, also. :v:)

Venti is of course a straight improvement on Anemo Traveler, but I suspect that being a discount Archon will be the general theme of the various Traveler elements. The way Geo Traveler's meteors work makes them kind of unbearable to play, IMO, but I think Anemo Traveler is a decent pick if you want to spread elements and blow things around in single-player. Two out of the other three Anemo characters are 5-stars and the cooldown on Sucrose's skill is almost twice as long as Palm Vortex's max cooldown.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Sarsapariller posted:

I was very confused when I read that the thread thought Oceanid was the hardest boss, because I had consistently roflstomped it every single time without issue.

Then I read that the thread thinks Lisa, the ranged electric caster with auto-homing attacks is C tier, and suddenly I found clarity

I assume that other people are like me and found her impossibly clunky to use. I didn't get any other Electro characters until ~AR37 and my only archer is Amber, so I've been avoiding Oceanid on account of Those drat Birds for a good while.

I tried it again today now that I have Beidou and ahahaha, nope, still costs me an unacceptable amount of my burst healing/revival foods. :cry:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

RareAcumen posted:

On the topic of characters in this game I've got the absolute worst non-Paimon Sucks take ITT

I think Zhongli's voice is way too deep for anyone in this artstyle to be having.

Which voice? I kinda like his EN one, since the clash between its creaky-old-manishness and his anime pretty-boy looks hints at his true identity.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Flair posted:

If Chongyun is your main dps for team b, you are supposed to build around his abilities: https://www.reddit.com/r/PopsicleMains/comments/jv3ae6/switching_from_instructor_set_to_vv_set_for/. Otherwise using him as a support is generally a bad idea unless you just need his ult and/or converting your autoattacks into ice is not bad for you.

I wonder if a character with a Cryo damage-boosting cup will deal more damage while affected by Chongyun's skill. Has anyone tested this?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
It's a shame that the enemies spawned specifically for the meteorite shards don't give EXP or loot or anything (so there's no benefit to sticking around to fight them). It'd be nice to get a little farming in alongside the shard gathering without having to take detours to do so.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
The delivery of Scaramouche(?)'s lines sounded impressively natural, nuanced like a real person in a real conversation. I wonder who his VA is.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Do the meteorites get progressively more difficult the more you do? The first five or so weren't all that bad, but I'm starting to get what people mean when they talk about how annoying the archers are. Switching Xiangling out for Xingqiu helped a bit—applying Pyro wasn't working well with the meteorites' Pyro aura and being able to freeze the big guys in place is supremely helpful—but these combinations smart something fierce.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Whoreson Welles posted:

What the gently caress is with everyone's roster? Is my luck that poo poo?

F2P and no 5* characters here, unless you count the Traveler. I think I might have made the mistake of using some of my primogems to roll on the standard banner, but all I have to show for that is a single Wolf's Gravestone. :rolldice:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

:eyepop: I was already planning on rolling for him, but now I'm extra hyped for those cool attack animations. Just gotta hope my pity doesn't hit off-banner; I've barely got enough gems to hit it in the first place.

(I went to look at my pull history and yup, I did waste a lot of gems on permanent banner for some reason. I've got ~50 points towards pity on it right now.)

Some Numbers posted:

I don't have Mona and both Childe and Xingqiu are currently level 1.

Maybe just feed it to another artifact?

You might as well level it and see how the substats shake out. More HP, Xingqiu; more crit damage, Childe; if you hit mostly flat defense, stop leveling it and slap it on one of them while you look for a replacement to feed it to.

Edit:

UltraRed posted:

I hope the thunder nation is on the other side of the dragonspine. That hole in the map ticks me off.

You can see a bunch of large islands off in the distance from where Beidou's ship is docked in Guyun Stone Forest. They just came back from a trip to Inazuma, ergo those islands are probably Inazuma.

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 20, 2020

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Roland Jones posted:

The hardest meteorite for me, and the only one where I caved and did it on a lower difficulty after repeated failures with multiple team comps, was in Mondstadt. Because it was, like, ten Treasure Hoarders at once, two-three of the "leaders" running in to dropkick me in the face while the rest chucked fire and electric bottles and triggered constant overloads (not even on me; the lingering patches from their attacks seemed to interact with each other) to toss me around even more. It was agony.

This event has been pretty easy for me otherwise, but that one meteorite, wow. That was the worst.

Huh, that's the one I have the least trouble with. They're all light enough to be caught in Gust Surge, so with proper positioning I can hit 'em all at once and move them far, far away while I whittle down the 2-3 new ones that spawn to replace any that die in the burst.

The ranged ones also say a voiceline before they throw, making them much easier to dodge than hilichurl archers. They move into the circle if you run to the opposite side, too, so ranged characters aren't required to deal with them.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

gandlethorpe posted:

Ugh, I just ran into a second batch of meteorites in a row that ALL pulsed cryo. There has to be something besides rng deciding that.

All meteorites in the same batch pulse the same element. I've never seen one with anything other than Cryo, Pyro, or Electro, so that's...about an 11% chance? Not too unlikely.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Out of curiosity what chapter of the adventurer log are people on? I've been walled at chapter 7 for ages because I'm either too busy or too tired to farm and it wants me to get 8 artifacts to level 16 and ascend a character to level 80 cap.

Also I just realized today that the only 4* character I'm missing at this point is Chongyun. And Xinyan when she comes out. I'm too fanatical about collecting characters. :shepface:

Are you sure you don't mean chapter 8? That's the one with the "get 8 4* artifacts to 16" and "ascend a character to phase 5" requirements.

I got to chapter 9 earlier this week, but I don't plan on trying to finish the rest of it until I hit AR45 and start doing 5* artifact farming.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Rex Lapis arrested for misappropriation of funds, news at 11

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

gandlethorpe posted:

There's some lady named Hu Tao who's master of the funeral parlor, so she's probably not the one in the video. That lady looks too plain to be a future playable.

Ferrylady is an existing in-game NPC; she stands outside the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor. From Yansheng Teahouse, cross the wooden bridge, then turn left and walk until you see her.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

moush posted:

Official Zhongli post is up now for those who weren't looking on honeyhunter.

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/6902

That gif of the elemental skill hold explains the rumor about him being able to "burst shields," hah.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ytlaya posted:

The next area is interesting in that it implies that there will be smaller area launches between the big nation-sized ones (since I don't think this next addition corresponds to another country, since the next country is Inazuma).

Seems that way. In addition to Dragonspine, there's indications that the Thousand Winds Temple in Mondstat might open up at some point. In Liyue, there's the interior of Sal Terrae (which people have already figured out how to glitch into), the Chasm, and whatever's going on with the sealed god in Nantianmen.

Hard to say how many of them will open up between now and the Inazuma release. It'd make sense for them to keep some of the ones I listed in reserve so that we have events from multiple regions during the lull between Inazuma and Sumeru, though.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

No Wave posted:

There's only been one favonious weapon on a banner so far (lance). I can still dream of a full favonious weapon banner. Each time it goes off - and it can go off once every 12 seconds at r0 - your leading character gets 6 energy and your team gets 3.6 energy, meaning you're roughly getting 17 free energy every 15 seconds per fav weapon you have.

Oh, the team gets energy too? Sweet. I'd better actually use mine, then.

My Kaeya already has a ton of energy recharge, so it'll be interesting to see how much faster this makes everyone's bursts fill up.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

No Wave posted:

Keep in mind - you have to build crit on any favonious carrier to use the passive reliably. You want to crit off of your support abilities (which is why it's so good with Diona as she fires five blocks) to make it work so you'll need a good amount for anyone carrying one. This can be rather expensive to get a lot of usage out of for a lot of characters for a while if their abilities only hit once (getting Kaeya to 50% crit is not cheap!).

It's still going to be better than Cool Steel, though. :v:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Another in-game survey is out, rewarding 30,000 mora. It includes a write-in suggestion section, so go petition them to add 2FA, or create more chat emojis, or change the borders of the visions shown in the upper-left corner of the character screen to the Liyue one where appropriate, or whatever.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Mailer posted:

Wha? Where? Someone mentioned it earlier and I'm not seeing any new quests.

Try logging out and back in; it's up for me.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

Honkai power is corruptive and leads those that wield it into madness and destructive urges. It's just that people have different resistances to it. Consider it like having a built in hazmat suit. Doesn't mean that you're immune to it. Just means that most people tend to go nuts a bit quicker. However, a high enough resistance means you can use it in a diluted form, but it'll eventually turn you into an even stronger form of Honkai entity --- a ruler/archon Herrsher with dominion over a given concept or element.

This seems like a piece of the puzzle of what Visions/Delusions actually are. If Delusions are Visions imbued with Honkai power, maybe the Fatui Harbingers got their positions by having a high resistance to Honkai power and the Foul Legacy Transformation is a controlled version of the conversion into a Herrsher? It'd also explain why Scaramouche, Childe, and Il Dottore are all kinda mentally unstable. Childe less so than the other two, but he seemed to get a bit more volatile once he started using his Delusion in the Golden House boss fight, IIRC. He's also the youngest/newest member of the Harbingers, so his mental corruption might have progressed less.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

So, I posted about all of that way back. Really suggest people just check my posts in this thread.

I think some of those posts are in the old thread; I don't remember seeing anything about ascension materials in this one and I've been here since the current one opened up.

theblackw0lf posted:

Constellations were mentioned a lot in this event. Has there been more mention in the game as to what they are? Maybe there has and I wasn't paying attention. I was just aware of it as a gameplay mechanic.

Mona's story quest mentions some more details, I think, like how she can't use astrology to glean information about the Traveler or their sibling like she can for other people, since they're from another world. One of the Traveler's voice-over lines also mentions that the stars in Teyvat are different from the ones in the Traveler's world.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I figure miHoYo is probably going to make sure that GI can be a standalone experience, and the events of GGZ and HI3 will be extended-universe stuff that won't be necessary for the reveals of the game to hit right. The alternative would make the story flop hard.

More HI3-based theorizing: I heard someone note an interesting bit of information in one of the speculation threads on Reddit, which is that the in-game mails we get from Paimon show the letters of her name in all caps and with dots between them (unlike other characters). More evidence that Paimon is an E.L.F.? Maybe of a weapon that belonged to Kiana or her Teyvat-analogue (who is probably the Tsaritsa, since the pseudo-Russia connection and ice-blue color scheme are connections too juicy to be coincidental)? Or she could be some other entity entirely, a P.A.I.M.O.N., whatever that is.

Ruby Prism posted:

Having played an okay amount of Honkai Impact 3rd, I felt the lore was simultaneously impenetrable and incredibly uninteresting. The character drama carried the storyline on an emotional level - but the history of the world, the conflicts between the factions, time paradoxes, alternate realities, etc - all struck me as "my first fanfic" drivel.

I feel like all works involving alternate timelines get this way if they run on long enough—the conflicts become big impenetrable messes that only hit right for people who've been around since day one and experienced everything gradually enough to get themselves emotionally situated in the conflict in time for subsequent plot beats/reveals.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

valuum posted:

I just became aware though, so it's A) is it possible and B) would I need to go all inn to max the BP now

We're fourteen days in on the BP, with 24 days left. You'll probably be fine, but do try to get as many weeklies done as you can.

Lechtansi posted:

Most of the weekly stuff is super doable, except the stuff that requires resin. You can even fight all the bosses and world bosses without costing any resin. Battle pass is basically there to give you a weekly goal in the absence of story content. If that's your jam, do it. Otherwise skip it.

The only things on the battle pass that really require resin are the "use X amount of resin" quests. Just like the boss fights, completing domains and leylines without grabbing their rewards still counts towards their respective BP requirements.

Leylines can be a bit inconvenient, since new ones don't show up until the next day unless you collect their rewards. If you don't want to spend any resin on them you have to do 4/day five days per week to finish the weekly.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Hey, has anybody figured out if the text on the domain pillars means anything?

It's written in the Khaenri'ah script, of course, but it seems to be gibberish at first glance.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

To be fair, if this is some sort of AU version of the Ark from the fall of Earth that we're currently on (and the massive number of hints to that aren't a huge trick to throw people off) then the two entities* that were launched from Earth and built it have been MIA from Earth's sensors for at least around 50,000 years. If not far longer then that if you factor in other possibilities like how long ago Kevin, Fu Hua, and the maybe half dozen or so Old Earth survivors on the repopulated (and heavily under siege again) Earth declared it MIA and wrote that project off.

And that's before you factor in the possibility that Ark had...something awful happen to it. Since near as anyone on Earth could tell the very moment it reached the range of being considered outside of the solar system it literally just disappeared from reality. Maybe it got cube'd by Kiana like the PC travelers did?

It could also be that both Teyvat and the Earth that the Ark was launched from are pocket worlds. If the "sky and stars" are fake, perhaps the reason the Ark fell off sensors when it reached the edge of the solar system is because that's where the outer boundary of the dimension is?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

More information about what the Abyss could possibly be: the Prayers for X artifacts all talk about priests with crowns of silver-white branches going into the "deep places" of the world to seek information about the possibility that their current prophetically-assured prosperity might end in the future, a matter which the envoys of the gods are conspicuously silent on. There's ruins of ancient civilizations in these "deep places," and mentions of a silver tree where the crowns are kept. Where else have we heard about a silver tree? The Dead Ley Line materials, which you get from Abyss mages. Their descriptions say they come from "deep within the earth," and they're filled with a sort of light blue energy. Didn't you say the Honkai corruption on Dainsleif's arm was light blue, unlike the red Honkai corruption shown in HI3? I'll eat my hat if these color schemes are unrelated.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

On the subject of the knights, do we know what they actually mostly all left to deal with and i just missed it? is that what dragonspine is gonna be about?

It's been called both an "expedition" and a "crusade," but I don't think we've been given any more details than that. Maybe they're taking the fight with the Abyss Order into the Abyss?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

As far as we know so far the major variant of the Honkai infection is indeed a light blue to blueish color. If we're assuming that the sealed gods can't project a colored form of their energy into things then that would fit with Honkai infections in this timeline being blue colored.

Possibly also purple too. Since the Cicin's have weird purplish markings on them that you can see on their back along with corpse grey skin and a reverb that is typical to all Honkai infected that are too far gone. The skin is a sign in HI3 and Gun Girls Z that they were "low tolerance" humans that got blasted with too much Honkai energy. It also suggests that there's a Herrsher about to be "born" in the immediate future. Which would explain why they're collecting flowers that may be related to Honkai radiation. Along with why bribing them with those flowers or their products are the only way you can get them to not go axe crazy at the sight of another human.

Red + blue = purple, duh. :smugbert:

But seriously, remember how the tears that fell from Dvalin were red? However, the Tainted Blood item that drove Dvalin crazy in the first place and the fire that Collei (girl from the manga) could make after being exposed to "archon residue" are purple, like a lot of the Honkai stuff from GGZ and HI3. Seems like we've got both purple and blue Honkai(?) energy floating around in Teyvat. The Unknown God, meanwhile, has red accents and attacks, unlike the purple ones of Herrscher Kiana. Hmmmmm.

quote:

Just take a look around the next time you enter a fire, lightning, or ice aligned one and note that in many of the domains there is no roof that extends out forever. That's a planet, in many cases. Or a cavern on one. It's basically a past, future, or something that occurs when the Honkai wins. It also would explain how we're getting access to all these artifacts with ancient stories. We're essentially looting the remains of a genocided planet, species, or timeline depending on your opinion on what the Abyss is. :stonk:

They could also just be so deep underground that the ceilings are too high to see. :v:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

I'm not entirely certain that the Abyss is even on Teyvat. Like, it's hard to imagine that it's just a straight up Agartha situation when you've got massive super tornadoes literally surrounding each place by dozen underneath a place so deep that it can house them. Either it's basically a layered world sort of situation or we're stepping outside the bounds of nominal reality. Possibly the former, given all the references to a dead civilization below Teyvat. But still, the places we see are so hosed up it's hard to imagine that someone else wouldn't be screaming about their findings at the top of their lungs.

That there's seemingly a woman (Who now that I think about it fits Raiden Mei more than Kiana.) down there at the very least that seems to have no problem navigating the Abyss suggests that the Abyss itself can be navigated and inhabited. Even if it's no longer a place most people born elsewhere would probably want to do.

Keep in mind that the domain entrances are mostly locked before we get to them, and the one portal to the Abyss that we know of was originally on the tallest mountain in the world. It might be difficult for average joes to enter them—heck, it could be that only Vision users can get in. I imagine we'll learn more about all this stuff once once we get to Sumeru.

My personal suspicion is that the ruins of Khaenri'ah fell into the Abyss after it got destroyed, just like all the other dead civilizations down there that are part of the cycle of prosperity and destruction according to the Prayers for X circlets, and that's where the "sinners" live now.

quote:

Also, I'm probably going to laugh if that's the case. Doubly so since i'm pretty sure we're the first ones to put that together if it's true. What were the colors associated with the other two enemy types in HI?

Also, Collei's hosed up Honkai-esque powers were called the Black Flame, and involved a serpent from what I recall.

Creature is orange and mecha is blue. I saw some enemies that had red coloring while looking though pictures of Honkai beasts, but I don't know if they're from HI3 or GGZ or what.

That's correct, but the flames look distinctly purple-tinged in the manga.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

TheFluff posted:

No, that's still the case for basically all of the game's mythology. There's no deeper meaning to e.g. the archons being named after demons in Ars Goethia, they're just grabbing cool names and some vague thematic things out of a hat basically. It's sorta analogous to technobabble in sci-fi.

Technobabble is impenetrable and difficult to understand by design, though. What's going on here is use of the framework of existing mythology/concepts to foreshadow connections; how deep the connections go can vary depending on the writer, so it's generally necessary to observe how a given writer/writing team uses them for a while before you get a decent grasp of the level of thought they put into things, but unlike technobabble, the audience is supposed to understand what's being conveyed.

Anime has a bad but earned reputation for just throwing around imagery and naming styles to "look cool" (thanks Evangelion) instead of utilizing them towards a secondary goal, but if you observe how the GI team is incorporating outside concepts into their writing, it's pretty clear there's a thread of logic to some of their choices. I think the writers are committed to a moderate level of foreshadowing and conclusions can be drawn when they choose to put different things under the umbrella of a common theme. We can look at the fact that every Archon we've heard of so far is named after a demon from the Ars Goetia, notice that Paimon is also named after a demon from the Ars Goetia, and know that that there's an implied connection there, even though there's no way to tell whether the connection is "Paimon was once an archon" or "Paimon is a god" or something else. We can look at the fact that Teyvat is the word for "ark" in a language, wonder about the connections of that concept to the world, and suspect that it may be connected to something called Project ARK in a previous game of theirs that they've suggested might be taking place in the same storyline. We can look at the fact that all of the titles of the Fatui Harbingers we've seen reference characters in the commedia dell'arte, and thereby draw conclusions about the titles of the remaining Harbingers and make informed speculations about what their character might be like. The game's connections may not run much deeper than that, but they exist and serve a purpose that isn't just "name sounds cool."

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

There's also some neat stuff. The dungeons that have no repeatables talk about the other protectors of Monstadt. Apparently there is a Lion, an Eagle, a Wolf (Andrius), and a Falcon. Weirdly enough, the temples are not entirely analogous to a compass. So they were probably built after whatever sunk the Temple of Time into the see, since the east most one is on the edge of the "bay" area.

The Lion is the Liontooth Knight and the Falcon is Vennessa. Yes, Vennessa was the original Liontooth Knight, but the Four Winds were established after she passed on her position, ascended to Celestia and became a falcon.

The Eagle's Gate actually isn't one of the temples of the Four Winds—there should be a temple belonging to Dvalin, but it's missing for some reason. Maybe it was destroyed, maybe it never existed. :shrug:

RareAcumen posted:

So what characters don't have missions where you can play as them?

I'm guessing Chongyun, Barbara, Beidou, Bennet and Sucrose? Either that or I just haven't found those quests yet.

Diona, Keqing, Noelle, and Ningguang don't have story quests either. Did we get to use Fischl during Unreconciled Stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Vargs posted:

Leveled up and kitted out Beidou since she seemed like the coolest character in this game.

I'm pretty underwhelmed, not gonna lie. She's pretty godawful if you aren't getting nonstop perfect counters which isn't particularly practical. Very satisfying when it works out though. I kinda can't believe how bad her normal/charged attacks are.

Beidou gets the maximum damage bonus as long as she gets hit twice during her counter; doing a perfect counter just means you only have to take one hit instead of two. Lightning Storm (the talent that increases attack speed/damage) will activate in either case, so as long as there are a couple enemies around you won't need perfect counters to proc it.

That said, the first time I used her against Andrius was one of the most fun fights I've had in this game, even with all her talents at level 1. :getin: