Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

whenever the BBC discusses Doctor Who they always say that people were watching from behind their sofa - how big are these cunts houses you can go behind a sofa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember when tvs had like cupboard doors to pull across them when they weren't being watched so they looked just like a cabinet. TVs never used to be pride of place in the living room like they are now.
I am irrationally prejudiced against big tvs and have to watch my mouth when staying with friends with ginormous plasma screen tvs. My tv is 22" and knows its place.I quite often watch it as a reflection in a mirror positioned on a shelf behind my laptop.

My gran had one of those TV cupboards, I quite liked it as it seemed secretive and something that a spy would have. Rather than than mounted above the fireplace so if you're watching it its like sitting on the front row at a cinema.

My house wasn't big enough to hide behind the sofa, but we made do with cushions and hands.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://twitter.com/tomcruise/status/1070071781757616128

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I reckon its always good to start something now than think of the time you should have been doing it. You're still the youngest you'll ever be, so its never too late to change I reckon - especially if you might live for another eight hundred years as a space cyborg or something. But good luck with whatever you do, there's a reason why you didn't do it yet, but don't let that stop you from doing something now. I keep thinking about learning an instrument and don't follow my own advice, but one day.

In personal news that housemate that had been driving me crazy finally moved out today and my new girlfriend is moving in next week, so many twists and turns this year.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

They were once throwing lots of bread out in Tesco so I started to eat it and they wrestled the bread out of my hands and threw me out of the shop. I can't help but feel if I was sober at the time that my eating of the bread would have gone much better.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Yorkshire uses contactless for buses but Lancashire has yet to catch up. Lovely to catch town>city buses and needing tenner to pay when they've removed most of the nearby cash machines (and toilets and anything else that might be useful before a two hour bus journey)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

But Jaeluni, why don't you celebrate Christmas? :(

I used to hate it but have been getting back into the spirit this year. I love the tackiness of it, have been listening to Christmas music of my own free will now its not forced on me in public spaces and might even send Christmas cards this year. Yes its capitalistic and removed from various traditions and is an awful time for a lot of people, but on the other hand I quite like the smell of tinsel.

Maybe just talk about Christmases you've had and how people celebrate Christmas differently in other places, even if its just saying that other countries have their own Christmas songs? You don't need to mention different beliefs, but the idea that there are a plurarity of cultures around the world that celebrate Christmas is part and parcel of the idea of Santa flying around the world delivering presents and general black magic of Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVUW11FENs

though I was watching a documentary on youtube the other day about this very subject and they said Father Christmas doesn't exist so its a veritable minefield of Christmas disaster whatever approach there is. Can anyone else sit in on the call? I don't think you need to tell fibs, just frame it in a certain way (she is only 4 after all)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I remember discussing with my mum when I was a child that father christmas must be real because the imagery is in shops everywhere and if he wasnt real then that would mean the whole concept of shopping around Christmas time was made up. I think Christmas is good for that as it disillusions people at a young age that marketing is a lie, capitalism is predatory and sets you up for questioning the existence of God.

I do like getting gifts for people, you don't have to go apeshit, just some book they might have mentioned wanting to read a few months back, or a particular bit of booze they wouldn't get for themselves, or just some weird tat like a fidget spinner that glows in the dark. I think its less about asking someone what they want than showing that you know them a bit, and if you dont know what their weird hobbies and interests are, give em a call and have a chat.

Winter can be loving miserable so its nice to have a third of it based on the idea of coming together and making merry. Especially as next Christmas we will be eating chlorinated gruel and working in the dogshit mines.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Free yourself from the chains of turkey. It is tasteless bird that only acts as tissue to mop up the gravy, takes up too much room in the oven and causes more stress than its worth.

Instead make a simple lime jelly with the flying saucers sweets in it, a festive coronavirus jelly that will make you the toast of the town this christ mass day.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you're eating any game, watch out for the shot, a cracked tooth is not a nice way to spend Christmas.

I like watching old cooking programmes to see how unappetising the food looks and no apparent thought put to food hygiene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunuXThp51E

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there not something from Harry potter you could draw a comparison to in order to explain it to her?

Think of the bubble like Dumbledore dying. Once he's dead you can't bring him back to life, like once you leave the bubble you can't add another.

Do they bring him back to life in the books though? I dont know.

My family seem to be playing bubble bobble themselves this year, with multiple clusters of bubbled houses meeting other bubbled houses and the whole thing sounding loving mad after everyones been isolating all year. They keep oining me to join in this plague swapping fun, but even if there wasn't a virus I wouldn't want to be driven around to siblings partners houses and eat their bland food and listen to racism, so its an easy-ish choice. I'm more worried about my relatives who have lung diseases being swept up in this bullshit.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have a bunch of tinned stuff. My pal criticised me for stocking up as he thought if everyone did that the shelves would be empty - but really all I've done is order a bit more food than I'd usually get for a week, I don't have a car either so its not as if I'm taking food from hungry mouths.

I'm also tempted to stock up on tobacco and alcohol but would probably end up drinking it then eating my stockpile and be sat in my kitchen drunk, surrounded by empty tins of beans. But where did they go?

;)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

notaspy posted:

Christ that interview is illuminating.

How can the writers of a show be so utterly wrong about it?

That they think it is a show with a neutral moral stance is one of the most chef kiss things I have ever read.

I watched the first episode last night, scratched my itch for horrible corporate bullshit I haven't had since the early seasons of Mr. Robot. I like the inhumanity of it really, the first episode was directed by Lena Dunham who also did Girls, so it captures a lot of that 'none of these characters are likeable or relatable' atmosphere I miss from working in an office.

Guavanaut posted:

Heh heh... :butt:

"I'll blow my brexit stockpile up your backside"

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The UK is as likely to change as any other western country, poo poo heads still run countries like France or USA regardless of what people do. Someone posted a clip from the Bed Sitting Room the other day, a film where people wander round a post-apocalyptic landscape acting as if nothing was wrong. This year has shown how people mostly react in a crisis, which is ignore it and even risk your life trying to retain some normalcy - except what they mostly want is to do consumerism without feeling slightly uncomfortable. It seems a lot of people are willing to put up with dog poo poo so long as they can occasionally repeat things that comfort them.

Sanford posted:

Thanks to those who gave advice about my wife’s brain-wrongs; we had a frank conversation where I told her she doesn’t need an excuse for feeling poo poo, and “just leave me alone” is a perfectly valid answer to me asking if she wants anything. Yesterday she listed the ways in which she’s been feeling poo poo, and then today she helped me wrap presents and cooked dinner and now she’s playing with our daughter in the bath, so a massive improvement from just a few days ago. Thanks dudes!

I'm glad :) if memory serves you've not had the best year, so I hope you have a wee break this Christmas

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

After finishing my last shift at work yesterday my employer rang me to say they're cutting my hours down by 2/3 when I go back in January but thanks for all the hard work I've done this year.

Very cool of them as now I can't pay rent and the Christmas break doesn't tend to have many jobs advertised. I've been asking them about hours since November but they insisted I'd be fine and not to worry. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETZVj4089w

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Lungboy posted:

Can't they furlough you?

They're stopping furlough in January (even though its been extended?) - they had furloughed every other member of staff in my department this year except me as I was working on a project teaching people who were recently homeless basic IT skills and how to go on the internet. I'm glad I helped them like, just a bit of a kick in the teeth to find out before Christmas.

:capitalism:, baby!

I hadn't been checking the news recently, but looks like coronavirus is kicking off too! Happy Mad Friday

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ugh. Just when I thought Keir couldn't get any worse he has to start pretending he's Christian. Full Tonty Blair speedrun Any%

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Can't wait for leavers to start eating rotten food because its good actually, wheres your blitz spirit. Opening up truck doors to fruit that has been liquefied and lapping up the juice like hogs.

Take back control!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I had a funny weekend as on Saturday I took some acid with my pal, totally missed all the news, the morning after I hear my partner is coming back from her parents in case that area goes into Tier 4 so now I won't be spending Christmas alone. There were also 300 odd extra posts ITT that was strangely comforting to read yesterday as I put my head back together and wonder how hosed we are.

I know a few others have had a poo poo time this year and Christmas was a break and now thats been yanked away; sorry to hear and hope you're alright. I've had a couple of Christmas' alone - bit different from the usual sort, but you can do what you want and it can be a fun, weird day

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Kin posted:

So, we got our stockpile done.

Got a few kg of chicken and mince coming from musclefoods and then picked up like 10 of everything we usually get, like packs of bacon, salmon, fresh fish, jars of sauces, tins of soup etc.

I was trying to think of anything we've missed, but we've got big bags of stuff like pasta and whatnot already.

It felt weird buying so much stuff, but we got a chest freezer so i suppose it's a bit more like doing a quarterly shop. I'm finding that i'm just learning for the first time how long a shelf life something has, as well as how long something can be frozen for, which i think is from conditioning due to living in tiny rented flats for the better part of the last 20 years.

Any other things that you all think are likely to become short in supply or a bit more expensive with the Brexit clusterfuck?

It depends how much you use them, but I stocked up on a bunch of herbs and spices just in case they are difficult to get hold of or shoot up in price. May as well have something to go with 50kg of beef.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

spiderbot posted:

Just found out that the estate agent selling one of the other flats in our building is doing viewings - are they allowed to do this? Multiple groups of people (including with kids), plus the actual agent, coming through the communal areas into a not very big flat. They are wearing masks, but don't seem to be cleaning or anything between groups. Called the agent out on it and he just told me the government allows it.

get one of the other tenants to say they have covid and not do any more viewing?

Before it was just a fake emergency. No ifs, no buts.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Goldskull posted:

In my experience of ~20 years, design agencies fall into 2 categories: massive pissheads or 'I'm off to the gym at lunchtime, even though I already went at 6am this morning'. No inbetween. I freelance, and did a few months at a pro haircare instrument brand, and I thought they'd all be tee-total posh folk, where in reality we were at the pub every night.

I worked in a design studio for a bit - I definitely noticed the former, but now you mention it, the latter was always about dressed in spandex as the other half of the studio came back from a long lunch. The artworkers seemed to do the most work that stretched into the evening, the designers kept complaining about the variety of work and wanting to do something different, the studio head just walked around all day joking about and hovering by the artworkers shoulder telling them to move text up and down

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yet during term time, the underpass near the local comprehensive is choc full of teenagers puffing away at lunchtimes.
I just don't get it. Do they still think it makes them look 'big' especially given the cost of cigarettes and given that just about every adult I know who smokes seriously wishes they didn't and repeatedly try to give up?

From my observations, a lot of teenagers smoke weed, particularly joints that have a mix of weed and tobacco. A lot vape nowadays but there's still a handful that smoke (though I think its more likely they are smoking weed than cigs)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Happy Boxing Day thread, it was nice catching up on various meal reports and general Christmas nonsense this morning, hope you enjoy the twilight zone between Christmas and New Year with much merriment and liking the food you like and if someone else has different taste thats the way to lick the platter clean.

I remember Christmas Day tv being a lot better than the wretchedness that was on yesterday, but ended up watching Normal People on iplayer which was nice but not very festive.

this was festive and nerdy enough though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXv3Tt4x20

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My sister's finding it really tough to deal with.

Sorry to hear, hope it works out. Hear a few deniers making this holiday poo poo for people involved, hope you get the chance to have a direct conversation. What happened with talking to your niece about Christmas btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I am struggling to understand the urge to keep schools open no matter what the cost - I understand looking after children at home is difficult, moreso if you are a key worker, though there's been provisions in place for that and keeping the schools open to the extent they have been seems a bit dumb. When I'm watching the news I can't help but feel the journalists and MPs talking about keeping the schools open is more that they can't put up with having their children around the house and would rather force everyone into school than anything else. Surely shutting down everything for a month would be better than these half-hearted lockdowns and degrees of tier systems that people don't understand.

Anyway, been a funny old year hey! I've had a decent one really, but if it wasn't for online communities like this I'd have definitely had a much harder time. I know some posters have had an awful year and I think of everyone else that have suffered this year - though I am grateful to each of you for chipping in and giving us something to think about or laugh at and that. However you're spending this evening, have a good one. Ta