Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
My god you absolute madman you actually did it.

KataraniSword posted:

Let's go with a female Dwarf adept, of any given real name you wish, but with a street name of Taz, because things are about to get Looney Tunes in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

BrotherJayne posted:

This plus hand razors is an amazing out the door combo... but no killing hands on cyberweapons I think ☹

Correct. Especially sad since this is the game that finally introduced proper cyberweapons.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Even after Dragonfall, I didn't expect her immediately getting the "Monika Special". I think the ambush as a whole was pretty well done.

First time I played I was kinda expecting someone to get offed, since they had such a hit with that in Dragonfall. Though I wasn't sure if it would be Carter or Duncan.

I still had to take a moment to process what the gently caress had just happened when the game suddenly exploded three people's heads just as the tension was starting to wind down.

Vagabong posted:

Carter is cool, but all of Duncan's rough edges make him pretty compelling.

I mean if you say so

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Groetgaffel posted:

Consider also:
Mage submarine captain casting spells through the periscope.

My tabletop group once had to hunt a serial killer mage that eventually turned out to be a guy with a penthouse apartment and a really nice optical telescope.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Quackles posted:

[takes notes for if I ever play Shadowrun]

Four key points of Shadowrunning:

1: Confusion is a valuable tool.

2: You’re not paranoid if there really are people trying to kill you (and there aren’t then either you haven’t been doing your job right or you should be charging a lot more than you are)

3: Always have at least two more exit plans than you think you’ll need.

4: If the client didn’t want you to kill thirty six people and blow up the building as part of one of those exit plans then they should have specified that in your contract.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 31, 2020

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't become a Runner if there isn't something broken about you.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, nobody becomes a runner because things went right.
No, there's plenty of people who willingly and deliberately get into the life. They think it's cool, the flash and the glam, the guys standing against the corporations and flipping off the whole world just because they can.

Most of those end up dead. The few that don't are the ones that wise the gently caress up and get out quick.

You don't stay a Runner if there isn't something broken about you.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

I dont know posted:

Was this an official adaptation, a fan project, or something in between?

An official novelization. One of the kickstarter tiers was to get your OC in the novel.

edit: there... uh... there were eighty of those apparently. wow. Honestly impressed Odom could pull that off. And if you don't recognize the name he's a professional writer of tie in novels for videogames, TV shows, tabletop systems, stuff like that. Actually pretty good at what he does.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 9, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Gobbet

CheeseThief posted:

One tiny compliment from Cheng has more impact than an entire heartfelt conversation with Paul did, I feel.

Yeah. This isn't someone who likes you automatedly because of things that happened long before the story started. If Auntie is fond of you then it's because you earned that yourself.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

I dont know posted:

For a while it held the record for most densely populated area ever. It probably still does.

It definitely still does in Shadowrun, they never tore it down in that timeline and poo poo only got worse.

Notable for Shadowrunners as a useful place to go if you're really out of options. The dozens of Triad gangs that rule the place are always happy to hire on mercs against each other, and the airport has been converted into in open air bazar where anything can be bought and sold.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 12, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Psion posted:

If you want to see some real aeronautical insanity look for videos of planes landing at Kai Tak. You basically flew directly at a mountaintop and then hauled over in a hard right turn;

Assuming you came in perfectly it was a 47° turn done at below six hundred feet. Which you had to do by eye because standard aircraft instrumentation will absolutely not handle a turn like that.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GhostStalker posted:

I’d ask her for stories of the place, but she was warned to avoid the area, and for very good reason.

Legally KWC was Chinese territory and Hong Kong law enforcement had no jurisdiction there. And of course Chinese law enforcement was not allowed in Hong Kong. When people say that it was lawless they are being entirely literal.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Ah. The nice part of town.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

habeasdorkus posted:

Star Wars apparently has Coruscant at 1 trillion, which is much closer but even at just Manhattan density Earth would have 13 trillion (covering oceans) or 4 trillion (just land area).

They do explicitly admit that one trillion is only the official residents of fixed address, and that the real number is at least twice that before you get into the indigent populations living in the undercity.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Grayshift posted:

Or am I severely overthinking this and the NPCs don't have in-mission reactions?

Exactly the opposite problem actually.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cythereal posted:

The PC and Duncan on the other hand...

Are also in the wrong place at the wrong time with no clue what the gently caress is going on. Raymond managed to gently caress everyone over somehow, including himself apparently.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

Insect spirits don't want to live there either.
(this sounds like a joke but I would consider it the actual answer)

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the local energy was so toxic that it actually kills the things before they can finish gestating.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

StillFullyTerrible posted:

mantis spirits don't actually consume human spirits, only other insect spirits
they absolutely do hijack you in order to hunt other insect spirits tho
They also exclusively pick the kind of people that Hannibal Lecter would look up to as their hosts.

Poil posted:

What about spider spirits?
Spiders aren't insects and would be extremely offended at the comparison. For very good reason. Usually they're somewhere in the Trickster Spirit archetype.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

argosaxelcaos posted:

How common are cultists in Hong Kong? Maybe there's a cult behind all this?

Ignoring Aztechnology you mean? There's gonna a be at least a few in any major city. Any half decent Shaman can rig one up with minimal work. That's not just a normal cult though.

Boosting poo poo up until unawakened people in the general area start having Portent of Doom dreams? That's serious magic. Count the number of mortals who could pull it off on the entire planet on one hand kinda magic. "Time to skip town because this place isn't just going to hell, it might actually be going to hell" kinda magic.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cythereal posted:

Would all the feng shui stuff have something to do with it? Like, someone was specifically trying to set up an environment of such concentrated metahuman misery that Weird poo poo like this starts happening?

Technically possible, but honestly that’s the kind of idea where even the Azzies would probably shoot anyone who suggested it as too crazy to keep around.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Most likely fighting vampires since if there's one thing the Azzies love it's vampires.

Could probably make a good anime out of that.

Wasn't that a season of JJBA already?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kanfy posted:

She's a Rat shaman, Shin. Of course she talks to rats. Remember that guy in the Barrens, JoeyD? Small time BTL guy - lived at the Royale Apartments? He had a Skunk shaman working guard duty for him. Covered him when he slept. Guess he figured that no matter what, the stink would wake him up.

Skunk shaman, huh?

Hellhound-based security works great right up until you realize your well-being will always be of lesser value to them than a juicy chunk of zebra meat.
His name was Stevie J actually. Guess Gunshow's memory is slipping.

habeasdorkus posted:

IIRC Rat shamans are more resistant to disease than your average chummer. But I can't remember where I read that, so it might not be true!

I mean "resistant" might not be the right word, no. Gobbet eats things that would give a medical waste incinerator food poisoning.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dareon posted:

So I'm guessing dragon in disguise. Which one's hanging around HK in this timeframe?

Hong Kong is undisputedly Lung's turf. But he's also the head of the Yellow Lotus's biggest competitor. He's not hiding out on their doorstep pretending to be a nobody. Dragons have more pride than that.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Or accidentally.

Or by releasing a memetic weapon to distract some people.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

habeasdorkus posted:

Harlequin is actually one of the less lovely Immortal Elves, iirc, which gives you an idea of exactly how bad they tend to run.

Yeah. It's like people making GBS threads on Lofwyr because the Great Dragons will gently caress people over.

I mean, you're not wrong, but.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Ibblebibble posted:

Sounds dope, as a Malaysian I'm used to us being forgotten about in sci-fi/fantasy stuff set in Asia which is almost always Japan-centered.

Shadowrun Japan? Suuuuper racist. That's about it really.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PMush Perfect posted:

How are you even supposed to say that out loud?

"Turned into a Ghoul." Or vampire, or wendigo, or goblin, or banshee, or jabberwock, or that weird Malay one that's just a floating head with a bunch of organs hanging off it.

TheDavies posted:

You don't. It's a scientific term -- you just call whoever has it a vampire.

Clinical term. The scientific term is Ghilani Vrykolakivididae.

e:
Penanggalan, that it! "Turned into a penanggalan."

Stroth fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the whampoa is like... economic downturn, not living hell

More like living on a commune.

Is0Bel.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

AceOfFlames posted:

In case anyone was wondering, yes, Felicia Day was a backer and Eos is her character.

Still better than the one in Dragon Age.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

They seem to be very particular and specific about the flaying though, not just hacking away with a knife for a bit and calling it good.

No, quite the opposite really

Kanfy posted:

The knife marks are methodical. The killer doesn't seem to have been interested in preserving the skin as any kind of whole. It was removed a bit like one fillets a fish - the path of least resistance. Some of the strips of skin have a more ragged edge than others. The ragged edge looks consistent with a claw, rather than a blade.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Servetus posted:

The Whampoans are like if Blitz was a small society instead of one guy.

I've finished the main campaign three times, and the bonus missions twice, and I didn't realize the above until I read that.

No, Blitz has (an extremely short list of) people who he will actually listen to when they tell him he's being an idiot.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay, for anyone that isn't familiar with Shadowrun and is now horribly confused: BTLs are an illegal type of simsense chip.

A simsense chip is a full mental recording of someone's experience doing something. Plug one into your datajack and you can live through being an action movie star, or participating in an orgy, or just having a nice day on the beach with your loving spouse, whatever you like. With you fully experiencing all of the sensations and emotions involved as if this was actually happening to you. They're common, fairly cheap, consumer entertainment. They're also very safe. They're edited to ensure that the emotions and sensations they contain aren't dangerous. You're not going to come out of being James Bond for an afternoon with a budding case of PTSD.

BTL, "Better Than Life", chips are the illegal version. They're also very literally named. The sensations and emotions on a BTL chip have been boosted above anything that's actually possible for a healthy human being to feel. This also makes them extremely addictive. A well made BTL can make you feel better than anything else in the world, that's the entire point of them. And not just "anything else you have personally experienced". "It is actually physically impossible to feel this good without using a BTL".

CalHots, and whatever the Elder was making in his backroom from what Is0bel was saying, are BTLs that have been turned up so far that they're not just addictive, they're actively dangerous. Emotions so powerful that a metahuman brain will actually damage itself trying to process them, like an overclocked computer. And with much the same results in the long run.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 27, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

citybeatnik posted:

I wonder how much the shaman Elder's just full of poo poo considering Essence drain and all thst.

She's wearing a trode*. She's not cybered at all from what we see.

* "Dry active electrode array". Like a datajack, but it works by externally reading your neural activity instead of being directly plugged into your brain. Not quite as fast, and if it gets moved around at all you're gonna get signal noise so you've got to either build one into a securely strapped on hat/wig/headband or just glue it to your skin, but it also doesn't require brain surgery and only costs like seventy bucks for a decent one.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

Many deckers, incidentally, use hotsim to give them an edge. It works! You see more clearly, react faster. The downside is that decking becomes highly addivtive.

Well, "highly". Most professional deckers are addicted to their jobs, but they generally keep it at about the same level as a caffeine addiction. A BTL is closer to heroin.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 27, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i find it amusing that putting synthetic reinforcements on your bones and artificial ligaments and joints for all your limbs causes the same essence drain/cyberpsychosis risk as "literally put yourself into constant seizures"

Effectively replacing your entire skeletal system is an extremely invasive procedure.

Also Move by Wire has two major drawbacks other than essence cost: Firstly that it's got an expiration date and eventually has to be removed or it will permanently cripple you as the seizure blocking subsystems slowly lose effectiveness due to your brain adapting around them. And secondly if someone manages to hack your cyberware you are hosed when they just turn the anti-seizure systems off entirely and your body immediately rips itself apart.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

paragon1 posted:

Novacoke is like regular cocaine.

But nova.

Novacoke is just cocaine after the marketing department got to it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What is a worse idea: running Shadowrun with Eclipse Phase 1.0 rules or vice versa?

Pretty sure if you do that on an equinox it summons Shub-Niggurath.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

If there's one thing you can expect to have improved in Shadowrun over our world, it's the drugs. So while I'm not a cocaine connoisseur, I assume novacoke is at least as potent as the real stuff in every way, and probably has a few tricks of its own.

Novacoke is the real stuff. Aztechnology is descended from the Mexican cartels, they weren't letting coca go extinct.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Lone Badger posted:

Not as nasty as, say, a bear shifter adeot.

Note that this would be a bear that has learned to turn into a metahuman, not the other way around.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kobal2 posted:

:hmmyes:
Or an Arctanthrope, if you're the pedantic sort.

Homoarc. Bear that turns into a person, not a person that turns into a bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kobal2 posted:

Fair point, but it would be Anthropoarctos then I believe ? I never actually took Greek, but I do know "homo" means "similar", not "man".

That would be because it's latin, not greek. Where it does in fact mean man. Hence: Homo Sapiens. Man that is Wise.