Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

Now that the rough and tumble of the primaries is over...

Adding my vote for female Troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
We're usually careful, but when a friend needed our help we perhaps didn't check the details as thoroughly as we should have.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
This part always irritated me a bit, because I liked Carter. She would've been interesting to get to know, and occasionally make Duncan twitch by sharing embarrassing stories of (from me) our childhood and (from her) his adventures on the force...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there's magecuffs and magemasks that will actually do the job in the tt crunch. if you don't send them to mage jail somehow and dont geek them they might geek you by ritual later yah

"Magemasks" sound nice and innocuous, but nobody who hasn't been forced to wear one mentions that they "work" by subjecting the wearer to a combination of sensory deprivation and white noise that makes it completely impossible to concentrate on anything, up to and including the passage of time, so from the victim's perspective they're trapped in an eternal moment of darkness and random noise.

It's straight up cruel-and-unusual torture, but the really lovely part is that there doesn't appear to be a more "humane" way to prevent a mage from casting spells -- unless you deliberately took on various Geasa, as long as you can think, you can cast.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

A blindfolded mage can only cast spells on themselves, which helps at least.

Here's a fun fact: Astral perception does not necessarily require being able to see. You can astrally perceive with your eyes closed. You can astrally perceive if you're physically blind. You can, in fact, astrally perceive while blindfolded.

Casting spells via the astral isn't quite as easy as doing it the conventional way, but it's still possible.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I've always found that particular loophole for casting spells from a distance to be pretty funny.

Somewhere some megacorp has a system of orbiting mirrors and complex optics and a team of mages that can cast spells anywhere in the world at any time. Probably Ares, they're one of the big space players and blowing things up is their thing.

The reason that's not a major concern is because casting through binoculars is really drat hard. It's been ages since I checked the rules and I'm mostly a 3E guy anyway, but it's like trying to thread a needle using a 50-yard-long set of pliers.

If you have no better options, sure, it's possible, but in terms of efficiency, forget it.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Basically, just imagine someone starting poo poo on our new friend Kindly Cheng's turf and how that would go.

Either a spectacularly public... disposal... Or an equally private disappearance, the kind where absolutely no one saw them leave, just one morning their bunk was empty...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

She wasn't kidding in one of the previous updates when she said that Gobbet and Is0bel had just dropped a huge pile of flaming dogshit on her doorstep (or however she phrased it).

And likely, once she's finished sorting out what's going on and how to deal with it, those two are going to be in a world of pain for it. Unless they make themselves very useful.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

wiegieman posted:

It depends on the spirit. Some of the predator bug spirits get along quite well with humans because they have the same enemies, and don't even override their host.

That's just it

They do override their host, subsume their spirit and memories, and the person who's talking to you is actually an insect spirit wearing your friend's shape and memories like a meat suit in order to make the idea of getting your spirit eaten by an Insect Spirit sound more palatable.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

By popular demand posted:

As you may remember from from Eiger's mission and Glory's on the last game destructive cults are a definite thing in the sixth world.
That said, unlike Lovecraft you don't find them under hiding every rock and behind every evil scheme. Kind of a rare thing, a lone toxic shaman is a much more common problem.

As discussed during the Dragonfall thread, at least one of those destructive cults actually drat near succeeded in setting off their Ragnarok.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Aztech is arguably the biggest destructive cult to ever rise on the planet.

... And they're still active and operating.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

As a general rule, anything that has to do with magic is far far more affected by living creatures and emotions than anything else. It's part of why interfacing magic and technology is still something that's extremely uncommon and difficult to do at the most basic level even with megacorp budgets. Inanimate things are just dull, flat and gray in the astral. A toxic mage or shaman or a blood mage or any of those less-than-pleasant people would not kill quickly and cleanly, then "work on their art", so to speak. They want the full range of emotion that powers their magic.

True, but on the other hand maybe their target is the emotions of everyone else in the area.

Attacking the leadership in their homes, one by one, taking them out gruesomely, very effectively communicates "Your leaders are not safe from me. Your leaders cannot protect you from me. I rule this area now" and if they manage to spread sufficient terror with those killings they could shift the background of the entire area in their favour -- meaning that any spells /they/ cast will be boosted, and any spells anyone else cast will be penalized.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Stroth posted:

Okay, for anyone that isn't familiar with Shadowrun and is now horribly confused: BTLs are an illegal type of simsense chip.

BTL, "Better Than Life", chips are the illegal version. They're also very literally named. The sensations and emotions on a BTL chip have been boosted above anything that's actually possible for a healthy human being to feel. This also makes them extremely addictive. A well made BTL can make you feel better than anything else in the world, that's the entire point of them. And not just "anything else you have personally experienced". "It is actually physically impossible to feel this good without using a BTL".

Which is part of why they're both highly addictive and spectacularly illegal -- once you've had BTLs nothing you ever experience in real life will ever feel as good as slotting another BTL chip will.

Even the corps who aren't big on ethics think this is a really bad idea.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Workers, yes, but I can easily see managers and executives slotting illegal stat-boosting chips for that extra performance edge.

Boosters are okay. Boosters are fine as long as you don't expect the Corp to shell out for health care when the side effects hit.

BTLs aren't boosters. You don't gain any skills from them - you just remember having been James Bond or Jet Li or Jean-Luc Picard.

You don't gain or retain their skills or talents.You can slot a hundred BTLs of Rocky Balboa and in the end your right hook will be as puny as it was going in. Possibly even worse because you managed to mess up your brain into thinking it can do better than it actually can and you wind up having some misfires.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

While you can get skillsofts (brain tutorials, the stuff that makes Neo know Kung Fu) with normal limiters removed, those aren't the same thing with regards to how they gently caress you up.

They gently caress you up in entirely different ways, starting at 'increased tendency toward epileptic seizures' and getting worse from there...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Novacoke and PCP will do the trick for a few minutes.

... Just don't ask about afterwards.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Tehan posted:

A one-shot autoinjector with a dose of K-10 is an economic and effective way to guarantee that if everything goes wrong, at least you won't have a boring death.

You take it, you won't go quiet and you won't go alone, but you're gonna go.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

A troll adept on K-10 must be a hell of a sight.

From a very safe distance, preferably.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Renraku is a megacorporation which, like all megacorporations, employs a number of people to solve various problems. The Red Samurai are the group of people they train and call onto to solve problems of the "that person and everyone they ever knew need to be diced into very small cubes, sharpish. No matter where they hide and how much army stands between you and them." variety.

They emphatically don't gently caress around.

You hire Shadowrunners for deniable ops where you can pretend you had nothing to do with it.

Renraku sends in the Red Samurai when they want to make it absolutely clear that yes, they're the ones who did this because they are very upset with the target and want to make it very clear that whatever the target did was not acceptable and had better not be repeated.

By anyone.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Broken Box posted:

Right, which makes me wonder what the hell they *thought* they were up against, because I doubt anyone would willingly go out against Red Samurai if they had a clue. Even if the individual members of the SWAT didn't know, someone must have realized they were wasting an asset.

Heck, most Shadowrunner teams are going to think twice (and require hazard pay) before deliberately going up against the RS.

(Note: There is a difference between 'do a run against Renraku corporate interests' and 'do something that's guaranteed to get the Reds sent after you' -- Renraku doesn't send out the Samurai for trivial offenses like robbing a manufacturing plant or damaging some property. But wise Shadowrunners will bear in mind that they don't know what the exact line is and will try to err on the side of caution by avoiding as much collateral damage as possible when hitting something Renraku owns)

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

raverrn posted:

This is the subject of the critically acclaimed Rutger Hauer movie "Blind Fury".

Which was quite a decent and underrated movie, and I'd like to point out that Mr. Hauer's combat tactics against people with firearms heavily feature the advanced kata known as Don't -- where at all possible he breaks contact and avoids them altogether; when that's not an option he relies on situational awareness to keep out of LOS until he can get close.

As someone in the movie points out, that fancy butter knife won't stop a bullet. And he's right, it doesn't.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

EVE is a game where, the moment I heard of just the concept, I realised that it was awful.

EVE is everything that a much younger and more naive Me playing the original Elite on an Atari ST ever wanted in a game... And when it finally existed I found out what it really was like and no thanks.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

TheDavies posted:

Still, it's a bit annoying that we still haven't been able to kill Clockwork, sell his organs to Tamamous, and parade his skull around like a trophy despite him showing up in scenarios twice. I can dream, though. :allears:

NetCat has dibs, I think.

... Also, while I loathe him for the rear end in a top hat he is, I am somewhat reluctantly impressed that he's managed to survive so far.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
NetCat's a technomancer.

Which means that if she likes toasters, the toasters like her back.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

I dont know posted:

Seems like an excellent opportunity for an enterprising team of runners. Whatever the run was before, it's now a ransom situation.

An excellent opportunity for a team of runners to get chased down by top line corpsec who knows exactly where to find them at the behest of a very furious corp exec, and every fixer no longer taking their calls because a team that shivs you in the back after they've accepted your mission is a team that can't be relied on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Blitz is a perfect example of the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

Intelligence is being able to deck into Renraku's primary mainframe and getting away clean.

Wisdom is not bragging about it to the girl you're hitting on in a bar while Renraku is still looking for who did it.