Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Senerio posted:

At this point UN Lady not being Mystique would be the twist, right?

Funny enough the two of them had a good working relationship in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Rogue straight saying to Gambit your power is to light up anything you touch and my power means I can never feel it is such perfect and obvious squaring of their relationship that I feel stupid for not realizing it 20+ years ago. Embarrassing, like how I didn’t realize that Namor is just Roman backwards until my late 20s.

Well I didn’t know that about Namor until just now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Shaw and Emma are alive too, as I think Shaw and Madelyne were just knocked out, not killed, and I don't think we see Emma again after the attack.

MikeC posted:

So like.....5 episodes in.....why the gently caress did they fire the dude running this show again? I thought there was no way they could meet expectations. I was right, the Xmen 97 team blew way past them into the next galaxy.

Apparently for conduct issues.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nightcrawler can replace Gambit I guess.

Put Emma and Shaw in charge next I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alan Smithee posted:

wait so was it ever established what Gambit's limitations were charge wise cuz uh
if he could do the whole planet that would make him rather powerful

It has a longer charge time for larger objects, and is generally only capable of affecting one object. Like he could blow up a cliff probably.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t imagine Magneto will suddenly back slide. I don’t think people really want him as a villain anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Did Magneto get turned into a baby in the original TAS? If he did and was aged back to adulthood, then he may have lost 30 years like his comic self.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

I still don’t how I feel about Genosha being portrayed as Store Brand Wakanda, though.

It was not really all that much like Wakanda.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Part of the Watcher’s thing is that he is supposed to watch but not interfere. But he does care about Earth, so he frequently loopholes by making himself known to be watching that way people know something serious is about to happen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rarity posted:

Mutants being behind the Genosha attack would undercut the message tbh

Well the Genosha attack in the comic was done by a Mutant. Though the attack never would have been possible had humans not built the Sentinels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I forget did the Animated Series explain how she got her super strength and flight. I know in the comics it's because she permently stole Carol Danver's (aka Ms Marvel at the time) powers. But I forget if the show explained that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty good episode. Lots of big stuff happening.

Xavier is returning, Sinister was behind Genosha, Storm repowered. Not in this actual episode at all but the ever-changing credits reveals a new X-Men: Kurt. Excited for that, too.

Interesting note: Xavier only senses Gambit's death, not the death of his lifelong dearest friend. I wanna go out on a limb and say this hints at Magneto being alive.

He did sense the deaths of many mutants, Gambit was the primary one. Though I agree Magneto probably lived.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Stryfe is also lame.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Ep 6 Ending Spoilers + Comics question

Out of curiosity, is Trask in the comics a one-dimensional nutcase? I just thought that ending of Episode 6 seemed to imply some level of remorse on his part, like maybe he didn't intend for his Sentinels to be used in quite such a bloody and murderous fashion.

Trask in the comics was an anthropologist who greatly feared the mutants becoming the tyrant rulers of earth once their numbers increased and more started abusing their power. Trask created the Sentinals to defend humanity but screwed up the programing resulting in them becoming hostile.

After this he quickly realizes that Master Mold and the Sentinals are a far greater threat than the mutants were and that he was wrong to act on his fears in that manner, he sacrifices his life to destroy Master Mold while the X-men fight the Sentinels. Other successors have been the primary ones continuing his work with Sentinels. Most notably his son first who blamed Mutants for his father's death as Trask died before publicly renouncing anything and the circumstances of his death were not known.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 18, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think this show's Sinister has a fair amount of his modern self's flamboyance and drama.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was fatally wounded by Gyrich and taken to space for healing by Liandra. Acess to Shi’ar medical tech would likely be needed to keep him alive, so he was expected to be gone long term.

As a result the X-Men just told people he died.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think Magneto is going to be a villain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Even in the comics Xavier is mostly a good person. I don't imagine they will stray too much from his core in the show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Logan’s regen has for sure been toned down in recent years as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I noticed that Rogue got a flash of both Bastion and Nimrod when she touched Gyrich.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thrawn527 posted:

I kind of doubt it. I think it was just a cameo. Bringing Cap in as a major player would take some focus off the Mutants at a pretty crucial time.

On a semi-related note, I just read up on Bastion, since he's not a character I'm familiar with at all. And I came across this summation from the comics about his origin:

"In Marvel Comics, the Master Mold absorbed the systems of an immensely powerful Sentinel prototype from another universe: Nimrod. The resulting beast was far too powerful for the X-Men to defeat, causing them to force the entity through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal that grants those who step through it a new life. Bastion emerged from this portal as Sebastion Gilberti, an ostensibly human version of the two sentinels, completely devoid of memory of the life that came before."

What the gently caress did I just read? I feel like I know less now than I did when I started.

I guess he's part Super Sentinel? But that whole "Sentinel from another dimension, then forced through another portal to yet another dimension that spit out a sort of human" thing totally lost me.

Honestly the funny thing is that Nimrod on his own was more powerful than the Master Mold/Nimrod fusion, and Bastion. Integrating Nimrod into lesser tech tended to hold it back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Burginator posted:

It's really not out of character for him -- He's never anti-mutant or anything, but he certainly doesn't like doing any actual legwork for them or putting his neck out for them like 95% of the time. I legitimately can't even remember if he's ever even fought a sentinel, let alone actually been a meaningful part of defending mutants in any way but lip service. The whole "Can't help you until I get cleared" is pretty in character in that mutants don't rank as high as most of the stuff that he'd willingly ignore orders for.

He's been helping them a fair amount in the current comics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, I’m gonna need to see Brie Larson suplex a Celestial in the next Captain Marvel movie. Rogue has really upped the woman wrecking ball game.

The fun thing is that Rogue literally has Carol Danver's powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think Bastion here will have the same origin as his comic counterpart as it hasn’t been set up. Though Nimrod inside Master Mold in the opening is probably a reference.

I could also see Bastion creating Nimrod as the big weapon he is suggesting he is working towards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shoehead posted:

Wait is that why they fired him???

No it was apparently for being difficult to work with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Kind of? Morph in the comics was pretty much a non-character in the 60's OG X-Men run named "Changeling." He wore a weird purple Galactus hat, had a couple of villainous outings against the X-Men, then had a face-turn where he impersonated Professor X and died while Prof was out in space or some other bs.

When the 92 show started, he was put in the team as a red shirt to die in the first ep and establish there were stakes (which were of course undone not long after).

Back in the comics, "Changeling" was long forgotten (and his name's copyright was taken up by DC Comics for a brief rename of Beast Boy in the 80s), but was brought back as "Morph" in the Age of Apocalypse crossover. This is where the "Chameleon" look comes from, and a few years later they brought the character back, albeit from another dimension and with a personality more in-line with the 92 show, for the Exiles run of comics. This Morph is a beloved C-lister who has bopped around in various Exiles-related runs, though they have yet to return to any sort of main-line run of X-Men books.

Here's a primer on Exiles Morph.

There's also a "new/young Morph" that was introduced in the last decade or so, but this version is a big ol' nothing who mostly looks like his 92 counterpart.

97 Morph is like a mishmash of the Exiles Morph in their appearance and powerset (waiting for Morph to get blasted into goo and reform; Exiles Morph was pretty much made of invincible playdoh), but with added PTSD from his heel run in Sinister's crew.

edit: Just watched this week's ep, Morph got blasted into goo and will probably be OK, so I guess I don't have to wait anymore!

I think that Site is wrong for considering Changling and Morph to be the same character as they are nothing alike. Morph was started as being created for the show, and was introduced to the comics after.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Mimic mimics the powers of those he comes into contact with, like Rogue but with no ill effects (like Synch.) He has the powers of the Original Five on a permanent basis since they hung out a long enough in the 60's before taking a bullet or whatever for Xavier and spending a year dead for tax purposes. So he has Punch Dimension Eyes and wings and ice and psychic powers and Beast's original power set.

Morph is a different guy, last I checked. They are a shapeshifter, like Mystique. Enough people thought he was cooler than Mimic enough (because they are) so they made the Age of Apocalypse and later Exiles version into that one.

They may be variants of themselves, but their powers are not really the same at all, even with Sinister's meddling.

Mimic is diffrenent the guy Changling who was also in the 60s.

Mimic also didn't even need to touch people, just being in fairly close proximity would allow them to copy their abilities. He's also not a mutant, he got his powers from a science experiment and was initially a villain. He eventually joined the team, but it was mainly to satisfy his ego. He became a better person after losing his powers, but was probably written off the team cause he was as strong as the rest of the team combined.

Mappo posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but Morph's old VA plays the president in Episode 7.

I would really like another "Wolverine goes off somewhere to cool off and things go down." episode. I guess I'll have to wait till next season.

Who I think is Kelly. The normally anti mutant human who slowly turns into an ally.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KurdtLives posted:

Did Danvers not have pewpew beams back when she got Rogue'd in the comics or did the pewpew just not perma-take on Rogue?

She did not. She got the binary thing while hanging out with the X-Men after Rogue stole her powers, and left the team after they agreed to take Rogue in, cause she felt she was losing herself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soonmot posted:

Wait, previous to her space stuff and Binary, Carol only had super strength/durability/ flight and not the energy absorption/beams?

Yeah.

She gained her new powerset after the Brood modified her still remaining hybrid DNA which resulted in her gaining the power of a Star.

She came with the X-Men initially but refused to accept Rogue seven issues after this, and went off to have space adventures.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 29, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

zoux posted:

My favortite one of those is Peter no-selling a one-two combo to the face from the Punisher

Spidey's got quite a few of those "holy poo poo this guy is amazing and way holding back" moments now that I think about it. "Amazing....Spectacular"

Reminds me of his first fight with Tombstone before Tombstone got powers. After Tombstone beats him down in an initial ambush.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

Less, but yeah, Disney getting them was how Spectacular Spider-Man got cancelled.

Uggh it was so poorly timed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Turpitude posted:

Really great cameos in this episode from other Marvel characters but there was one villain I didn't recognize:

After Dr Doom says his thing to Bastion, another guy appears on a different screen who looks to be wearing a black mask and outfit with shoulder spikes or something?

That's Baron Zemo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would like Quire, and Necrosha in future seasons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Bastion/Prime Sentinel talk
Nobody here really believes Bastion that all the Prime Sentinels were members, even unwitting ones, of his little hate group, right? His old-rear end mom was on some AOL chat room bitching about muties? Trish, who was there to apologize to Hank for her insensitivity, went to a meeting of bigots to join up? Sure, some of them were probably did join up with an anti-mutant group and were forced into this scientific horror, but it seems just as likely many were just plain abducted and used for convenience.

In the comics most of the people were unwilling or didn't know what they were getting into. They are also nearly totally under Bastion's control and have little free will.

Trask in the comics after getting his free will back for about half a minute notably quickly rescinds as many orders as he can, then kills himself cause he knows his free will is only temporary. Thanking the one who briefly freed him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 2, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In the comic version of the events the girl with Bastion ends up telling some X-Men that the majority of Prime Sentinels were kidnapped.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Stark can generally move out of his armour fine. Though if his armour shut down while he was in it, he probably wouldn’t be able to move.

Still I agree he would probably have EMP protection.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ghost Rider was planned for a series but it fell through.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Doom's weird. He has both standards and does not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Reminds me of this page from the new crossover blood hunt

Apparently trespassing on Latveria makes you a citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Doom is a fascist dictator, he's also charismatic and a fairly good leader. He's also a megalomanic who wants to dominate the entire world (Kinda while he wants world domination, he's almost always portrayed as enjoying the process of taking over the world more than ruling it, and gets bored with it quickly).