Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wanda openly using magic to make it look like Vision wasn't doing, well... magical things... was great. The little moments where the facade slips and you can see the terror in the faces of other people, like Debra Jo Rupp begging Wanda to stop it etc, were incredibly effectively done.

I know the reveals are coming and I'm interested in what they are (and if that's really loving Swarm of all people coming out of the sewer :vince:) but I kinda wish they could just keep aping various sitcoms for awhile longer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The "edit" when Vision starts realizing something is wrong and Wanda resets reality to keep him from bursting her bubble was fantastic, one of the few times you can get away with such an obvious cut like that and completely get away with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

When Wanda starts the credits while Vision is yelling at her that its not over reminds me so much of Too Many Cooks

I loved that Wanda's line to Vision, which was pretty sinister/creepy, got a big audience applause/cheer to mark the start of the credits, since she was trying desperately to wrap up the argument and maintain the illusion of a happy life where everything is just fine. Having the credits rolling over that while Vision just keeps going after her trying to get her to actually talk to him honestly till he bursts through door out of "make-up" and the credits just snap off was fantastic.

Also, of all the unsettling ways things have been "reset" in prior episodes, I was most creeped out by how this one went with Agnes literally turning awkwardly to Wanda and openly asking her if she wanted to do another take.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 5, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm a simple man, after they gave the name of Wanda and Pietro's parents this episode, I want next episode to have Pietro get confused and say their dad's name is Eric.

Yes, all I ask for is a simple line and for Michael Fassbender to show up, that's not too much to ask!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wasn't the biggest fan of Legion Season 2 and 3, but whenever Jemaine Clement was on it was fantastic. The rap battle in season 3 with the Big Bad Wolf is just amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

I've seen people say that it might be Adam Brashear, and that would be pretty sweet.

Other than that, the guesses are either Reed or Sue.

I only want Reed if he shows up and, with absolute no malice or arrogance, happily explains EXACTLY what is happening and how to fix it as if it is the simplest thing in the world, then promptly leaves and nobody - including every other genius they have gathered there - has a loving clue what the gently caress he was talking about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, it looks like a (high budget) television version of the Captain America films and I've got no problem with that, those films were great fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

The addictive high of 'the crossover that shouldn't happen' can never be satiated

The perfect crossover does exist, it's just that we already had it on the 29th of February, 1980 :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-SaBuN6I0E

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite episode of Iron Fist was the one where the guy who spent 3/4s of his life living in a monastery needed to be taught how to calm himself through meditation by a middle-aged nurse from New York.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid didn't turn out to be massive assholes did they? :ohdear:

I met Mark Waid once and he was the friendliest dude I ever met and all he wanted to do was talk about comics :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving hell that ending, I thought she was stretched to the utter limit with Westview as it was, then she essentially doubles the size of the hex and all it took for her to do it was momentarily stopping running everybody. I imagine this is going to have pretty major ramifications as she now has a ton more people and space to manage plus she smacked the poo poo out of her own brother AND her kids have powers now too AND Vision has gotten a glimpse of the outside world and his own fate now.

Vision's response to Agnes was a pretty :ohdear: moment too - "What's an Avenger?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When Pietro mentioned their parents it raised my hopes foolishly yet again that eventually he's going to say their dad's name is Erik instead of the name given for their father in Episode 5. C'mon Michael Fassbender! :pray:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor The World Inferno, posted too far out of Wanda's sphere of influence :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

--The X-Gene has always existed.

This reminds me, it's a gigantic stretch on my part but I got a good giggle when Pietro told Wanda she could rely on him to be the male chaperone for the kids because "I've got the XY gene!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everybody has been posting "No. More mutants!" and being worried about the number of mutants etc, but what if Wanda actually reduces the hex down to a single, solitary person and says,"Namor. Mutant."? :thunk:

Sue Storm can be Rambeau's friend and be immediately enthralled by what she sees, causing her nerd boyfriend to try and fly a ship into a cosmic storm to impress her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everyone posted:

David Tennant as (the voice of) Scrooge McDuck.
No it'll be the Eleventh Doctor.... played by Eddie Redmayne.... :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That ending was absolutely incredible and oh my God "And I killed Sparky too! :haw:" followed by that cackle :vince:

The kid (Tommy?) saying,"You're quiet on the inside" was also deeply unsettling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Its Chocolate posted:

oh it's definitely gonna be Ian McKellen isn't it

Yep, definitely Ian McKellan...................'s younger self, Michael Fassbender!

Zero One posted:

Patrick Stewart as Avery Bullock.

Patrick Stewart as Avery Brooks, and WandaVision is a DS9 homage now. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I really loved* is that when Vision realizes that doing a piece to camera makes zero sense and decides to leave, he starts to rise from the seat outside the truck, but then you see him actually leaving through the roof from the passenger seat inside the truck, as if the pieces to camera were entirely in their own heads almost like flashbacks or something.

* That and Elizabeth Olsen perfectly channeling Julie Bowen!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Otherwise, you may need some man who really knows his way around molecules.

Complete with the multiverse being saved because a Spider-Man happened to have an old hamburger stashed in his costume. :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those loving wipes, the getty images watermark and the boom mic dropping into frame... :allears:

God, I gotta rewatch Far From Home again, it was such silly fun even if it does have a lengthy scene where the villain literally just stands and bellows exposition for like 10 minutes straight to a crowd of people who in-universe all have exactly as much information as he does.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I always forget how terrible that Avengers 1 costume was for Cap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Azhais posted:

I love Bucky's face when Spidey just catches his punch and is all "Wow cool you've got a metal arm!"

There's something just wonderful about two of the most skilled and dangerous soldiers in the world getting clowned on by like a 12-year-old kid who is just having a great time making new friends :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Agreed with both the take that this Zemo bears little relationship to the one we saw in Civil War, outside of killing the guy who was gonna help make more Super Soldiers and also somehow simultaneously that I love this new Zemo, who feels a little closer to the deranged "I'm taking everybody down with me if I can't be in charge anymore!" persona from the original run of Thunderbolts.

I absolutely hated that they had the lead Flagsmasher blow up and kill the GRC dudes she had tied up because otherwise she and the others were unequivocally the good guys. That didn't make any goddamn sense at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Re: Sam and Bucky suddenly leaving the meeting, I thought that was pretty clearly because Karli reveals she just wanted to get Sam separated from Walker so the rest of the Flag Smashers could kill Walker, since as the new Captain America he's the symbol they want to destroy. She says herself to Sam that killing him would mean nothing, she wants to kill Captain America, which is when Sharon pipes in to tell Sam that Walker is on the move because he found the Flag Smashers "or they found him", implying that they leaked their location so he'd run in like a loving idiot and they could kill him. That's why Sam and Bucky take off and Sam says he'll send Bucky the location, they're trying to get to the ambush to save Walker, not knowing he's taken the Super Soldier Serum and things are going to go badly for the Flag Smashers.

LionArcher posted:

I also appreciate that he legit thinks he’s right and ain’t tempted.

Loved that, also his question to Sam afterwards asking if he would be tempted to take it, and he's so impressed that Sam instantly says no. I think Zemo DID consider even if only briefly taking the serum for himself before staying true to his (hosed up) ideals and smashing the vials.

Also yeah just Nthing that the final visual of the episode was :discourse:

Edit: Also also: "they weren't even super soldiers...." was a fantastic line.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 9, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zemo immediately straightening his neck after Sam commented on,"That weird head tilt thing he does" was hilarious, as was the fact that as soon as Sam and Bucky step out he immediately tilts his head again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AJA posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a nod to the Captain America arc where his parents are killed by a terrorist group and he loses his poo poo and kills them

Doesn't he explicitly miss his own parents' funeral to go and complete whatever bullshit largely PR/Optics mission the US Government have given him to do as well?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While I am enjoying a lot of individual parts of this show, I do have to say the show does feel like a bunch of stuff crammed together a lot of times, like they filmed from a bunch of different versions of the script and some poor editor had to try and jam it all together. It's kind of unbelievable that they were 2/3rds of the way through the season before we actually found out exactly what went on with the various "refugees" caused by the Blip. It kept getting brought up as the reason for the creation of the Flagsmashers and unless I missed something this episode was the first time anybody explicitly said,"So yeah after half the world's population disappeared, all the previous immigration restrictions just disappeared because countries DESPERATELY needed workers and people to fill the sudden gaps across every aspect of culture business etc.... and then 5 years later everybody returns and those same countries just went,"Yeah we don't need you anymore gently caress off back where you came from."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone else find it ridiculous that the main signifier of someone using the serum is them embedding something into the wall?

If you ever find holes in the drywall, you know there's either been a super-soldier fight or some guy called Kyle lives there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The montage of Sam going through training learning to throw the shield was kinda undercut by a scene five minutes earlier where he's just casually alternating throwing and catching it with Bucky, and I think it's kind of emblematic of my major issue with this show being that it feels like a whole bunch of stuff got written/shot at different times that made other parts redundant, but then everything just kind of got jammed together. Especially in regards to Sam and Bucky's relationship, a lot of their interactions in this felt like they would have been better placed earlier in the season rather than episode 2 just opening with the two of them having just teamed up unseen.

That said there are still a lot of individual parts that I just adore, and Mackie and Stan are really working both in their individual performances and have chemistry as a duo. In regards to the cameo I love how much scenery she was chewing, she looked like she was having a great time, plus the blocking in that scene with Walker's wife being obscured from both Walker and the viewer was really nicely done.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The thing I most positively remember about Captain Marvel outside of the impressive de-aging was how much I love the scene towards the end of the film where Jude Law starts giving a big speech about how Carol has to face him without her powers to prove herself to him or something and she just casually blasts him away like the nothing piece of poo poo he is and says she doesn't have to prove anything to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I knew it wouldn't happen, but for a moment I was really hoping she'd introduce herself as Selina Meyer.

And she has no loving idea he's not Steve Rogers and is just loving aghast and in a panic when she's informed after taking photos pointing to him going,"This guy is a real hero! I endorse everything he does! :haw:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When you think about it, a lightsaber is just a very long, very glowy knife. Sort your poo poo out, Disney :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved how 70s the TVA look is. Gave me Control vibes, with a mix of Aperture Science.

God, now I wanna replay Control.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really, really enjoyed that and count me as one of the people who I assumed jumped on the "once I isolated my universe" line to mean that there are multiple "sacred" timelines and the redlines were just a marker of warning that they were getting close to touching another one again. Which would also be why we see the other TVA where they've been ordered to stop pruning timelines, because now that one sacred timeline has touched another all bets are off and the Kang in that reality (and a bunch of others in others) are ready to go to war all thinking they will be the one to control EVERYTHING.

Maybe that won't be the case and:

X-O posted:

Loki has not been dumped in an alternate universe TVA. There is no alternate universe TVA. The TVA exists outside of the multiverse because of how it functions. Loki has been dumped into a TVA that has been retroactively taken over by the Conqueror variant that was mentioned earlier in the episode.

and that'll be fine too, I just really dig the other idea for poo poo getting crazy and going full psychedelic 1970s Marvel.

A.o.D. posted:

I really do hope they lean all the way into how crazy they can go with this.

:hfive:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

I like the chain of events that if T'Challa convinces Thanos to cut it out, there's no Loki invasion. If there's no Loki invasion, there's no Avengers and no mind-control staff on Earth. If there's no Avengers or mind-control staff on Earth, there's no Ultron. If there's no Ultron, there's no destruction of Sokovia. If there's no destruction of Sokovia, there's no angry Zemo. If there's no angry Zemo, there's no assassination of King T'Chaka.

And then in the end Ego shows up to get Peter so hopefully that universe gets a Chill Dad Thanos vs. Deadbeat Dad Ego fight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I want Thanos to come back and just kind of chill in the background like he does sometimes in the comics. Would love to see the Annihilation story be a big movie thing, complete with Drax finally killing him right as he's about to save everyone.

I desperately want that panel from Infinity War (or maybe it was Crusade?) where Galactus is piloting his ship crammed with superheroes away from some giant bomb or something, and Thanos is hanging out constantly pestering him and pissing him off with his back-seat driving :allears:

"THEN LET SILENCE REIGN!" :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite part of that Spider-Man trailer (aside from ALFRED MOLINA IS BACK :woop:) is that Dr. Strange's spell working relied entirely on Spider-Man shutting his mouth for five seconds. SPIDER-MAN!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

And in Endgame they use the stones from other timelines in their home timeline?? That doesn't quite compute for me

The big thing in Endgame was that they were explicitly making a loop so that everything still happened in one timeline, with Bruce laying out to the Ancient One that by returning the stones to their original times/places after using them they wouldn't be branching to a new timeline. In Loki, the TVA claimed that the Avengers going back in time was MEANT to happen and that the only aberration was Loki escaping which they punished HIM for doing. So the stones were the exact same ones that Thanos would end up using to cause the snap, not knowing they'd already been used to undo it 5 years later (which makes him destroying them to prevent them from undoing what he did cause the Avengers to go back in time and successfully undo what he did in the first place!).

Tony explicitly telling Steve that they could use the stones to bring everybody back to NOW but not undo everything that happened in the last 5 years (and thus his daughter) was, unknown to him, the exact thing he probably needed to say to avoid TVA intervention from happening (also because that part of the MCU hasn't been written and didn't exist yet!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved that (very end of episode spoilers) The Watcher basically told Strange,"You hosed around, you found out, live with the consequences <:mad:>"