Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know it's mostly because of Covid but I appreciate how the AoS cast still actively engages with the fans, primarily thanks to the efforts of Elizabeth Henstridge, bless her soul, who's just been hosting live rewatches of the show on her Youtube channel. She invites people key to the current episodes then spends an extra 20 minutes letting fans into the Zoom call to interact with them. Was real surprised that she most recently got Jaimie Alexander to livewatch the Sif ep with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Ron Howard may not be at the top of my list of actors to play Uatu the Watcher, but I'd be lying if I said he wasn't on the list.

Thanos: "I am... inevitable."
Uatu: "He wasn't."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

KTS posted:

Could be actually, haven't seen it since it aired but I remember discussion around hints of SWORD from the show. Maybe I'm mixing up stuff from the space arcs as well

It was Hand and there was zero mention of SWORD in the show; that was just a lot of high hopes when we found out they were going to space and meeting aliens.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Imagine if it's just Roger Rabbit but with cameos from versions of heroes from all the different studios, including Corman's FF and sentai Spider-man.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah they'll deny it if it's true but the Quake rumors were started by a very unreliable rumormongery site whose name I forget at the moment. But it was the kind of site that will post fanart with some headline like "check out how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles could look in the MCU".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kevin Feige was an executive producer on Agent Carter, the only show that gives him such a credit, so it was already his baby to some extent. I believe it was also where they introduced the Red Room, which Nat offhandedly mentioned in AoU, so it isn't the first time Agent Carter brought in something, as small as it may be. I'll be real happy if they acknowledge any of the other shows, especially AoS, but none of them are as closely tied with Feige.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

sebmojo posted:

What's the political stuff around aos?

Marvel Television was almost entirely Perlmutter's thing, and that guy was a real piece of poo poo who was at odds with Feige to boot. I believe he was the one who kept trying to push the Inhuman agenda forward too. There may or may not have been bad blood between Feige and Whedon towards the end over how AoU was run and turned out, but I think--and this is just informed speculation because nobody really knows--the biggest deal with AoS and other shows isn't that so much Whedon as it is Feige really not wanting to acknowledge Perlmutter's stuff as being part of the MCU. Now that he's out, who knows if Kevin will be amenable to roping in previously cast TV characters.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

I've seen a lack for fantart for this show* and it's upsetting me.

* I probably haven't look well

Would it be in poor taste to post my own

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm okay with it, I dunno about the OP or the others?
I mean, posting fanart would also be a good way to fill in while we wait during the week.

okay, here's mine
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1358779676987072514

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah when I was a kid it blew my fuckin mind when Spider-man met the X-men. Peter was all "oh no i'm mutating but there is an expert i can visit" and I was thinking "... Curt Connors?" Then the X-men showed up and I was like... holy poo poo, THEY CAN DO THAT? This probably also cemented my love of crossovers in general and is why I'll even watch the Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover despite only ever seeing one and a half seasons of one.

(thanks for the compliments on the painting, by the way; I wasn't ashamed of the painting so much as I was reluctant to self-promote in a TVIV thread)

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 12, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

tsob posted:

its' all stuff by a crowd called Screen Culture, who seem to mostly be repackaging the same one or two trailers with different cuts. [...] Which makes me wonder if they really were actually flooding the place in spots, or if it was just an impression built up by channels like Screen Culture that just put up a constant stream of clickbaity apparent trailers and to get views. Including, looking at the results I got from a search for WandaVision stuff just now, apparent trailers for both She-Hulk and a Super Bowl spot for Spider-Man Homeworlds (which I presume is their assumed name for the next Spiderman film; though I don't believe any official name has been announced), with the She-Hulk thumb being a shot of Tatiana Malsany from Orphan Black.

I've already blocked Screen Culture from showing up on my recs because I realized quickly that they keep posting trailers made from edits of existing eps and even material not from the same studio, and then posting them with clickbaity titles like "Wandavision Promo 6" or whatever. Same with that "She-Hulk trailer".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That plague mask guy looks like a halloween decoration to me. It looks like it's being propped up by the pole behind it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I mentioned this in the other thread but I just hope there's a reasonable explanation for the "recast" Quicksilver. Fox Pietro would be a somewhat reasonable explanation but it doesn't have to be that--other explanations would be fine with me. However, it would be pretty dumb if it was Mephisto and the reason was just like "haha yeah I can change reality but not my face so I put on this wig and hoped you'd fall for it somehow".

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 14, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Protagorean posted:

It was so underpushed I'd never heard about it until you asked and it apparently sucked so bad Marvel axed it after one ten-episode season (though being the one errant project remaining from the aborted line-up of similarly themed Hulu MCU shows probably had more to do with it)

It was so underpushed that they removed the Marvel branding almost entirely. I don't think anyone who watched knew it was related to Marvel at all unless they already knew to begin with.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

(bad guy discussion) It would be kinda dumb if they reveal Agatha to be the bad guy only to reveal someone previously not mentioned to be the bad guy just one or two episodes later... but if she's an old school witch I might be able to accept that some version of the devil is the real bad guy of the series. Since it's tying in to Doctor Strange 2, I'd expect it to be Dormammu rather than Mephisto, or maybe even for Dormammu and Mephisto to be one and the same in the MCU, because I don't think we need two Satans competing for relevance.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I can't believe Bryan Cranston is finally part of the MCU after years of people fancasting them in roles.

Wanderer posted:

It makes me wonder if it ties into stuff from the 2016 Scarlet Witch solo book, which had Wanda encounter the spirit of her biological mother, who had also been known at one point as the Scarlet Witch.

I'd think it was too deep of a dive if the show hadn't already pulled out a bunch of the '80s "Wanda and Vision go to suburbia" miniseries, plus John Byrne!Vision.

If it is, that would mean that her actual family was actually living out Bewitched for real!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Agatha's also a pretty good improv comedian, apparently.

Okay, my guess for a cameo, based on googling the history of what we saw in this ep, is Michael Douglas. They have never been in a movie with Paul Bettany, not even within the MCU.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They announced nine but some people are speculating on a "secret" tenth episode, especially after the Disney Plus UK Twitter just tweeted that episode 8 is live and there are two eps left.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

There's certainly NO WAY Ward could ever come back. Again. Again?

"Director Hayward"
"Director Heyward"
"Director Hey, Ward"
Director: "Hey, Ward"

:aaa:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wonder what plot element Loki is gonna have that will convince half the internet that it will finally be the series that absolutely definitively introduces mutants into the MCU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I assume he was already in the middle of magic training by then. Maybe it noticed large purchases of ram's blood and newt eyes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking I want to see him in the outfit he wore in that.

We will probably never get a Gwenpool live action series, but a animated one on the level of the Harley Quinn series would be amazing.

I love Gwenpool but I can't imagine how it would work in live-action. Prior to getting her powers, her "power" was knowledge of all the secrets and extensive continuity of Marvel, but in the MCU nobody has a secret identity and there aren't any huge secrets the audience is privy to that the Avengers don't already know. And if she were to get powers, I assume she'd be playing with film rather than comic book panels? I guess it would be neat if she could like, obtain the Infinity Gauntlet by visiting the props room in the studio or something.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Dexo posted:

It is a very Black (American?, can't speak for the others in the diaspora) thing.

I have people I didn't know weren't actually related to me until late teens/adulthood who I call Aunt and Uncle, who babysat me/were always at family functions.

Everyone does this in the Philippines as well, and I know various random people from America (California, specifically) have told me in the past that yes, they use it like that over there too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Here's some proper MCU content to stimulate discussion

https://twitter.com/tevruden/status/1390865694401630209

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Maybe Loki will time travel back to the beginning of time and create the first mutant. Or is Miss Minutes the first mutant? Owen Wilson's character initials being MMM can't be a coincidence. gently caress, what if it actually stands for Marvel's Mephisto Mutants

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

All comics solved this problem decades ago, and the answer is "don't think about it"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

they're just foreshadowing the reveal that taika is mephisto

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Maybe it's the eye but it has something else inside it. Or if it's the time stone, multiverse, yeah. Or if you don't like stealing stones from other timelines, just say that Strange sent the time stone into the future to be used as normal, and then whoever is the final wielder of the eye at the heat death of the universe can just be the one to send the stone back in time to Thanos.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh no now I'm worried about the safety of Deke :ohdear: (he definitely exists and I won't hear a word saying otherwise)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I thought for sure they were gonna keep it a mystery where all the stolen charges were going and then reveal in the penultimate ep's cliffhanger that she's been planting charges at the TVA all along. Glad they went with that plan instead.

I'm guessing Gugu's character is gonna be the real bad guy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is the TVA racist against non-humans because they only employ humans, or are they racist against humans because from what we've seen they seem to be disproportionately targeting humans

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

...well gently caress, I need to watch this show

Just a warning that the first season was trying too hard to be Continuum/Twelve Monkeys and failing really hard, so if you're finding it intolerable, you can skip to season 2 (although I personally don't recommend skipping) without missing a lot. Over the course of the second season, they pivoted hard and the show gradually became a lot more like Chuck, where they started writing what seemed fun instead of what seemed to make sense. I'd say the moment the show finds its tone is the moment someone says George Lucas has the Spear of Destiny

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The founder of the TVA is Deke, in an attempt to get back to the one true timeline

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Also RDJ being in AoS would make it unadvoidably canon and we could've had Fitzsimmons in Wandavision and Mack giving advice to Sam in FATWS :yayclod:

SMJ's been in more MCU films than RDJ and his presence didn't make AoS much more canon :v:

Except in my heart, where it remains the sacred timeline.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

"Miss Minutes" is an anagram of "Mephisto"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wonder if there's some rights thing going on there, seeing as how I don't think they even tried to get Tom's likeness. I know Marvel has full rights for animated versions of Spider-man and I'm curious whether that precludes making him resemble a Sony iteration too much. Also lol that this is the first time we get confirmation that Uncle Ben even existed in the MCU.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yakmouth posted:

We did? I totally missed that.

When listing out people he's lost while talking about how he's able to keep his positive attitude: "My mom, dad, Uncle Ben, Mr Stark..."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It was very embarrassing that in a season of TV where The Flash was touting that it would be doing a musical, it was Once Upon A Time of all the stupid shows that had to step up and tell them "this is how you do a loving musical episode of TV". Show was bad but that ep was good.

Of course, The Magicians had a single song that year and even that was better than the Flash musical.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Of all the pre-D+ shows, Agent Carter is the only one that Feige had some kind of involvement in. If any of those shows are still canon, it'd be that for sure. And AoS, because I said so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why did they need a bow and arrow expert in 2010 as their top assassin?

He's just, apparently, been assassinating people with a bow and arrow and using USB arrows from an unknown source for decades and nobody seems to question it.

Maybe they needed him for all the trick arrows. After all, USB arrows and web arrows make sense, but USB bullets and web bullets would just be silly.