Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's an interesting B plot here with the Patriots harboring a bunch of charlatans under apparently Belichick's approval (Guerrero and Easterby). I didn't include an excerpt but the article goes into some detail about how Easterby became Belichick's confidant.

Bellichick didn't like Guerrero much and was part of the reason Brady and him grew to have a frosty relationship. Remember there was a big hubub about Bill banning him from certain things a few years back and Brady getting his panties in a knot. Also since he left and started taking over in Houston no one either covering or involved with the team has had anything good to say about Easterby that I can recall either. No one has outright trashed him unsolicited but whenever it's been brought up they are like yeah this guy is a clown I don't understand what they are doing down there and how he's managed to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Easterby is your classic religious huckster charlatan, and McNair is a gullible moron eating all this poo poo right up because it "feels right" and he speaks his faith or some bullshit

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It sounds like Watson doesn't want a white coach lmao

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Gonna laugh if they end up refusing to trade him out of spite and he refuses to show up out of spite

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

He has since burned every bridge there and salted the earth. The Patriots don't release the hounds on people on the way out like the Red Sox do, but everyone who wasn't saying anything about him is now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

Guys... it's not him.

No, of course not

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

MLB has no salary floor which means you get cheap poo poo owners like the Bob Nutting (Pirates) pretending to be poor and saying they can't afford to compete.

At the rate this is going however, it's going to change. They are more than likely headed to a strike because the owners aren't even pretending to try anymore and the CBA is almost up

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Or blowing a 24-0 lead in the playoffs

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

Tbf he got to that game by overcoming an 18-0 deficit in the previous outing.

On the other hand, they needed OT to beat the Bills

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would be interesting if the Texans top pick refused to play for them.

They'll weed out all the undesirables beforehand and find themselves a nice god fearing lad

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I have no idea whether to believe it or not, which says a lot about the Texans. It's counter productive to drag him through the mud before he is gone, not after you make the deal, and it doesn't make much sense to use it as a "well we don't want this guy on the team now, we'll trade him so we can get someone with v a l u e s" because of the first point.

On the other hand, it does seem a little suspicious and oddly timed but if 23 years of SVU has taught me anything it's everyone has their own pace as far as coming forward with their story

If this was any other player and team it wouldn't even be a question, which circles back to my original point of saying a lot about the Texans.

If it turns out there is a real victim whenever the filing gets published then she does deserve benefit of the doubt. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, just people looking for it with no luck

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I 100% understand how you feel. My general attitude is to believe the victim unless there's a good reason not to after evidence is presented. But there's an awful lot of weird coincidences in this thing.

After seeing the new info yeah it's more likely that he did it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

King Hong Kong posted:

As an aside to the actual important things, the assertion "I've never been a Texans fan" from a guy who launched a campaign for the Texans to draft Johnny Football is pretty funny.

Yeah I thought that was kind of funny

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah the benefit of the doubt is gone now, yikes

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s more likely that there is a circle of prostitution that we are unaware of generally on instagram and there were some crossed wires.

It's definitely a thing. I can see it happening one time where he's like oh you aren't in on the game my bad, but not 12 times. He is definitely getting pros off there too but he's really just trolling for every hot girl and letting it all out and seeing what comes of it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ESPN may not be going all in on this because they don't want to piss off the NFL

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

:lol: If Roger Goodell tries to suppress this story

It's not about them suppressing it, the NFL just gets butthurt sometimes when their media partners rip them in the media or bring negative attention to them

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

syzpid posted:

Remember when PFT had the "Days since an NFL player was arrested" counter which almost never got into double digits. Plus it's in their media partners profit line not to make this big news.

Honestly to me this is worse then Gordon, Vick & Rice. In a fair world, he would never play again. In this one he'll probably play before Josh Gordon ever does again,.

Easily worse than Josh Gordon cause he's just loving his own life up. Vick and Ray Rice are closer because those are pretty bad for different reasons, but I think what Watsons been doing is still way worse.

It's tough to say whether it's worse than what Hernandez and Carruth did but that becomes a discussion about whether physically abusing and emotionally damaging a lot of people for life is worse than outright killing someone

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

tarbrush posted:

I don't mean by any means to diminish the impact that Watson's actions will have had on his victims, but Hernandez very much killed a man.

I know he did. Is doing what Watson or someone like Bill Cosby did worse than shooting a guy and killing him? Yeah you took his life away but it's not like the other two didn't in their own way either. It's a weird moral discussion

Vick got so much hatred because a lot of people can rationalize crimes against a person but not anything involving animals because they are largely seen as innocent whereas a person might have done something to "deserve it" at some point

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Watson is at least on the level of Winslow and Darren Sharper

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The first one is a big oof :stonk:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree - he likely doesn't have the money to settle right now even if he wanted to.

It depends how bad the compensation per person is, but isn't it plausible to set up a per month settlement payment(s) vs one lump sum

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Carolina should just trade for Watson and then have big bucks Tepper write a settlement check for everyone and make it go away

New market inefficiency discovered, look at me

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wasn't he doing a ton of covid shaming on people? This guys all over the place lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can NDAs ever be circumvented?

Lol, people break NDAs all the time now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

A Texas lawyer put up a summary FAQ about the whole thing. Some of it is common sense but then she gets into legal questions in the middle

https://www.stradleylaw.com/blog/deshaun-watson-lawsuits-questions/

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

oh god florio what are you doing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If they had traded him and then all this came out surely the league would have to intervene to undo it.

No they wouldn't

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when the NBA vetoed a trade because they could?

That was David Stern and the NFL would never do that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ozymandius1024 posted:

Why do people think stuff like this will fly in this day and age? loving moron.

When is the last time something actually came out that an athlete or celebrity was being extorted? Zeke Elliott around the time he got drafted?

Didn't it happen to Shannon Sharpe or am I confusing that with something else

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It's definitely gonna end up with:

Some drop out, some settle, some get dismissed

And he'll be back on the field and lauded for overcoming adversity at some point

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

NDAs dont really mean poo poo anymore

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

GD_American posted:

I want a Bob Mueller, PI book series with him just being the most incompetent, self-important boob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uRn4-ZwfM

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

vick had a really hard time landing with another team didn’t he?

No, he like immediately got a job with the Eagles

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Bengals have a prolific history of arrests lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is this based on him trying to fly people into Texas from other states, or on new information we haven't yet read?

Likely the first one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I would think it would have to be attempted solicitation, but IANAL so ask Mr. Nice

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/28/chatter-builds-of-a-potential-deshaun-watson-trade/

PFT posted:

Multiple executives from teams not directly involved in the discussions tell PFT that there’s mounting chatter that Watson will be traded in the coming days.

The two finalists are believed to be the Panthers and the Dolphins. (The Broncos and Eagles also had been linked to Watson.) If it happens, it would turn things upside down for whichever team gets Watson.

oh boy

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It actually would be a really amusing proposition for Watson to just ride out the entire remainder of his deal sitting on the bench not active every game. He doesn't get to leave or play, so he'd miss effectively five years of his career before anyone could sign him. Amazing troll spite move by the Texans. Yeah he's getting paid but if he has any incentives he'll never get them, and despite getting paid he's still going to be miserable and mad because he's stuck there and literally wasting his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I have no clue. But if they're tying all the cases together there are a whole lot of people to interview here is what I assume is the problem?

Or at least the excuse.

Covid is making everything run slower no matter what it is