Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Magicpants posted:

Jack makes you laugh and teaches you about the Lord, what a good time and a great massage

This explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Nodoze posted:

It's not about them suppressing it, the NFL just gets butthurt sometimes when their media partners rip them in the media or bring negative attention to them

Remember when PFT had the "Days since an NFL player was arrested" counter which almost never got into double digits. Plus it's in their media partners profit line not to make this big news.

Honestly to me this is worse then Gordon, Vick & Rice. In a fair world, he would never play again. In this one he'll probably play before Josh Gordon ever does again,.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It seems sort of crazy that not only has the NFL done nothing about this yet, but that no sponsors have even dropped him yet. What do you have to lose from dropping him at this point? Most of those contracts have moral clauses and the companies can easily get out of them at this point.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was curious, and it looks like Vick was never put on the commissioners exempt list until the Eagles signed him

Apr 25 07 - Cops raid his property
July 17 07 - Indicted
July 26 07 - Pleaded Not Guilty
Aug 20 07 - Accepted Plea deal
Aug 24 07 - Suspended indefinitely without pay by the NFL
May 20 09 - Vick released from prison
June 12 09 - Falcons relinquish rights
Aug 13 09 - Eagles sign Vick
Sep 5 09 - Added to the exempt list
Sep 15 09 - activated off the list

I guess it's entirely possible the league sits back and doesn't do anything until he's found guilty. Or if more sponsors start dropping him (it's crazy that so far only 2 have dropped him, and one was just a suspension of the contract).

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man it would be cool if some of these anonymous players would put their names to their statements. I get there's pressure and all for them to stay quiet but we keep hearing from guys to the tune of "all these women are lying gold diggers" with their names attached.

I mean that one retired player I had never heard of tweeted "That's crazy, I had 5 masseuses over my whole 8 year career" and within hours the tweet was deleted. I feel like the NFL is doing a lot of behind the scenes work to kill this story as much as they can. With the draft and the Rodgers drama, this has really fallen off, and I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL did nothing about this until Watson tried to report to the Texans, which doesn't seem likely at all.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I would be shocked if Watson shows up before the regular season starts. It costs him next to nothing to skip all the pre-season stuff. It's holding out during the regular season which is going to be expensive. And the Texans using their first pick in the draft on a QB seems to show that in the long run they know that Watson isn't going to be around.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
NFL Investigators have spoken with 4 of the plaintiffs, for what it's worth.

Hardin claims Buzbee has approached him multiple times, but they pretty much refuse to talk about a settlement. I don't know much about law, but I feel like Buzbee and Hardin are among the worst and are in an amazing slapfight.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Right now what's going on is in the best interest of the league.

Watson continuing his holdout means that the league isn't really forced to step in and do something about him.

Most likely this whole thing gets settled and swept under the rug, but it's too late for Watson to go anywhere. After it's settled the NFL says it never found any evidence and doesn't suspend him.

When trading opens up next pre-season, by then someone trades for him and the vast majority of NFL fans are more then willing to act that since they victims took the money, Watson did nothing wrong and were just out for the money.

The worst thing that could happen is if he reports to the Texans and proceeds to force the NFL and the Texans hand. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's some back door communication between him and the league for him to not report so the league doesn't have to take action.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

It might also be because he isn't traveling with the team to their first pre-season game.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I pointed it out earlier in the thread, but Vick didn't even end up on the exempt list until after he was released from prison. So the idea that the NFL is waiting for charges to do something is ridiculous. The league just doesn't want to lose one of it's most popular players and is hoping that the news dies off (which a lot of it has now), and that Watson just settles with them so the league can pretend it was just a money thing. But I've been wrong before. I assumed Watson was never showing up for camp.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1432426803638022148

LOL isn't this the exact reason for the exempt list? (stolen from Ehud in the AFCE thread)

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm figuring the Texans are willing to take the financial hit so they can keep Watson as viable trade bait.

That said, are players on the exempt list still paid?

quote:

While on the commissioner's exempt list, a player is paid as if he were on the active roster, yet he does not count against his team's 53-man active roster limit.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Intruder posted:

Why would Taylor getting hurt change anything when it's Watson who's refusing to play anyway?

Watson reported, and practiced with the team in the preseason. It's now the Texans choosing not to play him.

Right now it's probably a combination of the team not wanting to be embarrassed because of the sexual assault charges, and not wanting him to get hurt.

I don't think Watson could play anyway, with the short week, I think he would need 5 days of covid tests to be eligible to play.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Docjowles posted:

On the other hand, when Le’veon Bell sat out a year he transformed from perennial pro bowler to barely usable. Maybe it was going to happen anyway since RBs just crater hard from the abuse of the position. But it did make me wonder about what a year away from the game does to someone.

Also worth noting that Gase never wanted him, and just used him the same as he would Gore. Take the ball, run it where I tell you and that's that. Of course it doesn't help Bell's argument that he did nothing in KC, and is looking absolutely cooked in Baltimore.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I saw Bill O'Brien was trending on twitter, and wow do Alabama fans hate him for someone that's only been there this year.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I mean from reports the texans had 3 first round picks lined up for Watson but weren't able to garuntee the lawsuits would be sorted and depending on the source, actually pushed for more picks and players as part of the deal. He might be something of a distraction but if he can garner that kind of interest WITH this kind of issue hanging over his head, you'd be dumb to get rid of him.

The reports are even funnier. Dolphins and Texans had a deal. It was a discounted deal (the 3 first rounders instead of the 5 the Texans were looking for) because of the lawsuits against Watson. The Dolphins then started talking to Watson about settling some of the lawsuits, and when the Texans heard about it they raised their price back up to 5 first rounders at the very least.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
LOL Caserio won't say anything about David Culley until after the season. Why not just say "Of course he's our coach, he's signed through whenever and will be back next year"

Honestly Culley has done better then anyone could have expected given the roster. They already had to scrape the bottom of the barrel getting the Ravens Passing Game Co-ordinator. Whose going to come with a roster this bad and the fact that they will just fire you after 1 season.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I'm curious why it's only 9 of the 22?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder that grand juries can indict a ham sandwich. If Watson was not indicted, it’s because the prosecutor did not want him to.

For example, the trump loving republican prosecutor did not tell the Breonna Taylor grand jury that they could really charge the cops with murdering her. Multiple members of the grand jury have came out and said “we didn’t know we could charge them because he never told us we could.”

Our justice system is awful.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Hardin already has accused the women’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, of selectively leaking information from the proceedings to make Watson look terrible

I mean he already looked terrible when more and more women started speaking out and the biggest question was "Why do you need to visit at least 22 different massage therapists?"

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Why does Rusty Hardin keep doing press, or interviews at all? It seems like everything that comes out of his mouth just makes things worse?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Move the Browns to Baltimore, again

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Why are they even letting Watson answer questions?

In response to any question about the lawsuits, why isn't his response "I'm here to talk football, you will have to talk to my lawyer"?

Is anyone not even prepping him for these interviews? Why would any of these possible questions come as a surprise?

Or is Watson just dumb and really thinks he did nothing wrong?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

quote:

"Per a source with knowledge of the intended strategy, the NFLPA currently is bracing for a recommendation by the league of 'unprecedented' punishment of Watson," Florio wrote.

"The source explains that the NFLPA would defend Watson in part by making an aggressive argument premised on the consequences, or lack thereof, imposed on a trio of owners who recently have found themselves embroiled in off-field controversy. The argument will be that the punishment of Watson is not proportional to the punishment of those owners, especially in light of this key line from the Personal Conduct Policy: 'Ownership and club or league management have traditionally been held to a higher standard and will be subject to more significant discipline when violations of the Personal Conduct Policy occur.'"

Break out the popcorn, cause I'm not defending Watson at all, but I want to see how much of a mess the NFLPA makes of ownership.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Intruder posted:

I don't think it's likely Cal himself knew anything about this or about anything at all. I'm reminded of the story of Sage Rosenfels going in his office and there was no furniture and Cal was sitting on the floor playing Xbox

I can't imagine a team knowing that their star QB is doing something so shady that the team wants to supply him with an NDA and absolutely no one ever running it by the owner. Plus Rosenfels was last on the Texans in 09, things have changed just a bit since then.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Docjowles posted:

Le’Veon sat out one year and went from perennial all-pro to washed and quickly out of the league. But there’s really no comparison between the hell an RBs body goes through and a QB (other than Cam) so probably can’t conclude anything from that. It would be extremely funny though if he just sucks rear end now.

He also ended up with a coach who hated his style of play and wanted Frank Gore style just run the ball in the called hole no matter what. Still doesn't explain his absolute disappearing act with the Chiefs though, I figured Reid could make good use out of him.

CannonFodder posted:

Michael Vick had some drop in skill but was helped by having Andy Reid for his coach. I don’t know anything about Stefanski. Well I just learned I’m a year older than him :corsair:

Vick looked really awful that first year with the Eagles, and even heading into his second season on the team they went with Kolb as starter until he got hurt. Vick could still show flashes of his old self, but he did do more of the off the field stuff too, like actually watching game film.

The main difference is that the Eagles weren't expecting much from Vick and it was a flyer for them. The Browns just gave up everything and need Watson to be good right now.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Vick barely played in 2009. He had 13 passing attempts. That’s not enough to say he looked like anything, good or bad.

He was in camp, and played in the preseason. I live near Philly and it was all anyone at my job at the time would talk about.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Intruder posted:

The owners always come out ahead. Donald Sterling was punished by having to sell his team for like $800 million over its valuation. The only time owners don't win is when they lie about their finances to buy the Islanders

Islanders fans almost won because Spano wanted to fire Milbury.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I want him to get suspended for 2 years just because it's such BS the way that contract is structured. Also because screw the Browns for their complacency in all this and someone should definitely punish the Texans too. The idea that someone in the org would make and hand Watson an NDA but "Oh the owners didn't know any of this was going on" is such a bold faced lie that shouldn't be accepted by anyone as truth.

I believe the league is going to go for 6/8 game range, but claim that they were being lenient because he didn't play last season. Or that last season counts as part of the suspension.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Isn't it normal for even suspended players to still be eligible for Camp/Preseason? I swear I remember players facing suspension or already suspended still going through all the normal camp and preseason games.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I really can't believe they aren't fining the Texans at all. Even if it's just a monetary fine. They facilitated all of this. Remember when they fired their award winning PR department? I will bet anything the woman running PR got word of this and absolutely tore everyone in the org a new one. Yea, the Browns are bad because they traded for him AND gave him that contract along with every statement they've made since trading for him, but man the Texans deserve some sort of punishment here.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
This is why they should have given him an indefinite suspension and keep adding to it when stuff like this happened. The league is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was curious about the timing and it lines up:

The Texans started giving Watson NDAs in November of 2020.

The Texans fired their award winning PR person in November of 2020.