Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

duz posted:

then why does the lorax exist?
Nepotism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
truth hurts

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
They also call Dutch a language when really it's just an imitation of a 12th-century Fleming who took 50 to choke to death on a pube

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

jeebus bob posted:

Kentucky Scryed Chicken
:golfclap:

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm waiting
gently caress off, get me one first

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

MrQueasy posted:

ok! put beef down as #2
:lovebird:

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Kenny Logins posted:

counterpoint: astrology
Such a Scorpio opinion :rolleye:

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Jonny 290 posted:

the bills are ridiculous
:j:

Achmed Jones posted:

i feel like tarot and magic tricks are two versions of what is ultimately the same nerd starter pack
Yes but the difference is that magicians are didease-ridden degenerates who should be chastened with sticks and scourges and driven from the village

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
Ugh all of you magician lovers make me sick. I bet you like puppets too

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Jonny 290 posted:

i think you've just been bested too many times by folks in billowy silk shirts and you're a little bitter about it
They are ontologically evil and I'm not just saying that because one gave me Chlamydia

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

well yes. muppets are a kind of puppet
Muppets get a pass but the rest of them should be purged from the earth

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

bring this balmer back imo
Bring this balmer back balmer back balmer back balmer back
Chili's balmer back ribs

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Brrrmph posted:

how is this man only 30 years old
I think that might be due to the mountain of cocaine he seems to be on at all times

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
https://twitter.com/ConnorDaleyVT/status/1671237432493105152?t=kNwVPcMQ4hN7iPGqSecT7Q&s=19

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

PokeJoe posted:

Who the hell are you
I am vengeance. I am the night.

I'm Batman

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
Okay but I'm still Batman for the purposes of this thread

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

PokeJoe posted:

Acceptable
sending u 2 arkham 4ever

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Agile Vector posted:

7 years into Augustus' reign, but yeah the previous years were a mess. when it fell apart again we get a horse consul and a handful of emperors a year
The previous decades. The Social Wars, Sulla's occupation of the city, the Catiline Conspiracy, the 3rd Servile War, et al. But none of it was strictly unprecedented despite the Roman talent for crafting rose-colored glasses.

The horse as consul/senator was rather early on in the Principate—probably midway through Caligula's reign (37-41) when relations with the Senate broke down and was more likely a jab at the co-option of almost the whole of the cursus honorum. Caligula was many things and was certainly not a nice man, but care must be taken with these things because, above all else, the Romans were just utterly full of poo poo.

In Caligula's case, they were faced with a situation where the emperor had been murdered¹ and what people generally assumed was a drooling gimp chosen by the prætorian put in his place. An emperor, it might be added, who was much more popular with the people than he was with the senatorial class (this was also the case, tho less luridly, with Nero)

Contemporary sources are also thin—Tacitus' Annals, written closest to the events, regarding this period have significant lacunæ—but non-Roman writings such as Philo's The Embassy to Gaius portray not so much a perverted lunatic but just a callous, arrogant young man with a strange sense of humor.

As for emperor clusters, well, there are two main events: the Year of the Four Emperors in 69CE and the Year of the Five Emperors in 193CE, which wasn't as nice—especially for Didius Julianus, who lasted a mere 66 days.

And now, a tweet

https://twitter.com/phosphor_glow/status/1677151289438883850?t=3Tg889RiOfWDrONfp6rq2g&s=19

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

well-read undead posted:

my favorite thing about caligula is that his name means little boot, because that’s what soldiers called him when he paraded around in miniature armor as a child
Well his name was Gaius Julius Cæsar Augustus Germanicus (Augustus coming after ascension). Even given the frequently insulting nature of Roman cognomens (Cæsar is among other things thought to be mocking the family tendency towards baldness, Cicero means chickpea, Brutus means "stupid-looking", Pulcher "pretty boy", etc) Caligula fuckin hated it and its usage in histories is another posthumous "gently caress you"

And fun fact: the Horace that started this thread of conversation deserted the battle at Phillipi and returned to Rome under amnesty. (His cognomen, Flaccus, well, I'm sure you can guess what it means but I'm not quite sure the context is the same. Also a patrician, which is surprisingly less common than you might think when it comes to portrayals of the period.)

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Agile Vector posted:

this is a great refresher/education and i forgot there were multiple rounds of Too Many Emperors
I think there were a couple more with just 3, but I think they escape notice because they didn't come at the end of such a notable dynasty (Julio-Claudian and Antonine, respectivel)

quote:

also that tweet is going to be stuck in my head for days

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

well-read undead posted:

diss culture run amok!

quote:

Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō
Aurēlī pathice et cinaede Fūrī,
quī mē ex versiculīs meīs putāstis
quod sunt molliculī, parum pudīcum.
Nam castum esse decet pium poētam
ipsum, versiculōs nihil necesse est
quī tum dēnique habent salem ac lepōrem
Sī sint molliculī ac parum pudīcī
et quod prūriat incitāre possint
nōn dīcō puerīs sed hīs pilōsīs
quī dūrōs nequeunt movēre lumbōs.
Vōs quod mīlia multa bāsiōrum
lēgistis male mē marem putātis?
Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō.

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

why would anyone willingly subject themselves to mister bread's face
He is seriously so creepy looking

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

rotor posted:

i agree, they should be usb3
YOU SHOULD BE USB3

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
BofA deez knots

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
President Beep u r fired we have found ur replacement

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1680609883962449920?t=UhtOcr5qo0PlozPo8sHb5A&s=19

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Agile Vector posted:

I miss(?) when meetings were like 80 people with cameras off and no engagement.
I like it when people have their cameras on because that way I can surmise from their body language whether they're mad at me or not

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

idk what people are getting out of these
They're masturbating, op

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

lol that's pretty sad
Well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be hot for you might not be hot for you. A man is hornt, a man with dreams, of cranking hog while a lady says "ice creams!"

Cos it takes different strokes yes it takes different strokes it takes different strokes to rule the world

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

please tell me x.org has a copyright on that
Even if they had trademarked it, they would have needed to take action 24 years ago (when Musk and others started a failed online bank that merged into what would become Paypal)

However, it's unlikely that any action would bear fruit as the likelihood of consumers being confused between a windowing system and the farcical doubling down of the world's richest moron so 🤷🏻‍♀️

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

ultrafilter posted:

Meta and Microsoft both have registered trademarks on X that Elon is infringing on. He's gonna have a bad day soon.
Okay yes but what's their first use in commerce because x.com has been around since before hilbo was a glint in the BBC detector van man's eye

Anywho enjoy

https://twitter.com/EllieTrashcakes/status/1683667329232830467?t=MVggyIIfUIAOC25drAhZWQ&s=19

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

mods please rename this thread to "yospos exe thread"
"X gonna give it (bankruptcy) to ya"

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Sapozhnik posted:

johnny five ounces
Imagine four 8-balls on the edge of a cliff

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

dpkg chopra posted:

evolutionarily speaking, all roads lead to crab
And then to Crabcakes

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
That bidet is way too big for such a small crab

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
https://twitter.com/GumbyScreens/status/1689748599079333888?t=JEg0bAgg06O7KPOecz75Kw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
I have three codes for you thirsty hogs