Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

James Acaster is a national treasure:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1344760176474267648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Grouchio posted:

I got to become a Lord over a square foot of Aberdeenshire land for christmas.

How about you?

I got that like... two? years ago

Never once demanded that I be referred to as my actual title.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

ukle posted:

Boris is addressing the nation at 8pm tonight.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1346106536855302144

Ah ffs I need to go shopping tomorrow it's gonna be a nightmare now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ewan posted:

If parliament is being recalled on Wednesday, is that the earliest that this new lockdown can come into effect?

What, realistically, might "strict lockdown" include different from existing Tier 4 - i.e. is it in effect just extending Tier 4 to the whole of the country? Or might they remove some of the current exceptions? Or.... maybe schools?

I believe they can retroactively approve it - I'm fairly sure that's happened already once or twice - but it sounds like this is coming into affect on Wednesday (whether that's midnight tomorrow or at some arbitrary point on Wednesday is anyone's guess).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1346128827651657731

Jesus christ this one is even worse than the ITV one I shared earlier. One of the most pathetic things I've ever seen

They must have focus grouped something around this (lol of course they have), because he keeps stressing "national" and "national plan" over and over and over. I can only assume they have some polling that says people don't like the regional approach.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Tarnop posted:

They brought in Agile consultants at the last place I worked. The end result was a 15 minute stand-up meeting every morning that everyone hated, 15 minutes less time to do the same amount of work every day, and another spreadsheet to fill in.

I have an hour of stand up meetings + post-stand up meetings every morning from 9-10 that I've just about managed to shift on the rest of my team.

Then regular meetings throughout the day to discuss progress on the work we can't do because we're in meetings discussing the work.

It's madness.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

feedmegin posted:

Just had a quick company all-hands meeting (we have one every couple weeks) -

- Company employees have had the covids (we're 200 people or so and it's 1 in 40 in London right now I think? So not surprising)
- They know and expect we're not going to be at full working capacity for the next bit and will be communicating that to our shareholders
- They're not going to even try and predict a back in the office date, even 'the summer' - instead they'll give us 2 months' warning, whenever it is.

It's nice working somewhere that doesn't want to kill me.

Yeah we had an email round on Monday saying that they were postponing any back in the office date to an indeterminate point in the future. I'm still trying to push to stay home forever because honestly gently caress going into the office.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm not a maths man but I have an issue with the first "erroneous" example the writer gives:

1 - 2 + 4

Which they say the correct value is 3.

Why is it three? Other than the author saying it should be 3, and not -5, to prove their point that BODMAS (apparently) doesn't 'work'. Again, no real background in maths, but isn't 'work' pretty subjective in this instance (i.e. what you want the answer to be)?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Guavanaut posted:

Because if you have 1 thing and take away 2, you have -1 things, and add 4 you get 3, or more intuitively if you have 1 thing and add 4 you have 5, then take away 2 you have 3. Or 4 things and take away 2 you have 2 and add 1 you have 3. It works whatever order you put them in, which you have to assume is the case without any brackets.

1 - (2 + 4) would get you -5.

I hadn't considering changing the order of the sum. That makes sense, thanks!

Anyway ghouls in the Commons are currently asking why Boris is imposing a "malicious" lockdown this is the normal state of our democracy.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

CoolCab posted:

but gambrinus, i love pointing out how things are ridiculous. that is i think innate in any critique of nationalism - to challenge, endlessly, these nonsensical ideas. to point out that guto bebb is a star wars name directly lead to repeated accusations of neonazism is a wonderful example of the constructions that nationalism has left in some people's mind. that they can, without a spark of cognitive dissonance, say "stating guto bebb is star wars name is so culturally insensitive it is conceptually and morally similar to supporting race based genocide"

i don't banter my friend i analyse and i am critical. sometimes i need to do that using the rhetorical flourish of pointing out the absurd, like highlighting how someone called me a blood and soil fascist for saying guto bebb is a star wars name, or rely on shock value to get my point across, like gesturing to an equivalence drawn between calling guto bebb a star wars name and supporting violent nazi genocide, and sometimes i rely on repetition to really hammer in a point i think should be obvious, like how calling guto bebb a star wars character is actually, believe it or not, quite dissimilar to blood and soil fascism, and how perhaps we should critically evaluate the logic that comes to that conclusion. that's just me, though.

CoolCab I've agreed with some of the things you've posted ITT but jesus christ, you are the one who brought up this apparent slur against you (where even was that? I don't remember it in the last UKMT but gently caress maybe it was in the pages and pages of nonsense that goes on) and have insisted on arguing about it with everyone, even when people who are literally have personal experience of being negatively affected by the type of comment you made. Take the loving loss and move on, this random poster you have such a problem is not worth so many posts.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Fool me logged back into twitter for the first time in ages.
I get the impression that "they" will try and assassinate Biden on 20th.

I understand why you'd be concerned, but the far right completely overplayed their hand on Wednesday and that makes this very unlikely. The first reason is that the entire security apparatus has been embarrassed, and (as much as they without interference from Trump and their lackeys) will be doing everything to avoid it happening again. I appreciate that's putting a lot of faith in cops, but cops hate looking bad.

The second reason is that Biden is now fully aware of what the fascists in his country are capable of, and will demand that the secret service do everything to protect him. It was already going to be a cut-down ceremony, it's going to be even tighter now.

The final reason is that Twitter and Facebook have finally stepped up and done something about the fascists organising terrorism on their platforms. Getting rid of the big players (or them getting arrested) is huge. There's going to be a split amongst the Qanon nutters now about who to follow, on what platform, how to even download the apps etc. Do you imagine the type of people we saw at the riot would be capable of knowing how to sideload an app without guidance from someone? Taking away their organisational capacity essentially shuts down any chance of a repeat.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I hope you're right!
I've seen parler (or someone) is making the parler app available as an .apk file.

There'll no doubt be people who can sideload parler (or whatever they move to, I saw parler might be gone soon anyway), but I can't imagine people living in bumfuck Tennessee (or, indeed, surburban housewives from Texas) are going to do it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Off topic slightly but some folks will get a kick out of this. It’s that time of the year where I get on with the depressing task of shopping around for car insurance when my current provider inevitably whacks the renewal up. Despite not having any offences or incidents.

One provider (who was surprisingly the cheapest so far) had a ClearScore style breakdown of all the various factors that determine the quote you get, which I’ve never seen before and it’s honestly pretty useful. But one thing caught my eye.

The gammons are going to love this if this kind of information becomes more commonplace. These days you get arrested and put in jail charged higher premiums just for being English!

I'm amazed they tell you this! I used to work for an insurance company (both for the customer side and then moving into the background) and we were under strict orders to never reveal the secrets of the rates tables.

It's surprising they rate on country though (and it's out of 25 ???). I wouldn't expect there would be much correlation between someone in the south west compared to, say, Birmingham. Possibly it's a very tiny rating step (we had a few that were like 0.995 for being a member of a driving club, and it made next to no difference).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Camrath posted:

I was certainly surprised on moving out from London to see my insurance (on a 13yo Audi A4) drop from c. £150/m to £19.70 a month.

Now admittedly I lived on a well dodge estate, but interestingly my employment status shifting from ‘unemployed owing to disability’ to ‘company director/confectioner’ was worth £15 a month in and of itself.

It’s loving voodoo is what it is.

It's not really that much voodoo. At least in the company I worked out basically every question you ask has a weighted percentage attached to it that is applied to a base premium worked out through some admittedly voodoo ways. Unemployment might be 200%, company director may be 50% so at the end you get your annual premium. One of my jobs was figuring out the maximum/minimum premium which was always good fun to figure out the worst place to live (Birmingham, it's always Birmingham) was.

OwlFancier posted:

It's systematized profiling and if they don't do it based on race it's only because it might be illegal.

No race or gender, but age is fine! Also they totally still have all the tables in case the government decides it's fine to charge men more again!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

stev posted:

Insurers will never make their ratings transparent. They're terrified that doing so will cause every customer to game the system and pay next to nothing (which they would and should do, obviously).

There's not really a lot of room for you to game the system (outside of fraud). You can't exactly change where you live. That being said, when I worked in customer service we would try and lower the premiums - the big one (and I'm not sure if this is true) is to put your mileage at 4,000 per year rather than 3,000. This seems paradoxical (surely if you drive less you're less of a risk) but a year or so before someone somewhere had said "put it at 3,000 it'll be cheaper!" so loads of people did and then... had accidents. So the underwriters saw this and said, clearly, if you're driving 3,000 miles you're more a risk and put that above 4,000. Mileage is one of the few areas you can game.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

To be fair the other fields are Area, Neighbourhood and Crime, so it looks like they're using it to build an overall picture. Overall my personal profile is actually pretty good, but I did get stung in a few other areas. For reference I'm a male in my early thirties living in the South East insuring a 3 year old BMW 320i with a 7 year no claims bonus.

Fuel and transmission - 5/12 - Apparently automatic petrols are a higher risk.
Tracker - 0/4 - No tracker.
Value & time driven - 2/47 - My vehicle is classed as low value so is a higher risk (what are they comparing this to, a Porsche 911?).
Vehicle age & time driven - 20/38 - I've had it for over 2.5 years without crashing it, so this one will improve year on year.
Number of drivers - 4/17 - Its just me on the policy. My partner hates driving and historically has declined to be placed on my insurance.
Marital status - 2/4 - Co-habiting reduces my risk somewhat. Presumably married brings that to 3/4. So what must you do to get a 4/4 I wonder?

I don't even use it nearly as much as I used to. I've got a company van so it sits at home throughout most of the week.

Automatics are a higher risk because they don't have a clutch break so people end up driving into walls.

Sometimes it's worth just shoving your partner on the policy even if they don't want to drive it if it brings the price down!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

OwlFancier posted:

My mother did this and I still don't understand how, having never driven an automatic. The first ancient shitbox I drove definitely had the clutch break when I was halfway up a hill though and it certainly arrested any forward motion of the vehicle permanently.

My fiance's dad has an automatic and I had to move it off their driveway a year ago and it genuinely took me 5 minutes to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Z the IVth posted:

I had an argument with one of my insurers about what counted as a "mod". Do factory fitted options cost if they were selected at time of purchase? (I know, I bought my car new :guillotine:). They seemed to imply that any option apart from 4 wheels, the engine, body and seats were considered mods and needed declaration.

Depending on who you speak to you might just be chatting to a 17 year old out of college who doesn't even know how to drive, or someone who's like 3 companies separated from the underwriters.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

TACD posted:

Last time we looked up car insurance I was very surprised that fully comprehensive was often cheaper than third party, presumably because of a similar paradoxical situation.

Yep, I used to work for a company that dealt with a lot of elderly customers and they were insistent they wanted TPFT cover for 1,000 miles, despite me telling them repeatedly that fully comp @ 4000 would be cheaper for more cover.

Don't get me started on home insurance. Christ that's a nightmare.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

When I was a wee boy we were on a family holiday to Tenerife and I left the bag containing our game boys and games in a taxi that immediately hosed off. After we got home my dad submitted an insurance claim and told us to lie about what we had so we ended up with two brand new game boy colours and loads of games we didn't have.

I've never quite recovered from that blatant fraud.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Guavanaut posted:

Spain will be claiming that back in the post Brexit negotiations.

2x Game Boy Color
3x Pokemons
1x Gibraltar

I think this was pre-pokemon, but I definitely got Wario Land 3 out of the deal.

stev posted:

Lmao if you didn't have the Gameboy torch attachment that plugged into the headphone port and lit the screen.

Oh I absolutely had the torch/magnifying glass attachment thing so I could play until the early hours of the morning.

Camrath posted:

Sometimes it’s a case of not actually realising how much of value one owns.

Yeah and I think this was actually the source of the fraud. Once you total up the devices when purchased (I think they were second hand but I imagine we pretended they were new), the games, accessories etc. it comes to more than you think, and the insurance company (if I recall correctly) were just like "make a list up to that value".

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean yeah but I was talking about the made up version they make for themselves that they're somehow moral and decent people who are beyond racism, sexism and homophobia.

He's not actively bringing back Section 28 and that is the lowest of low bars for a liberal Tory.

No don't ask about his attitudes or policies towards trans people.

No don't ask about his attitudes or policies towards ethnic minorities.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Mebh posted:

I can't decide if the school meals thing is malice with the general feeling from conservatives thinking things like:

"So they want something for free do they? We'll see how they like THIS free lunch then, loving scroungers" which my dad, a self professed 'Old Tory' would do. Undeserving poor BS mentality etc. etc.

Or if it is the logical conclusion of min/max capitalism where my dad ALSO used to spout things like "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!" which leads to measuring out 2p's worth of pasta and cutting a pepper in half because "A penny saved is a penny earned" or some poo poo.

It's unregulated capitalism. The government gave the contract to someone for £x money, that company worked out if they spent £y on each box they'd get £z profit, and they've done everything they can to maximise z. The government didn't care what was going in those boxes until someone shouted about it and now they are Very Concerned.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

crepeface posted:

do you think it cost them less to figure out how much carrot to put into each box or wrap an onion quarter instead of just putting a whole carrot and onion in there

I imagine they just have a big spreadsheet with the cost of each item and a profit margin at the end. You could probably knock it out in an afternoon and go off fox hunting or whatever it is business owners do.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Marcus Rashford - fresh from playing in a professional top flight football game last night, and preparing for the biggest game of the season on Sunday - has just had a conversation with the Prime Minister and got him to commit to a review of the boxes.

The Leader of the Opposition has sent a tweet.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't know how anyone can say Starmer is making Labour electable again when you look at the polls but then I'm not the sort of person who posts comments on the Guardian website.

Having had a running argument with some people yesterday about this, being 4 points behind the Tories is actually good you see because under Corbyn...

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Am I crazy or has that story been around for nearly 5 years, and/or the guy posted here.

I definitely remember it when bitcoin first "exploded".

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The more I hear about Biden banging on about bipartisanship the more I'm convinced he has dementia because surely someone who was VP during Obama's two terms can remember exactly how bipartisan the Republican Party is. Why are centrists so loving horny for compromise?

I appreciate this is dangerously close to saying liberals are competent, but Biden won a close election, he has a razor thin margin in the Senate (which can be broken by one or two Democrats who are effectively Republicans), and just saw off an insurrection which has largely demonised the far right of the Republican party (at least in terms of the liberal media etc.). Biden is not in any way left wing, but it seems like he wants to do some good stuff, and immediately putting his middle finger up to the Republicans both in Congress and in the general public would arguably put him right where Obama was at the start of his term - facing off against a hostile opposition that will do everything in it's power to delay and distract from his policies.

We of course don't know how this will play out. There is a 50/50 chance that Biden gets everything he wants done, or it gets watered down by pandering to the right. What Biden has going for him that Obama didn't was a friendly face (to the Republicans) - he's known most of the big players for years - so it seems like he's trying to exploit that.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Gort posted:

This line is dumb because the Republicans will be a hostile opposition that will do everything in their power to delay and obstruct positive change regardless of the actions of Joe Biden.

Delaying and obstructing your own agenda on the off-chance that this time the Republican's won't do it for you is pointlessly self-defeating, and gives the appearance like you didn't have any positive change in mind to start with and are just looking for excuses.

I'm trying to be careful how I phrase these comments because I don't want it to sound like I'm defending everything that Biden is doing.

Republicans probably will be obstructionist, petty, assholes. That is in their very nature. However, I can certainly see a scenario where Biden plays on his long-standing friendships with people like McConnell - who is now nominally out of power - to limit this. Will it mean that the bills get watered down? Sure, that's what liberalism does. But it might mean a bit of good stuff sneaks through as well.

The alternative is to tell them to gently caress off and do what you want to do. Unfortunately, the Democratic party is full of decorum loving liberals who refuse to do things like get rid of the filibuster. That means you get four years of nothing much while people like Manchin vote against progressive reforms.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Voted Lib Dem in '10 but in fairness I lived in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal so thought I had won.

Yeah...

edit: oh yeah it was '10 time has no meaning any more

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 21, 2021

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

a secret policeman (they wear a particular kind of leather jacket with knitted cuffs so you can tell)

This doesn't sound very secret.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I don't get is why modern teenagers still seem to think it makes them look big to smoke cigs when every adult I know who smokes wishes they didn't. When the schools were open, there were great gangs of them under the nearby underpass puffing away, not even vaping, and there's usually a gaggle of them round the entrance to Home Bargains puffing away.

Smoking (and alcohol) remains that thing that when you are under 18 it is a Bad Thing and everyone tells you Don't Do This, but it's relatively easily accessible and once you have it there's very little consequences to get caught (you don't get arrested or fined for doing), so it's a fairly easy bit of teenage rebellion. It's not necessarily the "cool thing" to do anymore because we've pretty much banned celebrating smoking, but it's still there as an accessible vice.

The problem of course is that if you start young you get addicted and carry it on to your later life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

We've been playing some games online with my fiance's 14 and 15 year old cousins (and their friends) I can tell you that they are exactly as edgy and poo poo as my friends and I were in the 00s. They're definitely more accepting of LGBTQ+ issues but calling each other gay etc. is still sadly too common.