Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Happy, y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What POSSIBLE loving justification is there for NHSE providing advice that is directly loving contradictory to the usage instructions on the product?!

(also is there a page missing in that letter?)

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 2, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly, if I was them, I'd have a very difficult time not just... ignoring the VAT.

Like... how the gently caress does the UK propose to enforce it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The description of things getting more outlined and told rather than shown fits that so well. Pratchett's process was always EXTREMELY iterative and involved a LOT of self editing, and that's what he lost the ability to do when he lost the ability to both read and type himself.

Id nevertheless recommend the Tiffany Aching series even in light of that, if you want a sense of closure. It gave a good one, for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

crazyvanman posted:

I'm a bit out of the loop for the last few pages, so apologies if this has already been posted, but in my local area many primary schools will not be opening tomorrow. Unions have advised that under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act it is unsafe so staff have refused to go in. Secondary situation to be reviewed later in the week. Is this widespread?

Let's loving hope so.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TACD posted:

This sounds like a good description of ‘electability’

PM in waiting.

I.e. not actually DOING anything, just patiently waiting his turn.

E: 40 is roughly the percentage of the british electorate qwhich will apparently always vote for their own pain.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 5, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

crazyvanman posted:

So right with the last part in brackets. I stayed up too late watching various livestreams from around the US last night. Here's a fun summary of what I caught from the crowd outside the Governor's house in Olympia, WA:
- A pale, ginger young edgelord with a gun and a knife, openly stating that he was a fascist. He was hurling anti-Semitic and other racist abuse at other protesters, whose response was not - 'what the gently caress, it's an armed fascist' but: 'You're just a democrat plant, get out of here'
- A Fox News reporter got accused of broadcasting 'fake news' and punched the guy in the face
- A lone, teen/early 20s antifascist punk showed up to confront the several hundred remaining racists

Also, in Salt Lake City, a lone female protester showed up with a 'Trump lost, go home' sort of sign. Some Proud Boys wanted to go and 'talk' to her but she was protected by Hawaiian shirt-wearing, gun-holding boogaloo boys.

I'm not saying that the UK is all fine and dandy, but poo poo can you imagine if pretty much any of the above was going on here?

We don't have to imagine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Build the thatcher statue on top of the churchill cube.

the put it in its own cube just in case the ANTEEFASS have their way with it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If only it were only them who perish as a result of this hideous idiocy.

Hidiocy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Again: a decent chunk of the rioters ARE cops, so it's highly unlikely the cops are going to come down heavily on them, OR that they will subsequently face consequences from law enforcement, since it would be them imposing consequences on themselves.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of want to see how crazy glinner is going over losing his 2nd hate speech platform.

sorry, you can't, he doesn't have any platforms any more

and nothing of value was lost

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This is a pretty telling comparison i think: https://twitter.com/rbenson73/status/1348746484636934145

Like, this is what a profit-making supermarket fits in a food parcel...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

I can't tell if it's gaining traction because people care about poor kids or if nobody gives a gently caress about the kids they just don't like to see their taxes spent so nakedly poorly.

it's probably because unlike the other grifts this one is easily visible on youtwitface.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Blueshirt posted:

Forgive my idiocy - when there's a bunch of - with no corresponding +, does that mean people have changed voting intention to "eh, gently caress 'em all I'm not voting" or something?

Either they moved to a party not listed, or (IMO) more likely, all the apparent movement is margin-for error and rounding errors and the like. Individual polls make comparatively little difference, especially this far out from an election, trending data is more important.

For a given value of important, anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TACD posted:

I honestly was having trouble believing anybody would go to the trouble of spending time / money to chop up the veg but

The loving catering 3-pack of biscuits is what gets me. You can very clearly tell that this is a office and university type catering company not a company that works with families.

Those 3-packs of biscuits were in every loving meeting and training I went to when I worked for the University.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

They put them on the tea and coffee tray of Novatels and Travelodges and similar too.

Lol what kind of posh poo poo chain hotels are you going to where they give you free biscuits?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I pretty much agree with "the cruelty is the point" in that I see it as largely about reinforcing power relationships.

Imagine some 18th century nobleman riding out from his grand house in his luxury carriage in the morning. Clustered around his gate are a bunch of destitute people who cringeingly scuttle after him with their hands out, begging for alms. The nobleman condescendingly tosses them a few coins, then indicates to his coachman to drive on. Now, if he's giving them money at all, why not just quietly send a servant around to hand it out? Why oblige them to chase after him, begging? Because it reinforces the power relationship: he has the money and security and if they want anything at all, they'd better prostrate themselves for it.

These meticulously penny-pinching food packs operate in the same way. As people have pointed out, simply giving people the £30 would be a far better way of getting food to people, if that was actually the primary purpose. Contemptuously tossing the poor these food scraps sends a crystal clear message: "You're trash, this is all you deserve and you're lucky to be getting anything at all." Like a lot of stuff that goes on, at bottom, it's about reinforcing the social hierarchy.

I think it needs explicitly mentioning, in the context of 'the cruelty is the point' that the primary stated purpose, and the point, are not always (and indeed, are rarely) the same thing.

Like, the primary stated purpose of these food parcels is to feed people. But that's not the point. If the point was the same as the primary stated purpose, there are infinitely better ways to do it.

But equally, in this case specifically, I'm not sure the cruelty IS the point. Because I think the profit is the point. The cruelty is just a convenient (for them) by-product.

Because, if the cruelty was the point, you could make the same food packages - just for less money. These food packages cost a fiver, and the government could trivially make the same lovely food packages for a fiver.

But they don't, they pay a private company owned by one of their mates to do it, and make a stupid profit in the process.

The cruelty isn't the point, the theft of the profit is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wachter posted:

But the Tories do need the cruelty because it's the political justification. Tories can't run on a platform of handing out money to the elite cadre of their mates, but they can run on a platform of punishing the perceived enemies of their infinitely spiteful base.

We're four years out from an election. They're not running on anything, they can just give ridiculously large contracts to their mates.

The profit is the point.

Just like it was with the PPE contracts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

Amusingly* Wakefield is back in action on COVID to reverse over his plausibility in case it wasn't already fully dead.

https://mobile.twitter.com/skepticalraptor/status/1349507545057161216

* not that amusing actually

Jesus loving christ can the "journalists" (feels like the wrong word, but it's the closest I've got) please stop talking to moronic grifters who were drummed out of the profession in disgrace longer ago than most of them have been working?!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ah yes, noted labour politican, margaret thatcher.

My loving lord these people are awful

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is... this quote accurate?

E: I thought it was Starmer.

And the fact that I thought it was is telling in itself.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Damp, drizzly, and mostly stuck inside?

Seems about right.

Guavanaut posted:

the Daily Mail getting Jörg Sprave's channel pulled and his home raided just to sell papers warranted barely any pushback

Wait what slingshot channel guy?

Or to put it another way, youtubers' union guy?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 19, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think I'm at all alone in saying this, but really fear of the virus itself is only a very small part of the trauma of this pandemic. Every death is a tragedy for those impacted and all that, but I know I'm not really very likely to be one of those as a 31 year old (though it is possible). What is really getting to me is the way it has exposed our whole country for the selfish, stupid, lazily arrogant and entitled place we've always known it to be, deep down. Not just the usual suspects either. It's the government mismanagement (who could have guessed putting a load of Eton chancers in charge of a country might lead to you being led by a bunch of lazy grifters?), it's the media silence/spin, it's the well to do blue tick liberals doing their performative outrage despite their direct complicity, yes it's dumbasses refusing to wear masks. I've never liked Britain, and there's always been that current of bile under the surface that I've been aware of, but I always kind of believed in this alienated but generally well-meaning majority. I'm not sure I do now. The mask has been ripped off and I've seen how the sausages are made and it's worse than I ever thought. I've lost more respect for this country in the last year than I thought possible, and that really is a hell of a bar. That's going to be the big thing. When all is said and done I will not be able to see people in the same way again. I hope that I'm not the only one, and this might radicalise people somewhat, but lol :britain:

Granted, it doesn't help that it's cold and dark all the time, I'm unemployed, I can't go hang out and decompress with friends, and I'm drinking way too much to compensate, but this year has probably been the most difficult for me in a long time, and certainly the first where I've genuinely worried my mental health resilience might be reaching its limit. I'm holding it together, but it is hard sometimes.

Anecdotal for sure, but this is a huge thing for me.

Between Britain loving everything up as much as possible due to not ever wanting to actually show any leadership whilst still and at the same time funneling tremendous wodges of money to their mates, and the only slight chance we had to stop it being burned by the world's most feckless client media, and the US undergoing the world's stupidest fascist coup (currently paused, sure, but I'm very dubious the Dems have the will, let alone the means, to make enough change to stop it restarting in 4 years), I'm really really struggling for motivation to do like... data entry.

Or really anything except instant gratification escapism like vidja and D&D.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

I see we're breaking records again with 1200 dead a day on average for the last seven days

I honestly didn't think we'd exceed the death rate of the initial outbreak in the second wave, but here we are

Imagine if we'd had a proper lockdown in sept/oct, how different it might have been.

Like, you can see a tiny drop in the numbers then.

God how has this been handled in literally the worst way possible whilst still appearing to actually make the attempt?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sebzilla posted:

2010, 2015, EU Referendum, 2017, 2019

I think I did... '05 and '08 as well.

05: Lib Dem, loss locally and nationally
08: Lib Dem, win over tory locally, loss nationally
10: Lib Dem... well, history will judge me
12: AV ref, loss
15: Labour, loss nationally, win locally
Eu ref: loss
17: Labour, loss nationally, win locally
19, labour, loss nationally, win locally

I was a dumb, dumb student.

But to be fair, there realy WASN'T much to choose between Blair and Clegg. Between Milliband and Clegg a little more, but I was very poorly informed then.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Between Milliband and Clegg would be 2015, 2010 was between Brown and Clegg immediately after Brown's cabinet had just made complete clowns of themselves.

Which one was Cleggmania? That was '15?

Maybe I didn't do '05 then, thoguh I was just old enough.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Then yeah, right the first time.

My loving lord it's been a long decade and a half. 10 might actually have been the Lib Dem win locally, now I think about it. That was by either two or three figures of votes. I was so pleased to have unseated the tory, but apparently he was an OK local MP and a mostly ignored backbencher and the lib dem was poo poo, but it was my parents' constituency in Hampshire, so i don't care.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

notaspy posted:

Contrapoints once had a video called "what is gender" which she has now made private.

Does anyone know of another video like it? I was going to share it with friend but haven't got a clue where to find a video like it

IIRC this one is a pretty good primer on 'what the gently caress, gender' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N35D1jko6wA from a relatively little known enby youtuber.

Philosophytube also has a couple of good ones, particularly 'transphobia in the UK' iirc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile in other news:

Apparently not only has Biden chucked out the bust of Churchill, he's installed one of Mexican American farm labor leader Cesar Chavez.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/cesar-chavez-bust-oval-office-trnd/index.html

Farage is frothing apparently.

Biden... good?!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Was... there not an election in '08?

That might eb what I'm getting confused about, I thought Brown won one in '08 after Blair resigned, then lost the next one.

I've never lived in a swing seat, apart from the one that turned out to be a lib/con swing seat that one time.

E: 129 years ago in 1892, JRR Tolkein was born.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Kelloggs Start

His name is Keith Armrest you bully.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TACD posted:

She’d do great on Just A Minute

Um on the 11th word and repetition on the 13th she'd be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

definitely high double figures who want precisely the kind of Brexit we're now getting.

There's high doubel figures who THOUGHT they did, but didn't understand what it meant.

I'd be stunned if there's double figures at all who both understood what it meant and still wanted it regardless.