Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yo. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Weasling Weasel posted:

Theres a lot of horrible things happening, but a super covid that murders children isn't something that has mutated yet.

Look, you can't just achieve that kind of thing without time and effort. Give us a year more of not locking down.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Our government isn't utterly terrible, it's that British people are uniquely unwilling to follow rules

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

It's not unique. Look at the yanks and their near riots in the street.
Were the quieter, "that doesn't apply to me" crowd, over the "dying is part of my god given rights!"

To be clear, my post was sarcasm.

I think that if - back in March or early on in the pandemic - the UK and US governments had both said, "Coronavirus is a huge deal and will cause thousands of deaths if we don't get ahead of it" and instituted a proper, month-long lockdown with places of work closed, schools closed, pubs closed, and shops closed except for the absolute essentials (which is a white-list, incidentally, if you're not on it you can't open), we'd not even be talking about coronavirus now.

I think people would've gone along with it as long as the rules were clear and enforceable, and the drastic nature of the rules would've meant they wouldn't have to be in place for long.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 4, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Trouble is, now there's a vaccine the rich and connected can get hold of, their personal incentive to control the virus just vanished.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jose posted:

Lol the judge specifically cited Jeffrey Epstein

I was just about to say that case seemed particularly relevant.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

There's also that blind spot people with lots of qualifications can develop where because they spend their time being an expert in their field and acting like it, they develop the mindset that they're always the expert in the room, regardless of whether it's their field of expertise or not.

Jose posted:

is bitcoin actually as environmentally bad as claimed

I guess it depends on the severity of the claim in question, but the whole thing is based on people using computer time to do nothing of actual use to humanity. If you switched those computers off or refrained from buying bitcoin mining rigs, it'd be an environmental positive for no negative.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TACD posted:

Oh I absolutely do, I just also want to have all my work and chores done

The trouble with getting all your work done is it makes people give you more work to do since you can obviously handle it. Which is fine if you're paid by the job, but most people aren't...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

- a head of performance (assets not people) producing number-based reports for our national organisation who did not know how to calculate a % (I don't mean anything fancy like a gross profit margin, just a straight up 'what is 15% of 100' type thing - and did you know that a lot of people when asked that question will after some pondering say 6.67? Explain that! (I can but it took me quite some time to figure out why so many people got the same wrong answer).

Well, I'm stumped. Why did people think 15% of a hundred is 6.67?

Edit: Oh naturally it comes to me the moment I post, they divided 100 by 15

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The current one is also a banker

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So, more civilian dead than World War 2, then

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

crispix posted:

is everyone excited for clap-clap time??????????????

no

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'll have yours you fuckers

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

always have been

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm hopeful that it'll drive a wedge between the fascist rioters and the cops (where those are different people) given that there have now been both rioter and cop deaths as a result of that event

The capitol police chief's likely to have to resign over it too, which should hopefully influence their replacement

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What is it about drinks that turns people into mystical snobs

Yes, I will pay £5,000 for a bottle of wine that's near-indistinguishable from a six-quidder from the supermarket, and build me a coffee machine the size of a dustbin in my kitchen while you're at it please

How's my Juicero Kickstarter going, oh no

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I like coffee but not enough to go out and work on the front lines of a plague.

Is it a binary choice between those two things?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

skidpan training

dare I even ask what this is

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Essentially adverse weather advanced driving lessons

Huh. I'd have thought those would mostly amount to, "Get the right tyres and drive extremely slowly if you absolutely must drive at all"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Am I still OK to laugh at US Senator Mike Crapo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

I really value having a bank account that stops me from being overdrawn because I have no ability to not end up overdrawn. Which basically means the bank account I had as a kid which is ATM only is a real pain in the rear end but ultimately worth not having any mod cons to avoid running up obscene interest levels.

Feels like there must be a place out there that'll let you Internet bank as well as not go overdrawn. Having to physically go to the ATM seems positively American in its backwardness.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

kecske posted:

I have a generic HSBC current account with no overdraft facility on it, they asked how much overdraft I wanted when I opened it. I assume its the same elsewhere

Get out of HSBC, they constantly top lists of unethical banks. Go to somewhere like NationWide.

Edit: And tell 75 other HSBC customers to do the same

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

therattle posted:

I am with Coop for some legacy things as they used to be one of the few ethical-ish banks around, but moved to Triodos a few years ago. I can recommend them.

According to this they are still top

https://www.new-money.co.uk/nm-blog/top-5-ethical-bank-accounts-for-2020/

Aye, I'd have gone with the Co-op bank too but they wouldn't take me

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Private Speech posted:

On a positive note it looks like cases are either starting to stagnate or perhaps even possibly drop a bit in the last few days:

Obviously there's the weekend effect but at least it's not soaring quite as much anymore.

That's the number of new cases. The number of current cases looks like this:

and the number of dead looks like this:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

This doesn't seem to be embedding for me

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The number of deaths per day from coronavirus is now at an all-time high, even more than there were in March:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yep, it's the cycle of Tory government.

Give a huge amount of public money to one of your mates for a pitiful amount of work, they give a kickback to the Conservative party. Repeat until country collapses, then retire overseas.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

85,000 excess deaths last year plus a thousand dead a day this year would come to about 100,000 total

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

peanut- posted:

How much value does the 48-hour working week thing have in practice? Every employment contract I've ever signed just has an opt-out clause in it.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well. Either your job never needed to exceed a 48-hour working week so it never came up, or they made you choose between signing an opt-out or not getting the job. Allowing an opt-out just made it into a box-ticking exercise.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

crispix posted:

It was very predictable though that the tories would immediately start an assault on workers' rights as their first priority after brext, beaten only by nazgul patel putting out the idea of bringing back hanging, such is her thirst for blood :psyduck:

Yeah, this was always the huge flaw in the Lexit idea - support for Brexit was driven by nationalism and xenophobia, so if you got Brexit you were getting a government far to the right of the EU to go with it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Prolly managed to throw out some Grenfell evidence at the same time though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is when one can start getting all bitter and twisted. I worked bloody hard (to the point of becoming very ill when I quit my last full-time job in 2007) for my dosh (my £60pw is from my contributory work pension).

A relative of mine gets £100pw disability - more than another friend of mine with severe MS who needs a mobility devices etc - she goes running / cycling daily, lives in a big house with her wealthy husband, nothing wrong with her except she thinks every employer is stupid and every job she ever had refused to do as she is asked and if the employer then tries to reprimand her, has a big meltdown and is 'let go'.

Sometimes I let the bitter twisted inner-tory feelings well up and then I remind myself that she is absolutely an outlier and not typical.

Yeah, I'd also say that someone on £100 a week is absolutely not the person you should aim those feelings at first. Jeff Bezos could drop £100 in the street and he'd have made it back in the time it took him to pick it up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Jeff Bezos worked in McDonalds at one point and excelled at university, say what you want about him but he didn't get where he is by sleeping in till 1pm and jerking off to Coronation Street

I don't see how switching to Eastenders is going to change my fortunes

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I see we're breaking records again with 1200 dead a day on average for the last seven days

I honestly didn't think we'd exceed the death rate of the initial outbreak in the second wave, but here we are

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jose posted:

like to be fair to him starmer isn't in power and the president has way more power than a prime minister but i mean on basic stuff like trans rights and general human rights. Starmer has completely given up any attempt to try and make human rights important because he's chasing a racist vote that hate him regardless. its really bleak

I'd say it's tougher to hold good opinions while in power, since people expect you to act on them. Starmer could be all, "Human rights should be respected and more should be done to save people from dying of COVID" and not have to actually do anything about those issues, but he won't even make the empty statements because he's terrified of Rupert Murdoch.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

Biden is not in any way left wing, but it seems like he wants to do some good stuff, and immediately putting his middle finger up to the Republicans both in Congress and in the general public would arguably put him right where Obama was at the start of his term - facing off against a hostile opposition that will do everything in it's power to delay and distract from his policies.

This line is dumb because the Republicans will be a hostile opposition that will do everything in their power to delay and obstruct positive change regardless of the actions of Joe Biden.

Delaying and obstructing your own agenda on the off-chance that this time the Republican's won't do it for you is pointlessly self-defeating, and gives the appearance like you didn't have any positive change in mind to start with and are just looking for excuses.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

On the plus side, new cases are seriously falling now (though still high) and it looks like deaths are beginning to plateau. Fingers crossed we're past the peak of the second wave. Unless the government seriously manages to cock it up even more catastrophically than they already have, which I admit is a distinct possibility, I'm hoping the vaccination programme will prevent a third.

Agreed on the new cases (only 38,000 infected yesterday, awesome), but I dunno what death chart you're looking at

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

This one here. Deaths are still very high but aren't rising at anything like the same rate that they were, and case numbers for obvious reasons tend to be reflected in deaths 2-4weeks down the line.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

I am very much of the opinion that this big spike was almost certainly produced by people deciding to meet up over Christmas/New Year.

I am not a scientist but as I understand it the Worst Case Scenario with the strategy of spacing out the vaccine dosages is it giving the virus time to adapt, and then we have a resistant strain on our hands. I don't know how likely that is though.

That chart looks to be quite out of date. On the daily summary page on the same site they have data for the 21st of January (1290 deaths) but the chart only goes to the 16th of January (1058 deaths)

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 22, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Still, cases going down will by definition lead to deaths going down in the near future, so I'm not unduly worried.

You saying this worries me, since Boris is probably sat on a couch thinking, "Oh look, cases are going down, that means that deaths will go down soon, time to end the lockdown"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cyril Sneeer posted:

It might be partly trying to look cool or adult-like, but the kids I knew in my school years who smoked cigs got addicted to nicotine through smoking weed or hash.

Where is this utopia where weed's easier to get than cigarettes