Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mr Phillby posted:

Still reeling from Ronya's political analysis that the Tories put too much faith into their track and trace solution when they gave billions to their mates and then had the bar staff write your details down on a slip of paper.

Like I don't doubt they were hoping for the easy solution to pan out but I feel like if they really wanted it to succeed maybe they wouldn't have sabotaged their own efforts quite so efficiently.

I mean, they didn't put any faith in it, because the goal was never to get a working track and trace system - as in the outcome was not something they cared about, at all. All they cared about was funneling public money to the right people.

It's not that a complete failure doesn't shake their belief in the private sector, it's that getting an actual workable solution was just never even considered to be part of the goal. They can claim it's their ideology but it's just a complete shield for their kleptocracy. Most of them have no real ideology, and that's part of why they're so dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Shatner is also a TERF.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also if you read it, the headline says it would "wipe out" Tory majority and while that's technically true, they would still be the largest party by like 1 or 2 seats over Labour. Lol.

Good work Keith you prick.

E: Cat tax:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1345514396865490946?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 3, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jose posted:

lol i read an article the other day about a guy who pumped $1.4bn into bitcoin

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1346038379960537089?s=20

That dude is fine.

Always, always take "[x] crashed!!" or "[y] fell 5 points today, the biggest daily fall in [z] years!!!" with a truckload of salt, since usually it's that a stock, crypto or index has just reached an historic (or at least local) high and is just renormalising. That's exactly what's just happened with Bitcoin.

At the start of December it was ~$18000 and the "crash" from that tweet put it down from $34k to $28k.

Yes, some people will still have lost a lot of money but it's not a crash in any meaningful sense. It's massively up on the month and still higher than it's ever been before 2021.

(Note I do not have any BTC or any other crypto's, stocks etc. I just know that whenever you see an "OMG CATASTROPHE" graph like this it's some dickhead who's very selectively zoomed in on part of a graph.)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Haha this is great.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Convex posted:

He is a soft boiled egg in a person suit, the nervousness is just his inherent wobbling from having a liquid yolk

This immediately got me thinking of a song by Everything Everything called "No Reptiles" which has the line "No reptiles, just soft-boiled eggs in shirts and ties".... so I looked up what the lyrics mean, and it turns out it's basically exactly what you're talking about : It's actually kind of nice to think that there are reptiles controlling everything but in reality it's just these wobbly soft-boiled egg people.

I think the more general theme of the song is something lots in this thread will connect with:

quote:

It’s written as if I’m rejected from society just about to do something awful. I wrote that at a time when I was feeling quite separate from, even against, society as a whole. I was feeling quite hateful towards my own country and my own place in the world, and feeling like I didn’t really like Britain or what it stands for. I don’t necessarily feel like that all the time, but I do sometimes.

The song has this theme of fat pouring down the streets and clogging every hole – that’s how I was feeling about the general public, me included. We’re just this blobby, inactive, privileged, big, pale blob, and I wanted to use this metaphor of this massive fat-tsunami washing through the city streets and going into the gutters. That was how I felt; it was how I felt about a big do-nothing society that hadn’t changed. It all comes back to being fat really… it’s like one of the things that you just see; I’m kind of fat, and I don’t like that about myself.

A few of my friends have become conspiracy nuts in the past few years, and I flirted with that idea for a bit, but I realised that it’s really romantic to imagine a world run by reptiles with a super-evil plan masterminding eveything. It’s much scarier, and much more likely, that the people at the top are just fat, bald, old men, like soft-boiled eggs, that are just weak-willed, with no strong feelings (good or ill). They’re lily-livered and easily swayed and quivering and wobbling. To me, that’s a horrible thought, but it also makes me feel guilty: if I was at the top, would I be a weak-willed, quivering, chubby overlord?

In terms of the song’s darker stuff, with the line “I’m gonna kill a stranger”, there is also the follow up line: “So don’t you be a stranger…”, which obviously means don’t be a stranger, don’t leave me, don’t go away etc., and it that way it’s almost a cry for help. But then it also means ‘I won’t kill you… if you’re my friend’. It’s got this double-edged feeling throughout. Then the song changes and I’m likening myself to a fat child in a pushchair, sort of helpless and inactive and no use to anyone in the world that needs help. I’m just idle, and no one wants to be idle, but we find ourselves in that position living in this country. We’re passive, and we just get out our phones and move on. I wanted to say that in a sharp, insulting way to maybe make people snap out of that, to make them nervous and embarrassed. It’s not horrifying, but it’s a bit cruel, and I wanted to be cruel to people listening, and to myself. But then I’m saying “It’s alright…” so it’s again this weird accusatory-slash-helpful tone.

The song ends with me saying ‘just give me one night, one moment to feel like I’m on the right path’, pleading to just feel like I am helping the world, that I’m not useless. I think people have definitely connected to that and that sentiment of not wanting to continue as a negative or passive force in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RR8kEv-Y8

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

TheRat posted:

I gotta say, I didn't expect this to be the thread where wanting to preserve nature in the face of limitless global growth would be met with harsh hostility

What do you think green energy is for?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maugrim posted:

I find the overall downward trend in energy demand over the years interesting (notwithstanding the 2020 uptick). I wonder what the reason for that is.

I mean I'm guessing but more efficient lighting, appliances, better insulation in homes, and rising awareness of energy use... plus (again guessing a bit) we're likely exporting a decent amount of our energy use to China - as we've shifted away from manufacturing, and instead buying stuff in from overseas, energy use is going to go down here but up where stuff is actually made - same goes for pollution etc.

The appliances thing - not only on a like-for-like basis (e.g. a 2020 washing machine is likely going to use less energy and water than a 1970 one) but some newer technologies are just more efficient inherently - induction hobs are something like 90-95% efficient in terms of energy going to heat in the pan (on a gas or conventional electric hob much more heat is wasted going around the sides of the pan - I believe gas is around 50% efficient), LED/LCD TVs are more efficient than CRTs (though they have gotten much bigger and I'm not sure how that pans out - if e.g. a 65" LED is more efficient than a 40" or so CRT), and of course LED lighting uses about 1/7th the energy of incandescent.

Oh and a big one is that boilers have gotten a lot more efficient. A condensing gas boiler can be up to 98% efficient if you believe the manufacturers (though apparently 91% or so is more realistic and common) whereas older non-condensing ones were 70-80% efficient.

Also Smart Meters maybe?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1346047029609426947?s=20

Bet it won't stop the Tories.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My hot take on coffee is that coffee is good but caffeine is bad.

I accidentally went like 2-3 weeks without having any caffeine (wasn't working or going out anywhere and couldn't be arsed to use the machine) and then when I tried having a coffee it made me feel awful - just very unpleasantly wired and tense.

Also my sleep has improved massively and I just generally feel a lot less groggy through the day.

I listened to the Caffeine episode of "Say Why to Drugs" which is a really excellent podcast with Scroobius Pip and Dr. Suzy Gage where they talk about the appeal, affects, pros, cons of different kinds of drugs but not in a scalding way:

https://play.acast.com/s/saywhytodrugs/caffeine

Anyway she works as a drug researcher at a university and she said that at their department meetings they have two pots of coffee - normal and decaf, and anybody who's ever done any research into caffeine always has decaf. Effectively what caffeine does is not "wake you up" or whatever - it brings you out of withdrawal. That lovely tired feeling you get before having a coffee, and the feeling you get of suddenly being awake and feeling good - yeah, the awake and feeling good part is how you feel without caffeine at all, the lovely part is how you feel when in caffeine withdrawal.

As far as making coffee - we have a fancy bean-to-cup Delonghi machine and it's amazing - they're about £300 but we got ours as a wedding gift from my wife's well-off aunt and it's been a godsend. Really excellent coffee - you have to play around a bit with grind size, bean amount, amount of water, water temp (though you only have to do this once really and then you can usually just tweak one factor, usually amount of water, for different kinds of beans) but once you nail it you get really great tasting coffee with hardly any bitterness.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

Ash Crimson has repeatedly made it clear in the past that they are actually talking about the English voters, yes all of them, and no not the Scottish Tories/Brexit voters/whatever. People who are saying "what they actually mean is..." are forgetting a whole bunch of their posts.

This is true. Also I'm reasonably sure this is like the third or fourth time we've had a 10 page debate about Ash Crimson's posting, which tells you all you need to know.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Seems Biden has come out and said "we don't need austerity, we shouldn't be so concerned with the deficit, we need to invest" (parahphrased).

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1348031632666718210?s=20

Nice to see, though I'll believe it when it happens.

Comes hot on the heels of the IMF saying that austerity is not inevitable for accounting for coronavirus.

Of course, both of these things probably mean that the UK will go into ultra-mega-turbo austerity as soon as possible.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol that's random, Steve "Shagger" Norris, former Tory candidate for London Mayor, has just retweeted a tweet of mine from last week and I've literally no idea how he could have ever seen it.

Your tweet was a QT of the Venezuelan statement taking the piss out of the US for the coup attempt. He likely looked at that tweet, looked at the QTs from it and saw yours.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When I was renting a few years ago my housemate asked me to estimate how much stuff i had for the contents insurance. He wanted to go for £10k for all 3 people's stuff, until I pointed out that if you estimated £10 to replace each CD and £15 per DVD, i owned at least £20k without even getting started on my books and physical game collection.

Yeah as part of the process of moving to Canada you have to provide a list of all of the things you'll be importing as your private belongings plus their value. So what that means is I literally had to go through everything I owned and place a value on it - though you are allowed to group items together so "Bedding: £300" or "Books: £2000" or whatever is acceptable - you don't have to go through and list each book.

Anyway, was quite surprised to find out that all of the stuff I own added up to ~ £25k.

No really huge single items - just stuff like the telly, couple of PCs, guitar and amp, clothes, books, bedding, kitchen stuff, some (aluminium frame - so not too fancy) bikes, tools, etc. - surprising how quickly it all adds up. Also it only filled half of a 20ft container when packed up - though I did sell almost all of my furniture apart from some office chairs and a desk.

Pro tip though: If you move to Canada/America, *don't* sell all of your furniture... unless it's the difference between shipping a few boxes over and getting a container.

People/forums etc. were all like "Oh yeah furniture is really cheap over there, sell all your poo poo and buy new stuff in Canada!". Lies - really lovely furniture can be had for cheap - the quality of bed frames in particular that's considered to be the standard here is loving atrocious. I had a chunky solid oak bedroom set - bed and two nightstands, which i got from oakfurnitureland.co.uk for about £600 total (e: I think it was this one or one very similar: https://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/original-rustic-solid-oak-5ft-king-size-bed/1147.html - good bed) but for £600 over here, for just a bed frame, you get super lovely chipboard stuff and for a solid oak bed you're looking at something stupid like £1200 minimum.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Private Speech posted:

LMBO you are right unless my math is wrong that's £200 per laptop (from the article in the tweet):

Looks to be about the price of a low-end chromebook (e.g. Dell Chromebook 3189).

Computacenter is owned by Sir Peter Ogden - he's worth something like £400m and has given over £25m to charity - largely to a trust he setup to teach children physics (he's a physics grad) but also to others I believe.

As far as I can tell, he's *not* a Tory donor. That he's charitable and not apparently a Tory donor there might be a chance of them providing half-decent value for money but we'll see.

I know a bit about him because I looked him up when we made a conservatory for him at my old workplace. He lives on Jethou, a private island out by Guernsey. According to those who met him he was a "nice bloke" but people say the same of Boris so...

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BTW Jack Monroe says they got "politically lost" for a bit. Might mean they acknowledge that it was a mistake ever supporting the likes of Soubry, though they stop short of actually saying that.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1349335427170390017?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Private Speech posted:

Here's a response to that article with a bit more detail:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Kiteley/status/1349252363111038976

Ah theeeeere it is.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I still have Postbot3000, but the idea of downloading a corpus of Graun articles to feed it with makes me feel like I need a whole other computer connected to another network just to avoid cross-contamination.

Also you'd have to spend a load of money cause all the poo poo he writes is behind loving Murdoch paywalls.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They were talking about making a virtual Graun columnist though. I can generate a Kieth corpus easily enough by just hooking a white noise generator into it.

Oh, yeah, I misread.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Red Oktober posted:

Drops a piece of paper with the words 'bypass paywalls' and a link to the google chrome store on it while whistling.

I'm sure bypassing them is trivial but paywalls act as a handy reminder that I don't actually need or want to read any of that shite anyway.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean on the scale of tory donations thats probably the sort of donation which gets you a lunch with Michael Howard.

The staggering thing is about all this corruption that goes on with Tories giving massive contracts to their mates is how loving *cheap* it is.

Yes £100k is a lot of money but like, a US election costs over a billion dollars for each side. Bloomberg alone donated $150m in 2019-20, but you get the sense that in the UK donating £100k would get you noticed by the higher-ups in the Tory party for sure and probably even get you lunch with a cabinet minister, with a lucrative contract to follow.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah previous thread concensus has been that the FT is closest to politically neutral of the major publications (which also makes it the closest to being left-wing, ironically) and actually has good, factual reporting.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I think Forums are a distinct thing from what most would consider "social media". I think the key is that with social media you can just make a post apropos of nothing, thrown out into the void with no prior context required. With forums, every post is under a thread or a topic - and although threads can get wildly derailed and the topics can be extremely broad, and several different conversations can be going on at once... posts generally follow each other in a conversational fashion.

I think also really key part of social media is about how posts get shared, amplified, etc. and the main method of content subscription is by choosing to see everything that a particular person (or corporate entity) posts, rather than following a thread or topic where anybody can post (although twitter etc. do have "topics" and "lists" you can follow they are definitely not the primary method and most people don't even use them) - and that's what makes it primarily "social" media - it's a model similar to choosing somebody as a friend - you choose to have them around you, and you listen to all of the things that they might say to you, even though you might not be interested in some of it.

So like, take somebody in this thread, like Guavanaut. Guav's cool. They make good posts on the topic of the UK and British politics which I like seeing. Now Guav may make good posts on other subjects too, but let's say that they post in, oh I don't know, ADTRW a whole load about anime. Now that's fine of course and I'm not judging anybody's interests, but I would not be interested in that because I'm not into anime. Now the difference is, on social media, if I wanted to see Guav's content on my feed, I'd be constantly seeing both his UK politics related posts and all of his anime posts, and if they were making tons and tons of anime posts I'd probably unfollow because it's not something I want to talk or read about. In doing so I would necessarily also lose his politics posts from my feed, even though I *am* interested in those. So for that reason I think forums are valuable in a different way which will never be usurped by the socials.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I like the dude talking about Scottish shortbread "It is neither salty nor sweet, it is tasteless... still I would rate it 7/10".

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mebh posted:

Replacing council tax with a home owners tax is a bloody good idea.

They have that in Spain and everyone who owns a home hates it of course.

Make it a land owner's tax which is progressive. If you own enough land for an ordinary family home then it's the same as council tax would be, then for each additional plot's worth it goes up.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Desiderata posted:

That's perfect Keir, you climb that mountain of conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ&t=92s

Why is he climbing a mountain?

He wants to make love to the mountain.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/JoMicheII/status/1351277201489088512?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CoolCab posted:

we'd be in much better shape if they'd put cops on the loving doors to pass out good masks and stop antimaskers but lol

They actually did that here in Canada. Well, not cops, but store security were stopping people getting in without a mask when the mask rules first came in - now it's usually just somebody who would otherwise be on checkouts at the door, sanitising trolleys and directing you to use hand sanitiser before you enter. I don't think I've seen a single person in a supermarket without a mask (though I have seen a few with their nose exposed).

There are a whole load of other stupid ways they're not handling things correctly here (like massive amounts of people still going to work who don't need to) but they do seem to have at least got that one thing right.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kingturnip posted:

Isn't Harlow where they turned those old office buildings into some of the grimmest 'new' homes in a developed country, by basically just slapping down some interior walls and calling them flats?

Surely there's not only one place this has happened? We supplied some windows to one of those in London but I can't remember exactly where it was.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OK TBF the ones we did windows for were not as grim as that. It was at least an office building in a decent location and the places had more than one room but they were still cramped as poo poo and hastily thrown up.

It's really doing my head in that I can't remember where they were or what the builders were called.

Though on the plus side, having just looked through a list of the areas of London on Wikipedia, I have discovered there are places called "Freezywater", "Eel Pie Island" and "Pratt's Bottom", so that's good.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Kelloggs Start were absolute top tier cereal. They were marketed as a healthy cereal 'cause they were made with whole grain but they were coated in a sugary shell, but not so thick etc. as to make them too sickly sweet.

Sadly they discontinued them in 2018, which probably makes sense because nobody I ever mentioned them too had tried them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/BenJolly9/status/1352404543380795392?s=20

Lol.

You may at first think "Ah he's cherry-picked those" but if you look, literally every single person on the call with Keith looks massively unimpressed.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I remember seeing a thing that said if there are two people, one of which has covid and the other doesn't:

If only the person without covid wears a mask, they have a 30% lower chance of catching it.

If only the person with covid wears a mask, the person without has a 95% lower chance of catching it.

If both wear masks, the person without covid has a 98.5% lower chance of catching it.

So in any case you're much better off wearing a mask, but by far the greatest protection for you is if other people are wearing masks... and even if you're in a space where everybody is wearing masks, you're still best off trying to stay the hell away from people and spend as little time there as possible.

E: Yeah it was from here I think: https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemorgan/2020/06/28/5-ways-to-deal-with-customers-who-dont-want-to-wear-masks/?sh=786589df8a75

Also I've seen new guidance after the new variant has come out that says that double-masking is better and more necessary now and you should definitely definitely spend as little time in the presence of others as possible - a 5 minute supermarket trip is much better than a 30-minute one.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 22, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

One of my mates is likely to be allergic to cocaine... either that or his dad has played a blinder.

His dad said that they gave it to him once as an anaesthetic in hospital (which, yes, is a thing they can do) and he had a really bad reaction, and "If you do any drugs, please absolutely do not do coke because you're quite likely to die".

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

Will probably have to try heroin once when I'm on my death bed because I hear it feels loving brilliant, mind.

I have not had heroin but I have had codeine (just as a regular OTC painkiller, which I was using as such - not recreationally) which is the mildest opiate and it is just lovely. I have to be mindful of not taking too many and getting addicted cause I can see how that would be very easy.

The best way I can describe it is that when it kicks in it feels like sinking into the comfiest chair you've ever known, after you've spent all day hiking in the pissing rain and cold. Just a huge feeling of relaxation, calmness, and aches and pains fading away - including ones you didn't even realise you had. There's a mild "floaty" sensation too which comes with the relaxation. Also it makes you feel a bit drowsy. I don't know if codeine has these effects on everybody or if I'm just particularly susceptible to it.

I've just been reading a bit and it seems like herion is mostly the same but amped up, and also (often?) comes with a euphoria which I've not really experienced with codeine.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Next time you're out in frosty weather, see how far the clouds of condensing breathe (carrying lung gunk) are around non-mask wearers compared with mask wearers.

https://twitter.com/TheFirstFlavian/status/1288421466359377921?s=20

Vs:

(Also lol that the guy vaping with the mask and saying "look masks don't do anything!" is actually perfectly demonstrating just how much masks do.)

E: Also there's a youtube vid which shows it well here (in the first minute):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27HRClMf2U

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 23, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac so these are off for us. Have you tried Beyond Burgers? They’re really amazing. Better than most actual beef burgers and they thoroughly sate the meat craving. And gluten free!

Agree with this, they are very good. I'm a lifelong vegetarian so I can't make a direct comparison but the first time we had them my wife was absolutely convinced we must've been given actual beef by mistake.

She said "They're a very convincing imitation of the kind of low-quality burger that you get at a McDonalds" or something which is actually kind of an endorsement.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's weird isn't it?

I get that QCs are obviously going to be a fairly conservative set of people because of course, but I would have expected them to at least be the ruthlessly clever, naked class interest type with a bit of natural cunning and the self-awareness to know when to shut up and when to pick their battles. In short I did not expect them to be the kind of people to line up to spout the absolute steamiest takes on Twitter every day, get dunked on, and respond by impotently crying about it as if they weren't aware all caps racism or clear libel on a public forum might have consequences. But that's apparently a good number of them! I could always believe they were evil, but I am always surprised at the jaw dropping stupidity of people who by definition need to be pretty well educated and whose whole job is arguing convincingly and knowing the law.

QCs put me in the mind of Flowers for Algernon - particularly the bit where (and I'm spoilering this because it's a good book and you should read it) he gets his IQ enhanced so much he's basically the smartest person alive and realises that all of these people who are in "high up" positions are ultimately loving dumb except for very narrow specialisation in one field.

Also like, Ben Carson, a literal loving brain surgeon who says bizarre and stupid poo poo like:

quote:

My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain. Now all the archaeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain,

"Smart people" generally aren't that smart overall, and people really need to get that into their heads - just because a person is renowned for being good at one thing does not mean you should listen to them on anything else (and also often people who are renowned for one thing aren't even actually that good at that one thing they're supposed to be good at).

Like, I'm objectively a "smart person" - not a neuroscientist or a QC or anything (in fact I'm unemployed currently and I have no qualifications higher than GCSEs) but I took a Mensa test when I was a teenager because a friend was doing it and I thought it would be fun, and I could've joined Mensa, but I didn't. Difference is I'm smart enough to know that IQ doesn't mean poo poo really, and I act loving stupid in a lot of ways and do a lot of stupid things, and I know that I'm ignorant in a lot of ways. As soon as you give somebody a title like QC you're immediately encouraging them to buy into their own hype and believe that they're an important person or a "thought leader" or that they're somehow unique in their insight, intellect, analytical skills etc. when in reality there are people working as binmen, builders, in supermarkets, and in other so-called "low status" jobs who are just as smart as they are but didn't have the same opportunities they had. I've personally known several people working as joiners, window-fitters, builders etc. who were definitely smart enough to be lawyers, doctors etc. but weren't from the right backgrounds.

Also as others have said there must be a selection bias towards them being conservative and authoritarian in the first place, and studies have shown that low-effort political thought encourages conservative political views.

So like, yes, you can be "smart" or "successful" or "renowned" etc., but that doesn't mean that you're putting in the required thought before spouting off some bullshit (yes yes, don't sign your posts). See also Prof. Brian Cox.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 26, 2021

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

big scary monsters posted:

I have my 2000m swimming certificate in my Twitter profile, I want my online enemies to know that even the ocean is no barrier to me.

Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSc., SSc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Seems fine to me.