Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I couldn't resist and peeked ahead on Mr. Boop, but I enjoyed the finale and I hope some of you folks strong enough to wait and read it in the thread enjoy it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

What Ella Cinders has taught me is that, no matter how predictable or contrived the storyline, when it looks like someone is about to get comeuppance I will get hyped.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Yes!
:sickos:

That last panel got me good.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I don't think anyone wrote a proper write-up of Mr. Boop, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Mr. Boop is a webcomic originally uploaded to Twitter as a one-off, but was so popular that it kept going and got its own well-designed website because trying to read a comic on Twitter is a goddamn nightmare.

The narrative is that of a slice-of-life comic of Alec Robbins, who is married to Betty Boop. He loves his wife, and she loves him. Sometimes people like Bugs Bunny are jealous of their love, and try to come between them, but their raw sexual energy can overcome any obstacle.

The meta-narrative of Mr. Boop is the story of Alec Robbins, a man who lives in a world where the quality of a comic is determined neither by art nor by writing, but instead by the coolness of the protagonist. Thus, when he creates a comic about himself being married to Betty Boop, it is universally lauded as one of the greatest comics of all time. After all, what could be cooler than being married to Betty Boop? The supreme coolness of his self-insert is repeatedly emphasized by having other cool characters (Bugs Bunny, Sonic the Hedgehog) surrender to their attraction to Alec Robbins. Alec's lack of self-awareness makes it very easy for readers from a world with reading comprehension and basic literary analysis to determine which aspects of the fictionalized version are likely to be rooted in truth (erectile dysfunction, low self-esteem, working at Subway) and which are not (an orgy with Goku). His life falls apart in scandal when it is eventually revealed that Alec Robbins is not, in fact, married to Betty Boop. Because there is nothing less cool than lying about being married to someone out of your league, his comic retroactively has become trash. When fans rally to reassure Alec of their willingness to forgive him, Alec relaunches the comic as a true slice-of-life comic this time, trying to learn to find happiness in a real relationship with a real person with their own thoughts and desires.

Many thread residents feel it belongs here because:
  • Betty Boop is a vintage comic character (yes, she had a comic strip)
  • Certain newspaper comic strip creators appear to be under the impression that they also live in a world where the quality of a comic is determined by how cool the protagonists are/how much they gently caress

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

you broke my grill posted:

edit: i asked on another forum about Dustin being a Big Brother and got the response "it's never been official afaik either, just someone added it to wikipedia unsourced and now when you google it you get a bunch of people mentioning it on the comics sites" , for whatever that's worth

I'm pretty sure that was the big goon edit that reframed Dustin as the protagonist, so it would be very funny if everyone just accepted that as canon now.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Agreed on all the prior points about reshelving, I've had librarian friends tell me that their funding sometimes depends on statistics like internal use as well as checkouts, in order to prove that the library is being used and benefits the public. It's good to have a number to point to when some dipstick wants to defund the library because 'no one uses it'.

ps install library extension and support your local library, a lot of libraries are doing pickup orders and overdrive/hoopla still work fine.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

voting third party posted:

Also Willie was throwing dildos at people that whole time, what a finale :lol:.

"Where is he getting all these clubs?" Modesty wonders, as Willie beans another goon in the forehead with a dildo.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

G O D

I don't know if white people doing this counts as a microaggression but it started happening after I moved from the desert to the frozen north and it's just. The worst. Why do they do this.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I need to clear out some books so I can move Tintin and make this the dedicated comic strip megathread cube. :3:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (September 11, 1952)

This is a weird one to see after listening to The Uncertain Hour's coverage of how minor league players don't get categorized as employees and therefore get no protections and paid garbage, all for the chance that they might someday get to play for the majors.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Way behind on the thread right now but I just have to quote this, because while my retail experience was unusually positive (I was in the union and there were almost no customers on the night shift so I just put small items neatly onto shelves for six hours while listening to audiobooks, I read 139 books that year, it ruled) the pallet jack was my nemesis. I managed to go like three months before they finally made me use the drat pallet jack. Until then I got other people to do it for me because I didn't want to. There's still a blue streak on one of the shelves coming out of the back room where I consistently dragged the painted wood pallets against the corner trying to steer. Cooper was a fool to try to do anything fun with a pallet jack, because every pallet jack hates you, except that one that someone drew a smiley face on with sharpie that everyone always fights over.

Pallet jacks!! :argh:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Now that Val has gone through an all-natural trepanation, he can finally get some relief from the swelling in his skull. :v:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 7-9, 1936)

:eng101: Hot metal expands, leaving the rings on a canning jar seeming loose after processing. However, the lids aren't actually kept on using the rings--the heat melts the sealant on the rim of the actual lid to form a seal. The rings are only supposed to be tight enough to keep the lid on so that a seal can form, and should be loose enough to let air escape the jar. Re-tightening the rings after canning can cause the still-hot lid to come loose, breaking the seal. Instead, you should wait until the jars have cooled completely, remove the rings entirely, and test that the jars have sealed. Putting the rings back on is optional, and some people recommend leaving them off so that it's more obvious if something has gone wrong.

However, thanks to my great-grandmother, I know that a lot of old ladies never knew any of this and would tighten the poo poo out of the rings as soon as their jars wouldn't burn them.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Europeans not knowing about skunks is my favorite.

I think all the time about Charles Darwin saying skunks fear neither dog nor man.

A Jesuit in 1635 trying to explain skunks posted:

The other is a low animal, about the size of a little dog or cat. I mention it here, not on account of its excellence, but to make of it a symbol of sin. I have seen three or four of them. It has black fur, quite beautiful and shining; and has upon its back two perfectly white stripes, which join near the neck and tail, making an oval which adds greatly to their grace. The tail is bushy and [163] well furnished with hair, like the tail of a Fox; it carries it curled back like that of a Squirrel. It is more white than black; and, at the first glance, you would say, especially when it walks, that it ought to be called Jupiter’s little dog. But it is so stinking, and casts so foul an odor, that it is unworthy of being called the dog of Pluto. No sewer ever smelled so bad. I would not have believed it if I had not smelled it myself. Your heart almost fails you when you approach the animal; two have been killed in our court, and several days afterward there was such a dreadful odor throughout our house that we could not endure it. I believe the sin smelled by sainte Catherine de Sienne must have had the same vile odor.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Look at those dogs not even caring about Wilbur. I hope he makes it clear that he shouldn't be trusted with an animal and she just keeps them both.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Zereth posted:

My guess is that the mascot is the wrestler they snuck into the dressing rooms to see

Yeah, that was my guess also. I shouldn't be surprised, because it's a good comic, but I'm very invested in these boys having the best day ever. :3:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

"I do not perceive you as working hard enough to 'justify' burnout, and therefore, it must not be! That you are apparently exhausted from what other people seem to find simple tasks if in no way concerning to anyone."

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was actually kind of hoping the woman that Wilbur is with was already in a relationship, but I guess if she invited him to the beach and hasn't mentioned a partner/spouse, that isn't going to be the case, which is pretty disappointing.

:same:

Wilbur has gone without suffering for too long already.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I'm so happy for Tauhid, Crabgrass is up there with the best of them.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I don't think she was really shown as 'jealous' though. It was more like, "You yelled at my cat, I said we should take a break, you threw a fit about how I was choosing a dumb animal over you, and now two days later you're out on the town with a new woman and a dog? What the gently caress." It has read to me since the beginning as Wilbur being completely awful, and doing absolutely nothing to actually change or think about what he did despite Estelle's prior willingness to give him another chance.

I see her as reassessing and realizing that actually Wilbur sucks and doesn't even miss her, raising the question of how much he ever really cared about her (she is unaware that he will not shut up about her on his date lmao). I don't think anyone who draws a cat with that much affection is going to write a story where the guy who keeps implying he wants to murder pets is in the right.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

El Spamo posted:

Just look at that gaze into the glass.

"Is it worth finishing my drink? Will this dull the pain of this train wreck of a date?"

Her grip on the stemware in the second panel is probably just awkward art and not a deliberate character choice, but the idea that she might at any moment clench her fist and shatter it is extremely funny.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (September 9-11, 1937)

I can't tell if this is just a general depiction of someone being uncomfortable in shoes, or if there's some specific thing about walking on the sides of your feet. Mostly because this brought back a long-forgotten memory of my teacher sending a note home telling my parents that they should do something about the fact that I was wearing out the outsides of my sneakers, something they never noticed because at home I was always barefoot.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Bruceski posted:

The technical term is pronation and supination. When it's overdone it can lead to injuries. Shoes can make it worse, adjusting from a flexible bare foot to a rigid sole. I've heard of insoles that are supposed to help with that, particularly if you've gotten to the level of injuries like planar fasciitis (my brother got some for that and almost immediately started recovering). but I don't know if it's worth using in general if not to the level of an actual issue.

Yeah, I'm just not sure if the depiction is coincidental or if there was some old timey folk wisdom about barefoot children being prone to supination once shod. I would find it extremely funny if my parents were baffled in the 90s by my weird-rear end walking, but in the early 1900s a parent would have said, "oh, an obvious consequence of being barefoot too much"

In my case my parents made me practice walking in shoes for like an hour until they were satisfied that they had resolved my shoe confusion. I feel like this should not have worked, but it seems to have!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Green Intern posted:

I think what Foster is saying in this first strip is "They don't find her "Beautiful," because that word doesn't describe how deeply they are in awe of her."

Pretty rough ending to this arc though, and a pretty rocky arc overall.

See, I interpreted it instead as "the traits that make her seem like a goddess also make her look weird as hell". The Watsonian explanation would be that at the time a lot of deities were basically just dudes, who did regular dude poo poo while also being deities, so her being a regular person wouldn't necessarily faze them. The Doylist one is that Foster seemed to be doing the best he could while also being racist. At least he acknowledged that they made their own civilizations and it wasn't secretly the vikings or aliens? Still not great, but you take what you can get with old-rear end comics.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Shugojin posted:

It's Wilbur he probably likes it

On weekends Wilbur buys all the fast food he will need for the week and keeps them in the fridge. The Jerry Saltz of burgers.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Just some good old-fashioned relatable content about having a wife with an eating disorder.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Man, I miss StumbleUpon.

What a weird reference to choose that ended up totally dating this strip. Makes sense for a comic, though, I found a lot of comics that way. I found a lot of good poo poo with StumbleUpon. Nothing has ever really replaced it imho.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

EasyEW posted:

It's Blondie (From Zero) again, and that was a honey of a hole Chic Young dug for Dagwood and company. How do you think they're going to get out of it?

(sigh) How do you think they got out of it? (May 14-16, 1931)

:argh:

I hope someone in 1931 wrote an angry letter to the editor about this.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Vargo posted:

Don't be gross, get your mind out of the gutter, it's a finger-banging joke

That was my unhappy assumption also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

My heart... it's so warm. :kimchi: