Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Green Intern posted:

FWIW it's done on twitter/its own website, and there really aren't that many strips left to be posted here. Just skip by it and it will be gone soon enough.

Wait, that wasn't the end? The one that ties it back to the beginning and is literally the same as the very first strip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SubNat posted:

Little Martianposting

I've been waiting for this one. That panel you pulled out is probably my favorite panel in the history of comics. :3:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

9 "Oh God, This poo poo Again" Lane

So, uh... at what point do we report Brooke to the authorities? :stare:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Addams and Evil - 1947

Saving this one. Possibly for the spaceflight thread, possibly for a politics thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Good thing the sterile metal robots lacking hair and breath were all wearing surgical caps and face masks! :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Green Intern posted:

I searched the phrase, and it looks like bIpIv'a' at least would be "How are you?"

And "jup" is "friend", so I'm guessing the whole phrase is "How are you, friend?" But I'm not sure if "friend" would count as a subject or object there, and since Klingon uses OVS word ordering oh god kill me now

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kazz posted:

These substitute teacher Funky gags are so goofy because when was the last time anyone got a sub who actually knew how to teach the class? Of all the times my band director had to be away in 4 years of high school, I think we had a sub conduct us only once. The other times we either watched a movie or used it as study hall.

During marching season, the drum majors (students who acted as conductors and commanders of a section of the marching band) would generally take over if the band teacher was out that day, and they'd run us through a simple formation practice or something. Amazingly, I can't recall a single time they ever went power-mad on us.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, " Fastrack Inc" is just a NSA/CIA front?

Because NO business, not even the poo poo that controls Wall Street, is THAT protected.

The Protonmail/ProtonVPN people have exactly that. Their main datacenter in Attinghausen is 1000 meters underground; it was originally built as a fallout shelter for the Swiss Army.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

maltesh posted:

So I only really started paying attention to Safe Havens halfway through the Mars Trip.

This seems like a good point to remind everyone that Safe Havens began in 1988 as a strip about preschoolers at a day care center.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

catlord posted:

I am 100% gonna regret asking this, but what on earth was that like? Because this has come up a few times but I don't think we've ever seen those early ones. How did it end up being... this?

I have no recollection of actually reading it, and the only reason I remember it is that Opus mentioned it by name as "the strip that's taking over this space on Monday" a day or two before Bloom County ended. (At least it was the strip named by Opus in my local paper, other markets may have written in whatever comic was actually doing so there.)

e: Looks like it was actually my local paper that did the writing in, the official version says Bettle Bailey:

Bloom County August 4, 1989

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 22, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

...what? :confused: I have no idea what's going on here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The only reason Liz would expect Mom to do laundry is presumably because Mom usually does the laundry. Yes, this is a one-off load on an odd day at a moment's notice. But instead of just saying "I don't have time for that right now, Liz, how about you go run it through the machines yourself?", Mom immediately goes to full-on triangle-mouth ranting and raving, as if Liz did something deeply wrong here.

Fun thought experiment: reverse the roles. Say that Liz usually takes out the trash on garbage day. This week the can has filled up early, and Mom comes into the living room and says "the garbage bag needs to be taken out" to which Liz replies "so take it out". Does this end any other way than a final panel of Liz taking the garbage out and thinking a pithy observation, all under the glowering stare of Mom?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Haifisch posted:

These strips in particular give me strong "there's no consistency in when you're expected to do certain chores, so you only find out when Elly explodes at you for not doing them" vibes.

Like so. If Liz is consistently expected to take out the trash, then she should get in trouble for not taking out the trash. But if mom usually does everything then nobody knows when she suddenly expects them to do it instead. At least until she starts screaming at them for not doing it.

(to be clear, everyone should be pitching in with household chores, but people gotta know which chores are their chores & which chores are 'whoever notices this needs to be done/has the time to do it should just loving do it' chores. Especially kids, who need more structure if you expect them to get stuff done.)

Yup, that's exactly what I meant, but you said it a bit more clearly. Thanks. :tipshat:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 16, 1944)

Since today I'm apparently on a roll turning situations around, why did YOU never speak of love to HIM, Sigrid, hmmm?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SubNat posted:

Moomin Goes Wild West

"Quickly! Turn it back before anyone has time to contemplate the ramifications of snuffing out an family of living, feeling Moomins! Or that there's a 50% chance that we'll be the ones snuffed out! Hurry!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

fondue posted:

B Kliban

Feeling both of these today.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have a link to where the last few Retail strips were posted? I can't remember how long ago it ended or who was posting them.

It ended just over a year ago. Here's Selachian's post history from last year's thread, just ctrl-F though it for the word Retail:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728&userid=190603&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The "is the store going under?" arc begins on page one of that link, and the whole thing wraps up on page two.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I feel like transparent-background versions of Luann and Bernice turning away in terror might come in handy for all kinds of future edits.

I might take a stab at it myself, but I have no particular skill at that sort of thing. So if I'm beaten to it by someone in the thread who actually knows what the hell they're doing, then so much the better. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Reminder: Steve Kelley has actually beat his wife and it's kind of a missing stair open secret.

This specific accusation about Steve Kelley was debunked a few posts up, but I still want to take a moment to remind everyone that kinky bedroom play (which is clearly what Dustin's folks are both thinking of there) is not at all the same thing as domestic abuse, and equating the two is straight-up slander of the entire kink community.

I'm not saying that's what Hostile V is doing -- other topics are in play here, like the movie they're talking about (which I haven't seen and can't really comment on). But I want to state clearly that just because Helen apparently likes to get spanked now and then, that does not automatically mean Ed (or Steve) is an abuser.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Your point is valid and could have been made without quoting me because that was in fact not my intent. I apologize for calling Kelley a spousal abuser because I got him mixed up with Mike Lester.

We're cool. :hfive: Only quoted you because you were the first one I saw bring up the a-word.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Just remember to bring the vacuum cleaner to trade.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Selachian posted:

That's more than I found ... I kept getting steered to information about Glendale.

Glands, and the alleged magical properties thereof, were as common in mid-century woo as "detoxification" is today. For instance, see Dr. John Brinkley, who got rich transplanting "goat glands" into men to treat impotence.

One of the later Sherlock Holmes stories (published 1923) features this phenomenon: it turns out the villain has been taking a particularly powerful gland extract from monkeys in order to restore his youth and vitality, but every time he takes a dose he starts acting very monkey-like, to the point of climbing effortlessly up vines (which is how he got to an upper-story window, thus resolving a piece of the mystery).

As you might guess, this is NOT one of Arthur Conan Doyle's better stories.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

You have to admire Modesty and Willie's devotion to only killing those who are trying to kill them, but I'd also argue that this entire scenario is one big attempt to kill them. Details like "is the bad guy facing me" might have ethical weight in other circumstances, but here it seems all but irrelevant. They're trying to kill you, whichever way they might be facing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

fondue posted:

I don't get this

It's the numbers 4 and 5 in French, which are pronounced approximately "cat sank". :france::respek::catstare:

e: welp, beaten

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SubNat posted:

Snorkmaiden goes Rococo

I very much appreciate that the Moominboys' first instinct is to start doing some temporal gardening.

If they don't pay off that setup in the background of the knot in the tree, I'll be very cross.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hoo boy, I bet he'll get some letters about this one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I went back and checked: the last time anything happened (they found her lost dog) was nineteen days ago. Since then, it's been wall-to-wall talking about how much they love dogs, and there's no sign that it's about to let up.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EBB posted:

Camelot!

It's only a model.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

So many typos and misspellings in this adventure. It started on the very first page of it, when a narration box referred to the bad guys as the "dark angles". Did they contract out the lettering to the lowest bidder they could find?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Okay everyone, of the currently running strips that are posted in the thread (so no classics from years past), what are your top three favorites? Here are mine. Counting down:

3. Andertoons. I'm a little surprised I rate this one so highly, but it's funny a surprising amount of the time, and it's almost always at least clever. (And I'm amazed that he's still finding new punchlines for "people looking at a graph".)

2. Arlo and Janis. It's honest, endearing, and usually about fuckin'. I never really got this strip as a kid, but now that I'm a bit older, it's awesome. (And it's also kind of a relationship goal for when we reach that age.)

....drumroll....

1. Wallace the Brave. If any strip is the spiritual successor to Cul de Sac and Calvin and Hobbes, it's this one. Childhood whimsy and imagination, but without ever feeling cloying.

If you have a favorite you'd like to name but it isn't being posted in the thread, well then, this is your call to start posting it! :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I just want to say thanks to everyone who's given their top three(-ish). Even if most of you completely missed the whole "currently-running" part of the prompt. So much for doing a "top three vintage strips" followup. :) (And if you haven't given your top three yet, please feel free, that door doesn't close here.)

We gripe and poke fun at plenty of strips in this thread, but there's a lot in this medium that we love, and I sometimes feel like we don't express that enough. I grew up on Peanuts, Family Circus, FoxTrot and Calvin & Hobbes, and at around age 10, despite a total lack of artistic talent, I wanted to be a cartoonist myself when I grew up. That plan didn't come to pass, but I still get a lot of joy out of these little doodles for the daily newsprint.

Okay, enough warmth. Back to the snark!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

I got my second Moderna today

I am totally stoked for you becoming immune to the plague, and I hope to join you soon. :woop:

PainterofCrap posted:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

I once got a puny amount of stock options from the company I was working for. My exact quote upon trying to cash them in: "drat IT stop trying to make me into a Republican!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Oh god, it's all starting over again! Over and over and over like Groundhog Day! :gonk:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Jul. 23, 1944)

As usual, Hal Foster is knocking the art out of the park in The Medieval Castle. But the storyline feels kind of distant, if that's the right word.

I guess that's the downside to using a couple of kids as your viewpoint characters: when there are big events like a castle siege, almost everything that actually happens is done by other characters, most of whom don't even have names. Contrast that to Val being involved in (and often instigating) everything that's going on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

nishi koichi posted:

this mary worth arc is some real garbo and it just will not end

I'm guessing that it'll take the rest of this week to finish the food court conversation on how the one visit to a therapist solved all her problems. Then next week will be taken up with communicating the good news about therapy to Mary. Then just two or three more weeks of happy scenes with all of them and the dogs, to put a proper denouement onto this thrill-ride of an adventure.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It's very hard to engage with Luann due to its aggravating tendency to not finish its storylines. It'll get to what feels like about three quarters of the way through a plot, and then... we're off to something else! It's actively punishing the readers who try to follow what's going on.

As for Rex Morgan, MD and Mary Worth, they have slightly differing flavors of the same basic problem: nothing ever loving happens. Occasionally it'll look like something might be about to happen, but nope, the situation immediately deflates.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Oof. Strongly empathizing with Molly here.

Lots of good mini-jokes in the background.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Everything has a cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah see, this is the horseshit that someone else was mentioning. Forgiving your abuser can be helpful to people to overcome their trauma, but pushing "The only way you'll ever know peace is to forgive them!" is really gross and I hate this, I hate this so much, god drat gently caress you Mary Worth.

You know, you'll never find peace until you forgive Mary Worth for this. May I suggest seeing a random therapist one time, who will offer you a few empty platitudes which will instantly solve all your problems?