Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

PainterofCrap posted:

I am resurrected.

Monster Rally – 1950

2020 mood.

Hey I recognize this even though I've never seen it before. In the Simpson's episode 'Duffless' when Homer is watching car crash footage in a DWI class and everyone else is horrified but he's laughing at it, the showrunners specifically cited this cartoon as the inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7d5VOQnXI&t=1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I wonder how many strips Batuik has drawn over the years has been about old men complaining about how hard working out is

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

I thought that Thompson had invented these guys, but no, they were all real except for Uncle Sid. Me, I'm not quite old enough to have been around in the era of local TV kids' hosts, unless you count Bob McAllister on Wonderama on Saturdays.

The urban legend of a kid cursing out Bozo the Clown on live TV is, sadly, unverifiable.

Oh, and if you're wondering what the pun in Count Gore De Vol's name is: Gore Vidal.

Bonus Ad! Tea! Tea! TEA!!!

https://youtu.be/gzakwQ9nJVk

Thompson really did his homework on this one

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Putting black pepper into some kind of stew doesn't make you to be a badass

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ikanreed posted:

Worse, I'm pretty sure that's loving salt. It's white and chunky.

Judging by bottles, the others are like... old bay and oregano. Garbage tasteless spices for middle aged ladies.

Hey don't be bad mouthing Old Bay

Haifisch posted:

Reminder that this comic makes garlic out as something super intense and smelly, and that even looking at a jalapeno makes you hardcore.

If these people were ever exposed to steak sauce it would kill then

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

goatface posted:

Axa lives in a hellworld of starving and struggling people who still maintain excellent balanced fitness and skincare regimes.

So she's in a 1970s post-apocolyptic SciFi movie

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

PainterofCrap posted:

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

They could try invading Belgium, that might work.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 29, 2021

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thanks. I figured someone was more familiar with the whole bundle of crazy. A lot of it sounds like reveals at the end of the original Roseanne.

I wanna say there was something about eating over a sink? But the many threads have become a blur to me.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Chiefs lost 3 offensive linemen Janis, shouldn't have bet against the Bucs defense.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Powered Descent posted:

This seems like a good point to remind everyone that Safe Havens began in 1988 as a strip about preschoolers at a day care center.

1988?! :kstare:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

The view that carrots are good for the eyes is a notion still commonly held today. They do contain Vitamin A, a nutrient which helps contribute to healthy eyes, but it turns out the vegetables have a negligible effect on vision even if eaten in vast quantities. The Air Ministry deliberately fabricated the story to prevent the Germans from discovering the Allies’ invention and implementation of Airborne Interception RADAR units in their fighter planes. This new secret technology was the real reason British pilots always seemed to know when German planes were approaching.

https://www.damninteresting.com/curio/for-your-eyes-only/

It was also used as part of a national nutrition campaign to get Americans to eat more vegetables; malnutrition was the most common reason men were rejected from the draft.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Why do I have a feeling that this is verbatim something that happened to Batuik?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Parahexavoctal posted:

... so if I understand this correctly, Everett believes that wristwatches are so self-evidently feminine that any man wearing one should be a) addressed as 'her' , and b) beaten for doing so?

I really hope that Condo intended for this to be "look, Everett can be a piece of poo poo too".

Until WWI, wrist watches were considered feminine; men wore pocket watches.

Then during the war, someone realized 'wtf are we still doing pocket watches for?' and switched to wrist watches.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 11, 1999)

I'm having flashbacks to the late 1990s in my house

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The_Other posted:

I like how Calvin's dad is a bored as Calvin, also how he's getting the side-eye from Calvin's mom in that first panel.

this storyline really reminded me of doing the same thing, overnight road trip to some cousin of my mom's wedding.

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #135 (1992)
Spoilers for nudity

Looks like they were protesting and stinkbombing Basic Instinct, aka the Sharon Stone no underwear movie

https://apnews.com/article/22a3aef95871419c0742d7dd723bb584

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #136 (1992)
Spoiler for nudity:

By the 1990s the VHS format had firmly won the war between early home video technologies. I can't find any easy-to-hand statistics about VHS ownership over time so I don't know how behind the curve Harriet is here-- but it had been commercially available for a pretty long time by 1992.

Malika's camcorder, which as we'll see soon records onto normal VHS tapes, is a little more cutting edge, since that format was introduced commercially in 1987.

These are the most boring notes possible for a comic about a sex-tape.

One thing I love about this arc is that while Bechdel has, I think, made Mo endearing to the readers in a lot of ways, it's hard to fault Harriet either.

VCR's had been commercially available since the mid-80s but they still cost. In 1994 a new VCR would set you back $200 or more.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zereth posted:

Points?

Also I swear TWTD did this gag already. But with different art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjusted_Service_Rating_Score

Basically as the war in Europe started to wind down the decision was made to start discharging American troops based on time in service, i.e. First In First Out.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

How Wonderful! posted:

Just a head's up, I just got my second Moderna shot and will be traveling for house renovations next week, along with a ton of finals grading. I will try to stay on top of things and of course remember to pack my Bechdel stuff with me, but I might end up being asleep for 48 hours or getting trapped inside drywall or something for a little while, who knows.

Free piece of advise, don't try to fight it when the 2nd Moderna shot kicks it. Do what I did, knock back a shot of nyquil and sleep it off like a bad weekend.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/normfeuti/status/1388142304947474434?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
We named the cat carcinoma because everyone in this town gets cancer

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LOOK YOU DONT GET IT

IM FAT

AND I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT

BUT I DONT WANT TO CHANGE ANYTHING

SO A NEED A SCALE THAT WILL LIE TO ME LIKE SEAN HANNITY DOES EVERY NIGHT

I NEED A HANNITY SCALE

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mercury Hat posted:

Back this early, the brass ring for a lot of people was a newspaper syndication, banner ads still had a few years to go before they were profitable and bandwidth was a lot more expensive. A popular comic linking to a lesser known one could crash its website from the traffic influx.

Some creators had luck with merchandise, but that was also harder to do with fewer options for printing books, shirts, that kind of thing. One thing that caught on was a proto-Patreon arrangement where creators asked fans to donate a large enough lump sum to cover a year's salary. I'm pretty sure R.K. Milholland of Something Positive was the first to do it:
(Source: http://www.comicstripfan.com/webcomics/s/somethingpositive.htm )

And I remember Mookie of Dominic Deegan doing the same thing a year or two after.

People would also do up-front pre-orders to cover the cost of a print run in a kind of Kickstarter-esque business model to gauge interest. The danger of doing this, though, is Paypal could and did flag someone's account for fraudulent activity with the sudden surge of cash. I want to say Girly's artist got burned by this, but I can't find anything on a quick google with hazy search terms.

So, long story short, some people could manage a living from webcomics, but it was a different environment 20 years ago. This is just going off of my memory as a hobbyist who's mostly on the outside looking in at these things.

Some people could make a go of it; Scott Kurtz leaned hard into the merchandising aspect early on enough to make a difference.

Then of course there's Penny Arcade and PAX, which is like winning webcomic Powerball.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Oh NOOOOOOO" Duck (August 9, 1913)

Toonerville will be back on Monday.

So, I was curious why they picked the Japanese ambassador to get Duck out of Mexico, or if Japan even had a ambassador to Mexico in 1913, and it turns out that Mexico was Japan's first recognized trade partner.

quote:

After the Meiji Restoration, in which the Empire of Japan officially reestablished diplomatic relations with various governments of the world, in Mexico arose interest to initiate official relations with the Empire of Japan. The expedition from Mexico to Japan in 1874, led by the Mexican scientist Francisco Díaz Covarrubias, was the reason why formal attempts were made between representatives of the governments of both countries to have diplomatic relations. At the end of Diaz Covarrubias' report, such action was recommended.

In 1874 (fifty-three years after Mexico declared independence from Spain in 1821), a Mexican scientific delegation headed by Francisco Díaz Covarrubias arrived in Japan to witness the transit of the planet Venus through a solar disc. Although the scientific delegation did not have much success, this mission did allow for formal diplomatic relations to begin between the two nations. In 1888 Foreign Ministers Matías Romero and Munemitsu Mutsu signed a Treaty of Amity, Commerce, and Navigation; which was to be Japan's first "equal" treaty with a foreign nation and thus formally established diplomatic relations between the two nations.[2][4]

quote:

The fact that Mexico agreed to sign a more just treaty in comparison to the treaties reached by other countries that favored the Europeans over the Japanese was seen as a grateful act for the Asian nation; and so the Mexican embassy in Tokyo was given a unique location right next to the Official Residence of the Prime Minister in the heart of the Japanese capital, in an area reserved for the room of senior rulers of the country. It remains there to this day.[5]

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

so we've seen Batuik complain about how hard working out is, and now we get to see how hard it is to have your house remodeled.

coming up next, Funky Winkerbean complains about his annual checkup!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigglesSWE posted:

I remember when Luann was scandalized by being at a party that was loud, and with people making out.

It’s a comic for people who think jalapeños are the height of exoticism, much like Rose is Rose.

As a comparison, when Foxtrot did the same plot, it was because everyone at the party was drinking, taking bong rips and doing coke.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

(Al Frueh)

I saw something similar in a old Gasoline Alley from the 20s, it cracks me up that the invention of home radio brought in home exercise programs, because it really shows how much society has evolved while keeping the same basic concepts.

We've gone from this to Pendleton in 100 years.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Selachian posted:

Peloton, surely.

Yeah that's what I meant

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2003/03/27

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Late to FOOB chat, but I think one reason why it's so bad to us now is because in the 80s, misery=drama in terms of family oriented dramas. Think back to "very special episodes" of 80s sitcoms. I'd argue that FOOB's bad writing is bad to us now, but was considered top notch at the time. Sitcom drama story at the time was "junior borrowed the car and broke a mirror" or "sister cheated on a test". Today, family drama is multiple layers of causes interlinked with itself, but in the 80s the mom and dad were fountains of wisdom and the kids were always wrong.

I'm sure in the 80s FOOB was groundbreaking, but today we look at it and say "gently caress thats hosed up"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

there isn't enough booze in the world to support a Funkyverse strip club

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

COVID Winkerplague

Stephen Bochco didn't write this much about alcoholism

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Reviews are pouring in for The Winkerbean Monologues! "I gave up my six-month chip over this son-of-a-bitch!" says Daniel J.!

"It gave my cancer cancer!" - Mark W.

"Help can anyone hear me? I'm trapped between worlds and cannot die!" - Lisa M.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Writing comic strip storylines where characters you invented win prestigious awards is pretty Chris-Chan like.

WOAH thats a strong internet flashback, forgot all about that guy

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Huxley posted:

Eh, my grandfather fought in WW2, my dad is 64, I'm 37. I think that lines up pretty well with Arlo's dad, Arlo, and Gene.

It's a little more complicated because the college stories have Arlo getting kicked out of frat parties for yelling about Nixon, which would make him a few years older than my dad (who graduated HS in ... 76, I think). But maybe Arlo was the kind of guy still getting kicked out of frat parties for yelling about Nixon deep into the 70s.

Jimmy Johnson mentioned on his blog that Arlo and Janis are in a sliding scale of late 50s - early 60s, so on the verge of retirement.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Found this on the Son of Stuck Funky site; I don't know if it's a web crawler or what, but it's got newspaper comics going back to 2006

https://nuless.org/comics/dailystrips-2006.11.15.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This poo poo keeps bugging me more and more day by day. Not only isn't "lol america" -> "gets hit" not a very fun joke the 67th time, it's so loving STUPID.

When America sent soldiers to Europe for World War I, nobody dismissed it, certainly not the Germans or the other Central Powers. Everyone understood that one side suddenly getting access to millions of fresh, well-fed troops and their supplies was a HUGE loving thing because World War I was a war of attrition that could only be won by grinding the other side to paste.

Everyone understood there was now a firm deadline on the end of the war, which kind of forced the Germans to try last minute gambles (see: Kaiserschlacht, die) to force the issue before the Yanks got over and basically ended the war through sheer force of numbers.

And that's largely the main thing they had to offer to the allies. The American army of 1917-1918 wasn't technologically or tactically superior to the European powers. They "just" had millions of well-fed, strong and fresh men ready to fight in a time when their opponents were basically fielding boys and walking corpses.

E: not "everyone else", "their opponents"

this is something you see quite often in American propaganda and culture at large during 1917-1918; those Europeans think us Americans don't know how to fight, its our first time, etc. There was a element of truth to this; prior to WW1, American troops had been involved in colonialist low level conflicts and some minor skirmishes, but not full scale war*.

Also, the US Army prior to WWI wasn't as 'professional' as we think of armed forces today; the Army was seen as something you joined if you had done time in prison or a sanitarium, or if you had failed at everything else.

Before the American Expeditionary Force was sent to France, British and French commanders wanted Americans to be assigned to their units as replacements, rather then be their own fighting force. John Perishing resisted this strongly, and also insisted that American troops be well trained before being sent to France, as opposed to simply "here's your rifle, now go get the huns".

*the Civil War notwithstanding

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I guess Sears as it existed before Eddie lambert is the analogue?? I don’t remember Sears ever having food or snacks

Norm Fetui said it was a expy of Sears and Gimbels department stores. Personally I'd say it was closer to Kmart then anything else, before they got bought before Sears.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigglesSWE posted:

In what loving universe would “Lisa’s Legacy” be considered a potential hit in Hollywood?

in the same one that Batuik dreams of every night, where cartoonists are worshiped as gods among men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Les Moore's Unquestioned Privilege Summer Vacation continues!

"It's called a 'real doll' and you can have them custom made to look like anyone!"