Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Glad to be reminded of "WHEN MAN'S CONSCIENCE IS GONE HIS SOUL IS DEAD" for the new year. Happy Comic Strip Megathread, everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

m
r
r
o
n
k

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Lottie from Bad Machinery and Ingrid from Prince Valiant give off a similar energy. I'd definitely read something by John Allison where Lottie claims a himbo and injures him into dating her.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

These men don't know it, but they're already dead.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

This is one of the strips that hits me pretty hard as an adult looking back. Yes, it was absolutely wrong of Calvin to try to get Susie in trouble in his place, and he didn't get his bug collection done on time. But what benefit is he getting from being yelled at over and over and over again? The punchline makes clear that getting read the riot act doesn't make him remember assignments any better- he's a child who needs help, but he's learning that authority figures are much more interested in exerting that authority than in helping him.

I know it's just a comic strip, and that Calvin isn't an actual child, but it reminds me of my own childhood enough that it got under my skin.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

It's amazing how Lynn can be correct here, in that it's good for schools to offer safety lessons for young drivers, yet the utter misery of Michael in the panels and the weird shift into parent-martyrdom in the punchline still make her opinion read as utterly hate-able.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Linton's "DAYTON, OHIO" shirt is wonderful. Dayton: Come for the Airshow, Stay for the... wait, no, it'll come to me...

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (March 4, 1937)

It's always kind of weird to see these Mopsys where Mopsy's entire body is visible beneath/behind her dress. Was that just the style for women's fashion illustrations at the time?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Classic Cathy hasn't been posted here in a little while, but I've been catching up with Jamie Loftus's "Aack Cast" and this week's episodes are all about women in the funny pages so it seems relevant to the thread: https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/3403597

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (April 12, 1937)

This one seems like it could well be semi-autobiographical. Gladys Parker was pretty famous, if I'm remembering the thread's history lessons correctly, but it's not hard to imagine that fame not being compensated monetarily.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

amigolupus posted:

The story of how and why Erin went to hell in the first place was really weird and completely underserved.

Yeah, in that story the supernatural elements seemed much more bleak and malicious than the impartial chaos they'd represented in earlier arcs. The conclusion also indulges in the nasty habit of ending a storyline abruptly with no sign of resolution for some of the characters, leaving the reader just having to hope that eventually the author will abruptly bring the abandoned characters back into the spotlight in the coming months or years.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

What kind of miserable person do you have to be to not be able to tolerate a silly conversation about donut holes?

(a person raised in the Kudlick household, obviously, but still)

Kavak posted:

Of low blood. :britain:

Folks seem to have gotten pretty fixated on this, but I got the impression that the main cast were weird about Bruno less because of his low class and more because he's a giant rock of a man who doesn't really talk very much around them and they're physically intimidated by him. You can't rule classism out completely, of course, it's shown up in other stories in the Bobbinsverse as well. I just don't think that's anything close to the whole picture.

PetraCore posted:

He's a steady, supportive rock of a man and Shelley is not ready for that sort of commitment at this point in her life, or maybe even ever given how we see her life go. Literally, there is nothing 'wrong' with Bruno, they just have different plans for the future and Bruno proposing was I think the point at which Shelley realized she was going to have to either make a serious commitment or be prepared to do a lot of talking about where they're going, or break up with him. And we know which one she picked! I don't think either of them is wrong in that specific situation, it just could have been less public and awkward and Shelley should have told her friends to stop being rear end in a top hat about Bruno.

This is how it read to me as well. I think even well into her 30's Shelley isn't interested in a permanent relationship, and certainly wasn't prepared for it at this stage in her life.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks March 11, 1936

Corrigan doesn't know it yet, but he's already dead

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Everett seems to have gone entirely from taking on real pests to just mangling anyone who's the least bit annoying. Was Condo getting up there in years at this point?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Slammy posted:

And He Did! September 10, 1918

Lassos were a surprisingly important part of World War 1 aeronautics.

Does this one smell a little edit-y, or is that the spoor of Turbo Impala on the wind?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Without the Garbage Ape in his heart, Garfield can never overcome Heathcliff.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

That's from the Sunday storyline The Rat Must Die, which began October 8, 2017 if you're interested in looking it up. I'm thinking of rereading it because I think it was a good one and I don't remember much about it.

How am I just hearing about the Phantom/Bloodshot crossover now?!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Rand Brittain posted:

Why wouldn't he pair up with Sarin? She's great, and being partnered with other artists gives him more time to work on multiple projects.

I think folks get inordinately bent out of shape about the differences in art styles between the different books. Sarin's art looks great to me. Allison's own art has shifted a lot over the past couple of decades and it seems odd to get so mad about seeing yet another style used to portray his characters when the man himself has gone from crabbed doodles to adobe art to his more contemporary hand-drawn work. Obviously everybody has their own taste and if somebody doesn't like Sarin's art, that's their affair, but the vitriol that periodically crops up in the thread seems out of proportion to the actual difference it makes.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Drimble Wedge posted:

My friend doesn't understand what that thing crawling to the door is.

It's the first in a series of strips, so for now it's just a weird crawling thing

rannum posted:

I think it's just meant to be a generic gross monster thing, and not anything specific

Shows what I get for not refreshing before clicking Reply!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Childhood is Hell

I remember the kind of bedtime experience described in the top right from my own childhood, being sent to bed when I wasn't tired and then lying awake for hours staring at the ceiling. Can any parents shed some light on why that's the done thing? Is it just that helpful to not have your kid up and around for a couple of hours before you go to sleep? I know that parenting is hard, I just also know that figuring out a natural resting cycle has been a weirdly difficult part of my adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Is this one a boner joke, or am I just too immature to understand it?