Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I too would like to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah casting is surprisingly cheap if you've already got the TV.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Squad play leans more towards board games and wargames than it does RPGs. I don't think I've ever seen an RPG with more than two characters per player.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hirelings are more disposable resources than characters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I haven't heard of that game in ages. Did they finish it or is it still in unending playtesting?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How is it?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Splicer posted:

Hey now, you could have used BESM

Bad news for you champ, Anime D20 is BESM.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But then what will I dump stat on wizard?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yes, if GMs were allowed to ignore the moves rules whenever they wanted in PBTA games it would be chaos. The games are structured around certain expectations, this isn't like houseruling that a fighter gets extra feats, this is reaching in and changing the fundamental rules of the game. It's like if your GM said "Okay, from now on all resolution will be resolved by playing Pop Up Pirate instead of rolling the dice." So first off you'd be like how does that even work, and then you'd be spending more time setting up a children's boardgame than you would be playing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a particularly lazy Lasers and Feelings hack that doesn't even tell you what you're supposed to do

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The idea of a multi book slipcase is you can move them around as a unit and the individual books are kept safe and sound. But yeah, there's not much reason to a single book slipcase except to make it seem extra fancy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MrMojok posted:

Is there a dedicated thread for Cyberpunk2020/Red?

Yeah it's on the third page because it's not very active.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954467

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Once I figured out the rules interactions liars dice was one of my favorite minigames in the first Red Dead Redemption. It seems simple but bluffing games are quite complex.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly given how adaptation movies go that seems entirely reasonable to be like 'we actually adapted the material rather than begrudgingly slap the name on some failkid's script'.

Which is basically what they did with the first D&D movie. I mean hell, it didn't even have clerics in the setting.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I watched John Wick 4 today and it actually had AC rules in its gunfights, shots either were lethal or bounced off harmlessly. Crazy. Although it was just bullets, there were arrows and knives that worked via normal action movie rules.

So because of that I'm going to say run John Wick in d20 Modern, I'm taking no suggestions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love TBZ's damage system, it's great for modeling shonen battles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It just works

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It is not. It tries too hard to emulate the comics unfunnily and is a crunchy mess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think that was attached to the print, yes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't want 13th Age 2 with him because the sidebars in the original made it clear that he was responsible for every bad regressive decision in 13th Age's rules.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Solo RP has rules, usually in the form of an Oracle or other guidelines.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You don't have to have sex in your games. This is something people don't seem to understand about apocalypse world. If you're uncomfortable with any aspect of the game, don't use it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I would assume the same thing as any other D&D party; murder, loot, and carousing. Certain aspects of the hobby are still trapped in 1974 and I wouldn't expect bible thumpers to be up on almost 50 years of game design.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955634

Found it on the third page of my bookmarks. No idea where it is on the forums.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If automation can replace sex trafficking, bring on the automation. I'd rather robots get hustled from country to country to serve perverts than innocent humans.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ah the good old Parrot, although this is a less deadly version than in the original story that posited vision based cognitohazards. In that one, it was a pattern that could be spray painted on a wall that if you looked at it without protection you would die or be horribly disabled if you only saw part of it. Pretty dystopian future where cans of spraypaint were illegal.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I find it hilarious that the first comment was by someone suggesting trying to pay artists in exposure.

That's the vilest thing I've heard all day, and I've been reading open Internet commentary about that missing submersible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I have never heard degenerate used as a technical term in regards to RPG mechanics, I would be fascinated to hear about how I somehow missed it in my 30 year history of RPGs. :allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's video games, not tabletop.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I once ate an entire tub of Cool Whip once, it was going to go bad and I was like "I have nothing to put this on but I am hungry, so here we go" didn't get sick or hyper or anything. Barely got full, there's not much to Cool Whip.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For once I'd like to see alien bugs depicted as something other than hostile communists, usually with a "hive mind". Where's my race of rugged individualist bugs like Goliath Beetles? Or peaceful rancher bugs like Ladybugs? Or even weird adaptive hunters like Mantids?

Give me some variety in bugs, fiction!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Forever argument

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aren't spreads good for offset printing and nothing else? It certainly doesn't make them easier to read.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

Six attributes, just like in real life. Adds to verisimilitude.

What are the six attributes, by the way?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That maybe the case but I think English pilots drank gin because they liked to drink gin.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

whydirt posted:

Do we have a thread for FATE?

Hasn't been posted in since February but yes Fate megathread

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The SNES version had its own charms. I actually liked it better than the Genesis version.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the worst example of cyberware alienation came from 3rd edition Shadowrun where they decided cyberware cost essence because of neural plasticity despite A) that not being how that works, and B) still charging essence for implants with no neural connections like bone lacing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Any time you took a serious injury as a mage you had to make a test or lose a point of essence. It was a balancing mechanic I was not in favor of. I don't know if 6th Ed still does that, I've avoided 6th because it's an incomplete pile of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I agree with that point, Shadowrun has always been it's own thing. It's cyberpunk adjacent but unless your GM ignores the magic rules you ignoring the magic rules is done at your peril. You at least need to understand how spirits and spell targeting work, for your own protection.

You can separate out the fantastical elements but the game suffers without them, basically being a more fiddly Cyberpunk RED with dice pools.