Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If a game has never been played, is it still a game?

It's an indie game. :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It doesn't help with the impression outsiders have of this forum as being full of spiteful indie designers who hate the biggest market share owner.

To be fair, this is a lot of the indie dev community :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hard Wired Island kicking off Saturday. Hesitantly excited at this point. Excited because everyone (including myself) except one player worked up multiple character options and is real passionate and excited... hesitant because only one other person seems to understand the setting at all, and there's enough misunderstanding of the system that out of 4 locked in characters, two are the combat centric archetypes and one is an Influencer bent for fighting, in a game that heavily punishes fighting and has a mini version of Unknown Armies' "six ways to stop a fight" appended. So I'm more than a little worried what direction this will go in, especially with the GM deferring so hard to player choice while having a fixed start in mind they won't even slightly hint at for us to be prepared for.

One thing I noticed while writing HWI was that a lot of people have a very specific idea of what a cyberpunk game is—the PCs are cyborg mercs in a dystopia full of gonzo sci-fi tech who hang out in dive bars when they're not working for corporations or gunning down mostly-Asian gangsters—and will assume all cyberpunk games are like that. Hard Wired Island has some combat-scenario options (e.g. the Dreamer stuff) but if it turns out your group treats it as Shadowrun Again and you figure out why I'd be interested to know in the HWI thread :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

Here's a brain buster: what makes a comedy ttrpg a "comedy ttrpg?"

When it does me a laugh and not because it sucks. I will admit I don't think about this one super hard :eng101:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Then that means... Hard-Wired Island is a comedy RPG! Hoisted on your own petard, Ettin!

I mean, it's that or the ahegao shirt guy is meant to be serious :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Oh cool, the SCP RPG is finally out

Any idea how it is? I was put off by the KS and how soon it went on sale after release but the reviews on DriveThruRPG seem to be pretty good :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

We'll always have piss wizards

Trad Games Chat: Dare you enter my magical realm?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

hyphz posted:

It can’t just be me, surely? Almost every “RPG horror story” or online flaked group seems in that category? (Surely not ALL those are made up?)

zaurg, get a divorce hyphz, quit your group.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kestral posted:

Heliotrope is broadly correct about BitD wanting you to do worldbuilding at the table, but if you want more... Canonical? sources, Harper has done a couple of lengthy streamed Blades games, and everything he introduces into the fiction there is obviously canonical. The Bloodletters game in particular is fantastic, and contains a lot of excellent setting material.

Has it ever been collected anywhere for folks that don't have time for that? :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I could see a sitcom-style Forged in the Dark hack working. The "score" is the PCs dealing with a problem or trying to accomplish a mundane task (getting gifts for a dinner party, forgetting where you parked in a parking garage, celebrating Festivus), the score's detail describes how it starts going wrong, the engagement roll decides how bad it is, Heat represents rising drama/tension in their lives (which must eventually be released by the PCs fulfilling life obligations like work/maintaining friendships), indulging your vice is unchanged. :eng101:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright folks: who here has run a scenario (ideally in a fantasy setting, but I'll take any) set in a fancy party? How did it go? I'm currently running a score for my Blades in the Dark group and I could use some stories for inspiration.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Well, if you look at Breakfast Cult by famed author Paul Ettin, which is completely unrelated to the contest entry former forum moderator Ettin made for a contest several years ago-

But seriously, off-hand Breakfast Cult hits all of my requirements for what a good implementation of Fate should do. It has a good, tight hook, it adds something mechanically, and it has stunts that are actually interesting and not "you get +1 to X". There's probably less SA-related third party examples, but I haven't thought too hard about Fate games in a while. If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to add them.

Really pleased to hear this, but I'd feel bad if I didn't add that a lot of what I do with stunts I learned from Atomic Robo :eng101:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is :perfect:, intentional or not, but as an Australian I'm also wondering if booze comes out when you squeeze it :thunk:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Now I can go back to posting without responsibility.

Finally, you can bring back grognards.txt.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
hosed up that some rear end in a top hat got rid of grognards.txt honestly.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

I am dissatisfied that the "tabletop business people make business decisions" conversations (which I find fascinating) and the "bad actors do bad things" conversations (which, we should shout loudly, but also, the goon conversations are rarely that interesting) are lumped into the same thread.

I do not have a better solution.

One of the big reasons I closed grognards.txt was because people were just dumping the same randos and 4E debates over and over, so if you're after a thread specifically about bad actors (like, actual industry people and maybe important community figures), you could try rules for sticking to that and not bringing up old/forums drama. It would probably come up anyway the instant someone has an excuse to post "oh that's the guy who posted this ten years ago..." though, and I'm not the guy who'd have to moderate it :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hard Wired Island paid my bills for a while. I haven't done TTRPGs as long as most of the folks who make a good living so here's hoping the trend continues upward :dance:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

He is a Known Goon,

That helped! I think a lot of it came down to community building: I've been posting in big RPG communities/RPG Twitter for years, and I made a bunch of smaller games that did fine, so a lot of people are willing to both promote my games and work on them with me. My advice would basically be to find communities to get involved in and try to make some friends. (Actual friends though, not just people who can give you a boost - most people will pick up on it if you're trying to use them and avoid you.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tulip posted:

Thank you for this! I'd love to hear more reflections if you'd be willing to share. That part about communities makes sense to me - RPGs are a very small world and with a rare few exceptions have very little brand driving, so charisma & connection are more important than they might be in a world less driven by individual creators.

Do you have any questions or should I just think about what seems interesting? I feel like I'm not 100% qualified to do this yet, but maybe that is a lesson that impostor syndrome is real :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tulip posted:

Oh jeeze I could go on with a lot of questions but I'll start with a slightly off-center approach -

The art in HWI is beautiful. How'd you find the artist? Were they somebody you'd worked with before or knew already, or did you have a formal process, or did you just DM people on twitter who had portfolios you liked?

Did you have difficulty communicating your ideas to the artist or was it nearly spot-on with no effort? And conversely, did seeing the art take shape influence the game design? Was the game near-complete when you started getting art or was that an early part of the process?

- Most of HWI's artists are people I followed on Twitter or found through art hashtags. I used to just post that we were looking for artists (and we got at least one artist that way), but I stopped because in my experience a lot of artists just waited for clients to come to them and some of the people who did respond were really pushy/wanted to upsell me on commissions I didn't need. I email instead of DM because it feels more professional though. Some artists were also friends or recommended by friends (which is why a lot of them are Lancer-adjacent).

(I kind of screwed up the art direction, actually—originally we were going to release sooner, so I commissioned a bunch of extra artists for single pieces to hit that target. Then we moved the release date anyway. I'm not unhappy with the art but I did waste a lot of effort, and DTRPG's product page won't fit all the artist names now :v:)

- I haven't had much trouble communicating with artists! I am generally fine if it doesn't come out exactly how I imagined it, the new versions grow on me anyway. I only had problems when the O'Neill cylinder the game's set in is visible in the background; I eventually just commissioned a 3D model to use as reference.

- I usually start art and writing around the same time to get things done faster (and so I don't have to sit on my cool art ideas for months). Sometimes discussing the art gives me ideas for the game, but with HWI it didn't really change much. We started with the big generic wide shots of the station and by the time we got to the other stuff Freyja and I knew what we wanted. I did make up the Shin Umeda location because the art piece on p. 142 had signs that needed to be filled in though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
My favourite Werewolf-style game is Are You The Traitor? because when I played it with my group we were supremely bad at it. Everyone would just sit there waiting for someone else to say something, and about five seconds into the round someone would accuse someone else of being the traitor based on some incredibly-minor-yet-somehow-suspicious facial movement. One time someone (wrongly) accused me of being the traitor because I got bored and smiled thinking of a post I saw earlier

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

trapstar posted:

The most wholesome character I've ever made was killed today. She was obliterated by a ray from a zombie beholder. She was just an innocent, kind hearted college girl that went to a mage college and was part of a sorority. Funny thing is that in my other game the absolutely nefarious and despicable amoral degenerate thief I'm playing is doing absolutely fine. I guess this is the just the way of the [D&D] world, lol.

Are you gonna try for a resurrection or anything? Not gonna lie, if I commissioned art for my PC and they bit the dust I would rather pay for a res than get a new commission :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

trapstar posted:

Just a random thought that came to my head.

Would you guys rather live your life as someone rich in a medieval fantasy world or be poor but live in modern day RL?

I choose to be rich but in our regular medieval world. I commission a sturdy tablet detailing the events of the early 21st century and bury it somewhere it won't be found until it's too late. I become history's greatest mystery.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Is there a generally accepted best version or is that a forever argument?

Paranoia 5E was the 4E of Paranoia. :unsmigghh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

FATE Accelerated coming up in the F&F thread reminded me of something I’m not sure I shared here

A few months ago I was re-reading Breakfast Cult and a serendipitous moment of music on shuffle made me realize: The Flaming Lips’s “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part I” is a full character sheet

Her name is Yoshimi
She’s a black belt in karate
Workin’ for the city
She has to discipline her body

(Special skills, group affiliation, pressing drive; I’ve come to the table with less than that)

It is a little late for me to add new characters to the final expansion but what if... what if I just... :thunk:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
A long time ago when we used IRC instead of Discord, a guy turned up in an RPG channel I hung out in to advertise an erotic Pathfinder game. I ended up spectating (because why wouldn't you, obviously) and a lot of it was a bard DMPC crying because the elf warlock PC he was banging wasn't lawful good. I assume you gotta have D&D rules for a little extra spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Ettin's showing off some Wetrunner stuff but something seems odd about it

I knew I should have led with the Antarctic brain fungus :negative: