Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_mSNO77Y8

This reminds me that we've never quite had a successor to Riddle of Steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

D&D getting in on that Lady Dimitrescu vibe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Thankfully LOTFP is no longer necessary, if people want BX in official form they can go get it for like 10 bucks on Drivethru, and if they want a more modern format for it they can go for OSE instead

I do keep hearing people repping Old School Essentials lately, which I assume is a fairly recent release, and I've been out of the OSR loop for a while. How does it compare to stalwarts like, say, Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I keep having to remind myself that Phoenix Command and Phoenix: Dawn Command are different games because I keep getting excited at the thought of the former getting an update/remake/re-release.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I hadn't listened to an Actual Play in what must've been over a year but I tried one again for a change of pace and "The Contractors" by Roleplaying Public Radio was so good, just a top-shelf Delta Green scenario.

Thanks to Ross and the team for continuing to make content, I really enjoyed it.

It's also nice that DG APs tend to be one-shots so I don't have to worry about walking into a long campaign where I'm a dozen episodes behind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't design my way out of a wet paper bag but D&D does suck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My recommendation for an OSR adventure that you can run out of the box would be the Yellow Toad God's Well on the back of Black Streams: Solo Heroes, a free supplement that Kevin Crawford did many years back that was his first attempt at creating rules for OSR D&D that would allow one-player-one-DM games (which would eventually turn into Scarlet Heroes).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Crawford can miss (I've heard that his treatment of communist ideology in Stars Without Number is somewhat problematic), but he rather misses somewhat less often and less egregiously than others in his sub-sector of the hobby, which by OSR standards explains why he's otherwise received so well by people who aren't reactionaries.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

How do you guys handle a game where you just run out of ideas for future sessions?

Men with guns bust in and interrupt the current goings-on

Let their suspicions guide you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

I am designing an encounter for tomorrow night's game, and wanted to get a sanity check.

boss monsters in 4e are capable/intended to effectively take multiple turns, it's fine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Libertad! posted:

So, I'm in the process of writing up a FATAL & Friends for Supers & Sorcery, that "5e medieval fantasy but superheroes!" thing. I am a sample size of one, so my question to you goons is what exactly would you want out of a tabletop superhero RPG? I know that 5e is a terrible fit regardless, but I want to make sure I can nail discussion of the genre conventions as well as the mechanics in terms of grading its emulation.

for what it's worth what I'd be looking for here is "superpowers" worth a drat

like, if it's Superheroes By Way of D&D Fifth Edition I would expect that you're not making an attack roll for d8+4 damage against a single target anymore. Wow me with something!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

PATROL is designed for Vietnam-era combat, but it isn't too hard to dial the tech level back or forward a few decades, and it has a lot of optional rules and advice around that, too.

PATROL specifically has DLC available for a WWI setting, just to underline the point that the game can be moved forwards or backwards in time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hel posted:

I can never remember which of Patrol and Recon is the good one by Erika Chappell and which is the Palladium original.

Patrol is the good one by Erika Chappell

Recon is the old, not nearly as good one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tanglewood1420 posted:

Diplomacy is a great game. Despite its reputation, generally the players who tell the fewest lies do the best. It's very feasible to win a game without telling a single falsehood. It's much more about building relationships and trust and being good at convincing other players that their goals are aligned with yours than "let's ally, lol I stabbed you".

Someone should run a PbP Diplomacy game again :hmmyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Having Beria be in charge of the Talent project is something that eluded me and does make it make sense,

Part of what got Beria to rise up (further through) the ranks of the Soviet leadership (he was already a senior party member by the 1940s because of his work in the secret police) was because of his role in organizing labor camps and gulags for wartime production, and specifically the Soviet atom bomb project

It sort of makes sense that he'd be put in charge of a Talent-creating program just on the basis of comparing Talents to the atomic bomb as a secret superweapon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how forums infrastructure really works but at the minimum the thread should be preserved and accessible in here and if goldmining the thread can do that, I'm all for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to drop a recommendation for Sine Nomine's Scarlet Heroes, which is a D&D derivative designed specifically to be played with one GM and one player

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Angrymog posted:

The key technology - the damage and defy death mechanics - translate straight into any D&D derivative with no issues

Also yes. And in the case of a conversion I'd recommend the free "Black Streams: Solo Heroes" supplement also by Sine Nomine for mechanics on how to do this translation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do we still have a D&D 3e thread?

I have a character (Fighter/Order of the Bow Initiate) that has access to the Ranged Sneak Attack mechanic, and I'd like to know if there are more ways to get the Ranged Sneak Attack to apply besides while the target is Flat-Footed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Telling blow and start stacking crits

e: googling also gets me deadeye shot, but my 3.x is too rusty to tell if it's actually good

Telling Blow and Deadeye Shot might work!

Arivia posted:

You being invisible/attacking while hidden SHOULD count. I say SHOULD because ranged sneak attack is from the 3.0 version of Order of the Bow Initiate and the rules for what causes “target is denied Dex to AC” are ambiguous. In 3.5 it would likely be written as the target being flat-footed. This is one case where I’d ask your DM to be absolutely sure.

the 3.5 Order of the Bow Initiate just lets them do Precision damage at any time as long as the target is within 30 feet (and is vulnerable to Precision damage, so no plants, Undead, etc.), but making the attack that deals this damage is specifically a Standard-action attack all by itself, so it doesn't synergize with a Full-round attack, which is why I took the 3.0 version

Thank you though, I'll have to look into attacking from Hidden

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've always thought that an "X-card" was for signaling to the group that they're in personally uncomfortable territory that needs to be backed-away from (to phrase it very broadly), and in that context I wouldn't think that dice-rolling would be relevant at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always just a little grumpy about having to get out of bed at 7 AM to play some fuckin' D&D, but I always feel glad I did by the end of the session

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My hot take is that RPGs as a hobby with "homework" or "sunk cost" is hardly unique.

Like, over the last couple of months I've been playing a lot of first-person shooters (Call of Duty, Battlefield) and even if you set aside the parts of these games where there's a deliberate sunk-cost system as programmed in by the developers (i.e. battle passes, weapon grinds, perk grinds), there's still the part where you need to develop muscle memory, you have to do warm-ups, you have to do some research on the "meta" of weaponry and perks, you have to build your map knowledge, and so on

Or something like Diablo 2 Resurrected, a game I've also been playing recently: you need to learn which classes are good (at least to start off with), what "builds" are good within those classes, you need to farm up the gear, and so on.

In both of these cases, it's not... a small ask to have a person to jump into another game altogether because they might already have a significant time and effort invested into the other one that they'd already have been playing.

I mean, if they're my friends and I wanna play a game with them then sure I'm going to jump into a match of Warzone or whatever, but it's still gonna sting if I have to start from level 1 with only the default weapons and no attachments unlocked and I'm not familiar with the map, and I feel like that's the same kind of impulse that's at play when you have a person that's very familiar with D&D 3.5e and they're apprehensive about jumping into GURPS.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

Sounds like you are describing Against the Dark Master.

there's also Lightmaster

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/279034/Lightmaster-Core-Rulebook

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was talking to some friends about early 2000s internet speeds and it triggered a memory of me staying up all night to download a program that was a digital character sheet for D&D 3rd Edition characters. Like, it wasn't a spreadsheet, and didn't use the Windows interface nor the UX (like the 4e character creator does) but was this full-screen program that had the whole dungeony theme of the PHB around it and the buttons would make sound effects like you pressing a stone block or something, which is why it was a more-than-100-megabyte download circa 2004

does anyone else remember this or do I just have a false memory

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I found it!

At the bottom-half of this blog post: https://seangamingcorner.blogspot.com/2016/10/old-ad-2nd-edition-character-creation.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

What I don't remember is ever downloading it like Gradenko mentioned. Maybe that came later?

it was a free program so it made its way onto the internet

pretty sure I got mine from FilePlanet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

regarding D&D character creators from last page...

yeah that other thing that made this triggered memory so interesting to me is that it sort of proves that WOTC had been trying to do computer-assisted tools for their D&D for a while now, and is just another point in favor of "4e was not a huge deviation from the norm"

as you said, if anything, 3.5 was, since it was the one that didn't have a similar toolset compared to 3.0 or even AD&D

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not disagreeing with you, but it’s worth keeping in mind that this is circular : we assume games should have long campaigns because they do and then (some) people complain if they don’t. I think a lot more games should focus on tight play loops that concentrate on delivering the kinds of experience they set out to have and not worry cause some rando whines that a game designed for one shots doesn’t have extensive options for character advancement.

this is sort of parallel to the Pathfinder discussion in the Industry thread, but it's kinda funny that a lot of Paizo organized play taps out at level 12 because the writers generally understood that that was about as high as you can go before players (read: casters) can really start to derail poo poo and people just generally went along with it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean there are a bunch of shooters that strip you of all your nice guns and force you to crawl around with a knife in a stealth section like some dipshit, so the mentality really does spill over into other games

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I've written this post before, but following the spell acquisition and spellbook maintenance and reagent cost rules to the letter can limit the Wizard's power enough that they don't become gods at high levels, but you still don't really want to do that anyway because it just makes the game punishing as hell for everyone

That, and later editions of D&D slackened this sort of thing enough that 3rd Ed Wizards are still really powerful played entirely by the book

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think actually knowing anything about geopolitics would be a detriment to trying to run Dracula Dossier

Much easier if you just double-down on Russiagate and the KGB FSB being behind everything, except also vampires

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.facebook.com/secretworldlgds/videos/1376699796170928/

Secret World ttrpg for 2022. So I guess we are getting a third world of darkness after all.

I originally read this as "New World" and thought that it was about the trainwreck Amazon MMO

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Good summary of these anywhere? I only knew things like the insane gold inflation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLtLxTahSjo

this first one is only 7 mins long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ZMly9YAPA

this one is longer if you want the long way around

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Totally spitballing here: what about a D&D variant where classes go to level 5, and after that you take another one? I don't mean SotDL's Path system, exactly--there could be "advanced" careers that you can't start with but a Fighter 5/Purple Dragon Knight 3 wouldn't be objectively better or worse than Fighter 5/Thief 3.

this is not a "bad" idea per se, but you'd have to make the later "advanced" classes that much more powerful, to account for the fact that you're only getting them from level 6 onwards (and so on)

the problem with 3e's prestige classes (that you already touched on in your parenthetical) is that an Eldritch Knight at character level 6 was competing with a Fighter 6, but the Fighter 6 was intended to be a competitive choice, instead of the PDK (or whatever other class) being objectively better. Like, if this idea were to work, taking EK 1 at char level 6 should mean getting everything a Fighter gets PLUS offensive spellcasting, and so on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The irony being that 3e basically ends up being a really lovely point-buy system in the long run.

especially when you consider that 3e was at least partially derived from Rolemaster, which was itself a quasi-point-buy system

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking of a Red Markets job where you're asked to investigate why a particular town reported zero Casualties for far longer than it should have been possible for it to do so, and people think that there might be some kind of weapon or treatment or solution to the virus there that's gone undiscovered since the Crash (maybe mention that there's a research lab or hospital in the town).

You trek to the town and find... Casualties. It doesn't look different from any other town in the Midwest that was consumed by the Blight. What gives?

The party fights its way to the local hospital, or the DHQS outpost, whatever, and they find a final situation report and... the person that was making these reports refused to classify any losses to the Blight. Were they outrun by a Vector? Cardiovascular failure. Bitten by a Casualty? Arterial perforation. Heart attack, stroke, an underlying cancer, they kept looking for "comorbidities" to write off every fatality as not actually being related to the Crash. There was no miracle cure here, just the bureaucratic echo of someone who couldn't commit to paper the horror of what was happening around them.

When the character perusing the reports realizes this, roll for Self-Control.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
on the topic of death and failure in TRPGs, I've been playing a lot of Arkham Knight lately and something that game does is that sometimes, if you go on a mission and fail, you don't get a Game Over (though this does happen a lot in the main plot for somewhat obvious reasons), but the game just carries on with the villain escaping and you still have to catch him and maybe the next attempt to catch him is more difficult

and the game autosaves as soon as you fail the mission so you can't go back and retry

in some ways this is annoying because if you're not too up to snuff on the mechanics it can feel like you were cheated out of a win just because you were forced to get it right the first time without any practice

but in some ways it's also a very effective gut punch in that having to live with your failure is more resonant than getting to try again, or having death be the end state

I guess this might not be a particularly new insight but it's been stuck in my head for a while and I wanted to share

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Position being "spendable HP" is such an obviously bad idea that I won't even get into it, but what is the drat deal behind it refilling randomly? I couldn't get past the first boss of Dark Souls 3 to save my life but even I know that Stamina is always full at the start of an engagement and that every move that consumes Stamina does so at set-and-predictable rates depending on the move involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

...should I know who Luke Crane is? Because my brain keeps telling me he's a Marvel comics character, but that can't be right.

guy behind Wheel of Time, Torchbearer, Mouseguard

was held in pretty high regard on the back of those games being fairly well designed, but in recent years has torched (pun intended) his reputation, first due to a complete inability to drop the Wizard-speak even when dealing with kickstarter backers trying to handle administrative/business concerns, and then more recently due to trying to smuggle Adam Koebel* into a TRPG kickstarter he was headlining

* Koebel presided over one the players in his Twitch stream gaming group getting sexually assaulted in-game