Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought that was the Yakuza thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Y'all can just say robots are cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nier Automata got really depressing after the first two "endings"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean if there's braids getting tugged it'd be weird if someone weren't also smoothing their skirt somewhere nearby.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

randomness is the opposite of agency

This is from a few pages ago but I actually stopped and chuckled.

Maybe instead of agency FFT meant "spiciness," as in the gambler's high when you leave things to chance.

But yes, agency in the context of game design is almost always in the sense of the sociological context of the term, which is the capacity of individuals to act independently and to make their own free choices.

Which is, yes, textually the opposite of what FFT meant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thirding the Pathologic 2 recommendation, tbh

Apropos of anything else to do with the discussion, it's a hell of a game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If there was also an easy shared Paint-like program integrated into Discord, the rest would just work fine with bots.

This would be a gamechanger tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hypnobeard posted:

One does not need Hârnmaster to play in Hârn, however,

Ah, Hârn reduction

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ace Attorney shows that being able to commune with the dead does not preclude the ability to tell a mystery story.

That said, lol @ the existence of so many spells in D&D and its derivatives that boil down to "I, the player, do not want to have to use my brain so I am cast spell to make problem go away now"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kegel's Saga

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think tactical Co-op vs. programmatic npc enemies is even the entire mode of play for Gloomhaven. Solo and you get Five Parsecs and its predecessors.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That was uncalled for

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Using oracles instead of a gm with hidden information actually is a pretty good way to spark a sense of discovery, even if it means me and my co-op partner are actually taking the oracle prompt and improvising based on it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Going to third "that was uncalled for". I have a lot of interest in solo play (not quite GMless, but adjacent), to the point where I made the solo thread. I still haven't managed to make it really click for myself, because "discovery" is the one biggest thing I want out of RPGs and there's little to none of it to be had when you're in control of all the inputs or they're all transparent to you. It's a fundamentally different experience and people who like standard RPGs aren't guaranteed to enjoy that degree of authorial control. I'd reckon hyphz's view is probably the majority view outside the SA bubble.

It is true that solo/co-op its a very different experience from GMed gaming, though I will say having prior exposure to other games that put more narrative control in player hands does make transitioning to the solo/coop play mindset a bit easier.

Ironsworn in particular clearly has some pbta dna in its bones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Look at you with your Vancey words and your big wizard hat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Probably not on the fly per se. I imagine the strategic maneuvering would instead happen over time, so that gives you time to figure out where to go from there. If the "easy win" situation lasts one session, then have the big counterattack ready next session.

You could also have the pieces of a big battle pre-assembled and only put them together in a way that makes sense when it comes time to actually throw down.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

PurpleXVI can go first. :shrug:

I don't know if you two have a history but this jab seems unnecessary

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also I can have sex in real life, so playing sexual characters seems redundant. I don't roleplay bowling, mowing or spreadsheeting either.

Yes but in game you can do it for free

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Trad Games Chat: some kind of erogenous hoop snake, rolling thirstily across the blasted wastes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Runa I'm not a Republic serial villain

I'll hold this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean if you're just looking to offload some older books you don't need, I don't even think you need a market, just a buyer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hankmaster, the official King of the Hill RPG.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, when you convert WoD to any other system, it's not like there's a lot of tight mechanical design to screw up.

heh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Off the top of my head

AD&D 2E
D&D 3.0
oWoD Vampire
oWoD Werewolf
oWoD Mage
oWoD Hunter
Adventure!
Exalted 1E
Monster of the Week
Lancer
Fragged Empire 1E
Fellowship
Last Shooting
Ironsworn/Starforged

Of those I think I had the most fun with Fragged and Fellowship but it helped that I had a great GM. Fragged Empire especially benefits from a lil bit of automation since range brackets are very granular.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

trapstar posted:

I have never DMed but love worldbuilding

This statement alone describes half of all GM origin stories

The other half is being the only one in a given friend group willing to do it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mirage posted:

*glances at small mountain of PbtA games*

Nope, can't think of a single one.

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Every time I've tried to parse Legends of the Wulin, my brain has just refused to understand it. I'm not sure if it's down to the rules, the way the rules are presented or down to me, but I just cannot manage it.

same, tbh

At least the fluff owns

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a FATAL & Friends review a while back where I tried to break down and reorganize the rules presentation of Legends of the Wulin that seemed to help some folks get it. Starts here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&userid=190101&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post513716731

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct link

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Reality patch notes ver. 1009.62 (season XLVII)
- Fireball heat output capped at 2000K (can no longer achieve fusion when stacking metamagic)
- increased soul cost on Raise Dead (from 25% of soul to 33% of soul to prevent reaching 0% soul)
- nerfed thaum-to-kilojoule conversion rate (Create Food & Water generates 12.5% fewer nutrients per thaum - this is one of the adjustments we are testing in order to buff the value of farming in the current meta)
- prayer now generates 999 faith per week of religious observance down from 1100 (maximum divine intervention bundle price has been adjusted from 1000 faith to 999 to compensate)

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anybody who thinks 4e is like WoW hasn't played either

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cessna posted:

I'm on vacation and don't have my stuff here to cite page counts, but no, the D&D books aren't 85% combat mechanics.

lmao this mf trying to argue percentages in a joke

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

this is how you know we in the tradgames forum

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The beat way I've seen someone illustrate how fail-forward is meant to work is Disco Elysium

Succeeding every roll you make is one of the most boring ways to play because the funniest and most poignant outcomes generally come from failure

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BT might be low model count but it makes up for it in rule complexity, it's not exactly a breezy game for a newbie to pick up.

PurpleXVI posted:

Plus I can't think of any game that isn't improved by removing at least one line, idea, check, roll or mechanic that the authors thought was a brilliant idea but were grievously wrong(either in general or for the particular group). Either explicitly or by just never bothering to call for it. Every game has one of those.

Despite the fact that this started with you making an observation that actually is true of a number of early PbtA games (especially Dungeon World, but can also see it in like, Monster of the Week), the conversation moved on to a point where I think clarifications are necessary.

My primary experience is with Fellowship but PbtA games generally operate on the same ideas, so it's from this perspective that I'm telling you that you're misunderstanding what people are saying.

I am being completely serious when I say there are surprisingly strict constraints on what a GM can do in most PbtAs, mechanically. People aren't talking out of their asses when they say this. By design, the GM reacts procedurally to player action when said action triggers something in the mechanics. The "my GM would instead do this in this situation" is a case of one's GM actually breaking the rules-as-written, because the rules give strict, mechanical actions as options that a GM must choose from when the rules prompt it.

It's not a matter of just house ruling something away to suit the table's tastes, it's actually about changing a piece of procedural game logic into something else entirely, something the rest of the rules may not be able to support. It's less "let's ignore spell components" and more, "let's change the win condition in chess."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I love it when a game tells me it's perfect the way it is and I'm not allowed to houserule it.

You and what army, buddy?

Runa posted:

It's not a matter of just house ruling something away to suit the table's tastes, it's actually about changing a piece of procedural game logic into something else entirely, something the rest of the rules may not be able to support. It's less "let's ignore spell components" and more, "let's change the win condition in chess."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can absolutely change the some of the logic operating in a given PbtA game, hell that's what people are doing when they're writing their own games in that format.

But you'll want to actually know what you're doing. And to do that you have to at least read the rules and try to understand them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This stat spread... Tell me, what does CHEUGY mean?