Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Legit tip: use RPGmaker for mapmaking. There are premade and fanmade tilesets of every possible terrain you would possibly want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DND 4E campaign, next session starting in one hour. Not much other than that and some Tormenta one-shots in a discord "guild" I'm in.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

pwning n00blets is great and it's the true gamer soul

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Glutes Are Great posted:

Hey tg leperflesh reminded me to post here, so uhm how's it hanging with you guys

I made the Imp Zone TRPG thread today

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The furries have enough ground already

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I really hope that as part of the de-evilifying of D&D races they make gnolls cool again I loving love hyenas

I think removing inherent morality/alignment from D&D races is good but Hyenas are the shitheads of the Savannas.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hyenas got an undeserved reputation as evil scavengers because Victorian naturalists couldn't see in the dark.

When Europeans were first learning about African ecology, they used to go out at or before first light because they knew lots of animals are crepuscular, and they wanted to observe things during the dawn activity period. When the sun rose, the picture they saw quite often was a pride of lions around a kill, and hyenas circling. They drew the conclusion (perfectly reasonable, I suppose) that the lions, being mighty hunters, had killed the prey and the hyenas were waiting for the lions to get done so they could scavenge the lions' kill.

Now that we have cameras that can record at night, what we observe is that hyenas actually kill about 95% of the prey they consume, and rarely steal from lions unless they have a significant advantage of numbers. Lions, being bigger, will bully hyenas away from their own kills, leaving the hyenas to wait and producing the scene that fooled Lord Archibald Toffington-Smythe in the 1850s.

https://ideas.ted.com/everything-you-know-about-hyenas-is-wrong-these-animals-are-fierce-social-and-incredibly-smart/

Huh, TIL!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tibalt posted:

At least Victorian naturalists were basing on their own observations. For a long time European anthropologists would base their work on the travel diaries of administrators and colonialists.

Imagine the theories you'd have about American culture based on second-hand accounts of homecoming games.

Darwin was a Victorian naturalist and he did a pretty good job. The study of biology advanced a lot during that time, even with the obvious constraints (the error regarding hyenas is an honest one, studying at night in an era before night-vision equipment would have them wielding lanterns and spooking every animal away from observation range)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol they made saltybet for 5E

http://goblin.bet/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

apparently the puppet with huge boobs was by request of her voice actress, who explicitly asked that the puppet's boobs be as big as possible

you know what. she is on her right to do so. and i'm on my right to be horny for the hand puppet

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Play star trek adventures! You can: have racist caricatures try to force your crew into marriage! Find a haunted sex candle! Bajoran politics!

Be a part of the Temporal Cold War!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

At this point I think the most obvious "why the gently caress doesn't this have an RPG" franchises are, like, Pokemon and Naruto. Or I guess replace Naruto with shonen series of your choice.

Official do you mean? Because I played fanmade RPGs of both those series.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

aldantefax posted:

Anybody playing any games recently? Just wrapped up another GURPS session and gonna run D&D tomorrow, then more GURPS on Friday. Hooray!

4E weekly: Entered a shonen fighting tournament on a demon city, currently fighting against a team of duergar on a rickety platform, super fun so far.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

So I'm running a game for the forums, and I had a cool idea. If you are PLAYING in my game, don't click unless you want to see FORBIDDEN SECRETS. If you do click message me so I can set up a cool thing.

Considering the otyugh aura, the werewolf counter and the giant's mark, the melee people are definitely in trouble. The stacking psy vuln and aoe restrain from the Fey are dangerous as well. It's a dangerous encounter for sure but who knows, my party managed to best encounters of similar strength in other games here

e: Also the lack of defenders makes me think it's probably going to be a DPS race to see who murks the other side first.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 7, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Tommyknocker shop should sell you pieces of a spaceship that turn you into an alien that proceeds to rebuild the spaceship

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't think it's a problem to ask people to have familiarity with a setting when running a game based on it. For starters it's likely to attract people who have it more than not, and having to explain basic concepts will distract from GMing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol I didn't knew Paradox Interactive started as the Subsidiary of a Subsidiary. They should have bought KULT instead of WoD to go full circle.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah interesting, so Paradox and the Age of Conan/ Conan Exile studio have the same lineage?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone tell me what Kaiju the Rust Monster, Bullette and Owlbear are supposed to be

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

im not a critical role guy but i need to post this here

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mistaya posted:

Are there any decent sites/discords/etc out there for finding PBP games? Really jonesing to play in something but as much as I love SomethingAwful the new game scene here is dead and I'm already GM'ing two games so I'm not interested in running a third. It doesn't seem too hard to find groups for live-gaming online but for PBP/Async play I've been having no luck tracking anything down. :(

Primarily interested in the various PBTAs but would also take FATE or any of WoD/Scion/Exalted.

rpol.net? that site is still trucking right?

EthanSteele posted:

It came up as an answer to the age old question of "how do you not ruin the economy by making infinite gold in Ars Magica?"

Acquaintance of mine: If you make too much gold in Ars you end up known as the scholar who is full of gold and is guarded by just a few dozen grogs so bandits and robber knights (if not the local feudal lord!!!) will just swarm your covenant.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 24, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It doesn't help with the impression outsiders have of this forum as being full of spiteful indie designers who hate the biggest market share owner.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's all very easy to blame others for your own misfortunes, but why not look at yourself first?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

To be fair, this is a lot of the indie dev community :getin:

Honestly the anglosphere tabletop industry is not that bad to work since other than a few translations on kickstarter you don't have to compete with other countries so much. A true globalization would have some starving third world designers I have in my circle write a sourcebook every month in exchange of just the living expanses that in the first world would be for a pet chihuahua or a guinea pig.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions.

Monster Girl Encyclop-

quote:

Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence

Nevermind.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

In my new D&D game my prospective Skaven player adjusted his concept towards being more party-friendly but still a rat person, mechanically simply a reflavoured halfling, and we said what the heck, halflings in our world are just ratfolk now, makes it all a little more unique. Then we hashed out the details and I got a sinking feeling as I realized we were making a race of literal rat people who were facing prejudice for their association with disease and pestilence, and who were, in a society modelled after medieval Europe, also traditionally that society's merchants and traders.

Better just gloss over one of those aspects entirely I think

Gloss over what, doing actual good writing and worldbuilding? Wouldn't abandon those, they all make for good hooks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

It's the accidental antisemitic stereotypes plutonis

It would be unfortunate if the ratkin were actually an evil race, but not if they are victims of bigotry and misfortune :shrug:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

So the Gorilla Men were once enslaved by the humans and are typically stereotyped as dull, brutish, and primitive haha no relax I see your concerns but these dark-skinned proto-hominids are actually surprisingly intelligent given their ape-like wait come back

Hey, you are the one making that post.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Would suggest have the monster's different turns having different initiative tracks to make it slightly more fair by giving breathing room to PCs

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How well can superhero systems be adapted to... JJBA, OP or HxH type manga adventures?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, Hunter x Hunter is already basically a point-buy superpower game, complete with classes/archetypes, just as-is in the fiction.

But would a just GM allow Bungee Gum shenanigans?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Seems to me the simplest solution would be just chopping off the rotted leg and going with a pegleg

You could make it cooler by making the pegleg a sword or some kind of weapon too so the halfling guy's fightstyle now involves kicking people with it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

whydirt posted:

There pegleg should be an Immovable Rod that they’ve integrated into a cool martial art

Crossbow or miniature cannon (which would require some training to use)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AttackTheMoon posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for running a play by post game? I tried one once over discord and it was a disaster, it felt unorganized and people would either not respond and I wouldn't know when to just skip them or respond in weird orders. I'm not sure if using a more traditional platform like a forum would be better.

Play by post unfortunately has a dismayingly low success rate, in dozens I've been in, only one survived more than a few months and is approaching the end, and even then it had a whole year hiatus. Unfortunately there's not much advice to be given in that front.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Friday is shaping up to be a monster

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

TL:DR - I just want to play a low magic game where a lizard person, a giant spider an orc and a robot delve into dungeons, why aren't more people catering to that?

Ask your GM for a Homebrew or reskin. Topic locked.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

I am sorta curious how your average medieval parochial peasant village would react if, say, an actual elf or dog-faced man or one of those headless guys with their face on their torso walked into town. Those were all things that people may have heard of and acknowledged that yeah, those probably exist and are merely weird and not fundamentally evil, that's just what people in far off Cathay or whatever look like. Mind you they were obviously never actually confronted with one in-person, they were just stories about some exotic thing that lived so far away it might as well be a Star Trek alien

One of my favorite books, Baudolino, had a small party of Crusaders visit a city in the Kingdom of Prester John inhabited by dog faced people, pygmies, blemnyes and all sort of medieval bestiary freaks and after the initial shock they were nore unsettled by the fact they followed all sorta of pre Chalcedonian heresies (and the races themselves bickered just because of those) than by their actual appearances.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Are you sure they weren't making that comparison because (apparently) WoW is bad now?

*has been for a decade

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there a campaign pitch for a tactical game any of you wish existed? I'm cobbling together a tactical system that I think has some potential, but for the first time in my life, I'm completely blanking on cool settings. I've been fleshing it out with bog standard fantasy, but that's boring. Should be a good setting for lots of grid combat, and have room for some fantastical abilities.

Feudal Japan/Dynastic China fantasy. Kudos if you go full Wuxia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

probably not but it's my go-to theme for things that don't have one

You could leverage it to make the same point about all the awesome violence the comic did but that takes a special group of players.

e: you could always go full historical and make a WW2 tactical game but there are Issues

maybe "WW2 with a twist" like "WW2 but with aliens" i.e. basically Metal Slug

oh poo poo actually there was a pretty sweet tactical jrpg called operation darkness that was basically a british squadron of werewolves, jack the ripper, the reanimator, frankenstein's monster and van helsing vs nazi vampires and zombies during ww2 and the final boss was hitler, dragon summoner. a tabletop of that would rule