Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1348800536552857601?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KingKalamari posted:

I've been running the same Alien: The RPG scenario for two different groups and am quite liking the system. While I've read through the Year Zero system a few times beforehand in various contexts this was the first time I've actually interacted with it in a play context. I've had a copy of the core rulebook for Forbidden Lands for ages and picked up the supplements that are up in the current Bundle of Holding and think it might be a good system to try and pivot towards for my fantasy games, anyone have any insight as to how it feels in play?

Oh, yo, can you give me some deetz on how Alien: The RPG plays? I got it but I haven't had a chance to deep dive because my work ramped up with the pandemic instead of ramping down. I am mad curious what the game plays like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

It does a really good job of replicating the tension and paranoia of the first movie: A lot of attention is paid to what they call the "Stealth Phase" when characters are not actively engaged in combat but are moving through dangerous territory. There's a big emphasis on timekeeping in a manner similar to 1st Edition and earlier D&D during this phase, and this affects not only the PCs but also any monsters that might be stalking them.

Character creation is super quick and easy and the core rolling mechanic is very simple and elegant. It also has a simple but effective system for resource management.

The game is, expectedly, very deadly: During one group's first encounter with an Alien one of the characters had his arm ripped off and that wasn't a case of me trying to dick him over as the GM.

One other thing I really appreciate about the adventure I'm using as a base is the way that it not only provides room-by-room information for the ship on which the action happens, but also a bunch of potential events and encounters to seed throughout the adventure, divided into "Acts". It provides the GM with a lot of tools to keep the adventure moving, but also makes things very easy to tweak and customize. This was especially helpful since I reskinned the adventure to fit into a "Cassette Future Eclipse Phase" setting I've been tinkering with.

Overall a lot of fun, would recommend!

Cassette Future Eclipse Phase? So you upload your brain onto an A-Track and transfer your conscious long distance by playing your brain on vinyl? No really, though, I am actually curious.

Also the game sounds awesome. I do worry it could get repetitive though. If it's just one game? Sure, but how can you do a long game in such a manner. Unless, that isn't the point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Saitama from One Punch Man is essentially a Chuubo's character. He has unlimited power but it won't help him with his emotional problems.

Covok
May 27, 2013

System Mastery poster dudes, you really chose Interstital for your first PbtA on system mastery? That game is not good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

For the last six years, I went from Pbta to FATE to Cortex. I forgot Fantasy d20 games exist.

Probably good riddance, but did anyone make any good ones since I forgot about them?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gort posted:

Yeah, I'm generally in favour of option B - full statblocks for each type of the monster, with lots of repetition. It's a PDF document after all, page count's not that big of a deal, while having a statblock you can just print off unmodified that contains everything you need to run the monster is.

Layout artists aren't free, yo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yo!

Who here has ever played...the Sly Cooper Trilogy? Sly Cooper and the Theivus Raccoonus? Sly 2 Band of Thieves? Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves? If not, they're cartoonish thief games where you play a band of thieves pulling off a series of heists to rob bigger thieves.

What game would work well for a Sly Cooper game? Perhaps Blades In The Dark?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Leverage, mostly because Blades has a focus on controlling territory that isn’t really in the games. But it’s certainly not unworkable to have a reason to engage with all the various holding mechanics if you don’t want to keep the sort of globetrotting the games work with.

That sounds like the perfect suggestion. I actually remember hearing Leverage has great pacing mechanics for heists. I forgot that game existed. Thanks, stranger.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Glazius posted:

For some reason I always reach for Fate Accelerated when thinking about stories that paint their characters in big, broad strokes and have them doing a variety of things. You can look into Crimeworld from the Worlds in Shadow supplement to get some setup hooks, though when it gives you numbers keep in mind Fate Accelerated is 1 lower.

I can definitely take a look at that, especially since I own it. Makes it easier than other suggestions so far.

I also got this one: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/194021

It's from Sanguine and looks promising.

Leverage, which I happened to own, also looked really good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Here's a brain buster: what makes a comedy ttrpg a "comedy ttrpg?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

Crossposting for visibility, since the Thread for Threads isn't the most active place.

I collected the cards but never played.

Covok
May 27, 2013

None of y'all talking about the only stat that matters: the anal circumference score.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1482079452121243648

HOT-BLOODED YOUTHS!

TENSE MELODRAMA!

SHONEN ACTION!

Join the fray in Friendship, Effort, Victory, a shonen battle manga tabletop roleplaying game. Inspired by works such as Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, My Hero Academia, and other battle manga, Friendship, Effort, Victory uses the acclaimed Powered By The Apocalypse Engine to deliver the flashy, dynamic battles and intense, climatic drama of those sensational works. 

• Choose from 11 classic archetypes to quickly and easily make your character. From the overly cheerful, friendmakers to the angsty, vengeful loners to the fiery, unpredictable rivals, your characters will feel like they would fit right into your favorite stories. 

• Friendship, Effort, Victory subtly guides players to the themes and key moments of classic battle manga by guiding conflict resolution with simple mechanics. 

• The dual health system keeps battles tense and emotional. Characters have the ability to buy off their physical damage by taking emotional damage in its place. Death only comes when a character chooses to accept its embrace. When that time comes, accepting death gives the character a burst of power and a second wind that ensures the hero goes out in a blaze of glory.

• No one is ever left out of the fight. In a genre known for amazing one-on-one battles, players may worry they could be left out. The spectating mechanics allows non-combatants to offer support to any match, even if they aren’t present for the scene. At any time, non-combatant can introduce how their character is interpreting the fight, giving characters bonuses, buffs, and debuffs as makes sense. 

• The Arcs, General, and Villain systems keep the world dynamic and the threats serious. The Arcs system manages many different threats the world faces due to the Villains mechaniations. The General and Villain system ensures that Villains never fall easily and keep the Sagas from ending too soon. Through the plot armor the Villain system provides, Villains always feel like a major threat. By making the Generals key to removing that plot armor and making the Villains vulnerable, stories grow horizontally. Instead of a mad dash to the Villain, heroes focus on their own matchups, knowing that their victories against the Generals take the team closer to ultimate victory. 

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kestral posted:

If this is actually true I'll be very impressed, and very surprised. I love PbtA, but no PbtA game has managed anime-style "flashy, dynamic battles" in a reliable, satisfying way. Looking forward to the Actual Plays on this one, to see if the proof is in the pudding.

I did a promo game on Friday but it wasn't recorded. We did consider a promotional actual play, but it didn't move forward. You know, some kf the team doesn't speak English and we're in different timezones.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Someone asked me how it went earlier so I summarized it but it was last week so the point by point mechanics of what happened would be hard to recall.

quote:

The World Martial Arts Tournament is hosted once every year. Fighters from around the globe come to show off their ability in a demonstration of martial prowess. This year seems to be shaping up to be a real slugfest as "The Worst Generation", as the World Government likes to refer to them, has decided to participate. A catch-all term for the less orderly ki users that have cropped up in recent years, the World Generation is made up of some of the most powerful warriors that the Tournament has ever seen

quote:

It went really well. So, basically, it started at a tournament. It started off with Amber's character against Ratman. She did pretty well, but Ratman bruised her ego by just barely losing, with his shoulder hitting the ring out first when he tried to push her off. Then, Agent Rush fought Mike Lee. She underestimated her opponent and got knocked out of the ring. Finally, JT easily beat Pincel (she called Jurassic Jerk) by punching him in the nuts while the dinosaur incel was in his "chad mode" form. Because there wasn't enough people, a "coin toss" got Agent Rush into the semi-finals. in the semi-finals, Agent Rush and Amber have an amazing bout where they both got put on their last legs so they used their ultimate techniques, with Amber winning. Then, after seeing that amazing fight, JT decided to stop using weapons, like Amber was telling her not to, so that they could learn to use ki. They fight Mike Lee and put up an impressive match. At the end, JT learns how to use ki in a move that knocks Mike Lee out of the ring. In the finals match, there is a lot of push and pull and it becomes legitimately drawn out. In the end, Amber uses her advancement mid-match to unlock her Awakening. Which she uses to defeat JT and win the tournament and the $100k prize money.

Covok
May 27, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I find it hard to decide which is the more realistic perception. On the one hand, going by politics as-declared, right-wing movements should be pretty big fans of vigilante lawmen(often in some way rich or privileged), going around beating up poor people committing financial/property crime to try and survive. On the other hand, plenty of right-wing governments would be real worried about the existence of a left-leaning superhero that couldn't just be put down with water cannons, pepper spray and casual police violence.

As heroes exist in most comics I've encountered, dealing entirely with symptoms and only rarely paying attention to systemic issues that drive people to crime, like poverty, lack of education, poor social safety nets, etc. and often cooperating to a lesser or greater extent with the police, it would feel like they'd generally be darlings of the right as opposed to friends of the left.

Baked in there it also feels like most superhero stories are to some extent based around the idea that only these special empowered people can deal with the crises presented at all: Police, military, citizen militias or whatever group of normal people with training, experience and teamwork will never be able to do what one exceptional person with zero backup can do. Something in that also just feels inherently right-wing, both the idea that you don't need a team or a society to back you up to resolve big issues and also the idea of fundamental exceptionality.

I recenty had to think about this issue when a bout of nostalgia for Ultimate Marvel hit me. Re-reading the comics, you can clearly see that Mark Millar viewed superheroes as part of the military-industrial complex. He clearly had issues with that concept but also did things that were intentional or unintentionally facist. For example, while congress is presented as incompetent (as are the heroes), the actual military is shown in a positive light.

I decided to take a stab at it in a Masks playtest but I never finished it. It had so many trigger warnings that people kind of convinced me such a depressing playset probably would never see play. The general conceit, in regards to politics, is that superheroes were general disliked individually in the political sphere.

The Right Wing hated superheroes who policed business, government corruption, and fought against social issues. The Left Wing hated superheroes who helped American colonial actions abroad and at home, and disdained their status as unaccountable vigilantes. The former cirtiscims only came from out-of-government as no sitting poltician in America ever critizes America's colonization efforts. The center held little to no strong opinions because centrists generally don't have strong opinions, instead focusing on compromise between the two wings.

This is addressed loosely and barely elaborated on in the playset since the old status quo is thrown out after the Halycon Incident. The Halcyon Incident is when a group of social media influencers who bought their powers accidentally blow up 20 city blocks when they fall for the super equivalent of "swatting." A live stream shows them attack an innocent scientist and accidentally detonate her experiment, setting off a chain reaction with other experiments in this super-science skyscrapper. The Halycon Incident accidentally creates a wave of randomly powered people called Mutants from the fallout.

The incident quickly led to the Mutant Registration Act, which defined all powered individuals as Mutants, defined all Mutants as inhuman under the law, and required all heroes (even unpowered ones) to work for AEGIS (Mask's SHIELD equivalent). Mutant City, a Mutant ghetto, quickly formed from disenfranchised mutants. The Enforers, the Government's super team, set up shop across the nation with their Fifty State Initiative. Corporal Punishment, the self-hating Mutant leader, quickly cleaning up Halycon through use of lethal force and coercion to quell super crime in the city.

The playset was mainly to focus on the Modern Generation of heroes operating out of Mutant City. They would be a group of community focused, grass roots anti-fascist heroes that would be at odds with the government heroes, the centrist heroes trying to bring back the old status quo rather than something better, the elders in their community who bought into the model minority myth, cops, and other forces against progressive change.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Covok posted:

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1482079452121243648

HOT-BLOODED YOUTHS!

TENSE MELODRAMA!

SHONEN ACTION!

Join the fray in Friendship, Effort, Victory, a shonen battle manga tabletop roleplaying game. Inspired by works such as Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, My Hero Academia, and other battle manga, Friendship, Effort, Victory uses the acclaimed Powered By The Apocalypse Engine to deliver the flashy, dynamic battles and intense, climatic drama of those sensational works. 

• Choose from 11 classic archetypes to quickly and easily make your character. From the overly cheerful, friendmakers to the angsty, vengeful loners to the fiery, unpredictable rivals, your characters will feel like they would fit right into your favorite stories. 

• Friendship, Effort, Victory subtly guides players to the themes and key moments of classic battle manga by guiding conflict resolution with simple mechanics. 

• The dual health system keeps battles tense and emotional. Characters have the ability to buy off their physical damage by taking emotional damage in its place. Death only comes when a character chooses to accept its embrace. When that time comes, accepting death gives the character a burst of power and a second wind that ensures the hero goes out in a blaze of glory.

• No one is ever left out of the fight. In a genre known for amazing one-on-one battles, players may worry they could be left out. The spectating mechanics allows non-combatants to offer support to any match, even if they aren’t present for the scene. At any time, non-combatant can introduce how their character is interpreting the fight, giving characters bonuses, buffs, and debuffs as makes sense. 

• The Arcs, General, and Villain systems keep the world dynamic and the threats serious. The Arcs system manages many different threats the world faces due to the Villains mechaniations. The General and Villain system ensures that Villains never fall easily and keep the Sagas from ending too soon. Through the plot armor the Villain system provides, Villains always feel like a major threat. By making the Generals key to removing that plot armor and making the Villains vulnerable, stories grow horizontally. Instead of a mad dash to the Villain, heroes focus on their own matchups, knowing that their victories against the Generals take the team closer to ultimate victory. 

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1484189028824006659?s=20

I hope no one minds if I take a moment to announce that the PDF has dropped for Friendship, Effort, Victory!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Seems to be doing pretty well for its launch on DTRPG!

https://twitter.com/DriveThruRPG/status/1484318610247991298

Yeah, we actually got a shout out from the platform itself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/IAmPhophos/status/1484308147732828161

Apparently we are copper press #1?

Also, one of the project leads made this as well:

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1484332779387035653

Covok
May 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

It was way more boring before that. Like seriously way more boring.

One of my players is getting super annoyed at the rulebook. And I get it. So much of it is (a) way too conversational/jokey when they should be giving rules, (b) patting themselves on the back about how great a rules decision they made was, and/or (c) sparring with D&D 3.5 design philosophy and its fans in indirect ways - which hasn't aged well because nowadays nobody gives a gently caress about 3.5.

Tbf on that last point, you can port most of those arguments to 5e and no one would notice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since Archmage is OGL, if I thought it'd sell, I'd make an unofficial 2e that fixed all the lovely player facing rules and actually makes the Icon Rolls work.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/DudesnDiceDavao/status/1498288817400213510?s=20&t=TGiD7RFMxxZiuKSNYUzYuQ

Yo, look: someone's actual playing my game. Holy poo poo! This is friggin awesome.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I kind of want to run a few different games:

A One Piece game using Friendship, Effort Victory. I got some done on a playset. Might even test some 2e potential changes.

An Avatar Legends game set in the Roku era about people living on the cusp of the 100 Year War. Really love the stuff about the Fire Nation in the new official lore.

An Alien RPG game where it is set in the Alien Earth Hive timeline where a crew tries to survive on the outskirts of space on their ship while trying to survive in a post Earth Fall galaxy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, I want to see people wanted to review a game I published. I am not sure who to reach out to. I can provide free review copies. My discord is Covok#8950 and the game is Friendship, Effort, Victory, a shonen battle manga PBTA game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It amazes me how Marvel Heroic Roleplaying solved this issue by actually addressing it -- Big Powers are strong but weak powers are more likely to get you plot points and the disparity feels bigger than it actually is because it's such dice sizes in a pool -- and these guys come in with all that knowledge and gently caress it all up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Spelljammer announced

Covok
May 27, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I just wish Bioware would allow there to be a Mass Effect TTRPG, because it's a universe that allows for the best parts of both Star Trek and Star Wars.

There are so many options.

Mass Effect Apocalypse: https://mega.nz/folder/YstgAYDQ#4Ukt9vp6LlqwaYlgOxvR-g

Mass Effect d6: https://mega.nz/folder/soNCABxB#rA15PP9kz1eJcowtmq36tw

Mass Effect Fate: https://mega.nz/file/M81mgJCR#ZjGMJaePeRcy3x3UAkDzPaw4anA0flabncnBY2FkU-A

Mass Effect Genesys: https://mega.nz/file/45VgUDIa#G5qbRpdwhaa8zqbOw3bLneTi5vE_ezBqfg9inoCvAn8

Another Mass Effect Genesys: https://mega.nz/file/woUkBDoQ#UGmqD3aNgnzpMrlAyh26LL8oFojnndhY3sVblnx5tiQ

Mass Effect Fragges Empire: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/5x24ti/fragged_citadel_my_fragged_empire_mass_effect/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Mass Effect 5e: https://n7.world/

Mass Effect d20: http://www.jpvsgames.com/masseffectd20/

Mass Effect - Star Wars Saga: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?282956-SWSE-Mass-Effect-Saga-Edition

There might be more. I know there is a Cortex one somewhere based on the Firefly RPG.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Tales of Xadia is such a wonderful book. Thick, glossy, weighty. Gorgeous, full color art. Great layout. Great editing. Inclusiveness prioritized throughout. Good index. Lots of examples of play.

No loving ribbon. Makes me so mad.

Too bad Xadia is not a setting conductive to adventuring, in my opinion. Like it's a fun game for a setting that was made for one story.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I always wonder about BioWare's reasons for saying no. I know at least Green Ronin tried and they can't have been the only ones.

There was one that used Chronicles of Darkness (well, back then it was still nWoD) that was pretty good. I think it came out before even ME3 so I'm not sure how up to date it was.

https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Mass:_the_Effecting

Is this it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is there a thread where you can show your poo poo and ask how much money said poo poo might be worth?

Covok
May 27, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Are you talking about how much to sell your creations for, or how much to resell other's products that you no longer want?

I don't even want to sell them. I am just curious what these are worth.

Apparently alot according to Noble Knight: https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Star-Wars-WOTC-Saga-Edition

Covok
May 27, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Which is funny cause last time I tried to get Noble Knight to buy my stuff(including two of the books you have there) they gave me an insultingly low offer, like I get they have to make a profit but it was still stupid low

Well, they probably aren't gonna give me MSRP for it, ya know? If they're selling Threats Of The Galaxy at $110, I am not getting $110. But the out of stock stuff, who knows?

Not actually planning to sell, though. I thought I lost these books last night. And I mentioned they were out of print and my sister in law said they were probably worth a lot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

To put it in perspective I was trying to sell them at least ten books, they wanted to give me only $70 bucks for the whole pile, like I said that is an insult considering they were selling one of those for $110

drat, I didn't pick up on the fact some were the same books. That's low.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1545200831422676992?s=20&t=-ukxT-g_pNaqgd3FKDcGdA

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tulip posted:

its a good bundle, AW and Wanderhome are probably my 2nd and 3rd favorite rpgs of all time

Yep, it's an amazing bundle. There a lot of good in it. I was shouting out my own game being in it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

God, when Eclipse Phase 1 came out, I remember complaing about how the Jovians were unrealistic and mean spirited. Now, I realize that they were actually too idealistic when compared to the actual forces of conservatism.

I apologize for all the stupid poo poo I said defending Jovians on this forum.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 20, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1550704486972268545?s=20&t=33cay2CHq9RWh1HsDhN4Ew

Covok
May 27, 2013

If you liked my game Friendship, Effort, Victory, the shonen battle manga inspired Powered By The Apocalypse Tabletop RPG I have been mucking around with the idea of a campaign using an old setting I never got to used inspired by Bleach. It is based on Christian mythology. I tried to run a Valor game in it once, but it never got off the ground. Even if you don't care about the setting, I used this as a chance to put some alternate rules for Battle as a way of maybe testing out some ideas for a 2nd edition or supplement down the line.

The link is down below if you want to check it out yourself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1knPvyEqwq6cg_KAXHoPcokfaTvS9Cy17iz47rxg8Mhg/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

With the Essence20 release for Transformer not exactly setting the world on fire, what are the best games for Transformers?

There is Cartoon Action Hour Season 3, as a possibility, if you wanted to do G1. Speaking of which, is there any equivalent for CAH for 90s cartoons?

There is a pretty okay Genesys hack I saw once. An argument can also be made for Cortex.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

My favorite Transformers series are the IDW 2005 series (mainly Phase 2 onwards), Beast Wars, Transformers Animated, Transformers Armada, and Transformers Prime.

I want a series that handles the themes and gimmicks of Transformers. The episodic stories that bleed well into a background, serialized plot. Mechanics to handle the utility of the Transformations. The "buy new toys" element modeled as a way of handling new characters coming and going. Less emphasis on tactical combat and more on narrative combat.

In essence, I don't just want a game that is just like "here is some simulationist rules, have fun." I want something that tries to ape the tone and feel of the franchise.

Any suggestions?