Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
huff, puff, cat pictures???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

You can do dark souls combat, by stealing from WoW / FF:XIV raids. Place a large hitbox on the field, anyone in that hitbox will receive X amount of damage. They start to get more complex as the battle goes on. From what I understand most DND 4e battles don't go past turn 4 or 5, so you want to up the complexity fast. Maybe even open with the attack so that it can't be avoided the first time, and then place the hitbox down for the next time.

straight up, stealing 14 style AOE indicators is an easy way to add some dynamics to a fight. I got a lot of mileage in a 5e campaign all the way up through the final boss just out of stuff like "the flame jets on the LEFT HALF of the arena start to flare up, looks like bad news in about a round!" or "the giant flesh ball is slowly approaching you and forcing you closer to the cliffs edge" or "the boss summons a bunch of crystals that will each cast a spell if they still exist in a round"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
never played an rpg session in person. how would you even handle the tokens and the music. weird boomer poo poo imo

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hyphz posted:

Activities of all kinds being portrayed as fantasy versions of what they really are is a modern plague.

people shouldn't publicly be funny or charismatic while doing my hobbies

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no like they're playing a ttrpg but get paid and do better voices

like if I go to the park to play soccer with friends I am fundamentally still playing the same sport a professional player is, I'm just not as good at it and don't dedicate time to it in the same way

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hell I take back "better" even, just the better voice acting and being able to prioritize stuff

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
like I think the worst you can level at popular APs is that they bring a lot of people into the hobby that want their games to be more like the ones they see on their favorite shows, which generally means a lot of in-character roleplaying and interpersonal drama.

However this is the kind of game I like, so it's a good thing imo.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my gm style is the best one

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

Quick, you have ten minutes to make a character concept for a fantasy RPG. Where do you go to find a portrait? Is there a repository people around here use?

Pinterest, no question

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
iirc he also pissed his pants during that video and his parents were there and were insulting him

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah I hope that crazy thing isn't true either

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hyphz posted:

It's just another thing that ties into the weird social position of the GM, where they're expected to facilitate the activity but also create the desire for it as well in order to facilitate it. It's like being a wedding planner except you also have to get the couple together and convince them to get married so that the wedding happens to plan it.

no

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
there was an entire discord made to give hyphz normal people to talk about ttrpgs with and to play games with so he could see that it is possible to play an rpg and it ended with hyphz getting banned from the discord made for him

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Weird random question : when do you think number of people who knew a vancian magic system eclipsed number of people who were familiar with Vance’s books? Ignoring the name “vancian” for the question, just the system.

Early 80’s?

I didn't know there was a dude named vance

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
remember the what now

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Crappy gameplay that is saved by the fanbase fervor alone? Sounds like Dark Souls all right!

that's actually you're switched off monitor

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ngl all the issues people are having with invoking your backstory seem like issues that exist only on forums where people talk about theoretical weird tables. im the failed knight im gonna impose myself between the ruffians and those travelers. im the princess without a kingdom lemme navigate this complex social situation or know how to hide a knife on a fancy gown to this dicey political get together. easy

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if people do it in a weird metagamey way or a way that stretches the fiction you just say "ehhh nah not buyin' it" and the problem is solved

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hyphz posted:

You can add a bunch more mooks to deal with the situation, but it tends to just move the problem later, and can make the player feel redundant if they know that's what's happened.

the only reason there are any enemies or conflict at all is because the players showed up to play. by this line of reasoning, players ought to realize that the enemy only exists because of them, and efficiently deal with the issue by not playing

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hyphz posted:

Yes, but it misses out a bunch of stuff about them.

Even if people are going to say "oh god don't pay attention to Hyphz's group", you can see that (for example) Extinction Curse has a con that the circus mechanics aren't very good, with a note that "this applies to most subsystems in Adventure Paths". But there is no similar con listed on the other adventure paths that introduce subsystems.

c'mon man

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Countblanc posted:

That's me, and I don't even play pbta games!

this forum has a lot of that lol

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Nessus posted:

Rightly or wrongly it is a stumbling block, and I know people who flat refuse any PBTA game because they were disgusted by the sex moves in AW. Hardcoded, full stop, don't bring it up or I'll be upset rejection. The entire constellation is dead to them.

i empathize with this worldview, because i'm the exact same way except with italian food and an annoying guy i knew in middle school

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

whydirt posted:

AW’s sex moves aren’t any weirder than the rampant encouragement of murder and violence in D&D

(everyone at the table getting mad at me because i won't stop getting horny) and yet you didn't blink twice when you struck down those bandits! who's really "making everyone uncomfortable" here??

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
some of the earliest dice based games have a really nasty history behind them.....will be abstaining from the family yahtzee game

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
getting mad at @everyone is performative. you're fine

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've seen a lot of people cringe at the idea.

(person who pretends to be an elf as a hobby voice) they do video? yikes lol kinda lame. i know what the acronym OSR means

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
do not post stories in this thread

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Splicer posted:

You're confusing rigorously and extensively. D&D has never been rigorously anythinged.

Yes, it is indeed fine. I love gritty number simulator systems as much as I love weird freeform bullshit. The problem isn't just that using the big 6 is unimaginative, it's that the specific traits of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma are a poor way of representing a character's traits even within the specific subgenre that they fit into.

Strength and Constitution are two halves of the same stat from both a utility sense and a fictional archetype sense. The entire social system is siloed behind a single talking-to-people stat. The only reason Int is superior to Strength is because Int powers Wizards, making it either a god stat or a dump stat with no middle ground. Dexterity and Wisdom are role model ability scores meaning they're viewed as "problems" that need to be "fixed" because grognards would rather apply crab bucket mentality to abstract concepts rather than admit something they liked when they were 12 was maybe kinda bad.

An RPG using the big 6 is like a person wearing an NFT hoodie. It could mean a lot of things but absolutely none of those things are "I should engage with this person". Best case scenario is you run into them later and find out they've grown out of it. Given we're on the... third? "without numbers" I don't think that's going to happen.

wearing an nft hoodie is actually fairly different from a popular set of rpg stats you dislike

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I see your taste is about as good as your understanding of analogies.

Are you familiar with the flag of wales

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this wasn't as fun as when people got super flustered over baldurs gate 3 bear sex

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think she looks nice. the other two look violent

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that warrior ability really does seem to function as "for one resource, get anywhere you can see without difficulty at level 1" which is some pretty dang versatile options

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if you are in the ttrpg and aren't 100% plugged into everything the CR people are doing....something is wrong with you morally

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

PuttyKnife posted:

I can see that for Continuing Resolutions if you’re into government work but for Critical Role?

D&D is boring and there’s an infinity of weird rear end games out there worth trying out.

Morally, you’re obligated to explore the space.

no. its a huge red flag and very sus

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i dont trust any vocab that got invented on a forum or blog

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
whats the proper MLA format for citing a forum post

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The d20 is a tainted dice with fascist implications

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://twitter.com/producerlizz/status/1778079943806652707?t=glfBK2zovr6XyTzeGCI5TA&s=19

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the modern tome of horrors is friggin disneyland....i remember the naddpod crew did like a 12 hour livestream of playing and then didn't even lose a pc. soft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
gonna say thats never been the way ive pictured people playing old d&d modules