Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
This is probably applicable to a bunch of threads, but I adapted the solo play rules from Issue 458 of White Dwarf and mixed them with Scarlet Heroes to make old school D&D statblocks out of the Nighthaunt. Behold: Old School Sigmar: Nighthaunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Trad Games Chat: It's Still Technically Trad Games If We're All Writing Like George R.R. Martin

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Jimbozig posted:

??? But GRRM doesn't write...

No, but he does e a t

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

LatwPIAT posted:

The decade-long period of rationing during and immediately after WWII killed British cuisine. Not only did the "institutional" knowledge of how to make certain things disappear with a near-decade of disuse, but entire cheese cultures died out completely and permanently because nobody could make that kind of cheese during rationing.

I've read so much 2021 poo poo pumping through my loving veins lately that somehow THIS was the saddest thing I've read today. The fascist arc of history really does wipe out everything it touches, huh?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

aldantefax posted:

I dunno if it is in poor taste to go and flex but I just updated the how to run some games thread with a bunch more dumbass words and that felt pretty alright, but all this talk about lemoncakes made me want to tug at my braid while scowling and get some late night snack. Or was that Robert Jordan?

Pretty sure that's GRRM. Reminds me of the bit from MST3k Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders: "The man with the receding hairline puttered around the kitchen for a bit and got himself a cold drink."

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tknyarlathotep/every-god-will-fall-for-mork-borg

my new morkus borkus is up

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Final 12 hours of my Morkus und Borgus Kickstarter for EVERY GOD WILL FALL.

We're at $661, which is almost a metal number!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I genuinely super like this game and where it falls on the narrative-to-cromch scale, you should check it out if you want a good Supers game that's decently mechanical but not bloated.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

If anyone follows my stuff or Mork Borg stuff or even OSR stuff in general, my book of d8 Supernatural Hirelings, EVERY GOD WILL FALL, is shipping some physical copies Monday. 8 pages, full color, totally gameable (or so I've been told). Get yourself a copy! (Also include your address in the paypal in case that's not obvious) https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1389846977303752704?s=20

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I ran some regular adventurers through A Wizard and a couple of them died, but they figured out very quickly it was a horror adventure and not a traditional dungeon crawl, and ultimately they triumphed over the evil bastard. Being mad that it's lethal is like being mad that a Call of Cthulhu monster kills investigators.

I ran some Godbound through A Wizard and they shredded it. It was very satisfying.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

lmao @ "if you run the interesting, flavorful adventure in an interesting, flavorful way rather than just copying old Gary Gygax GM advice columns, you might as well play something that isn't the interesting, flavorful adventure. you RUBE. you absolute MORON."

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

hyphz posted:

That is decidedly bad writing, though. On a read-through, I had assumed that character did instantly die if they were left alone in a room with the wizard (although the wizard is not automatically present if a PC is left alone), but not that they were instantly killed by killing a wizardling (although the argument that "..the wizard will kill them" is not a statement of future intent since he was always planning to do that anyway is understandable).

Nobody is forcing anybody to run A Wizard, much less run A Wizard the specific way that the book (allegedly) demands. If you don't like it and your brain can't find a workaround for the parts you don't like, run something you do like instead. Nobody "ran it wrong" because they didn't get married to the rules as written.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

hyphz posted:

Fair point, but the author's responsibility for the playability of what they have written is non-zero. It's also worth bearing in mind that a big positive factor of Tomb of Horrors was the shared experience.

I mean I'll have it both ways, in that I think most people are arguing that A Wizard is both well-written and playable, and that Tomb of Horrors is also that because it's specifically intended to be like it is and is a massive departure from almost every other scenario written at that time, much like A Wizard is.

For all that gets touted about the ubiquity of nega-dungeons, it seems mostly that LotFP makes them. Hell, A Wizard AND Tomb of Horrors probably aren't nega-dungeons, there's a way to win them and more ways around them than simply "show up, get hosed up by the """"plot""", then die, probably having made the world worse".

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Yo wouldn't Ironsworn make for a fuckin sick Glorantha engine

eta: Iron: It's what Law is made of and there's an impossibly large block of it crushing the devil in Mad Max Land.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

whydirt posted:

Is Ernie the one who basically said his dad was super abusive and would feed him alcohol while still underage?

P sure that was Luke, who afaik is problematic but is, at the very least, not involved in this shitshow.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Yesterday I want live with EVERY GOD WILL FALL: The Sticker Set!

I've got eight sticker designs based on the zany li'l boys from my book EVERY GOD WILL FALL for Mork Borg. EVERY GOD WILL FALL is a d8 "table" of eight supernatural hirelings with pretensions, delusions, destinies, or mistaken identities of godhood. They're good for pretty much any OSR game where you can befriend weird little dudes!

You can also get the book for just $2.00 in PDF by clicking here for a special DriveThruRPG discount. Huzzah!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Oh cool, the SCP RPG is finally out

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Drone posted:

Isnt this thematically just Delta Green

[REDACTED]

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ettin posted:

Any idea how it is? I was put off by the KS and how soon it went on sale after release but the reviews on DriveThruRPG seem to be pretty good :v:

Oh I was riffing on the TYOV book that was all blanked out lmao

I'd honestly use the old The Laundry CoC-based RPG for SCP. Doing paperwork for the time you nearly got your head twisted off by a malevolent statue of a baby seems perfectly in tone, although SCP has so many monkeys at typewriters if it has a tone to consider, it's "yes".

The average dungeon fan, the chad dragons enjoyer

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I caped for Zweihander for years and once I stopped being profitable he screenshotted me to subtweet at his thousands of followers so Blackbirds could change the very nature of the roleplaying industry and I'd still tell it to gently caress off.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the answer to "in Gygax's conception, Lawful Good is genocidal tyrants and Chaotic Good is libertarians" is not to simply erase it, but to lean into those factions just being vaguely angelic- and fey-flavored villains. get all Final Fantasy on that poo poo

similarly anyone who looks at Modrons and thinks "this should simply be discarded and forgotten about" is just wrong

These young people could not agree more

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Asterite34 posted:

This line of discussion is straying dangerously close to the premise of the Gex the Gecko games

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

y'all look what i fuckin found

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Len posted:

They also have a Drizzt one

It's just a smidge problematic

Didn't Netflix remove an episode of Community over a Drow costume

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I really like Khan of Khans from Chaosium. It's not even that impenetrable to non-Glorantha fans!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Here is fine, you could also be looking for The Game Writing Workshop

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Instead of the pee room what about a bee room

Throw in some candyman impressions too

I wish Candyman's dialogue wasn't so creepy because it is so much fun to say in a bad impression of his voice.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

BrainParasite posted:

Hallucinogenic piss is a real thing

We've all read Exalted.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Trad Games Chat: i didnt peepee! i';m not a little piss boy!!!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

this tangent will surely go down in pisstory

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Rolling into the holidays a little slimmer than I'd like to be, wallet-wise, so I've got a Sale and a Reverse Sale running to get me some Christmas presents of my own:

If you're a big MORK BORG fan, you can't go wrong with the Beer Money Borg Bundle on DriveThruRPG, containing everything I've done for Mork Borg so far at a convenient $7.77 price point. This is the fast and cheap option and likely to get me some brewskis so I can prevent myself from throttling my uncle who only leaves his den for the holidays and spends the rest of his time playing video games and being rude to his wife.

If you want to feed my very expensive and foolhardy consumerist lifestyle, I'm running the I Need $150 More To Buy The Three Newest Age Of Sigmar Battletomes Reverse Sale, formerly the Formerly the I Need $125 To Buy The Three Newest Age Of Sigmar Soulbound Books Reverse Sale, I reached that goal and am exceedingly bad at math so don't look too deeply into the name, okay! Everything I sell is now 50% more expensive on Itch.io, or you can get it all for the opposite of a bargain but cheaper than buying individually for $100. This will give me books to curate delicious lore and make my Soulbound table yet more enthused with the ways of their tumultuous lives.

If you can help make my Christmas a merry one filled with consumption both Capitalist and Alcoholic (and possibly Old Timey Prospector if I drink way too much), I'd super appreciate it. Otherwise happy assorted holidays and do something nice for someone, okay???

Skeleton drinking beer included for my gratification and your attention.

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 22, 2021

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

A friend of mine is trying *really* hard to start an Eclipse Phase campaign and this conversation just backs up my decision to not want to play :B

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

"this is why our dumb racist superhero game that's only on the list because a) it's new, and b) spamming purchases by morons who don't play RPGs is in the top ten instead of your game"

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 31, 2022

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Arivia, you're a silly goose, but dog-loving defense is a new one from you.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

We are trapped in the belly of this horrible alignment chart

And the alignment chart is bleeding to death

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Plutonis posted:

None of this poo poo is canon or relevant after the crisis reboot #300 so why care

"writing isn't relevant because a corporation dictated that it didn't happen in a continuity that is simpatico the current one"

Next they'll say Watchmen isn't relevant because it doesn't take place in the mainline DCU.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Arivia posted:

I would strongly recommend NOT looking up the place of Watchmen in current DC continuity.

jesus christ.

murder the concept of canon, it matters less than literally anything else in a given story.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Is it even an apocalypse if there are survivors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Okay people are talking about the math definition but the Degenerate alignment in that crap game explicitly calls out that enjoying "gaudy art" is degenerate, why are we entertaining this notion