Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I'm hype for a hundred zillion awkward swooping closeups of MS Paint faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Me hearing the explanation of the enemy that knocks you back in the same direction it knocks itself back in, without any invincibility frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfTLNUsqRc

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Something I find wild about this game is that literally EVERY SINGLE SCREEN has unique music. Even the screens you are on for 5 seconds tops have a music track made for them that plays nowhere else.

It's like they played two hours of various B-list NES platformers, then set out to make the best game they could with no further idea of what a good video game entails

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

elentar posted:

that is authorblues, he is a gem

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
A hand mirror is thrown at a doorway hard enough to shatter the casing and the glass. Link walks through that door nonchalatnly 0.1 seconds later looking like he's had six drinks and a joint and just goes "hey what's happening"

Hyrule knows how to party

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Good.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I vaguely recall that KQ8 is considered The Bad One but I don't remember why

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This came out in the same year as Half-Life

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
pre:
BUT.....
  GRANDPA BEE IS STILL 
                CAPTURED.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This actually seems like a pretty legit speed game

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Maybe I am not being super observant but what about this game is, like, awful? It looks like an extremely serviceable licensed game, nothing about it seems particularly jank.

So far we've had two hilariously bad games, two normal kinda bad games and a game that's ridiculous on purpose

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Okay this awful block feels like a fever dream again, I was worried for a bit there

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Suddenly this game makes me think of Xavier: Renegade Angel

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

This game has so much good stuff in it! What is up with all these Actually Good games in the Awful Block this year?

The first few levels look genuinely miserable to play but then it gradually turns into an experimental indie project circa 2011 with a AAA budget

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
You pester a fifty year old high school junior until he gives you liquid ammonia so you can turn a giant eyeball back into a child

This game was designed by a Markov chain

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Now we've emerged from a Cronenberg/R-TYPE flesh dungeon into a distinctly bombed-out looking cityscape, and back down into some caves

This would be very harrowing and evocative but I have a hunch it's all just whatever they felt like creating that day, thrown together in no particular order

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

.... Trump had a twitch account?

They removed PogChamp because the guy in the picture has gone full blown chud crazy

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This is more convoluted than the plot

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Megalovania is only the third song in this set :stare:

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Couch and host are in Banter Mode at the end of the marathon and I'm here for it

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
If I'd seen the whole thing I wouldn't know either, beyond "Pokemon Gen 1 allows ACE and is glitchy even aside from that"

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This is the kind of run where the file name has to be specific gibberish, buckle up

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I got as far as "the rock gets removed from memory but link is still holding it, letting you do something or other" and then my vision started swimming and I spoke with my ancestors

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
The angle finding tool is a divining rod. He stands in a circle of Lego candles that look like the candle from Zelda 1 and it levitates and points the way

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Tiler Kiwi posted:

in the code link is not holding a rock, he is holding an address where rock lives. rock got evicted at a bad time because the game thought the rock was very far away. but link still had an address to SOMETHING UNDEFINED (evil, evil, evil). it turned out to be a bush, but not really a bush, but the game really wanted to treat it like a bush and in doing so it overwrote a pointer/address on the not-bush with link's angle data, and when the not-bush's pointer was called by the code that thought it was a real bush to rotate and be drawn it for a single frame, due to the data about links angle and file name data being identical to an address to a different bit of code that when run caused links data to get overwritten by the debug file, gave link everything in the game.

its very wicked and sinful

I've only done amateur tinkering but I guess this is why <null> is an object type, instead of being null in a more literal sense. Terrifying vistas of reality Man was not meant to behold, etc.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

French Accent posted:

as much as i like oot, its optimized runs have become a story of manipulating data to get to the end. this wasn't really finale worthy but at least i still got wowed by some of the new tricks.

Pokemon Gen 1 arbitrary code is a tough act to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
This guy wins the GDQ raid lottery and decides what he needs to do is eat as much spicy jerky as possible to hurt his mouth, and now he's speedrunning and groaning in pain. This guy loving rules