Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Getting in on the ground floor bottom block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Khanstant posted:

is there a nude mod with full penne yet or is the modding scene dead?

Wrong thread? Pretty sure nobody cares about block penis.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

taiyoko posted:

I also found that for whatever reason, 1.16 packs run like absolute garbage with java 8 (which I kept around for 1.12 and older packs). The only way I've gotten ATM6 working with a playable framerate was to install java 14. (And my tolerance for "playable" is pretty low, this was like single-digit fps even with 8 GB of ram and with the jvm tuning that works great with 1.12.)

Wait, Java is on 14? The latest version I can see for download, that isn't the JDK, is 8 (aka 1.8u271).

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Halibut Barn posted:

They changed how Java is distributed after 8. There's no more generic JRE package since apps are now supposed to bundle their own runtime pieces, so if you want the same kind of generic for-whatever Java environment as before, you do have to get the JDK.

Well gently caress.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

taiyoko posted:

It was a thing I found on reddit, using the openjdk hotspot release and the arguments
code:
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseZGC

This works, but I am getting some nasty lagspikes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Devor posted:

The only negative I see here is if the randomise_seed flag is set to false, which means everyone sees the same loot in each chest, which means one person finds a chest full of diamonds, then they can advertise "hey this chest has 28 diamonds in it" that each new player gets to dupe, which is kinda lovely gameplay.

Of course, the solution to that is to set that flag to true.

On the other hand, if you WANT a chest to contain specific loot...that might be useful to leave set false? If you can set the chests to have specific loot, even better.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

isndl posted:

From what I can understand that's probably because Forge hasn't bothered to reimplement whatever the modders were using in 1.12.

There was some other thing that the Forge devs just didn't bother to reimplement...oh yeah.

TELLING YOU WHICH loving MOD WAS THE WRONG VERSION OR MISSING WHEN YOU TRY TO CONNECT TO A SERVER. The information still exists, you just have to go digging for it in the debug.log.

All the new fuckery in where configs are (client vs. server vs WORLD) is Forge's fault too, apparently they decided that making everything MORE DIFFICULT was COOL AND GOOD.

I cannot wait for more poo poo to make the jump to Fabric and leave the rickety bucket of gently caress behind.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eox posted:

Yeah that's the forge devs switching how everything works for no discernible reason, as they've spent the last decade or so slowly disappearing up their own asses. Things that used to be completely configurable like Cyclic are now in three parts that each have a tenth of the options.

The JSON poo poo really fucks me off, if I'm learning javascript I'd prefer to be learning it for something useful.

It's one part Forge devs disappearing up their own asses (client, common, server, and WORLD configs) to one part dealing with Mojang arbitrarily deciding that EVERYTHING IS NOW JSON

That said, please someone port Create to Fabric so Forge can gently caress off and die forever.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 2, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OgNar posted:

One of the guys that does tutorials for MC mods said hes holding off on Create for awhile because its being changed/upgraded again.

AKA it's under active development. Unlike some mods.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

StealthArcher posted:

I should steal the source somehow and get a second minecraft lawsuit

You could probably download it from GitHub?

E: It's really disheartening to find out that loving Player of all goddamn people is working on Fabric and to have a situation where the two big modloaders are run by raging shitheads. Player being transphobic is just a dollop of rancid milk on a poo poo sandwich.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 5, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Well. "people with pluralities" is certainly a new term.

It used to be "multiple personality disorder".

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It does seem to be open-source, the challenge is getting rid of Player without him nuking the project.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

hi i'm working on my animism mod again. i have different ideas this time but some of the core motivations are the same. i still suck at art tho

Regarding the client/server/world thing I wasn't even aware of it being a thing so it's certainly not something that is clearly exposed to mod devs. The datagen system has a client/server distinction but so far I've only seen people using it to skip generating language files and models on the server side, or skip generating recipes on the client side (since you get the server-specific recipes when you connect anyway). There is still a culture of premature micro-optimization, so that could be it too. "We could save 100kb on our pack download size by not distributing the recipes with the client!" seems a little silly to me when the pack is hundreds of mb, but people think about that kind of stuff.

Forge devs have also been beating a drum about an upcoming feature about hot swapping of mods, so I think the plan is to have it so you can connect to servers with *different modlists* and load/unload mods accordingly. Who knows when/if that will actually happen though. I suspect some of the ??? is seeing stuff being added in anticipation of that.

It'd be nice if Forge didn't insist on rebuilding some huge cache file every time you launch the game.

Frankly a pack ought not be that large if it's being distributed through Curseforge unless it has an absolutely huge pile of custom resources. I just hate how fricking everything is JSON now and how counterintuitive it can be to do something as simple as adding a recipe. Sure, it's nice that you can do that without third-party mods, but oh my god the loving JSON formatting is just the WORST.

Would like to hear more about your animism mod, though.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

{
"ingredients" : [
[ { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" } ],
[ { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "gemEmerald" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" } ],
[ { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" } ]
],
"result" : {
"registryName" : "powersuits:tile.tinkerTable"
}
},

This is basically what Minecraft uses now, though you'd be calling "tag":"ingotIron" rather than oreDict entries.

Clairetic posted:

* you can make charcoal on a campfire now. also you can burn charcoal on a campfire to get ash.
* you can combine salt (or maybe ash?) with gunpowder (for early game rarity) to make various magical dusts:

Technically, you'd use the (pot) ash in combination with some natural source of nitric acid, like bat guano, to make gunpowder...but I see where you're going with this in general. I'd say maybe combine the gunpowder with some kind of powdered magical plant (or lapis lazuli, since it's used for enchanting already.)

It sounds like a lot of what you want to do is primitivist in nature so I'd say poke around the various youtube channels for that and see what sticks out to you?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

I can't believe I'm going to make another poop mod.

It doesn't have to be gunpowder, that was just a suggestion I had early on for a way to make it so it's not trivially abundant and the expenditure carries some weight. And well, gunpowder definitely interacts with fire, so there's an obvious connection there.

I have indeed been poking around primitivist channels and blogs and so on, at least for the 'early game survival alternatives' aspect.

Magical plants are definitely a possibility, but I would need a way for players to get access to them without necessarily forcing them to traverse hundreds of kilometers of Huge Biomes to find a flower forest or whatever. Maybe by various crop interactions...

Crop interactions make sense. Maybe specific patterns of crops, like doing a checkerboard of potatoes and wheat does one thing, a bullseye of carrots and potatoes gives you a more different magic plant...

Bonus points if the getting of the magic plant involves a spirit visibly coming by, noticing the plants, and doing something to magicify them so they drop the magic plant while also giving out their normal drops.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

I love these concepts and I'm thinking about how to implement them. How exactly do you go about befriending a tree spirit? I was thinking about having 'minor tree spirits' as something you could conjure with campfire dust & dancing that would cause branches to drop from nearby trees, but that seems a little weird and easy to miss bits that just fall in a forest without any indication.

Maybe various actions like using bone meal and water on the soil, planting fungi...?

And is there going to be a spirit for *every* tree, or just some of them?

Befriend a tree spirit - a dryad or hamadryad, if you like - by improving their environment? Giving them fertilizer and water is a good start, maybe clearing away any random-genned "diseased" plants, planting flowers near them...

Hell, just spending time nearby. I think a spirit for every tree would be too many. Maybe one tree spirit for every 2x2 or 3x3 chunks?

Clairetic posted:

I was thinking at least for weapons, shovels, axes, etc. - bone might make a suitable substitute for stone, especially if it's abundant due to animals dropping them.

The earth spirit shovel is a really neat idea. I wonder if there's a way to make it fit into the progression earlier without necessarily having to have access to binding or even seeing.

Bone, magically hardened wood, maybe some kind of ceramic sword/armor...

An earth spirit shovel could be made before binding or seeing as some kind of simple ritual, maybe the player spills a little blood and milk on the ground and a friendly local earth spirit materializes itself as the shovel?

I love the idea of a scare-creeper statue that you keep fueled with charcoal (that lasts a good proper long while) and water, which could then act as an anchor for Cat Spirits in the future.

For nomadic stuff, I love how Nomadic Tents handles their function - you place the tent down and bap the blocks with a hammer, then you get what's effectively a TARDIS to nap in.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

do not play new horizons first

Or do, we're not your parent.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

Why the gently caress did this happen and why isn't the minecraft modding community more "torches and pitchforks" with this?

It happened because capitalism, and the other option would be like...Technic, which the main modloader devs don't like because grr, argh, goons.

Eox posted:

I've seen people in discords who are overjoyed at more revenue for modders and pack makers via unskippable ads in the launcher, so to a certain extent the community deserves this

Gotta get those adfly pennies.

It'd be nice if Nexus had Minecraft mod hosting. At least they don't suck.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

I forgot to mention this but I think half of minecraft modding drama is "grr argh goons" I think?

There's a comic about this...

Clairetic posted:

Still chewing on the ideas and trying some implementations. Vanilla's pathfinding system is labyrinthine and more than half obfuscated still. Some of the Forge patches that would make it easy to do what I want are decrepit and obsolete. I guess I get to see how long it takes for them to review a tiny and self-evident pull request.

I suspect CurseForge got the Bezos Stare.

The 'arrgh goons' thing I think was mostly about intellectual property claims and adfly pennies anyway, because goons basically pioneered the idea of a tailored modpack for distribution and that meant people weren't going to 15 sites and watching ads at each one to get everything they needed to play on their friend's server. FTB's meteoric rise was through (badly, at first) copying technic's model and marketing itself entirely on 'we're the ones that ASKED PERMISSION first!' as if IP and consent have anything in common.

The money is a nice bonus for a hobby project but it's definitely not enough to live on, even if you're one of the top downloaded. CurseForge probably shells out around $300 a month in Amazon funbucks to the JEI and JourneyMap teams.

Not anymore, they don't! :D

The rest of this post is correct, up to and including that one time CovertJaguar tried to sue StealthArcher.

E: I had a wild thought about your pritivism mod. What if you could learn to see spirits by doing hallucinogenics? Modify pufferfish to not give you nausea but othersight, add the same effect to uncooked white mushrooms and some kind of chopped cactus?

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 12, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

I actually was leaning really heavily in this direction back in the day, but people expressed concerns about like, the fact that possibly 80% of the audience is children whose parents might take issue with it. So I want to do it but it might have to be abstracted out a little bit into 'potions' and 'infusions' so it doesn't look too much like real world drug use. That's part of the reason I was thinking about ways to cook and stew stuff over a campfire - I had a 'tea kettle' item (which has been supplanted by clay pots due to the overworld focus) for brewing those sorts of ingredients into magical tea/juice.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be directly eating hallucinogens. :D

Brewing mushrooms/pufferfish/cactus slices into Magic Tea is sane. I was thinking more along the lines of how some tribal societies use/d them, y'know?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

i'm banned from forge discord :( for, i think, mod sass maybe. or commenting on a topic that a mod brought up. or saying something that's 'common sense'. idk. it's not clear at all.

You contravened the great, powerful, all-mighty, all-knowing LexManos or something.

You can also get banned from there for, like, @mentioning people even though that's not against the rules.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is anybody else generally interested in a GT:NH server? Mr.Boofu's server will go down soon, and it's basically down to me and Faldoncow. We've slowed down quite a bit but we'd keep it up with our slower pace if there were other people generally around. We're trying to figure out if we want to migrate the server's save state to a new instance when the service expires.

Depending on how much RAM GTNH asks for (it's 1.7.10?) I could host it on a bit of the Disasterpiece crew's hardware. Our other throwback server - some wacky super saiyan thing - seems to mostly be uninhabited of late.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is the research path to bottled taint anyways? I think I saw that the bucket of liquid death is a pre-req, but I can't even get that to come up yet.

I can act like it's no skin off my back to just use somebody else's hardware, but then the question becomes whether or not you're just hosting a dead server instead. That isn't fair though.

:shrug: I'm putting the option out there, is all. We've got a little wiggle room to host stuff that "sleeps" when nobody is on, and if it's a couple people grinding on GTNH it'll be a blip compared to the ~12GB our mainline server is likely to want.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ash Rose posted:

Looking for a pack where I can just turn my brain off and build up tech and automate and does not have IC2 or Greg, tried Sky Factory and I kinda despise the trees as well as the locking stuff behind prestige.

lmao good luck everything is greg

maybe play in peaceful mode with Create?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You will submit to the greg and you will like it

I will not.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone know anything about server hosting? Or if SA even has that many goons who'd be interested who aren't on another server already? I was thinking of paying money to get an ATM6 server up and going, but I don't know enough about SA to think I'd get people playing, or if their recommended host (Akliz) is good. I like Minecraft, but I like it better when I log-in and see people making stuff / can show people I'm making stuff.

I've not used Akliz, but server hosting is pretty straightforward on a VPS. I use MCPH and they're pretty good.

ATM6 you're probably going to spend upwards of $60/mo on for hosting - every mod you add increases the RAM your server will need in order to run well, and a pack that is "literally all the mods" is going to need a lot of RAM.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Craft to Exile: Dissonance is remarkably good, and if you're like to play it with goons there's a server up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969327

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ash Rose posted:

Do you have advice on rebinding the spell keys? because shift+ 1-5 is completely unworkable in a combat situation.

I use 1-5 with 6 as my bar swap

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

If anyone has some extra brainpower to lend me, I'd appreciate it.

A server is crashing, but the cause is a mystery. The crash log shows it's a JSON file which it attempts to load during the version checking process, directly after OpenLoader, but I don't know how to tell which JSON file the server thinks is malformed or where said file is located.

Logs: https://gist.github.com/dragonshardz/55289449df12d49396d0a4b6106c2004

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The logs I posted are crash + debug + latest. Most complete set I can possibly manage. Usercache and whitelist jsons were valid, ops was corrupt so I deleted it but same issue so I gave up for the day.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

well, i figured out what was causing the Modern Magicka server to crash. the ban list and op list JSONs were all corrupted.

now when i press start on the server, it reaches a point where the copypaste mod validates and updates files in the world.............for a long time.

new and fun problems, whee

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dragomorph posted:

Yeah, I figured hosting from home was a bit of a no-go. Which leaves finding a hosting service. Is there any good one that would at least only force me to bind for three months rather than a year or four?

Most hosting services will bill you per month. I generally recommend mcprohosting.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I wish more mods had the overall grasp of both aesthetic and purpose that Create does.

The mod really feels like someone had a long, careful think about it from start to finish.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a way to turn minecraft into factorio?

Create is a start.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sex Robot posted:

Where do you guys go looking for servers that aren't poo?

PGS is pretty thin on the ground at the moment in as much as I get the MC itch once a year and I actually want to play something beyond 1.12.

Come hang out on the goons.cx Discord (https://discord.gg/goonscx) - we have a couple servers going at any one time, though one is down for maintenance at the moment.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clarence posted:

What sort of server hosting is recommended for a server with <10 users, with a modpack of some sort installed? We're considering setting something up to play as a family (four of us) but I'd like a bit of extra headroom in case the kid's friends want to join in sometimes. The cost differences mostly seem to be related to the amount of RAM provided.

Pretty much every hosting service is going to give you a VPS unless you specifically pay for a physical dedicated machine. The amount of RAM you'll need will vary depending on what modpack you're going to run - something that's light, like a Fabric-based pack with a few quality-of-life mods, will need much less RAM than something hilariously heavy like ATM...whatever number they're on.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What are the threads thoughts on The Between Lands and the Better Minecraft modpack?

I assume they can't be combined because between lands is 1.12 and Better Minecraft is 1.65

I presume you meant 1.16.5, and you are correct, you can't load mods for 1.12 in 1.16.5.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

drat, guess I'm just so used to big mods with no documentation that I expected it to be an impenetrable learning experience. It's a refreshing change of pace when a mod includes its own path to learning.
I'll look around then, thanks. Of course if anyone has any pack recommendations with Create I'm still open to suggestion.

Come play Wizardly: https://discord.gg/goonscx

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm running a decently large (not SUPER big but still kinda big) mod list and I've noticed it's absolutely melting my CPU. I have no idea why but any time I load a new chunk I instantly drop to like 2fps. Are there any mods that can mitigate this somehow? I don't even know which mod would be causing it but I think it might just be a setting I accidentally turned on or something.

How many mods do you have, and how much RAM did you let Minecraft access? Worldgen (generating new map) is kind of a pig in vanilla to begin with; depending on the mods you added, you might be asking the local server to generate EVEN MORE poo poo and if there's not enough RAM, it'll slow to a crawl as it uses your swapfile for extra space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

tfw you're 60% through a modpack and realize it's being carried by Nazis.

did you even read the thread though