Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So I've mostly been an Enigmatica 2: Expert player for a while now, but I've recently been dipping my toes into Nomifactory and FTB: Interactions, and I have a lot of fun with Gregtech's weird interlocking systems and such. But there's one thing about them I loving hate: Power generation. Both mods railroad you into a very narrow power generation progression in a way that I really dislike, and frequently I find that doing the next thing is stymied by the mod saying, "Nope, gently caress your generator, everything is locked until you make the next barely-sufficient thing". I prefer E2:E's multiple power generation systems that let you build multiple systems in parallel - I'll typically have Environmental solars, Mekanism wind/bioreactors/ethylene burners, an Extreme Reactor and a Mekanism fusion reactor all working in tandem together. Is there any Gregtech-based modpack that gives you a little more freedom in power generation, or should I just poke around with FTB:I/Nomifactory configs and mods to get a result I want? I'm pretty used to loving around with modpacks to get the experience I want, so I'm not a newbie to that.

Also anybody else primarily playing 1.12.2 mods who misses some of the 1.7.10 stuff? If I could bring Chromaticraft and Thaumcraft 4 forward to 1.12.2 I could build myself exactly the pack I want, but I know neither will ever happen.

/edit: I suppose un-nerfing Nuclearcraft's reactors could go a long way in making Nomifactory power gen less arduous.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

At least early game I went in and hit some massive cheats to make things less awful. Namely; gave myself darmstadium tools and some creative drawers with various ores, and hey, suddenly I don't find the game to be nearly as much of a chore.

(YMMV of course, but if anyone is just dreading Nomifactory stuff, just remember cheating in single player is a choice you make, there's no leaderboards.)

Among other mods, I added ProjectE to Nomifactory to make the early game less grindy - all the advanced stuff still requires proper crafting, but ProjectE means it's a lot easier to produce the basics and progress without as much grind. It also means you can essentially create infinite systems for producing certain things like cables and sulfuric acid.

I tend to play a modpack most of the way through in its normal state first, then tinker with its mods and configs to make it a more enjoyable experience for myself. I'm not here to prove myself to other people, I'm just having fun making complex systems and making the questbook go ping. My E2:E install is a pretty big mess because of adding dimension mods and other such things to it, I might pare that down to bring it back from the brink at some point.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I'm at LuV tier in Nomifactory - How do you automate stuff using PackagedAuto? I haven't been able to find all that much documentation on it and it isn't super intuitive. Do I stick an Unpackager next to a chest that outputs to all the Assembly Line's ULV inputs and configure a boatload of item filters for them? Can you automate multiple expanded table recipes on a single Extended Autocrafter, or is it one recipe per table?

/edit: If PackagedAuto isn't the best way of doing it, what is, other than brute-forcing it by making an Assembly Line for each different component you want to make and keeping the little pieces (Annealed Copper coils, SMD components) push-filled at all times?

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

(and boy do i wish i was on a server. Ive set up a draw for annelled copper wire, 16x 8x, 4x, 2x, 1x, but only have enough o2 for 1 EBF, god its been so slow. And that needs to fill before i can grind it for powder and automate signulum)

My relatively-short experience is that many of the things you need to electrolyze to be useful outside of extremely specific contexts - pyrope, almandine, bauxite, ruby, etc. - have oxygen as a side product as well. Between that, cryogenic air distillation, and electrolyzing water to get hydrogen, I have more oxygen than I know what to do with.

Also, PackagedAuto pisses me off. It always manages to eat/"lose" one of my packages if I multicraft anything, and some kind of bug basically lost the packages for 120 LuV Emitters before I realized it's only a 7-slot recipe and I can just use regular-rear end AE processing crafting for it. :v:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

mechaet posted:

ProjectE.

I fully confess to using ProjectE to bypass a little bit of the grind in Nomifactory, mostly because diamond-fueled numis piss me off too much otherwise. I like designing systems and progressing through the questbook, not constantly being harassed by narrow power generation options.

I've found that using AE2 to push common parts into particular inputs and using regular ME Interfaces for the rest of the parts has helped me bypass needing PackagedAuto for Assembly Lines, which means I only really use it for automating Combination crafting and the larger crafting tables. It's fun to be able to make stacks of mid-tier microminer craft without a problem :D Now it's Draconium, Crystal Matrix ingots and Neutronium that I need to start building better production for.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I hate to say it, but I've run through Twilight Forest so many times at this point I'm just going to quit, or at least cheat through it if any modpack tries to throw it in. I've seen way too many progression trees in modpack quest books that go "okay, now go do a huge chunk of Twilight Forest and come back when you reach this milestone". It's just wasting my time.
Infernal mobs is pretty broadly disliked too, partially because it adds so many modifiers that are just unfair and impossible to compensate for, and partially because Minecraft combat is just so drat bad.

Twilight Forest is something that I occasionally like to dip my toes into, but gently caress gating progression behind it. If I'm here to build machines, why the hell are you gonna force me to go searching for that stupid goblin labyrinth or slog my way up the Ghast Tower?

Also having TF be a major progression gate so often when the mod itself is incomplete is lol.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Is it weird that I miss the research puzzle game in Thaumcraft 4? I always thought it was really clever and interesting and I absolutely loathe the gatcha-game nature of Thaumcraft 6's research table. It was cool to see the aspects that other mods would add that would make interesting shortcuts in it, like the Signal aspect from Chromaticraft that let you connect Aurum and Potentia.

...Honestly, is there anything like Nomifactory for 1.7.10? Something where I can still get my Gregtech fix but tinker with TC4 and Chromaticraft again?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

What, still? I haven't played it in years and the final castle or whatever was still in progress.

The last thing they did to the final castle was put in a placehold final boss that's just a Kobold with extra health.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of TF is really amazing, but the final castle being a complete fizzle is still hilarious to me.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

So what's the best way to install/update to the dev version of Nomifactory? The way I tried (copying over all the override files) spits an EnderIO: Fatal Error at me over something called Monster Token Omni even after attempting some of the fixes I've seen elsewhere. What do you actually do with that .zip file that's on GitHub?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Bremen posted:

I opened up Curseforge, hit create custom profile, then import and selected the zip. It seems to be working fine.

This did the trick, thanks!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Mwahahah. Just got creative tanks and I'm brainstorming all the awesome automation and mining bypassing I can do with them. It's also fun to be at a spot where I can just autocraft several hundred LuV pumps for fluid solidifiers without blinking. :q:

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 20, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

The changes in the dev pack and the not make things both easier and harder.

Before i was just wrapping cable in rubber. Now i need to make silicone rubber and assemble that stuff ><

And im going to bite the bullet and make a few more fission reactors just to get me mats i need ><

Having to partially or wholly rebuild all the modular machines was a pain in the rear end too, but it's nice that they get overclocking abilities now. Processing a whole stack of Tier 1 microminers for exquisite diamonds nearly-instantaneously is fantastic.

I was originally weighing the possibility of having to build a whole new base for Creative Tank processing, but then I realized just how much real estate in my main base is taken up by chemistry machinery that can just be torn down now.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I decided to go back to 1.7.10 for a spell with FTB: Infinity Evolved injected with Chromaticraft and a few other mods, and I forgot how nice it is to be able to cheese early power production with an Ignis node, a few Everburn Urns and a pile of Extra Utilities lava generators. :D

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Bhodi posted:

the chaos dragon, haha that's some entirely next level unfun bullshit, why would you ever put something like that in a mod?

God, the Chaos Dragon is quite possibly the most bullshit thing in Minecraft modding. Yeah, take the clumsiest aspect of the game and ramp it up to 11 for no reason, that sounds loving perfect.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Man, I'm just about to quit FTB: Interactions. You're telling me I have to fight the loving Chaos Dragon just for palladium and platinum? Fuuuuuuck yooooouuuuuuuu. It even ignores the mod that convinces mobs to ignore you, which I use since FTB:I decides it needs to lock you into Normal difficulty and throw Creepers on laser dinosaurs at you.

Combat is the worst part of Minecraft. Just let me build a cool-rear end factory without demanding I engage with janky combat mechanics. Even if you want me to fight monsters constantly, at least don't make the broken-rear end Chaos Dragon gate mid-tier minerals. Is there anything like FTB: Interactions that doesn't force you to focus so much on combat? I like both E2:E and Nomifactory, but I'm not sure I'm willing to devote thousands of hours to something like GT:NH.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 22, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Hooplah posted:

unless you're someone who absolutely needs to complete all challenges to feel like you accomplished something, why don't you just give gtnh a try? you can set a smaller intermediate goal, like get to the moon, or automate your first circuits. honestly i think many people end up playing through multiple times, getting to further tiers each time. you don't need to devote 1000 hours to have fun with gtnh. i've started new worlds like three times and had a blast each time trying different strategies

I'm going ahead and giving it a shot. :) I'm sad it doesn't seem to be compatible with Chromaticraft though, that's one of my favorites from 1.7.10 in spite of Reika basically going out of their way to make it more needlessly complicated with every update. I'm preemptively turning off pollution because GT has enough other fires to put out without a new restricting mechanic. Just after a few minutes, though, it seems really well done!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, I remember having Infernal and Special Mobs in the custom modpack my friend put together years ago and not enjoying them at all. Gonna remove those too. Standard mobs are fine but gently caress MC combat and mob griefing being a major focus of a factory modpack.

Definitely already falling down this rabbit hole a lot harder than I did with FTB:I :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

How the gently caress do you even get enough ore to get into MV in GT:NH? Ore generation is loving agony in this pack and it's starting to piss me off. I even have the ore finder telling me I'm in a Stibnite vein in the Nether and I'm in the process of emptying out the whole area with no actual Stibnite ore in sight.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Wait a second. Do Industrial Apiaries in GT:NH really explode in the rain, even though they require being open to the sky for bees to do their thing? Or am I doing something wrong? (I may have cheated them in just because I like breeding bees in Gendustry.)

I'm probably putting down GT:NH for a while because the grind and the incredibly nitpicky nature of its crafting are starting to get to me. I might just kitchen-sink some 1.7.10 stuff together so I can go through TC4 and Chromaticraft stuff again. Is there a stand-alone Gregtech mod, though? I still have fun with how some of its processing and chemistry works.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rynoto posted:

GregTech CE: Unofficial is the standalone version of gregtech that's used in Nomifactory which, if you haven't played it, is a modpack designed to a more pure factory builder compared to GTNH. It's also significantly less grindy and less tiers with more emphasis on early scaling and automation with access to infinite resources coming at a steady pace.

Is there a standalone for 1.7.10, though?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

After messing around endlessly with the configs for GregTech 5U, Chromaticraft, Unidict and the like, I just about have a custom 1.7.10 pack figured out for myself where GregTech is present but doesn't completely take over everything else, and :feelsgood:

I kinda wanted to see all the late-game stuff GT:NH has to offer, but it was just getting too frustrating for something I do to relax after work.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The only real downside to 1.7.10 is Thaumcraft 4 research. God I hate TC4 research so much. There's only so much comfort in the fact that scanning all the GT stuff gives you infinite instrumentum, fabrico and ordo to chain in the minigame.

That, and the pack doesn't make magic explicitly required until the very, very endgame if you can be bothered to get that far.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who loves the cool puzzle minigame of TC4 research and hates the gatcha-game nature of TC6's. I honestly feel like TC6 is a massive downgrade from TC4 in general, but that's partially because TC4 has had so many submods made for it that it encompasses a ridiculous amount of content. But making even basic essentia distillation create flux that can potentially generate rifts in your base is also something I absolutely hate to death.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

bawk posted:

ChromaSky 2

Dammit, you got me excited that somebody might have put Chromaticraft in a decent modpack somewhere. :v:

Currently enjoying a much more casual pack I put together for myself a little while back. I might return to Gregtech Land again eventually, but I burned out on GTNH after squeezing my way to HV. I might tackle Nomifactory again, unless there's something like Interactions that doesn't do things as stupid as gating mid-tier stuff behind the Chaos Dragon and completely turning off Peaceful mode.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's a fun quest based modpack? Last time I got into Minecraft Agrarian Skies 2 and such were the bee's knees, what's the latest and greatest?

If you don't feel like the grind of Gregtech-based modpacks, I highly recommend Enigmatica 2: Expert.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Bhodi posted:

That essential meanness permeates the whole mod. It sucks.

Yeah, I like a decent level of challenge but I really can't with mod authors being deliberately trollish in the way they construct things. It's why I abandoned Interactions (because gently caress putting mid-level ores behind the loving CHAOS DRAGON) and GT:NH and went back to Nomifactory. Nomi is hard but fair. I'm trying out CEU and enjoying it thus far. I know I'm gonna miss out on some of the weird cool ultra-endgame creations of NH, but all the decisions turning literally everything into a struggle or a stumbling block or a flat-out troll just make it unenjoyable after a while.

Like, give me a version of GT:NH that's less trollish and a bit more forgiving and I'd play it, but after a while it just got frustrating and unrewarding. Jesus, even all the Thaumcraft research was amped up to 11. I actually enjoy the TC4 research game and that poo poo was still turned into an unbearable slog in GT:NH.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 11, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

... the research in GTNH is unchanged from the TC4 default. Well, the research table UI is a bit different. The recipes? Sure, those are harder. Good thing you never have to do magic until the very, very late game. (Even I burn out before I get to that point.)

I know the research minigame itself is unchanged, but all the recipes are made as large as possible, which... what is the point exactly? Grind for the sake of grind?

Anyway, I'm enjoying Nomi CEU so far, so it's all gravy. I just wish Nomifactory had a 1.7.10 equivalent that wasn't deliberately made unpleasant so I could shove Chromaticraft and TC4 into it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

trans, gay, hitler

:wtc:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Having a lot of fun with ATM8. I needed something other than Nomifactory and E2:E to go to, and I already went back and replayed my favorite 1.7.10 stuff. Haven't delved into Create yet, but I'm having a blast just with exploration and tinkering with a few things so far. If I can rename Cotton Candy Bees back to Trans Bees, so much the better.

What are your favorite mods that you wish had been brought forward to other versions? Thaumcraft 4 is still my favorite incarnation of the mod, along with all of its numerous offshoots, and it's a big reason I go back to 1.7.10 regularly. Chromaticraft is another reason I go back to 1.7.10, in spite of its highly esoteric nature, because there's just nothing else quite like it in Minecraft (Astral Sorcery comes closest).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I was literally just looking in this thread to see if anyone had done anything similar, I liked the physicality of thaumcraft and the focus on building nice looking structures.

Closest thing that's given the same feeling is probably Create, but I wish there was something more like TC with its focus on finding stuff, collecting it, refining it in smallish quantities, and finding places in the world to set up based on where the natural nodes are and stuff.

Or capturing several nodes and installing them in your base next to the fast-forward stopwatch from ProjectE, so any operations with it happen more or less instantaneously and you can get an infinite experience glitch with the Thaumic Horizons Soul Sieve and a Brain in a Jar. :q:

/edit: And if you're playing with Chromaticraft, dump a bunch of nodes in a Rainbow Forest biome and forget about them until they all have 500-1000 of each aspect, since nodes will naturally expand in that biome.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 7, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

In terms of long-dead mods, I miss Astral Sorcery, Thaumcraft, and the Betweenlands. Had some really good times with those.

This is why I abandoned ATM8 partway through and started playing E2:E again. :v: It's really hard to leave behind my comfort zones in 1.12.2 and 1.7.10. I just wish somebody had ported Thaumcraft 4 to 1.12.2 - I intensely dislike some of the changes made to TC6 (most notably the gatcha game-esque research and the elimination of nodes and set wand foci). I'm the odd sicko who really likes TC4's research minigame and thought it was really inventive and challenging, instead of the "roll the dice and hope you didn't waste 20 pieces of paper on nothing" nature of TC6.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Uh-oh. I just polished off E2:E again and I think I'm getting the itch to Greg it up in New Horizons once more. :ohdear:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Welp, I'm back up to MV in GTNH again. :q:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Whoops, I started building my first setup for creating polyethylene in GTNH right after dinner, and when I looked up again it was 1:30AM :v: I forgot how satisfying managing to create things in this was.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Black Pants posted:

I just hope people can stand to play a 1.12 pack heh.

How many of us are playing GT:NH (1.7.10), Nomifactory (1.12) and/or E2:E (1.12) again? :v:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Funny that you mention that because I'm trying Nomifactory again and I've managed to actually get past the late EV/early IV wall I always hit. I just built my first assembly line in fact! :toot:

I'm at IV in GT:NH right now, and I feel like I'm definitely gonna go much farther in it than I did last time. I've given myself a lot of leeway in some categories, since I'm more interested in exploring the pack and figuring out automation solutions than doing everything by the book. Figuring out how to automate Platinum, Palladium and Tungsten automation this weekend has actually been a lot of fun.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh, two more months of self-harm!

Yeah, just wait until you have to automate Hearts of the Universe. :q:

/edit: Speaking of automation, I better start building my osmium/iridium/rhodium processing chain.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 4, 2024

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

:toot: Baby steps!

Two! Two Neutronium! Ah ah ah!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Pour one out for those we left behind.

This is Chromaticraft erasure. :colbert:

As esoteric and sparsely-documented as Chromaticraft is, aesthetically and progression-wise it's still one of my favorite mods ever. If only Reika would stop GTNH-ing it and adding unnecessary complexity and difficulty the second people figure it out.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 12, 2024

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Also holy gently caress do I need two stacks of Quantum Mainframes to make one Assline? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

fondue posted:

After three years of playing Minecraft I was ready to shelve it and then Thaumcraft roped me back in. I played another six or seven years and even ran a "magic only" server named Luddite for a few years.

Thaumcraft is what brought me back to Minecraft in 2017 too, when a friend started a server with a custom modpack. :3: