Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

Sadly, all the links are broken, so all you get is what once was.

That's not really the point. Perfectly usable, curated information of an already super obtuse mod was scrubbed off a wiki in favor of a transient stream-of-conciousness chat channel on another app? So I get to play internet detective, hopping not just from site to site but now into different apps, where I get to go to a channel and just start backscrolling through random designs until I stumble on a random one that seems OK? And you don't see a problem with this in terms of user experience? Saying "Well, it's better than youtube" isn't really much of a bar to get over.

For what its worth, the problem was always that devs don't like to document stuff because it's hard work and boring. The answer to that has just changed from forum posts (alright, but prone to going out of date and having dead links/etc) to youtube, to discord. And of those I'll take discord over youtube anyday, even if I prefer a well-documented wiki over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Just add ProjectE to every mod pack to take the edge off

I know we shitpost about this a lot but honestly like, I agree with this around 25% - specifically the part where it's like, 'at a certain point, I don't want to have to care about resource X, I want it taken care of.'

ProjectE spirals out of control pretty fast, but IMO I do hate it when I'm deep in the tiers of a system and it's like 'oh yeah...I need iron now' and I need to go expend as much time and energy as it takes to get HyperPlutonium to get some iron.

I like systems where as you progress, the earlier tiers get more and more efficient, or simply obsolete.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think it was modern skyblock 2 that did a good job of this with the upgrades to the system that generated resources. You had a small multi block that would generate ingots from dusts and based on the Catalyst and multi block components you might need multiple dusts to generate an ingot or you'd poof a couple stacks in no time at the top end.

Even if you don't deep dive into bees or IC2 crops, there are a ton of options for generating resources from nothing in GTNH, like thaumic bases crops, glow flowers, centrifuging ashes/lava/stone dust, or even good ol' UU-Matter. Plus it becomes trivial to use a souped up tinker hammer to rip apart a vein in minutes and dump it into some kind of processing array.

But yeah I absolutely agree that early game actions need to be minimized, trivialized, or otherwise removed to provide that sense of progression. The funny thing about that is project E doesn't actually do that since you have to manually interact with so much of it and it doesn't play nice with any non-vanilla items unless a pack maker adds EMC values for everything.

Yeah, the only caveat I'd have is that I'd prefer it if it didn't turn into it's entire own game like bees or magical agriculture/etc. Those aren't terrible but it'd be nicer to have something streamlined like the Alchemy pack where you had to make clay.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

64 is too small of a stack size anyway. 128/256/512/1024 would be better.

I mean a lot of this is old vanilla design decisions coming back. There's nothing inherently wrong with the stack size in earlier vanilla because you'd get a 'haul' when out mining but still have reason to come back, but inventory sizes have absolutely been strained by the amount of items.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Am i the only one who hates magic mods?

It depends. I don't like magic mods that boil down to 'it's like Tech mods, but without any UI so it's 10x harder to use', but I liked Thaumcraft just fine.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I'm excited for the next version of omnifactory, hope that's pretty soon.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
What are folks using for Omnifactory texture packs?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

The ever divisive sphax and its OF specific addon, Here

Yeah, I'm trying to use this but Grass specifically ends up being totally invisible. I've downloaded the latest sphax and that specific patch :(

for context. Grass is invisible, other blocks look just fine.

double edit: Apparently this is a foamfix problem. :( I'll look to see if I can figure out a fix.

triple edit:

figured it out - if anyone runs into issues with BDCraft/Sphax texture packs setting certain things to invisible, use the fix here: https://github.com/asiekierka/FoamFix/issues/277 - basically go into the FoamFix.cfg and change the B:smallModelConditions=false to true.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 2, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

BurritoJustice posted:

The ones in the leak are hashed not just encrypted so it really shouldn't be a huge concern for them to be cracked, but I can understand worrying the people behind the hack might have something more concerning.

At the very least if you have the hashed password and the source code, you could generate a password that would work, so you should change it on twitch; and just to be safe, change it elsewhere.

(This is also a good opportunity to start using a password vault if you aren't.)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Back to minecraft talk, what's the earliest Omnifactory liquid holding or moving item?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

HV omnifactory update: godDAMN do I have a lot of chemical reactors. So much piping. I'm glad I did this in omnifactory first because doing all this with just Greg pipes sounds like hell

I just hit LV Assembly Table and I'm starting to appreciate gregtech, but boy I'm glad I'm doing this in Omnifactory instead.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
About to do my first big automation in Omnifactory: getting polymer clay. This modpack rules.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

I'm playing Omnifactory and trying to get my Pyrolyse oven working. It's formed a valid structure, the interface says it's idling, but when I put in the stuff to make charcoal, nothing happens.

It's got power, and steam from a thermal expansion dynamo in the fluid input. I have some oak logs and a (correctly configured) circuit in the input bus. All of my inputs and outputs are on the same side, but as far as I can tell that shouldn't affect anything. I just know there's something I'm overlooking, but I can't work out what.

Are you feeding it steam? That's the biggest thing I can think of that I can't see in your video.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I doubt it uses circuit #0 for the recipe. You probably need to set the circuit to another number.
GTNH changed the sprite for those circuits to have the number on a 7-segment display, which was really helpful.

Edit: This is probably the thing. Check what circuit is required, as you can pyrolyse different outputs. You want to start off with Coal btw, not charcoal, as the outputs from Charcoal are harder to use right away.

D34THROW posted:

So is Gregtech not poo poo anymore? Last time I played modded MC GT was the butt of all overcomplication jokes and it was barely used.

Well, GregTech has gotten a lot more complex, and there are now modifications of gregtech like the community edition and modpacks like Omnifactory that all kind of grind off the worst bits, revealing the fun parts - big complex machines and a lot of automation capability.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Most of that stuff stems from the original GregTech, which was indeed a mess. However, modern versions (which include the 1.7.10 GTNH pack -- it is under active development and new content is being added even as we speak) are clones, and only bear a resemblance to the original work.

If by way of example -- I'm still playing the GTNH runthrough I started in December of last year. I don't play every day, sure, and I will occasionally put it down for a week or three, but it still captures my attention to this day.

I do recommend disabling infernal mobs and special mobs, though -- Minecraft combat is never fun.

I took a step further and just am playing Omnifactory on Peaceful, which I don't normally do. Minecraft combat is just too much of a distraction and uninteresting to bother with.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Finally went back and started making passive generation of resources I need in Omnifactory once I hit HV. Here's some tips:

- Polymer Clay is your primary thing to start with, and there's a decent guide on the omnifactorydevs github: https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/OmnifactoryGuides/blob/latest/guides/PolymerClayAutomation.md

- Once you get that, a good option for 'I want to make this passively, but not forever' is to setup a bank of storage drawers and then add a higher priority storage bus on there, and only have drawers available for the stuff you're making. It's a bit of overhead, but it means you'll cap out at making like 2048 coal or whatever and then kill consumption, and it's all available on your network. Just have enough general purpose ME storage that when you dump something into the system over your SD cap, it has somewhere to go, but generally it's not going to be a problem.

- Pursuant to the last point: Storage downgrades are a thing and are quite useful - especially combined with compacting drawers. The limit on compacting drawers is based on the highest compacting thing, so ingots are based on the blocks, for example. So a single stack of blocks is still like 512 ingots which is enough for basic alloys.

- I setup all the Mob Fabricators for this, and then went back and started adding autocrafting for blastfurnace alloys I use a lot - in theory you can make this totally passively as well, although I skipped making ender pearls passively for vibrant alloy.

Next up I'm going to start trying to better automate chemicals, I just went through and changed my ENTIRE ME fluid drive setup over to individual 1k/4k (depending) drives formatted per. It's a gigantic pain in the rear end to setup, but it lets you start making stuff passively eventually.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 25, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

You don't have to wait to HV to closed loop automate DML. I've done it with MV and it fully powers my current poo poo with numis. I just max upgrade my storage drawers and also void upgrade. It doesn't really matter if it's not producing useful work cause it's 100% closed loop and power positive, and dumping to storage drawers directly so it's not a big tick hit. Currently making iron, copper, diamonds (fuel and surplus), and ender pearls (polymer and surplus) with only a single polymer chain. Numismatics keep scaling up for a long time through HV, especially if you got a battery bank for spikes and automatically turn off dynamos with a power monitor or three. That held me clear into IV, then it had trouble keeping up. This play through, I was trying to get started early on solar, but the early panels just can't hack it.

Also starting to automate SMDs -> circuits chain, which is something I stupidly never did last run through. This time I'm tryin to be a lot better about building a full chain/storing nearby instead of dumping everything to the storage network even if redundant/piping would be really wonky, cause that lag gets killer later.

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified that I automated DML a while ago. You need a bit of MV, not full HV for it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a new variation on my previous problem of sending two different things to one machine. Now I want to send two ingredients distributed to four blast furnaces. I think vibrant alloy was where it nailed me. I had a round robin setup but the energetic alloy ingots wound up across one machine and the rest of the ender pearls went across the other three.

I can add more inputs and filter them separately, but it doesn't specifically solve keeping even ratios of those ingredients.

Regarding automation: I am just automating everything at the point. It was getting silly for a few quests but then I found out I need multiple cryogenic freezers and distillation towers. 88 steel blocks? Meh.

Are you talking about passive generation or on-demand? Passive wouldn't be too hard, put a single-stack storage drawer with a robotic arm on each one, but if you're talking about on-demand I think that'd be pretty difficult.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I think so too. I am seeing how long it takes to make stuff from the original resources and I need keep a flow of things instead.

Is this worth doing with first generation (albeit tier 4) circuits? It seems particularly tedious but I've built everything starting off them and I think everything I have for them is sustainable.

I never automated circuits just because the boards are always a bit of a pain, but I think my next major project is to automate that.

Edit: sorry, I never set up *passive* production of circuits. I absolutely automated the gently caress out of them as soon as possible, but it's on-demand.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 27, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

It seems to be an iterative process for everyone who plays Omnifactory that you start out semi-automating and learn the hard way that not automating as much as possible as early as possible creates problems and I'm just hitting that limit in early HV while I still haven't got a lot of ME done. I'm surprised how fast a LV clay loop is compared to an MV pulsating dust loop.

part of it for me was that early on you hit more efficiency improvements pretty fast, which implies you should be leaping forward rather than automating every step. I think HV is a good time to stop and look around a bit because those drop off al ot in the MV/HV range.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One issue I have with enthusiastic automation is not necessarily knowing where the individual quest steps are leading--especially with fluids. This tends to lead to a lot of chemical reactors doing a single step of many in a serial process; the stuff does not get used anywhere else.

Well unfortunately it's hard to work with fluids and re-using reactors, so no matter what it feels like you're going to have this situation.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ooh, I might take a break from Omnifactory for this.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So my biggest takeaway is that this is disappointingly not a great intro into all the stuff in the modpack and you'll still need to do a lot of digging through the in-game manual. Like the first thing the questbook does is throw you at 'start generating this passively', which is something that takes some infrastructure to get going.

For what it's worth that's not a terrible thing, but it's a little disappointing since I don't have much context on it, and coming from Omnifactory it's a bit of a 'figure it out on your own.'

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It would be a good idea to play around with just Vanilla and Create for a bit to figure out what all the moving parts do because the recipes are so drastically different in this pack that it's going to take quite a while to get even a small amount of automation started.

Yeah, I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I'm curious though, how do you make Mechanical Drills and Saws? There's no JEI recipe for them.

Edit: I'm an idiot I set the game into JEI edit mode and blacklisted a ton of items on accident.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 1, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So the Create Above and Beyond modpack is not a great intro into Create, as previously mentioned, but it is a pretty fun little modpack, and it's nice to see more 1.16 packs.

I'm finally starting to build my first Create mechanisms and boy these are some cool ideas. I'm very excited to keep going.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Right now it's copper and iron. I constantly feel like I don't have enough steel/darksteel, and all the big multi-block projects seem to take an absolutely comical amount of cuprenickel.

I finished my pyrolese oven and now it's just... a profound feeling of now what? I'm supposed to break into MV now but it almost feels like I would need to start a whole new facility just for MV stuff what with all the "DO NOT EVER CROSS THE VOLTAGES SO HELP US GOD" verbiage in the quest book.

One thing to get started on very soon as soon as you cross into MV is to get a consistent automated supply of polymer clay, because with that you can make power via diamonds, and lots of other materials like Iron/copper/etc from Deep Mob Learning.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I think what I need to do is sit down and figure out what automation looks like in this because I'm trying to think in the same way as in other modpacks I play (I play on a server with some friends running a curated 1.16 pack, and reading this thread was what got me on the idea of Omni) and it's clearly not working. Thanks for the vibe check, y'all.

https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/OmnifactoryGuides/blob/latest/guides/PolymerClayAutomation.md this is a good shortcut (and that github repo has other guides on it as well)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Althalin posted:

I've been getting some good mileage out of Brass, which is a progression pack based on Create and Industrial Engineering, working in Mekanism and RFTools later on.

For my personal consumption, I threw in Iron Chests and Tetra, both of which play nicely with the pack itself (I mostly added Tetra because I hadn't really used it before, and was interested in seeing what their TiCon alternative was like)

It's scratching a similar itch to Age of Engineering, which remains my favorite 1.10 pack, though it's not nearly as hardcore (or as focused on parallel production)

Highly recommend.

I tried this out and enjoyed it quite a bit, although I'm going to toss RefinedStorage in there as well because I refuse to play a pack without RS or AE2.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

too bad i'm an idiot, otherwise I'd play Create. I need packs like Omnifactory and GTNH which walk me through stuff.

FWIW the in-game docs for Create are pretty good, not perfect though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

D34THROW posted:

Create looks like Better Than Wolves without animal abuse. Windmills, cogs, rods, etc? Am I about on the mark?

Aesthetically it's pretty close, but it's a lot less...bizarre and more fun. Something about it is very lighthearted somehow, I dunno.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Echophonic posted:

I just started up Create: Above and Beyond and I'm kind of having mixed feelings about it. I'm quite enjoying learning Create, but I can't help but feel like this is the fuckin' hard way. There's absolutely zero guidance on how a lot of builds should kinda look. I've made some absolutely atrocious things, but I love them anyway. I've managed automatic non-standard cobble gen, a flint/iron generator, and a rubber generator so far. Belts and shafts and cogs loving everywhere.

I'm sure I'll get more efficient as I go, but the room-filling nightmares straight out of the Church of the Broken God are definitely enjoyable to make. But there's nothing quite like going piece by piece and watching that first iron nugget go into a chest, like I just managed. Now I just have to check that chest every so often.

C:A+B is much more difficult than normal Create. A couple notes that'll help you out:

- A Millstone is a good thing to shoot for early - if you get a melting thing (Forget if it's the foundry or smelter, but there's an early game one pretty quick with Seared Bricks that's only a two-block thing) you can get up to 1 ingot per ore pretty fast by milling ore down, then melting the dust. (3x dust per crushed ore, 3x nuggets per dust)

- Windmills are loving great and should be your main power source.

- You don't have to fully automate everything, but you should set up stuff that you can automate later. For example, the tree cutting setup with the mechanical piston and saws is great but definitely overkill to fully automate early, just pop by every once in a while and turn it on, cut trees, turn it off, plant trees, repeat.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Spectral Werewolf posted:

One last tip is that waterwheels can be set up on their side (I think this was not in Create 0.1) and rotate a bit faster than windmills so they are more optimal than windmills earlier in the game for all the low stress farms you need to make in the beginning. Windmills are more of a midrange stress capacity. Unless you like the idea of everything being powered by one central source or just like windmills because they are very cool.

Oh ho ho, that's pretty cool.

The biggest problem for me with any of the rotational stuff is that you don't get the ability to output items from them with the portable interfaces until the Brass age (without turning them off, I suppose), so I've got a manual piston-based setup for now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The 1.1 patch for above and beyond changed that so the interfaces are made from andesite machines in a stonecutter. A very welcome change for sure.

Oh, nice. I hadn't upgraded yet. I'll make sure to do that, although I'm probably petering out on this whole thing pretty soon.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
The nice thing about Omnifactory is that they disabled Channels, which is really where AE2 gets complicated. Without it it's basically like Bhodi describes; big box, stuff goes in or out. Some of the other options are way more finicky but I don't know how much of that you need to do.

One tip btw: if you slap a storage bus (Ae2) on a storage drawer controller (storage drawers) then pipe inputs into the storage drawer controller, you get limiting, which is nice. It's a very easy way to say 'I want 1 stack of each of these things' and you can moderate the capacity by drawers. You can even add void upgrades to things you want to make and overflow (for example: anything that has multiple outputs at the same time). Doing this in storage drawers is easy, doing it in AE2 like "keep x of this thing in my storage network" is considerably more complicated.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I think Omnifactory is like 125% of my limit for weird bullshit. I don't hate it or anything, but I got into the tier past HV and went 'oh okay...oh gently caress.' and kind of gave up.

I probably should have started in the void or moved there because boy having to dig new caves all the time is a pain in the rear end, but meh.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Patware posted:

are you in overworld or cities

like i moved just to overworld at some point and immediately felt like i was having a better time

then i stalled out but that's because endwalker came out

Oh yeah, I was in lost cities; maybe I could try in Overworld instead.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Is there a good summary anywhere of improving performance for Forge? I've got a beefy rear end computer and Rustic Waters 2 still kind of runs like a wet butt.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I think the thing I don't like about Nomifactory/etc is the mining part, hilariously enough.

Like the constant 'aw gently caress I can't do the fun part because I have to go do the unfun part' is irritating. I might retry and just...start cheating in resources/etc. Basically I'd prefer it played like an incremental game instead of...well frankly, Minecraft.

The one modpack where you started with various infinite resource generators and had to get your way up to Clay was one of my favorites for that reason - no mining, just building and logistics.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Think I'm gonna retry Nomifactory and just straight up replace the mining stuff every time I run into it and see if I stay away from burnout longer.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Speaking of Nomifactory, is there a good option for a tank with a 'void' upgrade (so like, will store X buckets and will continue to accept more but just delete any additional)? The biggest problem I had with fluids was overflow from processes, and my way of handling it on my last save was...subpar, to say the least. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Think I'm gonna retry Nomifactory and just straight up replace the mining stuff every time I run into it and see if I stay away from burnout longer.

At least early game I went in and hit some massive cheats to make things less awful. Namely; gave myself darmstadium tools and some creative drawers with various ores, and hey, suddenly I don't find the game to be nearly as much of a chore.

(YMMV of course, but if anyone is just dreading Nomifactory stuff, just remember cheating in single player is a choice you make, there's no leaderboards.)