Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

much like posting on an online forum, the veneer of anonyminity and also the desire to stand out among the masses has resolved itself, in part, by throwing everything at the wall to establish your online persona without regard for consequences.

On the other hand, I was gifted this av by a dear friend so maybe the comparisons are not accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dr. Killjoy posted:

oh hell yeah, just noticed Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent got a US blu ray release

tokyo godfathers is the perfect christmas movie and I need to pick me up a copy of that

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

was there ever a live action Inuyasha?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:vince:

Too bad there probably wasn't a live boy band singing the original S1 OP before the show.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Classically dressed and talented barbershop quartet except it's all Monogatari OPs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Segata Sanshiro posted:

they never succeeded in making that live action EVA idea happen, thank gently caress for that.

https://youtu.be/-H48GPv4BZI

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

skipmyseashells posted:

https://youtu.be/en6YIcNjb3Q

I’ve listened to the soundtrack for 12 years now and never once thought of watching or looking at the anime

For the curious, here's a playlist of the 2nd OVA.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQL9Xn8Zhxqs_JqsipJkZIncIRLd6wboK

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1494071736429654025?s=20&t=OhVKjQzQpk7k-zXNrRBhGQ

Ran 1994 to 2006, never got an official english translation. It's an amazing Iyashikei and one a lot of posters here might enjoy.

this is the anime thread, jules

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

i still don’t understand why alpha needed a gun

I thought in the first OVA, she dropped the gun in favor of a camera

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My Next Life as a Villainess doesn't have the uncomfortable stuff that plagues most isekai but it might be hard for some people to get into because some of the humor plays off of known isekai tropes.

I've only watched the first season (haven't gotten around to the second) but it's fairly wholesome.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would, no joke, love to try to get a slinky down the top half of those stairs. Although I suspect that any real life equivalent would probably have steps that are too wide.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

can i get some anime recs for a friend?

criteria:

involves children
no horny
cute
progression on a certain goal
not focused on fighting

she likes Ascension of a Bookworm and the classic Ghibli films. Anyone got suggestions?

If "children" includes teenagers then I hear good things about A Place Further Than the Universe. I haven't watched it myself but I think it checks off all the boxes.

and, along the same caveat, laid-back camp, although the goal is not clear cut

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I’ll admit it being like 20 years since I saw the 4kids localization and am just around 12 eps into the proper show, but I don’t think Cardcaptor Sakura has any actual fighting? The action sequence are more like puzzle solving than anything else.

There's some confrontation and drama. It depends on if you consider card capture as fighting.

As an older series, it might be harder to find.

It's undeniably cute.

also, there's are two instances where students have inappropriate feelings for their teacher and, in one case, the feeling is reciprocated so that's a little content warning for ya. To be fair, in both instances, it only makes up a little bit of the plot in the episodes they are featured in.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

KomradeX posted:

She proclaimed herself the wizards apprentice or something along those lines. I've seen it in crunchyroll but haven't watched it

https://www.funimation.com/shows/she-professed-herself-pupil-of-the-wise-man/

is it this

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casey Finnigan posted:

I saw a random japanese guy online who called himself 'el guerrero' and he said that gundam is not popular in the usa cause Americans don't like giant robots. Americans see a guy who fights in a giant robot and think he's a wimp. cause he needs to use that robot instead of just having big strong strength.

is he correct about this?

I was going to say that pacific rim disproves it but apparently it didn't do too well in the states.

America likes the whole david vs goliath schtick so the evil villain is usually the one in the big robot or indestructible tank because they have to use technology to make up for the lack of righteousness.

Also, giant robots are relatively impractical and unrealistic compared to spaceships, powered suits, fast cars, and jetpacks. And magic.

It's a myriad number of reasons, but the guy in a giant robot isn't necessarily a wimp. And the most well known giant robot anime is arguably Evangelion, which does not draw a mainstream audience and may color the genre a bit in people's eyes.

On the other hand, Nadesico has both giant ships and giant robots and may have actually done quite well in the States if it was shown as a straight dub. The protagonist does show a bit of angst but it clears up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, if you want the whole genre without the angst and instead treat big robot combat as the purest form of warmongering, then you end up with Mechwarrior (and BattleTech), which is undoubtedly popular in the States (it originated there, but took design ideas from Macross), but is not really mainstream in the slightest.

Mechwarrior 2 for the pc was an early adopter of cd-audio for music and absolutely knocked my socks off. The game itself was pretty good, and made excellent use of joysticks (especially if you had a throttle). The tutorial was optional but it ramped up the difficulty to teach some advanced tactics that I couldn't master. And trying to beat missions with just a Jenner was a fun way to spend too many hours.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

one interesting aspect of mechwarrior 2 is the ability to unlock lore by raising your rank. This was done by completing missions and going through trials.

The lore itself is just presented as large blocks of text, though. In retrospect, I don't remember it being any good at all. Maybe the Jade Falcon lore was just boring and I should've gone with Wolf

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

laid back camp (aka yurucamp) is good if you like being laid back and also camping. It's got both.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

skipmyseashells posted:

the best op/Ed combo in anime history is the first season of yu yu hakusho and there’s no close second

what about the first season of inuyasha

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Casey Finnigan posted:

while we're talking about cultural differences

someone on japanese yahoo answers says that Doraemon is not popular in the west because it conflicts with a Christian worldview

Doraemon is apparently an all-powerful God. However, whenever Nobita asks Doraemon for help, the assistance that Doraemon provides always backfires. Is Doraemon, perhaps, a Satanic or beguiling figure?

Also, how can Nobita learn self-reliance if he's constantly clinging to Doraemon? God helps those who help themselves, after all.

Thoughts?

Americans love wish fulfillment backfire stuff like Madoka.

We also have our own sayings regarding the careful wording of wishes such as the Monkey's Paw or the Wish spell in DnD or etc.

Doraemon's art style probably doesn't appeal to adults, so they don't bother showing it to kids. And it's not like US kids are walking around with a doraemon backpack if they can get Chikorita, so word of mouth doesn't spread as much. And you'd probably have to :filez: to watch any episodes in English.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mean, sure, if you have cable or the disney channel then you could see Doraemon. But crunchyroll has anime for free, so anything they show off will be much easier to stream.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

triple post, but some aspects of this show are similar to classic TV shows I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.

A powerful being uses their abilities to fit in society and support someone who is important to them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Before I emptyquoted those things, I checked 3 times to make sure I wasn't referencing fairy tail

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Homeless Friend posted:

crunch/funimation merger caused me to learn of the existence of kemono michi being animated lol

https://i.imgur.com/ryRK30Y.mp4

this looks promising

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if I had to recommend anime, it would be cowboy bebop for people that like action, and yurucamp for people that don't like action. Or spirited away if it has to be action, but for kids.

Although the best christmas movie is tokyo godfathers.

And if they like that stuff and are willing to see what full weeb looks like, then maybe a 3 episode test of maid dragon. It has action, slice of life, comedy, and some elements that aren't as acceptable to mainstream americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_LVfhqY3o

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've been so desperate for anime with stories about adults or even an adult cast that I was willing to give Cop Craft a pass despite being pretty mediocre. Spy x Family practically feels God-sent.

what did you think of wakakozake?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wakakozake looks weird but she's incredibly relatable and I want to buy her a drink and listen to her troubles

gap moe

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF3MJ8FkRTE

there are so many wakakozake featured dishes I want to make

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I didn't watch it because shows about food make me hungry.

:nyoron:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

its very funny how any gear that gets featured in yurucamp sells out immediately and no i absolutely didn't buy some weird extendable butane lighter to take camping from japan for exactly that reason

Thanks to that show, I absolutely want a japanese hatchet to cut firewood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREatse8dJ8
WARNING, VIDEO IS VERY LOUD

Never mind that I'll never get to use it since I live in California. And I would be wary of using it anywhere because apparently wildfires in north america can happen anywhere, even canada.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

that's where i currently draw the line on tryhard camp poo poo. maybe when i'm a one-pole tent grandpa.

hell, :same:, I am successfully resisting the gear lust but I still bought new tents last year and hopefully I get to break them in this year. Figures that the first thing I want to do when the pandemic breaks is get away from society.

Maybe I should actually bring my cast iron pan instead of just eating instant oatmeal and MREs. Take my first step towards being a one pole tent grandpa equivalent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

what did you get? i bought a snow peak AMENITY DOMO in February 2020 and it ended up being a great time to buy and it's a very sick tent for car camping. tough and comfy. it even has a front porch style of vestibule and an custom-cut interior foam mat for tent lounging.

please love yourself do not eat just oatmeal and MREs. the curry cup noodle is also great camp food, but i like to pre-prep dinners at home (like butter chicken) so I can just heat up something and toss it over instant rice. big improvement. i have a little cast iron in my camping gear.

I got a one person tent for backpacking (REI Passage) and a four person tent for car camping (REI Kingdom).

I'm still working on improving my sleep systems though. So watching yurucamp in the meanwhile and testing camp dishes at home will have to do until then.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

we use the Kelty Double Wide with the matching inflatable mattress and it's sick. basically as comfy as sleeping at home.

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll have to give it a shot.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Please don't recommend Maid Dragon to people

I'm curious. Did you actually watch the video I posted before putting up this reply?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, anyone who has watched kill la kill and thought it was good, but then dropped out of anime for unrelated reasons, and wants to see the state of the art that is not isekai, then maid dragon is not a terrible recommendation. Also, Next Life Villainess is also a comfy isekai comedy.

But if you have a crunchyroll subscription then spy x family is hands down the best show this season. I might use it as a gateway recommendation (even over yurucamp maybe) if it doesn't get weird. The first 4 episodes are very good.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Homeless Friend posted:

dragon maid got me to do this irl

:same: except kill la kill

Calibanibal posted:

sb hermit if you want to chat about your favorite anime Dragon Maid i would go to adtrw

fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hey guys what're we talkin' 'bout today?

Kit Walker posted:

the definition of "wholesome."

:yikes: