Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ahh, that was quite sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

marktheando posted:

Tracy Ann Oberman? Gross

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Narsham posted:

Liz was the best; should have had several more seasons with her. Barbara is awesome, but at least she gets to pull off her awesomeness in sweaters; Liz gets to deliver this line in a mini-skirt and impractical boots.

Liz seriously ruled. She felt like a modern companion, almost

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man reading all this really hammers home how good early to mid period BF really was, because y'all are listing absolute bangers right now

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Personally I think the series needs a Tom Baker-type; not necessarily "Bohemian eccentric alien", but rather (as Tom himself has said many times) an actor who is just playing an amped-up version of themselves, so they just glide naturally into the role without much effort.

I felt like Matt Smith was this kind of Doctor, to be fair. He was obviously channeling Troughton but he seems like a genuinely weird dude irl and his Doctor seems a lot closer to himself than Tennant (who is much less kinetic than his portrayal) or Capaldi (incredibly nice and gracious person playing short tempered and awkward)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

love too listen to a Big Finish story which not only indulges in the myth of the clean Wehrmacht but actually has our heroes team up with Nazi POWs against a French resistance member

really cool, that

(This is Scorched Earth, by the way. I'm glad I didn't pay for this shite)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

There's also Creed of the Kromon that is blatant fetish stuff, that particular writer has a thing about women being turned into grotesque queen ant style egg sacs, it's really gross and creepy

There are probably a few more but I can't think of em at the moment.

To be clear, the theme of Scorched Earth is basically 'you can't hold onto hate forever, it will consume you', which is all well and good, but not when it comes to loving Nazis, and especially not right now. Like, read the room, you idiots. I don't think the people at BF are secret Nazi sympathisers - they're clearly and obviously cosseted middle class white liberals, and it probably never even occurred to them it was a real bad look - but I'm definitely looking askance at the writer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ah no, she seems like a really nice person and she also seems to have a really good rapport with Colin (tbf everyone seems to, because he rules). She's young though, so hopefully she'll be ok.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm of the opinion that there's never a right time to portray fascists as good guys or even tenuous allies, because fascism is the worst ideology in recorded history. Doctor Who used to get this! It has the Daleks in it!

But yeah, in 2020? Mad.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

McQueen is always good value, even in mediocre or bad stories. Honestly I think it'd be cool if he turned up on the series at some point. Neil's dad being on Doctor Who might draw an extra few viewers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Colin's looking pretty trim in this photo, good for him

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish is probably writing an episode based on that tweet right now.

If that's not a joke, check out Jubilee

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Imagine these stories are going to be standard latter day Big Finish bobbins but chills at hearing my boi Eccles again :unsmith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Never been able to much watch the ancient Who, whether they remake that episode outright or revisit the premise, seems like fair game to repeat. Are people really going to be like "Hmm, y'all already DID THAT one THOUSAND years ago, kind of, in a different way." There's also plenty of room in the ancient world for Whoventures. Get into that Bronze Age collapse, very mysterious and spooky and room for Whooey. Get into the first people to discover agriculture and immediately slavery as well in the same breadth, got some Who lesson room. Hell, those folks get wiped out by barbarians not long after starting civilization, lots of stuff they could do in ancient Sumeria alone.

As a bronze age enthusiast this would all be awesome but since no-one ever really makes stuff set in the bronze age there's no-one for Who to steal costumes and sets from. So we'll have to settle for endless romans

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

McGann posted:

I have to say hearing this idea makes me want it very badly. Hell, let's see Dr Who and the Sea Peoples.

that'd be great but I have to say I don't trust Chib-Who to do the subject without falling rear end backwards (or forwards, frankly) into..."unfortunate" connotations

EDIT like they'd definitely go all in on the idea that the Sea Peoples were the sole cause of the collapse, as opposed to being a symptom of it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Rapture is hilariously tone deaf and out of touch as to how young people talk and act and rave. It was like Five go to Ibiza lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Smith brings such depth to the part. There’s subtlety in spades and he’s an absolute master of his craft.

Yup. It's ironic that the youngest person to ever play the part somehow still feels like the oldest version of the character.

I think it's in the eyes. That's some drat fine eye acting.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I agree over all but for me Tennant comes perilously close

Definitely I think everyone knows by now that the traditional "bad doctor" (Colin Baker) is nothing of the sort and is actually one of the greatest

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like a white british boomer to me

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Bye Chibbers. Good job loving it up for everyone.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The BBC's highest execs are all tory chuds after Cameron parachuted a bunch of em in. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had it in for a production where the Doctor is a woman

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Vampires of Venice is better than Time of Angels

Absolutely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol well aight whatever let's do the time warp again I guess

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Or the other way around? The issues Eccleston had weren't with RTD were they, indeed they'd worked together previously?

Ehhhh reading between the lines it seems like Eccleston had trouble with the general atmosphere and vibe of the production, and RTD was definitely a part of that. And, like, that's fair, because RTD really shouldn't have been turning a blind eye to Barrowman sexually harrassing/assaulting people.

EDIT

JoylessJester posted:

This would be a very safe choice i.e. 'give the job to the bloke who did it most successfully in the last 20 years' If it weren't for the fact we now know as showrunner he was unaware/turned a blind eye to bullying and sex pesting . There's also an element of trying to capture lighting in the bottle.

Indeed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

like or loathe the new development, at least we got this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

C.Bakes is such a sweet and wholesome fella :unsmith: