Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

I guess the head chef is mad at me because I'm not working as hard as him. I mean...we have two different jobs. His work is directly affected by the number of customers, operating hours, etc. I can plan my poo poo out and because of our volume and capacity, there are days where I have very little or nothing to do. It's really cool to be asked about my shift meal with such contempt. I really try to stay out of the kitchen staff's way because I know that their job is difficult, but like...am I supposed to kiss rear end and self-flagellate over this poo poo? If all I have going on is showing our equipment supplier's clients around the brewery and stuff at around noon and a meeting with a client at a beer bar at 2, then why the gently caress would I show up at 9 like I usually do. If my bosses don't give a poo poo about when I show up and leave as long as I deliver on product, why wouldn't I take advantage of that poo poo? Especially after having several busy weeks in a row for the summer rush. gently caress offffffffffff!

Maybe you could use that time to drag a loving mop across the floor for a few seconds :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
A while ago my boss approached me about adding a feature to one of our systems. I start to look into it, compile some preliminary findings, map out what changes we need and what the feature will net us. Yesterday boss tells me that I'll need to speak to the feature today in a meeting with some VPs. Cool. I'll slap together some slides together quick on how feature won't work and how we'll need to make changes, hopefully get a bid in on some additional resources. In the meeting today, no one asks me anything. Boss just says we don't need to make any changes and this feature will fix everything.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
No problem. We'll just add the feature. What could go wrong?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

Sounds like your boss wanted you there to set you up to either take the blame or work harder to fix the inevitable problem without any resources.

Nah, I think he really believes it. But it's really fun when everyone else is on boarding new people, discussing their needs for additional headcount, reviewing job descriptions. And when a VP asks my boss directly "What additional resources do you need?" he says, "None, just testing." Would have been nice to at least get some new test equipment. Or anything g at all.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

A while ago my boss approached me about adding a feature to one of our systems. I start to look into it, compile some preliminary findings, map out what changes we need and what the feature will net us. Yesterday boss tells me that I'll need to speak to the feature today in a meeting with some VPs. Cool. I'll slap together some slides together quick on how feature won't work and how we'll need to make changes, hopefully get a bid in on some additional resources. In the meeting today, no one asks me anything. Boss just says we don't need to make any changes and this feature will fix everything.

Boss has been cobbling together the feature with white label goods and crap he's found on Amazon. I've noticed some of these pieces that I was going to test go missing from my office. I correctly assumed he was taking them. He installed them in one of our products in the lab.
Cool, a test mule, we can at least get some preliminary data from this. So what's our test plan?
"We're sending this unit to a vendor, who is sending it to a customer."
Cool, so we'll do a teardown and inspect when it comes back?
"It's sold. We'll never see it again."
Cool, so how do we get data?
"We'll just monitor it remotely."
Cool, we'll control zero variables and get one reading of one parameter every 24 hours, great test.

In case anyone was worried they weren't smart enough to become an engineer, if you have shopped on Amazon then you are halfway there.

Boss also told skip boss that this is a great candidate project to demonstrate our new PDP process. I guess I get to add a new decision diamond: "Do you have a Prime account??"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Real question after your joy of a chemo drug explosion story: why do they do a water test on a system that will be running something with such different properties to water?

Rhetorical question: Do you test to uncover problems or satisfy requirements?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I ran into a buddy last week interviewing for a position at the company I work for. I think he'd be a good fit. He's been in the industry for a long time and knows it well, has experience in the same position at another company, as well as a lot of experience in other roles that would interface with this one.

He got rejected. They said he wouldn't fit the culture. The only thing we can figure is that he went in expecting WFH because that's what HR told him, and the hiring manager is firmly against it. No one wants to work.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I'm out to lunch

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
My boss asked me if I want to attend a training session, then loaded me up with meetings during that time.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

"Sorry, can't attend, I have training"

I can't tell if he's passive aggressively telling me I can't take the training or if he's dumb. It's project management training, and I'm an IC. But they want ICs to be their own PMs maybe it's important?

The meetings he scheduled instead are projects I'll need to manage.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Don't worry. I already know how to fill out a Gantt chart and move all of today's due dates to sometime next month.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

My boss asked me if I want to attend a training session, then loaded me up with meetings during that time.

Good thing I skipped that training. A supplier came in to review some proposed test builds. Turns out everything my boss was telling them was wrong, their proposed integration did not suit their needs at all, and we had to start their design over from scratch on a whiteboard.

Takes No Damage posted:

Try this double bock if you can get it, it's :yum:

I'm going to need to get some of these tonight.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

Sorry for the derail. poo poo. I swear my poo poo was work related. I forgot to open the blow off valve yesterday. I'm a big idiot. Fortunately nobody died. I do feel like I was hit by a loving bus though. Been too long since I brewed I guess.

I like your posts even if they cause derails
:justpost:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I'm tired of traveling with my boomer coworker. I'm tired of the conservative talk radio he always has on. I'm tired of how he complains that people (who aren't supposed to be helping him) aren't helping him. I'm tired of how he doesn't follow directions then complains that things aren't turning out correctly.
Halfway through this trip now.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update:
Me and the other millennial coworker made him take us to a Jamaican place for dinner. He asked "Am I the right color for this?" And pulled all the cash out of his wallet and hid it in his car before going in. During dinner he complained that the thing he was working on, something he is not supposed to be working on, is not working. No real concern that the thing he is supposed to be working on isn't working either. He also complained how millennial coworker was very dirty and riding in his car, despite knowing we were going to work on customer equipment in the field in a dirty environment, and chose to drive his personal car rather than get a rental. Then he started on a Hillary rant and I tuned him out.
Last week I had to travel with my boomer boss. I'm tired of boomers.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update:
Yesterday when he's done working on what he's not supposed to be working on, he says to me "We need to get this unit moved out so we can work on another one."
Me: "But have you fixed the actual issue on this one yet?"
Him: "Well we gotta get it moved out so we can work on another one!"

Today: "We gotta get that other unit in here! I never got a chance to fix it!"

Meanwhile the customer was getting cranky at me because because I'm telling him to keep his equipment out of service.

Back on the road home now, more conservative talk radio. I am not going to ask him to turn it off because then he'd try to talk to me. "Those blacks sure are conditioned to wear masks huh?" No thank you.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update:
He steps in to my office to talk about why the system was not working correctly in the field. I explain to him (again) that what he was working on had no effect on the system we were supposed to be working on. "Well someone needs to figure this out!" Good idea. He then goes on a rant about Green Globalists and how global warming is a hoax.
"We're doomed!" Yeah buddy, we're doomed.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

Are they keeping up with the Alex Jones trial(s)?

I don't know. I'm not going to ask. I keep all my conversation 100% work related and struggle to understand what provokes him to utter his boomerisms. If he mentions Alex Jones at all I'll take note.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sad King Billy posted:

Being lackadaisical about c02 safety is incomprehensible to me.

People just don't want to work anymore

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Work looks pretty good if you hate your family.

My boomer boss can't comprehend why anyone would want more vacation than our company's max. He claims he's "old school" and wants to come to work everyday. He also can't reconcile his work ethic with the fact that he's in a loveless marriage, only gets to do his favorite things/go to his favorite restaurants when she's out of town, came in to the office every day during COVID instead of working from home so that he didn't have to be around her, and his only friends seem to be through work where people are forced to interact with him.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Whenever we meet with a vendor to integrate something new in our product, my boss just asks them to make a proposal. No system description, no details, no specs, just "show us what you got." When they try to pry any type of direction out of him, he just deflects. "I'd like to see what you come up with." This is his idea of engineering.

A couple months ago vendor A made a proposal for some new technology. Boss's response: "Wow! That's great! It'll really take care of a lot of the issues we're having." About a month ago vendor B is having some issues with a component they are developing for us. Probably because our specs were very lovely, they made a shot in the dark, and they missed. Boss decides to end the development because vendor A's proposal will do what vendor B is developing but better.

Turns out vendor A's "proposal" was more of a sneak peak of a system already well into development. Turns out they did their own market research, got direct feedback from our customers and competitors, and made their own specs. Turns out it's going to be a direct competitor to one of our product lines. I guess management is putting on the pressure to make our product line actually competitive instead of a mishmash of vendor crap. I get copied on an email from my boss to vendor C: "Hey I'd liked to reconnect on this proposal you made 6 six years ago." lol

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
When I started at my company I negotiated up to the max PTO :smug: which is 4 weeks :smith:

My boomer coworker hasn't stopped by my office in a while, which is fine because that means no rants about masks or rants that start with "This administration :argh:" I think he hasn't stopped by because he's mad at me. A product manager keeps asking us for a meeting to go over our trip to a customer in the field. A trip where we were supposed to be working on the product that the product manager manages. This is the trip where boomer decided to work on another product. In our weekly product review meeting in front of everyone involved in the product, product manager asks for an update on our trip. Boomer coworker gives an update on how he worked on a system not related to the product. Product manager, baffled at his response, asks for a separate meeting to review the trip to the customer. We agree. Product manager sends out an email asking everyone's availability at a specific time next week. Boomer's calendar is blocked out in outlook, I assume to block people from inviting him to meetings. I respond that I'm available, feel free to book me any time my calendar shows free, and product manager sends a meeting invite. From this point, boomer has been avoiding me.

It's not my fault man. Just understand the purpose of the trip, do your job on the trip, write a trip report.
Petty bullshit.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I keep having to explain in meetings to review our customer trip that all the work that boomer coworker was doing had no bearing on the system we were actually supposed to be working on. Everyone is constantly bewildered by this. "So when he fixed the problems, the system worked?" Nope! Different system!

Turns out the system we were supposed to be working on had some devices configured incorrectly from the vendor. We didn't bring the right tools to configure them in the field, or configure them beforehand on the bench, or even check if they were configured correctly at all. I am being generous with the pronoun "we".

I don't ever want to hear him complaining about pronouns. Today he comes in to my office about a problem another customer is having. "When they turn it on and plug it in, it errors out. And when they plug it in and turn it on, it errors out. But when they turn it off and on, it's ok." The pronoun "it" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, because it refers to multiple things. I have to use nouns to pull the information out if this guy. Then I call the salesman who supposedly gave boomer this information, totally different answers. Specific answers. Some answers "I don't know" which is a great answer when trying diagnose something. Really sad that I'm getting more detail out of a sales guy than my boomer coworker with an engineering degree.
Boomer is asking me if I want to make a trip out to this customer. Hell yes I do. This might be something to do with that one and only system he cares about mucking around with.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Also when my boss dropped by my office to ask if I had partaken in any project management training, I reminded him that it coincided with a vendor meeting that he scheduled. He then hightailed it out of my office with alacrity.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Also if you are missing a phone please contact the receptionist as one was found in the men's bathroom.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I had some broken and worn parts that were taken off customer equipment. I've been resetting them to get them in a state to test how broken and worn they are. My boss decided to use them in another test that depends on them being not broken or worn.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Somehow I've gotten roped in to helping upgrade a testing system. The engineer wants to modify an electrical panel for a new test. The lab manager wants someone to buy him an entirely new panel. These two can't seem to talk to each other and are using me as an intermediary. I don't give a gently caress guys. If you have no test and no panel, I'm just as happy. Not my problem.

The engineer is also obsessed with data and accuracy. He's got this giant spreadsheet full of columns and columns of formulas, trying to calculate and model things to the nth degree. Part of the setup is supposed to be measuring 3 phase power, but it's only measuring two phases and the sensors have 3% full scale accuracy lol

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Every other day I walk in to the office, there is this one engineer chewing the receptionist's ear off about conspiracy theories.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
My boss is asking me for specs on a component. The specs are not on the drawing. I'm pretty sure he released the part and drawing.

I think he wants me to track down the specs so that he doesn't look like a dummy to the vendor. That's OK. We get this from a distributor. We don't even have a contact for the vendor.

I am certain these specs, while important, will never make it to an ECN.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

If it's an off the shelf part from a vendor with a known manufacturer and no alternatives you can usually use the vendor P/N and their name as the primary spec and be good to go, like "LRZ0805-R000_Welwyn" would be a completely viable spec so long as there's an easy to obtain data sheet on the part.

It's an off the shelf part. It's branded. Famous brand. The brand's website has no information on the part number, or anything like it that I can find in their catalog. I'm guessing it's not actually made by that company, and it's just rebranded. Searches for the part number just lead back to the distributor. Maybe it's a distributor exclusive? Procurement actually had a datasheet for it, from the distributor, with the specs I need.

Why do we source things this way? I have no idea.

This spec is important to the system my boss is trying to kludge together with poo poo off Amazon or wherever. I tried to ask him about the specs we're missing before, and that fell on deaf ears. Now some vendor he found is asking the same questions and all of a sudden he's listening.

He's asking the vendor if they are in the US, to which they're responding "Oh yes of course. Our headquarters is in the US. And a warehouse too!" Signed Sara Li with a Chinese phone number. Probably not related to this at all, I'm getting random Chinese vendors emailing me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

There's a possibility the distributor did some sort of last time buy and the OEM sold the design off. It happens all the time with outdated electronic components. I think I get what your boss is trying to do by breaking parts into their specs, it's great for raw materials or components that fall under industry standards like a valve or something, but complete crap for engineered items. Sure, an Ethernet switch does have some electronic specs behind it governing it's functions, but that doesn't mean I can use a Tripp-Lite in place of a Netgear or vice versa. Why? No loving clue, sometimes the programs we ran were coded with a very specific setup and if you had one thing different it would gently caress everything up. It got to the point where I pointed out I could bulk buy six foot cables and save money instead of buying some five and some six and got shot down because they tried it before and the ports didn't work right.

It's nothing like that.
He's looking for a performance spec. It's on the drawing for the old part. It's on the distributor's data sheet for the new part. It's not on the drawing for the new part because whoever released it just copied whatever was in the catalog listing and didn't bother with a data sheet or even looking at the old part drawing to understand what specs might be required.
The fact that procurement came up with a data sheet so quickly must mean that someone else had asked for something like this before. And our infallible documentation system of just some PDF sitting on someone's hard drive continues on.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't mind so much if you drop by my office for small talk and chit chat. Haha, yeah, the weekend sure was too short. Yeah, I didn't do anything this weekend either [I will never let you into my personal life]. Yeah, can't wait for next weekend. Yeah, four Mondays then a Friday then freedom, you are right. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Just don't steer the conversation toward how you thought Taylor Swift was hot when she was 17 and you were disappointed when she got fat.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

I had some broken and worn parts that were taken off customer equipment. I've been resetting them to get them in a state to test how broken and worn they are. My boss decided to use them in another test that depends on them being not broken or worn.

Test engineer: "We're stopping the test. It's just not working. These parts are really broken." No one could have predicted this.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

Test engineer: "We're stopping the test. It's just not working. These parts are really broken." No one could have predicted this.

Boss has decided the best method is to now buy new parts, break them, and test again.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
You can do like my boss does and continue to be an IC and not manage at all.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

People get into those roles sometimes just because of technical competency and they never really drop what they were doing before being promoted.

It's this, except he's an engineer and his Dunning Kruger brain means his perceived technical competency far exceeds his actual competency, so he doesn't drop what he should never have been doing.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
We're trying to test some janky piece of poo poo component that really isn't the right technology for this application. OK, whatever, not my call. I get the component ready for test, meticulously set it up correctly, reinforce it so that it won't break under test and will survive shipping and installation at the customer for their testing.

Test doesn't work. Hmm what could be the problem? "Take it apart so that we know you set it up correctly."

Pull it all apart. Verify everything is 100% correct. Change nothing. Test it again.

"Wow it works this time! Oh also between the time it failed test and when you took it apart, we tested it again and it operated correctly but we just didn't bother to look at the results until now."

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's not a very good testing average. What's stopping the janky piece of poo poo component from failing again at the customer?

I don't understand what you're talking about. We tested it and it works.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Them: Hi.

Me: Hello.

Them: *almost ten minutes of typing what they need me for, interspersed with long periods of no activity.*

Them: "Hi"
Me: *set status to Appear Away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Same reason CNC machines let you crash the spindle into the table