Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

zedprime posted:

Teaching the general population about PrtSc or the Snip tool is the worst genie wish ever. I don't know why screenshot OCR isn't a thing yet.

I know this is a month old, but it's such a good idea I can't stop wishing it was real.

They could call it "What the Snip?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Imagined posted:

The people who won't learn at 60 weren't any different at 20. They were lazy assholes who learned the bare minimum skills necessary to exist when they first became adults and never learned a single thing beyond that, only growing more and more out of date. People who want to learn never stop. People who don't want to learn never start.

I still see people at stores trying (and failing) to use EFTPOS. Once I had sympathy for them because they're usually in their 60s, but cards have been around since the early 1980s.

If you can't learn something that's been around for almost half a century, that's on you. Hell, I'm about to hit 50 and I'm still learning all the time

Some people just don't want to. They finished highscool and just stopped developing as a person.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Enfys posted:

It's hard to work if you have to keep track of a bunch of slurs you're not allowed to say

In the early 2000s I had a tolerance seminars with a bunch of STEM poisoned chemists and engineers and there was the inevitable very long argument between them all about how bullshit it was to not be able to use "technically accurate" terms, and I'm sure everyone can imagine just how fun that was to sit through.

So I asked the person giving the seminar if the company could provide a list of acceptable slurs for staff to use.

Turns out, no, they could not.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm going to find the goddamn key for my cabinet lock one of these days

You can get them on eBay for about $3.

If you can't find the key number on the lock itself, just buy a whole new lock for about $5.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Obviously the best response to "How do I identify someone?" is "Ask them."

But as someone who is literally on the other side of the world from the Americas, what is a good general way of referring to 'people from Central and South America'?

Because I'd go with that unless someone told me otherwise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm not sure how actually useful it is to lump us all together, but "people from Central and South America" should do it well enough if you really have to. At that point though, you might as well lump everyone from the continent together and call everyone American :p

More seriously, i think splitting by nationality is better, as mentioned up thread.

I was actually asking myself "When would I ever even need to refer to that part of the world while still being so incredibly vague?" because, yeah you're right, it really isn't that useful.

But the conversation was saying "Don't use this" so I wondered what could be used that would be acceptable.

And thanks to all the posters who helped answer that question.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cthulu Carl posted:

I had a job that did that. It was only as I walked out I realized after a year and a half there that THAT's what the tiny conference rooms in the lobby were for.

"Execution chambers" is what I've heard them called.

Theoretically they're for short meetings with venders and whatnot where it's not practical to bring them in past all the security theatre. But, yeah, they for loving over staff and getting them out of the building in the most efficient way possible while still trying to keep it a surprise beforehand.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Local Weather posted:

It seems to me that the over-arching goal of office spaces seems to be to make people wish they weren't there. I mean when I was a kid visiting my dad at work so many people had offices, then when I went to work at a corporate job there were cubes. After a while they did away with the cubes and made "bullpens". Now there aren't even cubes, just rows of tables with people sitting next to each other, even managers and senior people.

It's probably one of the big reasons people want to work at home.

I'm so glad it's not (yet) that bad where I am.

When I first saw Rita Ora's Your Song video, I thought she was just making use of a corridor and just shoved business type extras in there to fill in space. Turns out, that's literally how a lot of people work now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsELrcVNzG0&t=80s

Seems like a living nightmare. Find an uncomfortable stool at a bench, plug in your laptop and spend the next 8 hours wishing you were dead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

happyhippy posted:

The new system was designed by a group of fuckwits that missed simple UI stuff.

That's what happens when systems are designed by people who will never use it and have no idea how it actually needs to be used.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MA-Horus posted:

The TPS can huff the farts straight from my rear end, I'm so sick of hearing about it.

It works GREAT for Toyota. It doesn't work great for all manufacturing.

It also needs a management culture which respects their workers, their experience and their opinions.

Speaking of not listening to or respecting workers, the Musk thread was just talking about companies doing surveys about why they can't keep staff and no one wants to work for them.

I've done more than one such survey and, in each case, anyone who was naive enough to mention anything negative about the company was talked to by management.

"Yes we're haemorrhaging staff, but how loving dare you suggest this company's practices, pay and culture are, in any way, subpar. That is not what this survey was for."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

CitizenKain posted:

I actually wonder what my direct supervisor does. I know that they have a lot meetings with other groups, and probably management things, but this guy is something else. A previous manager would still have a one on one once every two weeks, along with a weekly team and weekly group call. Not to mention would just chat occasionally.
This current guy shows up for the team meeting, and then disappears the rest of the week. I haven't talked to him for longer then 5 minutes in over a month. Might even be two by this point. Coworkers say the same, so he's off doing..something?

I don't need someone micromanaging things at all, been there before, but it would be nice to have someone check in occasionally.

They're schmoozing up to their bosses, trying to get a promotion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Takes No Damage posted:

Is this a regional/USA thing? Here 90% of smoke detectors just have a 9v battery.

In Australia we're moving over to totally sealed units with a 10 year battery. You pull the tab out to activate it and write the date on the side.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Natural immunity - It worked with the black death!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's the smallest things that are the most annoying.

We started to use ipads a while ago for a bunch of stuff and they have a bunch of annoying issues. The worst ones stems from whenever software updates come from Apple.

We're not allowed to accept it until IT makes sure all our poo poo is going to continue working. That's not the bad part on its own because it does make sense. The problem is that the update notification randomly pops up a dozen times a day when you're trying to do poo poo and it steals focus from your tasks and stops you from doing anything until you tell it to gently caress off.

And, of course, it takes forever for IT to give us the go-ahead to update. We're currently on week five of "Software Update!"

Every time we've complained and asked them to turn off the notifications we've been told that it has to be this way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

BitBasher posted:

I think the real Dumb poo poo your work does is using iPads at all without having enterprise management tools already in place to solve this, assuming there is such a thing for iPads. If not then the real problem is using woefully improper tools for an enterprise use case.

We did have proper management tools and great equipment.

Then they took them all away and gave us iPads.

:eng99:

EDIT:

Motronic posted:

There are at least 2 flavors of common and easily available mobile device management that work on ipads that would completely solve the issue.

Of loving course. Now the question is whether IT is just lazy, lovely or underfunded.

Answer: It's all three

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 25, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This is literally why I typed out instructions for everything we do in the lab, laminated it and put it in folders next to the appropriate work area.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Powered Descent posted:

~~~just work-from-home things~~~

Paranoid of being asked why I occasionally go "inactive" in Slack, today I set up a simple mouse wiggler to run on my work macbook,

I just bought a cheap analogue clock to make a mouse mover.

Got the instructions here

Buy cheap clock off ebay:

Print out 'static' pattern:

Cut pattern to fit and stick it to the second hand:

Magic:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Shoutout to all the poor fuckers currently working for Netflix who are currently speedrunning "stupid poo poo your works does" right into the loving ground.

Next week there will be a bunch of C-suits standing around a smouldering crater wondering why their obviously brilliant ideas didn't work*.

Sorry for the memey image, but this puts everything they're doing all together in one place:

* then they'll shrug, take their golden parachutes and move straight into another company owned by some guy they went to school with or play golf with and make millions of dollars a year and never look back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

goatface posted:

Make a crab stout. Like oyster stout only with pubic lice.

One thing I learned from watching the Hannibal series is that you can brew beer from meat.

Now, I'm not suggesting the beer goons kill their employers and brew a lager from their corpses but it certainly seems to me it would be solving more problems than it would cause.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

McGavin posted:

The muscles that move the fingers are also in the hand. Fingers are pretty much just bones and tendons.

The muscles that move the fingers are in your forearm.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Outrail posted:

'Give me my monitor and I'll submit a trivially easy ticket once a month.'

You say this as a joke, but I may just do this at my work.

KPIs exist solely to gently caress with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
IT changed the icons for all our in-house programs. I do not know why they did this, but I want to set them on fire. No, the programs themselves weren't updated.

Yes, the programs still have the names under them* but it's loving with everyone's work process. All the old icons were very Windows 3.1 in appearance, but you could move to any workstation and see which program you needed to open instantly, no matter how the regular user had set poo poo up.

We were told there was going to be an update, but didn't realise how pointless and stupid it was going to be.

* except for the ones on our lovely ipads. They have the new icons and no text :eng99:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Escape From Noise posted:

No. I know it's really bad. Someone could have easily died. I cannot believe he burnt through two or more loving gas canisters like that. I'm not in a position to really do anything. The head chef was (rightfully) pissed.

Edit: I can't remember when the head chef told me this and in retrospect, I shouldn't have just gone in. I'll bring it up on Monday when I'm back at work. I guess I was so focused on how dumb the manager was that I didn't think about how dumb I was.

They need to buy a CO2 alarm. Immediately.

How is there an enclosed space with CO2 canisters and no CO2 alarm :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So glad Australia mandates that you must have alarms if you have CO2 in a non ventilated area. Australian Standard AS5034-2005.

loving insane that some countries* don't.

* The US. It's always the US

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

Incorrect, but nice research-free assumption.

I know OP's in Japan, but assume all the other poster aren't.

Besides, whenever horrible unsafe working conditions are mentioned, assuming it's America is a pretty safe bet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ceciltron posted:

This was a mediun sized family-owned business on it's second generation of ownership in Canada.

Oh god, the only thing worse than working for a family business is working for a second generation family business.

First gen are still around to tell you nothing you're doing is right and second gen are so far up their own arses that you can't tell them anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ravus Ursus posted:

Lol. Lmao even. Every time I've tried to teach someone a better way I've been reprimanded for interfering with their workflow by their managers after the person I taught complained.

I'm stopped offering help and instead watch people write down numbers on a sticky note. Close and save the excel file. Open the other file. Then hand key in the number from the note. And repeat for each number.

This is why I don't read this thread too often, because I'm sitting here screaming.

I've worked with people like that and, dear loving god, do they make me want to pull my hair out or just shake them until all the stupid in their heads falls out their ears.