Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wilderthanmild posted:

Not him unless he completely changed appearance, name, and accent. I was actually really shocked to find out how common this whole "digital nomad" thing is either as a fantasy or a reality.

You can make it work, and you can make it work well. The same way you can go to Japan to teach english, or go to Korea to do whatever ex-pat bullshit they have a lock on. Or go to Thailand for....reasons. You can get a 40 hour a week lovely IT job paying $40k with no benefits and live fairly well in a lot of the lower cost of living areas. All you need is a laptop, internet, and the willingness to either work from 11 PM to 8 am every day, or finding a job that lets you do your computer janitoring/code touching after normal business hours.

But like most of those people who post about going to Japan to teach english, they learn it sucks, it's not for them, and they quit and go back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have altered your employment, pray I don’t alter it any further.

These nice men from legal are going to explain how your pension has been transitioned to 5-7 years of guaranteed housing, food, and medical care, courtesy of the charges we've filed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TotalLossBrain posted:

At a previous job, we had "sales engineers". They didn't have the best reputation amongst other engineering staff.

Come to think of it, they were literally the folks that talked to the customers so the other engineers didn't have to.

Really all depends on the engineer. A good one is able to reign in the rear end in a top hat sales guy who will promise a from-scratch CRM in 4 months, despite the fact that your company's product is IoT hog feed dispensers. A bad one just nods along with whatever, then fucks off to play golf or sleep in his car.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Remulak posted:

No corkage fees? I loved it when some rich dude brought in e.g. some magnum or jeroboam (e.g. https://shopsk.com/products/perrier...8saAiUjEALw_wcB) then that's a $100+ corkage fee straight to the service staff.

Actually, not sure if that was policy or just something we did.....

Corkage is a very common thing is most restaurants, where for $25 or whatever they'll take the wine you brought, pop the top and put it in a wine decanter for you. It's a hell of a deal if you have a bottle of something you know you like that you get for $40 at Costco, but it's $130/bottle at the restaurant.

It would be odd not to have it as an option, but I could see a few reasons why a location wouldn't want outside food or drink, full stop. Like insurance or licensing reasons.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 15, 2022

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Critical posted:

Had to google that and fuckin LMAO no

as an update: no further response, sent an email asking about the scope of the breach with no reply, and everyone is acting as if the email with a list of personal info and SSNs doesn't exist. in fact the email is still accessible in my inbox (not a IT guy so I don't know the logistics of removing it from the server or if it can even be done) i feel like I'm insane because I'm furious and literally no one else gives a poo poo, even those I warned.

I had my funds transferred to a new checking account and the old one frozen so it can only receive deposits since I get paid on friday. will be switching to paper checks for a while. got fraud alert put on my credit profile so I have to be contacted in the case of any new accounts opening.

almost forgot, got scolded because I missed teams call due to being on the phone with my bank preventing the mess they caused. nearly walked on the spot and I'm still entertaining the idea.

Look into your state's laws on PII breach and breach disclosure. Most are written along the lines of "within X days of a breach being noticed, you must inform all affected persons". Wait until after the statutory time limit where fines are issued, then narc on them to the enforcement/whistleblower line.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Aramoro posted:

Everyone in our company has to take anti-bribery and corruption training which is all multiple choice.

Someone offers you a bribe, do you

a) take the bribe
b) INFORM COMPLIANCE IMMEDIATELY
c) ask your manager if you think you should take the bribe.

C, depending on the current negotiation, legal framework in your country of business, and ongoing drama, it might be a sound management decision to take the bribe in a way that's recorded and use it to extort better terms out of them. Best to ask management if a business ratfucking can be facilitated.

Also be sure to ask in writing, so if they decide to push you under the bus if there is blowback, you can state that you did so under orders.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Alright, I think this iteration of the Agile derail has run its course. Give it a rest or I'll start handing out lean six sigma sixers.

Can I get a Lean Six Sigma Sixer? I need to rightsize my posting throughput by focusing on my core values and implementing a total quality management system to eliminate the gap between what I post and what people want to read. If possible, can it include this dynamic tetragonal value concentration solid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

WonkyBob posted:

You're a better person than I. I'd email the HR heads direct report (CCing them in) and say "including HR in this report is three additional days of work. As it is non-essential I will require it to be correctly formatted when sent to me or, going forward, it will not be included as it is costing the company X amount of money".

His place of work sounds like the kind of place where the head of HR would take a look at that, blow his loving stack, then twist it to be an attack on his Boss's Boss's competence, and sic some C-level pettiness on him.

The only way to get that to stop would be to fail miserably and abjectly to get the report done on time, then shove every bit of HR's bullshit at everyone in an attempt to shove HR under the bus, which depending on a ton of corporate culture and propensity towards ratfucking each other, could blow back way harder on Cyrano than on the HR dipshit. Sadly, bitching about it here and enjoying a beer is probably about the most productive thing he can do in the immediate term.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

naem posted:

Before People Department it was called Human Resources, and before HR it was Personnel, and before it was Personnel they just let people assault each other at work openly

The good old days, where men were men, women were also sometimes men (so they could enter the workforce), there was a typing pool of lonely single young women, and if you thought your boss was a piece of poo poo, well the parking lot's secluded enough for your purposes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Atopian posted:

Yeah, it's good to reach the understanding with your boss that "I won't go looking for trouble, but equally don't bring trouble to me. And asking me to commit fraud by writing one thing then doing another is absolutely bringing trouble."

Welcome to another exciting round of "Stupid Games, Stupid Prizes", I'm your host, FAA Inspector Dave, here to ask you questions about your written instructions telling people to violate consent decree settlement terms. Yes, I'm perfectly willing to wait while you shred those incriminating documents, and no, "No evidence or wrongdoing" doesn't exonerate you, and no your FAA certificate is no longer active.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Escape From Noise posted:

Brewing with liters and kilograms/grams, in Celsius is soooooo much easier to conceptualize/work with. Lol. Yeah. Let's use barrels as a liquid volume measurement. No beer barrels. Those are different from wine, whiskey, oil, etc. 31 gallons. Yep. That's really easy to divide and scale. Get hosed imperial measurements!

This recipe calls for 23 drams of wort per hogshead of malt. Make it happen!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Yeah. I don't think they get it although the "do crazy poo poo" directive has slowed down a bit. I think doing experimental stuff every so often is a good idea, but you definitely need your bread and butter beers. We'll see. I also just hate pastry stouts and lactose beers in general. I'll do what I'm asked, but with something like an imperial stout that's so much time and effort, I'd like to make something less crazy.

Cheese Danish Stout
Orange Marshmallow Peep Stout
Smoked Pulled Pork Stout
Septuple Hopped IPA
Zero Carb Pilsner
Salmon Doppelbock

And I dunno, the usual boring/cheap/easy beers everyone always buys 4 pitchers of on game night.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Poil posted:

Do you trust them to manage to delete the correct files? :shepface:

I trust them to whatever they want, then blame them for not reading the Employee handbook page that says all business critical files must be backed up using *process that takes 500x longer than I needs to*. End of the day "I tried to recover the files but due to retention policies was unsuccessful, sorry boss' boss' boss.".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If poo poo broke on Monday at 7am, we would have a band aid before noon. IDK what that band aid looks like but it’s probably ugly as poo poo.

The band-aid is a big piece of grease stained duct tape, with the faded word 'gently caress' written on it in sharpie. It's been there for years, you're pretty sure the other pieces of tape are covering up other words, and nobody has the time, money or give a poo poo to carefully peel it all off and fix what originally broke.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

Removing any of the bandaids causes the system to shut down. Nobody understands why except an 89 year old living in southern Guatamala, who can only be contacted three days a month via passenger pigeon delivered messages.

The correct days in which to contact him can only be determined via a complex system of auguries, horoscopes, and Zodiac Killer cryptograms. If the pigeon is dispatched on an incorrect day, it's is ritualistically fed to the dark creatures responsible for continued uptime, and you are invoiced for 'emergency response to trouble ticket'.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

After factoring in the cost of de-extinctifying passanger pigeons the CEO still thinks this is better than actually paying for an updated system.

Nah, the legal team was able to determine that 'passenger pigeon' was an ambiguous statement, and was not intended to be a specific breed of pigeon, only that it was a pigeon that was a passenger on some other method of transportation. The Arbitrators sided with the people who bribed them the most, so now all communications are poorly scanned printouts of faxes, taped to a random park pigeon they catch, and are delivered via bicycle messenger.

The CEO looked at the expense of the other option, but determined that legal fuckery and torturing the english language and contract law to get what he wanted was less risky than the more traditional crimes against god and ethical boundaries found in revivifying the dead.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

McGavin posted:

Time to either ask for a raise and a company phone or find a new job.

Settle for nothing less than a company car.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

As an industry thing I really hate the recent trend of calling lagers "Crispy Bois".

The gently caress?

That's it's that's the totality of my commentary. What the gently caress?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

boar guy posted:

gee sorry you've each only made 800k so far this year and you were supposed to be at a mil point four or whatever by now. better work real hard for the rest of the year so that you don't take away the rest of our bonuses

Open book only works when the CEO to peon salary ratio is like 6:1 or better, and everyone gets bonuses at the end of the year based on hard fixed numbers. Fixed bonuses only cause people to work juuust hard enough to maybe possibly get them, depending on if leadership is halfway trustworthy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ben shapino posted:

So what's the problem

Boss is actively setting him up to fail?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RocketMermaid posted:

Oh, hello my two years doing litigation support for a Chicago law firm. Love to get reprimanded for my PCs having "too much uptime" by the IT manager because my Pentium 3 workstations were all chugging away at 250,000 pages of OCR that the lawyers were too cheap to shop out to a legit ediscovery place, and being told to grow the department when the IT manager wouldn't even expand our server space when our database drive was down to SINGLE-DIGIT MEGABYTES.

To be entirely fair, 99% of the screwy poo poo I see in my day to day job can be traced back to 'computer has been on for a week/month/fiscal quarter, and REALLY wants a reboot'. It was even worse in the bad old days where a P3 might conceivably been still in actual use in an office environment.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah I really struggle to understand the concept that the company gives me the credit card and then I have to pay it off and then they pay me back... like why not just get the expense confirmed and then have them pay off the credit card directly?

Still, could be worse, I had a company phone when I started and every month you had to pay it off yourself and then reclaim in as an expense. They stopped that system a while back so the company just pays the bill themselves every time (crikey - progress!!!). I was still glad to get rid of it at the first opportunity though.q

It's specifically so you're spending your money, and you're on the hook for everything the card is used for, and if by some chance they feel generous enough to pay you for something you put on it, there is a process wherein they waste your time for a month before paying you.

If you had a company card tied to the company account, and you went and bought snacks with it, they can't deduct the snacks from your paycheck, they'd have to ask YOU for THEIR money back, and they refuse to allow that to happen.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TotalLossBrain posted:

Has this goon reported back to his desk yet?

The poo poo was on his boss' desk, and was used to write 'I quit' on the wall. He even added one of those little paper umbrellas to it, to keep it classy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ben shapino posted:

Tell me I'm making the right choice... The money is so good but the job succcccckkkkssssssss and I don't respect these people at all

Heed the words of the wise guru, he who has seen some poo poo, and will impart his wisdom upon you.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rgljyrIx681r0uzl6.mp4

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Use dish soap gel to write dicks on the cast iron and leave it like that overnight.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

But in your boss’s defense teams loving sucks.

In Teams' defense, it not meant to be administrated by morons. It's perfectly usable if it's you and three other IT guys using it!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

McGavin posted:

How does that work? Do they peek at your weiner or what?

They ask for your Mother-in-law's number, then call to ask her why you're such a disappointment.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not built like the mannequin but I look all right. Not posting a shot of me in the shirt without someone buying me archives.

New one:

We shut down for Hurricane Ian and I'm gonna miss 20 hours this week on my schedule. We're "guaranteed" 40 hours a week though and early whispers are that we'll be offered the opportunity to "make up the hours". Well gently caress that. I contacted HR asking if they're considering any other options beyond "working 60 hours next week at base pay".

Between this and the collar, I'm worried I'm landing on the wrong people's radar

Unless you had a flex schedule in place, federally they gotta pay you time and a half for all hours over 40 in a week. Depending on how load bearing that set of airquotes around "Guaranteed" is, they might just tell everyone to pound sand, force majure/acts of god/go gently caress yourselves you aren't being paid.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

Liberate 20 hours worth of poo poo from the office and say the hurricane took it.

I mean, you can also do that too.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

madeintaipei posted:

How drunk were they while asking?

Query: Resinated beer, à la retsina. Is this a thing? Can it be weaponized?

Like, a pine resin? Epoxy resin? What kind of resin is going into these beers?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Animal-Mother posted:

Accepting more and more new students every year but not hiring more staff to match, leaving everybody in every department working harder every day.

"Do more with less!"

We're not alchemists. You can't get blood from a stone.

But you can pretty easily squeeze more work out of that "Work life balance"!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Toxic Mental posted:

But what if my job is a complete farce and I ca make more money skimming minutes every day?

Double dip and take the vacation as well?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Salami Surgeon posted:

I don't mind so much if you drop by my office for small talk and chit chat. Haha, yeah, the weekend sure was too short. Yeah, I didn't do anything this weekend either [I will never let you into my personal life]. Yeah, can't wait for next weekend. Yeah, four Mondays then a Friday then freedom, you are right. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Just don't steer the conversation toward how you thought Taylor Swift was hot when she was 17 and you were disappointed when she got fat.

Could be worse, could be your 40 year old coworker flexing his encyclopedic knowledge of the Hannah Montana show.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

:agreed: simplicity is key

I disagree. Sometimes a more complex system has a better payoff. Why take the time out of your day to beat your boss yourself with the sack of doorknobs, when you can hang the sack from a rope and have it slam into them at speed Home Alone style? Or rig up the Co2 tanks to a modified pony keg and potato gun smaller sacks of door knobs at them?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RocketMermaid posted:

To be fair, the main lineup had been established early on and the test batches were made on a 1BBL pilot system before being scaled up to the 30BBL. Although we got confident enough in our techniques and methods that we started skipping pilot testing and just went for full batches, including when we started making kettle sours successfully. It helps having experienced professionals developing your recipes instead of a bunch of fuckhead amateur techbros.

Fuckhead Techbro Presents: Hazy Milk Sour IPA Stout, aged in cherry wood sherry barrels, and octuple hopped because gently caress you.

What other crimes against yeast and good taste will Fuckhead Techbro Brewing make? Oreo cookie and tobasco dark sour? Fruit salad summer shandy? An IPA with so many hopps that they put one in every bottle like the scorpion in the cheap 90s tequila?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tarkus posted:

They may need to get oversize (but still in size) taps or tap drill to max of standard. Or they could be using the wrong cutting geometry for the taps. High Nickel alloys like Inconel like to shrink around a tap because the tap is only pushing the material away from it, not cutting it completely. Emuge makes excellent taps for exactly that purpose and are worth the extra price.

I do wonder over what timeframe the holes shrink back up, or if some later part of the process does enough thermally or mechanically to stress relieve the threads and cause them to grow slightly. Or they do the hole pattern, then hog the poo poo out of something nearby and the holes go slightly oval due to cutting forces.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

madeintaipei posted:

Have you tried drinking at work? I could never get away with that due to the whole driving thing, but I hear good things.

If you don't have a hidden fifth of driving whisky, you haven't truly lived.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Skanky Burns posted:

Counterpoint: drunk drivers can absolutely get hosed

Counter-counter-point: Doing dumb Initial D tier bullshit in whatever racing game you like is WAY more fun shithammer wasted than it is sober.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Buttchocks posted:

Jerks: Oh look the system is down again thanks for calling try again next week after the helpline gets assigned a new phone number that we won't announce anywhere. Also we won't reimburse these if they're filed past the deadline that ends at noon today. *click*

Sounds like someone needs to steal office supplies equal to reimbursement x 3. Also refuse to do any reimbursable travel citing previous unpaid reimbursements.

Update your resume, reimbursement shenanigans is step 2 of 12 on the 'business, our business is being a business! E.G. Sears'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Not a Children posted:

I did that in similar circumstances and was told "check back in 6 months"

Instead of that I followed through on some interviews and secured a 30% raise

Checking back in with your old co-workers after 6 months is pretty great though. Especially when you learn that you were the leading lemming that caused half the department to gently caress off since then.