Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GEMorris posted:

I cant figure out how to even buy units on Fidelity, e.g. I search for SPAQ.U and just get an error

on fidelity it's SPAC/U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Thank you for the OP, FistEnergy. And thanks for posting in the doomsday econ thread about it, otherwise I wouldn't have found out about SPACs. :D

I've read every single post up to this point, and am wanting to dip my toes in with a small amount. Let's say I have $1000 to throw at this money furnace. What would a "beginner strategy" look like? Invest it in a single SPAC to get a feel for how various news/announcements/lack of them affect the price? Or spread it out amongst like ten different ones?

Also, how does capital gains taxation works with active trading? I have Fidelity. Do I need to painstakingly keep track of every purchase and sale I make on a spreadsheet, or does the broker do that for me and send me a form when the time comes to file taxes?

The broker should know your cost basis if you buy through them so they'll send you a 1099 with all your gains and losses.

If you're a beginner make sure you understand the wash sale rule that can disallow claiming losses.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

me a few days ago: CCIV has its DE so it's probably topped out. now these weed stocks on the other hand...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Warrants are pretty much identical to call options with the strike price at e.g. $11.50 with the exception that you can't exercise them before a certain date.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CPUH (health tech focused) had what looks like a single huge buy at 2:26 today and units are now around 11.40

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rolo posted:

I understand how common price and timing would typically play a roll but what influences a warrant price to be worth upwards of 3 if the commons are staying below 11 like MTAC is doing? Hype?

premium for leverage I suppose

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What happened to the account announcement? Wasn’t it supposed to be at 9am est?

If you're talking about sentinelone their thing is tomorrow.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nosre posted:

Must be nice to move things by 10-15% just by shitposting on the internet

That's nothing, one guy got elected president doing that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I think I'm finally coming around to the wisdom of the SPAClords: buy into a 1/2 warrant SPAC close to NAV before the warrants split off. It puts so many things in your favor it's crazy. You get in before the Robinhood folks (I guess they can't buy units?), you have several catalyst event opportunities to sell, and you get both commons and warrants. It seems quite a few people sell the commons to lock in profits then hold on to the warrants speculatively.

SpacDaddy posted a list of 180 SPACs pretty close to NAV: https://www.spacdaddy.com/post/the-ultimate-spac-resource

Nice, thanks for the link.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

checkered flag = finish line = startup exit = going public via spac????

follow the breadcrumbs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

laxbro posted:

Lol r/spac pumping each other up to buy more and hold long term.

People trying to talk about the valuation and dilution getting shouted down.

So many bags are going to get held on this.

💎🙌

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

buying some CPUH units

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What happens if you ask to split units but you don't have a whole number of warrants?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Handen posted:

After I bailed on CCIV I did a little sleuthing and opened a sizeable position in SCVX warrants.

From what I’ve seen, SentinelOne is SCVX’s number 1 prospective target, and having an announcement 30 mins prior to market open might imply something related.

:fap:

Was this announcement really just that they were sponsoring a racing team? How is that a "new era of cybersecurity" lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Handen posted:

Is there a way to have commons assigned to you at below NAV using options? I saw someone on reddit mention that was their strategy, which received a single comment reply to the tune of "shh, don't ruin it for the rest of us."

Edit:

Chamath PIPEs: RMGB and RAAC. RMGB tanked, RAAC skyrocketed.

Selling puts with a strike below 10 bucks would do it. The underlying would need to go below the strike price before someone would want to make you buy them though.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 24, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Got a giant 2.5 pound pile of paper with MTAC's prospectus in the mail today. It's single sided lol.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Teeter posted:

Am I missing something or does this basically mean free warrants when the split occurs?

if you think the post-split shares are worth 10.02 yes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I like SPAQ and CPUH units at 10.50.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Today I got three more giant SPAC prospectuses in the mail. Fidelity paid like 9 dollars apiece to mail these to me lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Burn Zone posted:

gently caress yeah glad I grabbed NSH last week. up +15% pre-market. let's see how open looks.

Oh no it gave up half of that in less than 10 minutes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wish I had dumped all of my NSH premarket when it was at 12

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

NSH down all the way from 12 at open to 11 now lol. Guess nobody likes this satellite company

e: Should I get out of the rest of my position or hope for it to creep back up tomorrow?

e2: next time i'm holding at DA i'll sell the whole thing premarket

e3: ended up closing everything out at exactly 11 right before close except for one share out of curiosity so i can keep an eye on it

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 1, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SPAC and ham don't even rhyme

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't everytime the fucker runs his mouth it makes me money

you were in on dogecoin?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Divot posted:

I guess the question is, what are the meme SPAC's that would benefit from an Elon tweet?

are there any blockchain ones?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SRNG units are under 10.80

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/GillianTan/status/1366941486193938435?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Attn: this thread

https://twitter.com/SEC_Investor_Ed/status/1369693319220101121?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

have there been any good DA bumps at all lately? like since cciv?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

another signed DA followed by a selloff on the same day

https://twitter.com/spencerrascoff/status/1372537060830048262?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tetramin posted:

As a concept, it seems like SPACs won’t just permanently suck like they have for the past couple of weeks. Maybe the hype is over but all the DAs I know of have been extremely lackluster? I dunno it’s weird to see stuff that was close to $11 3 weeks ago in the 9.90s. Unless CCIV really was a huge last hurrah

If the reason the DAs are lovely is because there's too many SPACs eager to sign lovely deals after the hype caused more money to pour into more and more spacs, then the only thing that would reverse that trend is for the sector to get less buyer-crowded

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iirc schwab charges a fee for splitting units. might be worth considering transferring your holding to a brokerage that doesn't before splitting

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ASTS, formerly known as NPA, is eating poo poo like crazy lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FYI if anyone's holding TWCT, Celebrite, the Israeli phone hacking company they're merging with, is now in a spat with Signal where Signal seems to have owned their hacking software.

https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1384906127360548869?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SPAC In Black: Should have bought Bitcoins

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

feet pic NFTs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anyone itt hit the jackpot by holding DWAC and getting in on the ground floor of Trump's new social media juggernaut

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

At this rate look out for him to start pumping GME in a couple months

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tyro posted:

Terrible (but profitable) company Black Rifle Coffee is going public via SPAC.

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/black-rifle-coffee-spacs-are-logical-blend-2021-11-04/

imagine being these guys and thinking you're about to strike gold by giving conservatives an outlet to invest in that owns the libs and then trump himself sucks all the oxygen out of the room literally days before you get to cash in

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not even trump was able to make SPACs great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can these last couple I still own just get around to buying a gas station or something so I can nope out of the deal and get my $10 back