Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I have a weird thing where I remember I can move, like, stonecutters and stuff for free but I’ll drop a smelter and then be frown about its position for a week as tho I couldn’t just move that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

^^^ this

My perverse joy on this game is to log in while the rest of the village is offline and just... tend to poo poo. Is there mead brewing? Are the chests organized? How about the stone and wood piles?

The rest of my group is falling off now that we’ve hit “endgame” in the Plains but I’m still riding that pastoral norse high. The village looks kinda lonely since mine is the only house with a fire going. Started loading a longship with a Complete Outpost Kit of metals and cores and stuff. Plan to sail NW until I hit Deep North and I’ll make a settlement as a sea raider. Game is really relaxing and the Deep North is (for now) really peaceful and pretty.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Oh and here’s a drawing I did of our Saga. Not totally done but enough to share.

Left panel is our fight w Bonemass, which was so lagged that “Odin” (aka admin console) blessed us with frost arrows unending, that we might slay the beast.
Middle panel is our village, main hall is on the left side and that thing on the mountain is the hall of portals.
Right panel is our ascent to Moder, which had us climbing shear cliff faces up to the mountaintop where her altar waited. That climb was intense, both because of Stam mgmt and drakes but also cuz we had Danheim playing during it which made poo poo feel suitably dire.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Pleasantly surprised by how many mods work without modding the server. Got some real QOL stuff going now. I can recycle old gear for half the mats, I can gobble up trophies for small skill bumps, and my exploration radius scales with my Run skill. Little things, but they’ve filed off just enough friction to keep me hooked.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Gort posted:

Whoa, trophies for skill points makes so much sense.

It’s a decently minimal mod too. Just a dll. The skill is picked randomly, and rarer trophies give bigger boosts. You “eat” them like food, but I’ve been making myself “sacrifice” them when I get back to my base’s weird altar thing cuz that seems more ~immersive~.

Helps shore up your weak skills like Swim, too.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Chop the base out of a spire in Plains. Stone for days.

Yeah. It’s a baffling amount of stone. If you find one by the coast you can knock it down, load it into a long boat and leave. Boom.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I keep thinking I’m done w this for now, but then I crest a hill or round a corner and I see some poo poo that gets me real excited again. Last night I found two BIG stone ruins on the slopes of a mountain I’m settling, and then learned there’s plains at the foot of said mountain. Which means every biome is present on that continent, with a mountain so tall you can hardly see the sea below. So I gotta build some poo poo worthy of the location.

drat.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

As a holdover solution I really recommend the mod (can’t look up rn, at work) that scales explo off Run skill. It’s not perfect but it’s given me something juuust mechanical enough to feel Real. Especially w Run leveling naturally as you travel. Now every Run level is another meter of mapping and I am a distance marathon god.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah keep that frost res mead handy for Wet Emergencies. I had to go on a lengthy corpse trip after a brief rainstorm at sea made me vulnerable to the cold of the Deep North. Hadn’t been eating cuz I was just sailing around and I froze to death super quick.

Found a cool stone tower last night perfectly overlooking some Plains. Started working on the tower and renovating it when I hear a big ol grunt and see a 2-star troll with a log coming over for a visit. Then I hear goblin laughter from the other direction.

The little shits came after the troll by coming THROUGH MY BUILDING and so he swatted at them with his log and brought the whole bitch down. Sad to lose the tower but it was a great fight and the ruins are a fun landmark.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Eik is my default. We have a Stones portal in our hub, so I’ll pop in there to grab Moder/Elder if I know I’m bout to need it, but I default back to Eik after. Bonemass I’ll take either as a panic button for when I’m sneaking, or to fight particular baddies (hello starred berserker).

My friends and I would do LOCUST BOAT where you take a longboat to an island you don’t care about, pop Eik and Elder, and then just fuckin devour the forest. Then you go home and stack it all up and you have wood for days.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah I think the golems could be replaced w snow giants or frost trolls pretty easily. Could still be craggy and look like boulders at first glance, but a bit more rooted in the Viking vibe.

Tho perhaps this is what the Deep North will hold

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh dip, I never even thought of that! Not a bad idea without using dev commands, thank you

Yup, that's the plan! Should be exciting, need to find some good music to accompany it, ha

https://youtu.be/e2LLS33eQvk

Run! RUN!

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yooo that continent rules. Love the big rear end sea you got in the middle.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Speaking of which have y’all seen the drakes flying off into the distance? I can’t tell if it’s been coincidence or what but several times I’ve seen them in a flock almost, flying away from the mountain until they vanish from sight. Seems to happen at sunrise or sunset.

If it’s not intentional I hope they preserve whatever causes it. Very cool looking.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also if you’re sailing a river or channel and don’t wanna slap your boat around. But I usually just row those until I’m out. No hurry on the boat. Just smokin and sailin and singin.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Heck yeah. Makes sense that it took a while, then. And cool to see them doing that overhaul sooner rather than later

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Our village, which is fairly terraformed but not completely, gained a good ten FPS after updating it with the command. Nice.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My great uncle living in the UP of Michigan once ran down and killed a deer with a knife IRL. Wasn’t nude AFAIK but absolutely wouldn’t put it past him

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Holy poo poo I had no idea about the flare

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Speaking of invasions, got a new one recently. The skeleton surprise is a lot of loving skeletons, goddamn.

The skeletons are tired of fighting

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

What's nuts to me is that a persistent server with say...20-30 players and some kind of goods market mechanic and you would have a really interesting looking game. You could be Vlad the Beekeeper or Ingrid's high-seas metal shipping.

We didn’t quite reach that point but our server had two clans that set off in opposite directions from spawn. We traded back and forth and sold each other goods as well as maps for sailing. My clan ended up settling a raspberry farm early on and healing mead became a really valuable export.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

They’re a five person studio that doesn’t even have an office yet. I’m thrilled for them and already got my $20 out of the game, and I’ll enjoy the updates all the more knowing people got to enjoy making them. These folks seem really splendid and I hope they don’t get overwhelmed.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I paid 20 for the game but also for the updates about a nice horse

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Agreed about the VR, if you have the means it’s loving wild. I loaded our old built-up world and fled the slideshow main base for my little solo hut. It’s... really really relaxing. I went hunting some trolls and stuff, but the part that really hooked me was just walking through the meadows and forests. Picking berries. Slashing the occasional greyling.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This barely registers on my “bad update” scale but I used to play Elite so if the game launches I call it a win.

Food changes were a bummer but glad to see they’re easing off on some of them. My friends and I are taking a very leisurely pace on our new world - it’s so relaxing to just roam the meadows, pick berries, stalk deer. Maybe one day we’ll kill a guy.

We’re very relaxed Vikings.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My biggest wish for boats is a cabin and storage so you can live on a boat to a greater extent. I’m playing our new world as a sorta boat nomad, mostly settling for short periods in the ruined buildings I find along the coast, most spaced a day’s sail from each other. No portals or anything so I gotta plan my trips and manage my cargo.

It’s incredibly relaxing. Not a lotta real threats to kill me, just sailing down the coast and fixing up little huts to sleep for the night. Might settle somewhere eventually but I can’t resist the itch to explore.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I’d say tame a Lox to protect your settlement but their stomp attacks absolutely destroy everything.

I tamed and saddled one after a lotta creeping around the plains. They’re great for overland travel, since their stamina pool is enormous and they move faster than a naked Viking. But their big hit box means they can get beat up real quick, especially by deathsquitoes. If one gets a “sneak attack” on your lox that’s a third of its health gone just like that.

Hopefully they expand the riding system cuz I enjoy what we have so far. Would dig some saddle bags and a way to armor/heal the thing. Otherwise it’s just a biiiit too much of a pain for the benefit you get, and the fact it’s stuck on the landmass where you tame it is a bummer.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I love those. Just seeing your picture gave me a lil dopamine hit.

Now that the iron grind is rebalanced (fewer swings per break, more iron per break) I find myself enjoying Swamp excursions a lot more. My current world has some great swamp placements, including one that’s landlocked with meadow and mountain all around.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The terrain engine is a height map yeah. Closest you can do right now is to dig out a space underneath one of the stones that’s a distinct object. It works OK but you can’t make grand dwarves halls or nothing. Does count as shelter tho.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah I made the same mistake. Had a lotta awkward repairs to do in my tower.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Oh maaaaaaaaaan, I was trying to skip that fight. It's extremely tedious even when you're over-leveled/over-equipped. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I didn't have this problem with bronze or iron, so I couldn't really figure out the difference. Gotta pay the mod tax.

If you're not opposed to console commands you can grant yourself the items you need to make the Artisan Table. That's what I did in my no-portals world, bc I needed to set up multiple bases and didn't wanna kill a Moder for each. The item ID is "DragonTear".

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

There's a mod that lets you do that but the carts kept shooting off into space so I had to uninstall it. I'd love an official implementation that kept them a bit more grounded tho. That and saddlebags for the Lox so you can load it up like you do a boat. Right now you can ride it while over-encumbered which is handy but as soon as you get off you're back to snail pace.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My crazy dream is a way to take a world file and "age" it - weather all the structures and stuff, change up some landmarks - and play as the next generation of vikings. Stumble on your old bases, broken down with holes in the roof and poo poo. Cuz yeah, our server has been going through several cycles of players and it's so drat cool to stumble on someone's little settlement that they've long since abandoned. And such a relief when you need a place to fix your gear and cook some food.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If y’all just want a server to play on I have one up - details are posted in the Valheim thread in Private Game Servers. It reset itself when we left it alone for a few months so it’s totally fresh.

If you’re looking to run your own server the place we rent thru, Survival Servers, is pretty cheap and straightforward. Never had any bad experiences.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah it picks several spots and puts him in whichever you pass first

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah the sightseeing is what keeps me playing.

And the feeling of coming back from a long trip, cresting the hill and seeing your home is so nice.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

sometimes you're on an important mission but you see a hillside that feels homey and you just have to oblige

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm hoping the new mechanic is something to do with verticality, cuz the screenshots we've seen have made the mistlands look really uneven and full of peaks and pits. Climbing rope? Glider made of moth wings? Sirtling-powered jetpack?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Pits or dirt walls are my go-to for taming, bc the animals won't attack them and often can't see over them. Lure the wolves in, jump out, then just throw meat in occasionally til they're tamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I don't have a spare PC to use as a server so we rent from survivalservers.com and it's worked well. We had one outage that they fixed real quick and their control panel is on the better side compared to some places I've dealt with.

I'm pretty excited for Mistlands. Caves got me back into the game for a hot minute but you know what to expect pretty quickly and they don't really push you to explore further, just to do more thorough mountain explorations (which is good).
Mistlands will give us a whole new biome full of views and vistas and ways to die horribly.