Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing mostly solo for an embarrassing number of hours (I'm pushing day 100) and I just smelted my first bar of iron. Was bummed that it didn't unlock the next tier of ship because my Karve doesn't really have enough space to justify hauling the immense amounts of iron you seem to need the distances required on my map. I think I'm going to put the game down for a few months until more content is added (not like I need it at this point, though) and some QoL issues are worked out. I just found mods and really wish I had done so earlier. Pulling items from nearby chests automatically when crafting is a huge improvement as is bumping the amount of bronze gained from smelting slightly. I also like removing the requirement of feeding resin to torches constantly to keep them burning. There are some building improvements, but I'm going to wait to see what the devs do with the system before messing with it. I already like it a lot, just want more pieces and the ability to pitch them to create nonstandard angles.

Before I shelve it though, I'd like to see the longboat. Am I close if I'm (reasonably) comfortable in the swamp biome? I haven't explored the mountain biome yet and survived in the plains for about 30 seconds when I unwisely went ashore there.

Also, have I done something weird or does a decent archery skill basically trivialize a lot of combat? I can two shot basic draugr and even trolls go down with about 5 arrows. Skeletons, which are supposedly resistant to pierce damage, can be killed with a single good shot. The only things I've found semi challenging are the blobs and higher tier draugrs (and those mosquitos and green dudes in the plains biome, but I'm going to avoid them for a while). I haven't felt much need to invest in melee weapons beyond using a sword as a flyswatter for greydwarf mobs to save arrows. Even among bows, the only difference between the tiers seems to be trajectory and maybe accuracy at distance. If you use bows enough, you can do pretty well with just the starting one. That doesn't seem quite right given how others describe combat and the variety of weapons available to craft.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Oh, that's awesome! Alright, I'll put a little more time in (who am I kidding, it'll be another dozen hours).

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Has anyone noticed if you do more damage while hitting from certain angles? It's most noticeable with the woodaxe and the pickaxe, sometimes you'll do half damage (no, it's not because of hitting multiple things) if you're chopping/picking from a bad angle.

Knife backstab damage also seems to intermittently trigger if the enemy is focused on another player and you hit the enemy in exactly their spine or something like that. Otherwise I've only gotten backstabs to work when the target isn't aware of me.

I don't know about chopping and mining, but headshots with arrows seem to automatically crit and stagger enemies. It would make sense (and be super cool) if melee weapons did the same, but I'm speculating.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've spent enough time in the mountains to upgrade to silver/wolf gear and am ready to move on. I've found a few runestones, but none that pointed me toward a boss. I also grab dragon eggs whenever I find them because they seem important even though I don't know what they do yet. Can I get a general hint about what to do to move things along?

Also, is it possible for the trader to not spawn anywhere on a map? I've spent a decent amount of time in two worlds and haven't seen him yet. Would just sailing around for awhile be enough to find him, or do I need to explore every Black Forest I come across and hope I get lucky?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

The runestone that reveals the location of the fourth boss won't be one of the ones you come across in an open area. It will be in or near a ruined tower, usually draugr around as well.

Cool, thank you! I don't think I've come across anything like that yet, but at least the vistas in the mountains would make it easy to spot.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I'd also love to see them add oars so you could have people row (faster than the min speed now) even into headwinds

Like every good idea for this game, there is a mod for that. The more people, the faster you go. I think it's on thunderstore. There's also a really cheesy one that lets you use surtling cores as fuel to zip around like a speedboat.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jarmak posted:

I've been looking unsuccessfully for a no gore mod for this game. I think my son would really enjoy this game and the violence is cartoonish enough that I don't think it's too bad for him if I could turn off the big blood sprites and maybe stop/hide the severed head trophies from dropping.

There are mods that cause enemies to pop immediately on death which might at least push things back toward cartoonish. I didn't see anything that removes trophies, but the official wiki has the default drop tables and they are apparently editable. I don't know how much effort it would be, but you could set their chance to spawn at 0.

On another note, I'm not demanding and I don't think I'm entitled to it, but I would APPRECIATE if a content update was released soonish. I've been wanting to play again, but every time I fire the game up I quit after 15 minutes of chopping wood because there's no impetus to progress through the tech tree and explore because I've already seen it all. If the game went straight to 1.0 tomorrow, I wouldn't complain because I've gotten 200 hours of entertainment out of it already, but I hope there's a lot more to come.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
It's almost a meme at this point, but there are mods that do all of those things except for fixing the hoe. Making straight lines with that things suuuuuuucks. I would be happy with an "undo last action" feature.

I probably should have waited for Hearth and Home, but I started a new world and character and am having a blast again. I really appreciate that you arent really hurried along at any point. I spent the first week finding the perfect place for my house and building it and the game was just fine with that. I don't think I'd like it if it was added to the vanilla game, but I'm using a mod that adds RPG-like properties to items (add elemental damage, increase resistance, etc) and I enjoy the variation and options of sidegrades compared to the linearity of upgrades in the base game.

Unrelated, but does anyone know if it's possible to use thunderstore as a mod manager while also adding mods from external sources? There's an option to import mods in the app, but it doesn't ever seem to work and dropping the dlls in the usual place doesn't either.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

pik_d posted:

I use FarmGrid to make straight lines, and CropReplant replants something in the same spot if you have some seeds/whatever in your inventory. I've never used the 2nd one though.

FarmGrid: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/449/
CropReplant: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/99

Yeah, those are necessities for me. I can't find a link to it but there is a mod on thunderstore that replants trees when you destroy the stump as well. I don't think it's being actively maintained anymore, but it still works. The game has a lot of busy work (like refueling torches, as discussed above) and I appreciate the ability to turn things on and off as I like.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
So the modability of this game is a side effect of using Unity and not a decision on the part of the devs? I think I remember reading one of them has a vision of the survival experience being much more unforgiving. Glad Unity is so mod-friendly because I don't think anyone actually plays the game vanilla.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Do saplings turn into regular trees, or do regular trees just pop up from seedlings? I've seen it happen from seedlings when I use a portal or run faster than objects are loading, but im not positive it's exclusive to them. I usually clear out saplings near my bases to make it easier to spot deer, but I would leave them alone if I knew they grew into full trees.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, considering one unpaid hobbyist created a mod with an entire tiered magic weapon and tools aspect of the game within a month of the game's release, a few new food recipes after 7 months is a big lol

Are you referring to Epic Loot, or is there another similar mod?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I started a new world with an old character to check the new content out. Has anyone else noticed that deer seem to allow you to get much closer without spooking? I've even been able to get two standing next to each other with a bow because the second one took a few moments to react. I would not at all mind this change as hunting deer is my least favorite thing to do with a new character, but I'm wondering if one of the mods I disabled is still interfering with things.

Similarly, I'm being attacked by much larger groups of greydwarfs when logging and mining during the day and they seem to be coming from further away than previously. Before, I'd get a single dwarf or maybe two if another happened to be nearby every few minutes. Now I draw four or five seemingly every 60 seconds. I'll never run out of resin, but it definitely gets tedious. Groups at night also seem bigger and include multiple shamans and brutes. I haven't even taken on the first boss yet.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

More Slots has not been updated and appears to be abandoned. It seems to work but there are reports in the wild of items in the extra slots abruptly vanishing.

Unrestricted Portals, Plant Everything, and Craft From Containers have been updated. Quick Stack and Time Mod have not; they might work without needing updated, I haven't tested.

Looking through Nexus, it looks like many mods haven't been updated in more than 6 months, so I expect some to go defunct and never update for future versions. One I depend on, Build Camera, will not be updated but the author made the repo public so anyone who can compile a dll can do so for the new version. Hopefully others do the same if they're over modding Valheim.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Alternatively, single-use boats. As soon as you beach it and exit, it bursts into flame to prevent cowardly retreat.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I expect that the next update will introduce either material costs for repairs or straight up unrepairable wear that causes you to build and carry multiple copies of the same item. Maybe building pieces can degrade over time (more than they already do from weather) and also require materials to maintain. Or iron bars can require two pieces of scrap to smelt!

I complain, but I've also put like 30 hours into a new world this week.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

What setup does everybody like for mod managing?

e: the raft feels like a practical joke the devs play on you

The smoothest I found was Thunderstore. You can browse and download mods in the app and editing the configs is made easy. The only problem I had was that it is missing some of the more popular mods, like Valheim Plus. I've started using Vortex, Nexus's manager, for that reason. You have to download the mods from the site, but the manager takes over the download and then installs the mod automatically. There are also separate steps for installing, enabling, and deploying mods and sometimes it will say it did them when it did not. Both managers automatically check for updates, but only Thunderstore can be configured to apply them automatically.

I'd prefer to use Thunderstore, but the comparatively small number of mods available on it make dealing with Vortex worthwhile. In any case, I usually run 60+ mods and haven't had a problem with either, so I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Jabarto posted:

It takes a pretty spectacular effort to make sailing unfun in a game about vikings, but the raft pulls it off. That thing feels like trying to push a bathtub through a drainage ditch.

Someone near the beginning of the thread said that it likely exists to make the karve look better in comparison. If so, that's literally all it does well.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Also, like the boss shrines, he can be found in multiple locations, but once on the map, can only be found there. I guess that's better, but I've never found him without explicitly looking for him.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I’m super glad someone at some point mentioned that you can lay down core wood beams for walls instead of just using regular wood walls. Never mind that it can look better from the inside and outside but it’s also great how much higher you can suddenly build by doing that. Going big with your structures before you get stone and iron, which just gathering is still certainly a process, is always a bit frustrating but core wood walls makes it possible.

Are you laying them down horizontally like a log cabin or standing them up next to each other like... I don't know. If the latter, do they snap, you do you have to build a frame to line everything up?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is anybody running OdinArchitect and ValheimPlus together? Something in my modlist is causing only the first chunk of vegetation you start on in a world to be rendered with the rest of the world being completely bare. I'd like to play with some new building pieces but ValheimPlus replaces like a dozen smaller QoL mods so I don't want to drop it. I'm thinking it may actually be the Jotunn Library on which Odin is dependent because I know V+ broadly overwrites any group of settings it touches.

Alternatively, anyone try to make their own mods? It seems like most are changing a single value or editing a JSON so it would be nice to just replace the stuff in V+ I want and hopefully improve compatibility with other mods.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Does the trader actually have stuff that is convenient other than the meningjord?

He also sells a shiny hat.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Hahaha, I was sailing along sloooooowly against the wind and decided to stop at a fuling village located on a beach I was passing. I was standing outside trying to figure out how many were inside when a "you are being hunted" event started. I didn't know you could get those outside a mountain biome and I was nowhere near one. The wolves spawned directly inside the village and completely wrecked the fulings and the things in a nearby tar pit. I even kited a 3 star troll from an adjacent forest into the fight and it lasted about 2 seconds. Luckily, only a few wolves were left after the event ended and I was able to collect a ton of black metal and wolf skins. Even got a totem!

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Oh cool, I didn't know that. I don't think I would have enjoyed it if the village wasn't there, though. In the mountains I can usually find advantageous terrain to fight on/from, but there usually isn't much within sprinting distance in the Plains. I could see getting surrounded and destroyed even in higher tier armor.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Has anyone had a metal tier just not unlock? I've got black metal bars and nothing to craft with them. Both the forge and the build menu are missing things I know should be there. It's probably my fault for using the EpicLoot mod along with a recycling mod so I think I might have recycled a black metal item before actually smelting the ore. Is there a way to unlock the tier through the console or a save/world editor or something? I tried loading a vanilla game and picked up a bar that popped out of the smelter but nothing happened. I even tried spawning in black metal items but they don't show up at the forge like other items you pick up do if you haven't unlocked them yet.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

In the vanilla game yeah, but...

This is the problem. Gotta go beat Moder.

Oh maaaaaaaaaan, I was trying to skip that fight. It's extremely tedious even when you're over-leveled/over-equipped. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I didn't have this problem with bronze or iron, so I couldn't really figure out the difference. Gotta pay the mod tax.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Sixto Lezcano posted:

If you're not opposed to console commands you can grant yourself the items you need to make the Artisan Table. That's what I did in my no-portals world, bc I needed to set up multiple bases and didn't wanna kill a Moder for each. The item ID is "DragonTear".

Yeah, I tried that. My only hope is that the drop is somehow different from the console spawned item (but why would it be) or maybe there's a flag or something. I dunno. If not, no big deal. I'm about ready to put this away until the next update anyway.

edit: picking up linen unlocked the equipment. I didn't realize it was required in so many recipes. I think I'm missing some building pieces, but whatever.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 1, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've seen them in their resting state with a green cloud above them, similar to blobs. And yeah, you can get in and do some damage before they're able to hit back. Once you have a bronze buckler, you can parry their attacks without taking too much damage or being knocked back too far. Until then, I just avoid them like I do the stone circles with drauger and skeleton spawners.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I'm extremely impressed with your builds and am just starting to get away from boxy structures myself. But uhh... you guys are using the nocost mode and the build camera mod, right? Like, you're not cutting down hundreds of trees and hauling them home or building scaffolding for all that are you?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Reik posted:

This is the compound we built on the last server I was playing on, as far as I know nobody on the server was cheating or bringing in materials from other seeds but there were like 5 of us working on this.

https://imgur.com/a/3ryBF5Y

You can make pretty good japanese architecture with the valheim build pieces, too. These guys definitely used nocost to build these but they're good for ideas/inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPcwFIvJdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdePSYnmCA

Love these. I'm just stalling out on my third playthrough with a new character and seed and have exhausted all the mods that look interesting. This'll give me a few more (dozens) of hours out of it. Do you use any specific building mods that include either utilities or extra build pieces? The extra pieces I've seen have either been low quality, don't match the vanilla asthetic, or both.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Chop a tree, kill a greyling. Chop a tree, kill a greyling. Chop a tree...

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is there a point at which that armor is useful? You should be wearing bronze and working on iron gear at that point. It seems like you're way past the protection it offers and even needing the passive skill boost.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Nobody should ever make Bronze Armor. The armor has a hefty speed penalty that is not justified by its protection values, and bronze is sufficiently irritating to gather that you should use all of it for tools. Instead rely on troll hide for armor, and then go straight to Iron.

Don't you need to take a trip to the mountains to get trollhide to parity with bronze? It's been a while, but I thought the top level of the armor required obsidian or something for either the gear or the crafting table upgrade. If not, great, I hate bronze armor for the reason you mentioned. Mining in general, or at least the gameplay loops during the time you are gathering bronze and iron, just kind of sucks. I don't remember silver being that bad, but it's way more fun when the materials you need for that tier are dropped by enemies.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Building infrastructure and transporting it is fun. I appreciate that the game gives you reasons to build stuff beyond it looking cool. But when I'm like 5 iron ingots short of a critical upgrade, it's a tremendous pain in the rear end to have to go do the loop all over again. Sometimes I want to explore, fight, or move toward the next goal rather than spending an entire session sailing to my swamp base, diving into a crypt, getting the iron into the boat, then sailing home and smelting it. Compared to skins or black metal, it can be a tedious chore if you're not in the mood for it.

But as mentioned above, that's why there are mods for literally everything in the game and why I have played vanilla maybe four hours total. Different strokes for different folks.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Is there a mod that makes built light sources last forever, as opposed to needing to be refueled using resin constantly?

As above, Valheim Plus has an option to disable fuel consumption in torches and fireplaces (I think you have to do both or neither and it doesn't affect ovens). The mod can be a bit overkill, though it's very customizable. If you just want to do the burning torches thing, Torches Eternal does that. I got it through Thunderstore but it's probably also on Nexus.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Is there a way (or a mod) that lets you mark certain items as "don't pick up"? I spend a lot of time clearing my inventory just to make room for whatever it is I'm farming at the time, and it's one of the more tedious aspects of the game.

For example, if I'm farming copper, I want an option to say "don't pick up stone"

There is or was. It replaced one of the character screens with all of the items that could be picked up and you could toggle them individually. Great for most trophies, you only need a few unless you're decorating with them. I can't remember the name, unfortunately, but it was something intuitive (Selective Pickup, maybe?). I think I got it on Thunderstore but most mods are also on Nexus and don't require two separate apps to use.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Burns posted:

So im about to gift the game to 2 buddies. I want to get a server game going. Are there any free or cheap servers available that yall would recommend?

Gonna throw out a recommendation that worked well for me: use a free trial for Google Cloud Platform. You get either 60 or 90 days free and the VM options it includes were more than enough for two players and so should handle three without trouble.

You have to set the server up from scratch, but there are guides that will take you through it step by step. I sometimes do stuff like this at work so I may be underestimating the difficulty, but following the instructions and Googling errors should get you through everything in about an hour, less if your reading comprehension is better than mine. The trial period is plenty of time to explore the current content. Just be sure to grab your world file at the end of the trial so you can move it to another service.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 30, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

I hope it stays a "labor of love" however which is the vibe i get so far, if they keep releasing such deep content and don't get distracted by making their next game to keep profits up, Valheim could be something really special.

I agree, and while my lizard brain wants more NOW, I'd rather see what product they'd like to make, rather than what they're forced to release due to over promising or needing to end production and call it finished because of overhead or something.

That said, I'm a little concerned that one of the devs is pretty committed to making it a hardcore survival game (or at least was) which is generally not what players seem to want. Most additional modded content is building related or adds more stuff in general, but I don't think anyone would prefer if hunger deteriorated more rapidly or you had to balance your diet or whatever else hardcore survival suggests. Who knows, though, the game has been great so far so maybe whatever they do will be fine.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Taffer posted:

I assume mods won't work until they are updated? Does that usually happen after the real release?

Yeah, at least some of them. I'd bet something small that just modifies drops would be fine, but Valheim Plus definitely didn't work. I'm so dependent on it that I'm just going to wait for a full release and mod update.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I have played 400+ hours of Valheim and had never experienced a crash until last night, when I had two. I'm running a dedicated server with a friend that I set up with, what I now know to be, fairly non-standard tools and configurations. Both times, it happened in a particular place in a swamp and wiped about an hour of work from the character (but not the world). Anyone else encounter this? Seems like a bad chunk or maybe object that loads when I get within a certain distance of it. I'll just avoid that area for now, but now I'm nervous about it happening anywhere new. My friend and I played at different times so he may have done something, but I can't think of what. Is anything documented or has it happened to anyone else?

edit: the server seemed to be unaffected by the crashes. It stayed up the whole time and was reachable immediately after I relaunched the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Nordick posted:

I had a very similar thing happen shortly after the game's launch when I started a co-op game with my cousin. It wasn't a dedicated server, I was just hosting, but it kinda seemed like something about the world file got corrupted somehow, and the game would crash every time either of us approached a specific area. It was very early on, so we just started a new world and it has never happened since.

That's probably what's going to have to happen here. If I leave my swamp base and travel in any direction, it will CTD within two or three minutes. The swamp itself is the largest I have ever found and is about the same size as a medium-sized continent. Even sailing around it and trying to land in a different spot far away from where I first had the issue resulted in a crash. Kinda weird, for me it's 100% reproducible, but my buddy gets it about half the time when he's on by himself and 100% of the time when I'm also logged in. It's funny that stacking 70 or so mods on the game had no effect on stability or performance, but I'm running vanilla right now.

The vast majority of the fun I have in this game is building functional bases, so wiping wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.