Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

The spear I just don't get. It was useful a useful ranged option for 5 minutes until I crafted a bow, but outside of that it's very meh. You attack with it like it's a knife instead of jabbing with it, so its one potential advantage, keeping your distance, is wasted. And yeah, you can throw it. Congrats, now you've pissed off a monster and you aren't holding a weapon. I haven't made one since bronze tier.

That's really a shame because spears are pretty loving Viking. Odin used one, dammit.

I just want a game where spears are good. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I just got the game should I try to start a game with a "good" seed or just roll with what I have for now and see how it goes?

Also how does the game handle asynchronous progression? I work mostly night shift and play during most people's workdays usually. If I set up a dedicated server (because I think it'd be cool to work on stuff with friends even if not totally contemporaneously with them) and one of them kills a boss or whatever is it dead for the server and I wouldn't be able to kill it later?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Awesome thanks. I feel like since everyone is generally polite and poo poo we can all agree to work together with timing boss fights and not worry about it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What are the roof wood crosses used for?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there an easy way to get mushrooms? I tamed some boars but now they're hungry and I don't have more to feed them. Also, I think I went overboard on making a house and its two stories, got a nice roof, and way too much time spent on making it look decent when I should probably just go kill the first boss.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I have to say, I love the little ruins you can find. I initially found a tiny ruined stone tower and used it to start a base to explore the black forest and then once there, found another, much larger one you can actually climb well that I'm thinking about moving to. The first one was fun because i was getting there at nightfall and so had a tense night guarding a fire and throwing up some barebones structures between greydwarf attacks. I really need to find more Surtling cores and get started in bronze.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Where the gently caress can I find more burial crypts for Surtling cores? There seem to be none at all in several of these black forest biomes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

boofhead posted:

yes sorry, i couldnt remember what theyre called. i have a tower shield, ill swap to a regular one

ok, ill grab my poo poo and bail until later. i also keep forgetting that i can technically make bronze axes to chop down birch trees, i havent found tin yet so i forget that i technically have enough to use all that copper i mined

Tin's everywhere along coasts, anecdotally especially in black forests. And if you can make a bronze axe you should, fine wood unlocks some nice stuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taffer posted:

Everything that is time based progresses while it's unloaded, the reason taming doesn't progress is that you actually have to be physically near the animals to "acclimatize" them. I just made a pen for some boars right next to the building I was constructing, they were tame before I finished.

I think they can eventually go wild again too, either with hunger or not being present. I initially made a house right next to the standing stones and had been using that as a base, including a hogfarm, then ran off into the woods and built myself a walled in logging/mining base. After exploring the woods for awhile I came back and the hogs were wild again.

Is there any reason not to use the stones as my nexus for a portal network? And is there any reason not to make a portal network anyway?

E: so far I've made those two bases and I think I'll try to turn the stones into a hub/tavern/port thing now that I have some ability to terraform with pickaxes and hoes, but not really doing too much manufacturing there. If I'm not near a base, will it get attacked? And will I eventually be able to get defenses that stop trolls? And do I actually need to build walls everywhere anyway?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 6, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Those are some nice neat shelves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I hope in a future update they make it so comfort items radius is vastly increased, it's weird having to hunt for the most comfy spot in large buildings.

Yeah, and it feels weird to throw a banner up inside a building because the sleeping rooms aren't close enough to the walls to get within the radius.

Also benches overriding chairs sucks. :( on the plus side I can build sconces now and so can actually loving see things inside without a torch or weird standing ones. Also can stock heads on stakes. Bronze brings some really nice advances to comfort.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you planted trees too close together, is there a way to get the seeds back and try again?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does the FPS drop from terraforming apply worldwide or just in an area around the terraforming? Ie, can I just move far enough away and solve the problem?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Really wish we could plant Oaks imo.

I don't care if the seeds would be rare enough that it wouldn't be feasibly to use them for farming. I want some oak trees next to my houses.

Birch too, tbh, just for the appearance.

Also, I'm building my first Karve. If I'm trying to place it in the water and its showing that it is going to spawn in the air, I assume that means I have nowhere near the draft depth for the boat and I need to get to digging/building a longer dock, right? And/or, do I need a dock in the first place?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

piano chimp posted:

I generally roll with a spear, mace and a bow. The spear is very quick which is great for parrying and dodging single, tough enemies. You can also lob it at enemies for extra style points. The mace (especially Frostner) is great for crowd control and the bow is just great all round. I haven't found a use for the sword, axe or two-handed weapons which isn't done better or at least covered by these three weapon types.
So far this is what I've been doing, plus an axe for trees. A sword just seems superfluous while an atgeir at least gets you a two-handed weapon if you want one. If there was a way to increase item slots I could see using more for variety but as is I'm filling my inventory even without extra weapons I'm not using, plus the skill system at least gently encourages more specialization.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also making two of the "magical" weapons Clubs, plus having swords and atgeir only show up at bronze, plus mostly introducing skeletons around that point so you want to get a mace around then anyway, goes a long, long way to making clubs an incredibly good weapon type.

Does anything resist blunt at all?

E: maybe greydwarves should be resistant so your bronze tier gives you a reason to use a pierce/slash weapon the way skeletons encourage a blunt one?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 11, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Getting a lot more map visibility while sailing would be really handy for at least rudimentary map making and maybe base locating/scouting.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Meanwhile here I am wondering if people really build new forges every time they go out mining. To me it's so much more convenient to have one centralized zone for it, assuming you're transporting stuff in a boat/cart.
I think a lot of it depends on your terrain. I'm on a large island right now where my standing stones are near what appears to be a lake while my black forest base is pretty far away on the coast, but not in a way that's actually accessible to a lot of other biomes or to the first base at the stones. Hauling everything to a central location, especially if I need to repair my metal gear, sounds like a giant pain in the rear end compared to just bringing the stuff to build a base with you in your boat/cart for when you get there.

And if you're tearing it down after you move, it's not like it will cost you anything extra, and even if you don't tear it down, the materials for a forge are pretty minor.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bus hustler posted:

Using the shelf-stacking technique i've gotten pretty good at dropping small useful bases that don't really require a lot of changes to the land

Yeah building shelves has been pretty great for that. I think I've got a pretty decent looking but also practical setup of a fenced mining encampment consisting of a forge/workshop shed with smelter/kiln in the back, a sleeping/cooking hall, and portal building all spaced roughly evenly around a circle, entrances facing in, with the gate being the 4th in the circle.

I'm still building variations on that based in environment (I've got my eye on a swamp tree fort) but it's a decent overall look of "inhabited living area carved into wilderness" that is nice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well...poo poo. I was sailing around my island and a giant mosquito showed up and one-shot me while I was sailing. Its going to be a long, long sail back to my karve. I didn't think the fucker could catch up to me the way that he did or I'd have just tried to shoot him.

e: I am learning now I definitely should have run as close as I could and THEN built a raft to sail out to my stuff instead of trying to sail the whole way. gently caress this raft.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 13, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Does structural support affect how much damage the building takes over time? Will my house fall apart if i don't do maintenance repairs from time to time? I noticed the floors took damage when rained upon.

No. Buildings take damage in the rain if they don't have roofs (except for some "outdoors" buildings like log walls and fences and stuff) and can degrade to a max of 50% health from that. They will never collapse from environmental damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

I got mosquito one-shotted half an hour's sail from base and ultimately just used console cheats to recover the body because otherwise I'd probably have quit the game. Sure I should have been making little outposts and portals and had backup equipment and all that but eh, I have no regrets. I hope they make the drat mosquitos stay the hell in the plains someday because that was not fun at all.

Yeah I'm considering it. Or they need to make sailing faster. It's weird that sailing is so slow given how much faster even paddling a canoe is compared to walking in real life. Paddling a raft being half of your walking speed is just...yeah. Boats were primary transport for a reason!

Lesson learned about sailing too close to plains I guess but drat.

E2: I hate the wind. I know it doesn't really but I'm convinced it turns against you on purpose.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 13, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
My mistake was definitely using the raft. gently caress the raft, I can't ever see a reason to use it unless you spawned in on a meadow-only island.

Also if their roadmap is accurate I'm sure they'll address it in their sea update.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Mine are mostly east/west so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there an accepted build order for bronze age stuff? I was going to do an axe first, but it takes forever and a day to mine with the bone pick, so I'm wondering if I should upgrade the pickaxe first.

Axe first. The antler pickaxe will last long enough for you to get as much ore as you can carry (which isn't much) before it breaks. The axe gets you access to fine wood which gets you the finewood bow (assuming you didn't get enough wood from chopping other trees into birch trees), which is both a significant upgrade over the crude bow and really important for killing trolls. It also gets you the karve boat (which is way better than the raft), a ton of decoration for comfort, and portals.

I haven't upgraded to a bronze pickaxe yet because I'm finding it easier to build a workshop and shed near a copper deposit and repair the antler pickaxe on-site, then haul the ore out either on foot or by cart depending on terrain, and having to drop a forge as well as a workshop would be annoying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any decent way to do a lighthouse pre-stoneworking? I can't do one out of wood because I can't drop a fire on wood so now I think I'm down to just placing a bunch of sconces on a tower or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just build a portal, drop your ore in a chest next to it, and pop back to base to repair.

:doh: well, I'll be doing that from now on. I've got a decent supply of fine wood and Surtling cores now, but early on I was struggling to get either in decent quantities. Either way, you should still get a bronze axe before a bronze pickaxe, which was the original question.

E: and thanks for the tip on waiting for a bonfire.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't know if the placement is different for other plants, but for carrots, they'll grow happily if you use the tall posts from the fences as guidelines for a visual guideline for spacing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do stoneworks or angled wood beams degrade in the rain? I just made a circular temple thing for my portal room I'm proud of (even though it's nothing compared to some of the insane things posted here) and I'm already looking at being able to upgrade/raise it to make it look fancier as I get further in.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sanctum posted:

All I need is pigs. I wandered to the edge of the black forest and a snowy mountain but only found 3 more pigs. This is going to take a while.

I have a full stack of deer leather, the deer keep coming back but where did all the pigs go?

You could herd and tame them if you've got the time to let them keep breeding.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

Ive killed the first boss, but i killed it at a site that wasnt marked as opposed to the one the game marked for me. Im about ready to kill the 2nd boss, but it wont show me a location. It still shows the other location for the first boss. I even killed it again at the marked spot to try and clear it. Anything else i can do?

Where are trying to find a location for the second boss? The sigil at the standing stones only ever shows you the first boss. Do you mean that when you find a marker for The Elder in the dark forest that it still shows you a marker for Eikthyr?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

There's enough upgrades to fill out a decent sized fort but you're not going to be building fully furnished towns.

The full set of upgrades for the two main workstations take up a surprising amount of room.

Yeah I'd thought a 9x9m house would be enough for a forge/workshop combo and honestly I think I'll be running out of room soon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

place a chair up in the rafters, out of sight

Pretty sure the way those stack the stool supersedes the chair for some reason. Benches superseded my chairs for example.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What's this hammer delay the patch notes mention?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

There was a tiny guardpost outside where we placed down our base that was a pre-existing structure that I fixed. Unfortunately in trying to make our base more resistant to invasions, the troll went and targeted the tiny pre-existing tower since it could path easily to it since it was outside the moat :smith:

Also what do you folks do with the runestones near your base? Any decoration ideas?

You can't actually build near the runestones, since there's a magical field there that prevents it. That said, I'm planning on just keeping them in the rough center of the town-ish thing I'm hoping to lay out there. Boathouse/pier with berths for a few longships and karves, a teleportation circle built up as a temple-looking thing, a greathouse, and set of workshop buildings. Little farm. Just make it clear that it's very much the center of the place, since you can't decorate with it at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That's an awfully strong reaction to a few small changes made by a dev group that just came out with a game that is pretty loving excellent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Clitch posted:

Random tangent, but does anyone else's inspiration dry up in these games when you go into creative mode?

Yes. I am very glad I never cheated in stonework supplies pre-Elder killing because it gives me a ton to look forward to, and building around that lack was fun too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Untrustable posted:

Spent the time building a massive treehouse in the swamp that spans between two trees. It's like a big ol' great hall and then above that there is a workshop. Absolutely covered it in normal and green torches. Looks good. One thing I did realize is that there is no point putting a windmill in the swamp. No wind.

Did you use stone floors for fires/kilns/smelters or will wood hold them?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

I'll go work on that nicer bow. I'm not even sure how I'll get troll leather armor, considering that my first attempt at fighting a troll was extremely poor. It almost feels more realistic to skip the troll and try to mine enough ore that I can make metal armor, but maybe that will change with other gear upgrades.

A new bow, a stack of fire arrows, and practice kiting them. Failing that, you can parry them with a bronze buckler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cams posted:

counterpoint: they should tone down nothing and should in fact make it even more brutal. mods exist for those who live in fear.

tbh i don't notice my skill levels at all and have zero cares when they go down.

Making the jump skill reduce your fall damage by a bit does make a ton of sense though.