Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ravenfood posted:

A new bow, a stack of fire arrows, and practice kiting them. Failing that, you can parry them with a bronze buckler.

The most challenge of kiting trolls is the slew of lesser mobs that are more than happy to harass you while you are dodging a swung tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jarmak posted:

Has anyone has their longship randomly spawn upside down? Downside of making a nice deep pier is good luck getting those nails back.

I hope folks are reporting bugs like this, after all it is in testing:
https://valheimbugs.featureupvote.com/

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Bioshuffle posted:

I've just about had it. If it happens again, I am just going to use cheats to cancel them out. Do any of you enjoy them? Tell me why you think it should stay in the game.

Odin should rub you into the dirt, imho. Invasions/raids are one of the best and immersive parts of the game. Makes it feel more like a living, breathing, and and brutal world. As it should be.

Take a moment and view things from the perspective of the dwarves that you routinely go forth to wholesale slaughter. Do you imagine they have forums where they can gripe about how unfair it all is, and that they will get fed up and use dwarven cheat codes next time you go ransacking them?

:colbert:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

another flash in the pan game, oh well

I dunno, ROI of this game is pretty damned solid. I agree that some fleshing out would be nice, and more minecraft type development, but come on, did you not get your monies worth?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Firebert posted:

New dev update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3061877729280651184

Mistlands is getting a big facelift for its implementation and mountains are getting some love. Proper caves, finally?

I hope they are not instanced/portals like dungeons and troll caves. Otherwise the concept looks great.

Installed epic loot mod, and my input lag and framerate took a severe nosedive.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 23, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Reik posted:

They will be instanced, the devs have said they do not want to create caves you can build in. What's wrong with the instanced dungeons and troll caves, though?

Dunno, I kind of prefer a more smooth transition, and seeing if there is a troll there near the entrance before heading in. Also the portal mechanic lends to cheezing the fights. Hop in, shoot/swing hop out, heal up, rinse repeat.

I would ask why building in caves would be bad. Just make them more susceptible to monster attacks.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Giving up hope with epic loot. Installed the BepInEx, installed Extended Items, installed epic loot:
Horrible frame rate and input lag.

Reinstalled the entire game fresh, ran great. Installed the addons, runs like poop.

May be time for a graphics card update, or just not use mods.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Really hope they tweak the length of daylight at some point. The more I play, the shorter it seems to get.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Finally got around to sailing to the elder location. Mined an ocean blob on the way. I was pleased to find that the elder pad was on the tip of elevated land next to the ocean, and a well preserved stone tower like 40 feet from the slab.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

WebDO posted:

Trip report:

Purple fire Greydwarf Spawner was solved with a crude bow and an axe.

I've built up a two story longhouse with a palisade wall on top of a hill overlooking the coast at an intersection of meadows, mountains, and black forest. I took advantage of the bow and am in trollskin.

I finally hunted his kin, at two different locations, and now might have an ability I have no idea how to activate? Is there any way to mount trophies for decoration since I have an extra kickin' rad deer head?

Some forays into the woods and some lucky skellington crypts later and I had enough materials to make a smelter but I still need the kiln. Working on building a cart path through the woods to the several copper nodes I've found, looks like a bronze axe is going to get me moving towards the next tech tree wood.

I'm guessing building with stone comes later, kind of a bummer I can't dismantle and reuse the abandoned towers I have found but one of them on a copper deposit is now an emergency outpost.

More questions:
How does building actually mechanically work? I've tried using posts and beams and things but it seems like a two story wood building with two story wood walls each can only take 26° thatch without hitting a height limit and collapsing. I think I have a support beam structure that is helping but I'm not really sure. It feels more like luck if the roof stays up.

How does pathing versus leveling the ground even work? I'll make a huge swath of road for my cart, then suddenly the level ground tool decides to make a cliff. A gentle down gradient is surprisingly hard to make.

I have yet to figure out how to activate boss abilities. I THINK it is supposed to be the f button, but has never worked for me.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Yep, that is a little tiny swamp at the southern tip, and a river ravine (fjord?) up the SW edge.

The ocean is on the far side of the elder altar when viewed from the top of the intact tower.

Would the elder be able to reach me on top of the tower, or would it be able to damage the tower? Was considering putting the portal up there if not underneath the slab.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Nordick posted:

The Elder has a ranged attack that really does a number on anything destructible I've seen it hit, I'm pretty sure it would also chew through that tower really quickly.

Hmmm. Well, I really don't care all that much about boss fights, so I guess I will just cheese it and fight from underneath the slab. Just want to get past him for the upgrades.

In unrelated, I am excited to get portals up and running, not because I hate travel but more because days are too friggin short and I seem to average half of a night dealing with storms each trip.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 30, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Nordick posted:

Honestly, just keep some distance and plink him with fire arrows till he dies. Any "cheesing" methods will likely take more time and effort to prep for than you'd actually save compared to just fighting him.

Well, I fully intend to utilize the slab as part of a build, so it's work that would get done regardless.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Welp, I didn't exactly end up cheesing him, unless you count standing out of range while he stood still, and continually pummeled him with arrows The shaman never showed up to heal him, so eh. He dead.

I got a little too close to my tower and he poked a hole in it, which is fine as I needed a ground level window.

By the by, I got epic loot to work. I think trying to boot from the mod manager was causing it to run in non-vulkan mode. Once I manually installed and boot directly from steam (in vulkan) it runs nicely. Now to build a shrine so I can trash the junk magic loot like hammers.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Landed on an island with a little meadow along shore, next to black forest, next to swamp (with one of those spiral staircase down things on it's edge), just below a mountain and then plains. I've died a few times. I am playing like a squirrel, and find it hard to focus.

fake edit: and the merchant camp on the far end.

For the record I am still "bronze age", and have merely dipped my foot into the swamp.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Haven't yet seen the new mob, but I do have a semi pet star troll that is hanging out on the edge of the swamp, smashing SOMETHING with the tree trunk. Whatever he's been battling, it has been almost a day.

The upside is the noise he makes attracts all the swamp critters, and he 1 shots them.

Edit: pet troll finally died. :abloo:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 28, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

caleb posted:

Maybe I'm just stomping around too much but I get like 3 every time I go on a blood bag run. It's manageable but kind of excessive. I hope they dial the spawn rate back a little bit.

I don't know how they can manage spawns, but drat if I feel that every axe swing or ground flattening IMMEDIATELY spawns stuff. Not hard stuff, but a constant nuisance. The frequency of world save freezes while in mid combat is getting old as well.

Currently working on tree to tree building, so I can get stuff done.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 28, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jusupov posted:

I started a no boss run just to see if it could be done, and to not have any raids. Ended up dying in a swamp dungeon and quitting :(

Can't you simply kill the bosses on one seed, and build on another to avoid raids?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Question about Aboms:
Does it have to be a newly "unfogofwarred" swamp in order to have them?

I have sparingly been coming online the past week, and there is a 50% or so chance that my neighborhood troll has spawned on the edge of the swamp next to me, and he whacks at leeches. skellies and draugs willy nilly, but I have not seen a abom appear to take them on yet. Perhaps not attracted to noise made by faction enemies? Maybe they only populate newly discovered swamps?

Semi inebriated edit: Fcuk I hate coming online and forgetting to eat, just to be reminded to eat by the draug archers that one-shot me.

fuq

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 8, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

WELP

Found my first abom. Went up into one of my swamp tree houses, began pelting it with arrows. It began to run away, and then promptly tripped into the sunken stairwell I mentioned earlier in the thread. Now every black forest thing that attacks it causes it to demolish yet more of the stairway.

It is quite stuck, and I do not want to kill it, because the loot would sink.

Fuq

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Killed the abom, the wood stuff floated but uncertain if it dropped anything that sunk. He had destroyed the stairs so I was treading water trying to get out for quite some time. Found a slight bump where I could stand and pickaxe a way out. The critter was actually useful while alive, as the black forest critters were continuously drawn to it instead of my base.

Yesterday evening was painful. My good gear on and a full inventory. Ran smack dab into a drug spawner. Figured I would just bash it and run. It spawned wayyyyy too many, and oh hey look at that a skeleton spawner literally right next to it. So many Graves.

Spent this AM gathering mats for an emergency set of portals. My plan is to sneak/run in and hop on a permalog, drop a bench and stairs up to a safe distance and snipe the nests, with the portal up with me.

Did I mention I had a full pack upon first death? Having anything in your inventory causes the grave to open your inventories and the grave inventory, in effect blinding you to everything you want to avoid. Good times

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

If you find a draugr spawned in the swamp then you’ve also found a skeleton spawner, or maybe two draugr and a skeleton or a draugr and two skeleton. They always come together.

Slowly worked my way back, and like you said it was actually TWO draug spawners with the skelly one. 1 star elites and a handful of 2 stars. Thank goodness for fire arrows.

Built a nice permatree cabin within reach of a crypt, and wife aggro willing I'll start that tonight.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Dwesa posted:

Draugrs are resistant to fire damage, btw

Really? The non elite non stars are brought down with a single fire arrow about half the time. Maybe my bow skill is high?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Still fun, but the sunken crypt in comparison to the swamp above, seemed a bit... underwhelming. I feel the biggest challenge was transport of the scrap iron back to base, and trips back to repair my pick. It is actually a relief to be able to slowly go room to room at my own pace.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Second abom found. Lured it out to where another troll spawned, it killed the troll aaaaand retreated to the same well/stairway the last abom dove into. I have to think that it just looks for deep water to be idle in.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shield chat.

Have been using a round bronze shield, and was getting used to the parry mechanic. With the epic loot mod (which is awesome) I have a collection of different resist ones and health/stamina ones. Fast forward to my first epic dropping: a wooden tower shield.

I was pretty excited up until the point I equipped it, movement slowed to a crawl, and no more shield parry. What is the upside of these again?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Oh hey, these 2 star draug elites hit like a truck, even when parried successfully.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

GruntyThrst posted:

2 star anything will hit harder than a normal enemy of the next tier biome, they are super jacked.

Oh absolutely understood. It was a close fight, had I got off one more swing I would have had it. I wanted to test out my new iron armor and mace.

Is there a way to bring up a display of current skill levels?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

WebDO posted:

Excuse me one of my best bases before I took a break was using an extra wide skellington tower that I built up to three stories and stockaded in thank you very much :colbert:

Yup, I`ve a number of spoopy towers patched up as waystations, because gently caress these 10 minute days.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BrianRx posted:

I'm extremely impressed with your builds and am just starting to get away from boxy structures myself. But uhh... you guys are using the nocost mode and the build camera mod, right? Like, you're not cutting down hundreds of trees and hauling them home or building scaffolding for all that are you?

I have to laugh when I see builds on the reddit that claim "vanilla, no mods!". The reality is likely that they have a seed for boss killing, a seed for a quarry, a seed for mining, and a seed for clearcutting, then the seed they actually build on. That way the invasions won't affect the mega builds

Have to be honest, it is tempting to seed hop.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know why needing to add a functional chimney for smoke and rain protection adds so much to the enjoyment of building in the game, but it really does.

I love it. Even more so that just having a roof piece directly above it is not 100% protection, when storm rain comes down on an angle. Had to modify my cooking hut due to this. The level of thought put into stuff like that is amazing in this age of shallow cash grab games.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

It doesn't, but campfires need a certain level of protection from the wind or storms will blow them out.

I dunno if it is the wind or the rain technically, but during big storms I can see the rain coming down on an angle and the fire that is otherwise covered is out. :shrug:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

OK, while idling in my boat at night I noticed that there are clouds that move across the map. CURRENTLY they coincide with the direction the wind is blowing at my location.

edit: changed direction on map, and changed direction in game.

cool stuff

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 19, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I agree that carts could use some serious work, perhaps make them upgradeable with better suspension. Fully upgraded just short of hovercraft.

Also, the belt should allow a bit more uphill speed

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Poison resistance mead is still the only method.

This has not been true for over a month.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Mead is still the only poison resist method available to you when you first start the biome. Because as I said later, if you're at a point where you can reliably farm the mats for the root helm, that means you're fairly decked out and poison won't be an immediate death sentence at that point anyway. You need to find and kill at least two abominations, more if you want to upgrade it. Good luck doing that in bronze armor (unless you're with a group I guess).

You can literally kill them nekkid. Just jump on one of the downed perma trees, and they cannot hit you.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I don't think the game should let you play alone, just zero option for solo play.

The grey dorfs are my play friends

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Burns posted:

My Moder spawn is on a island surrounded by Mistlands.

Cool seed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Seriously, what the gently caress. They had great momentum at launch, and instead of going balls-to-the-wall and greatly expanding their team to accelerate pace of development, it seems they're going at the same pace and taking their time with everything? What a waste of opportunity.

A game like this that gets a massive surge of popularity should aim for one content update a month, imo.

Nah, I am fine with the pace and them taking their time to get things right. There are plenty of other flash in the pan games to play while waiting. :unsmith:

Well, I hope they enjoyed their brief moment under the spotlight then...

Jesus Christ dude :jerkbag:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm hoping the new mechanic is something to do with verticality, cuz the screenshots we've seen have made the mistlands look really uneven and full of peaks and pits. Climbing rope? Glider made of moth wings? Sirtling-powered jetpack?

Imagine for a moment that they bought the code from Worlds Adrift, and one could craft spidermanesque grappling hooks. God knows that Bossa isn't using it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 13, 2022