Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The mods that add equipment and inventory slots greatly improved my enjoyment of the game, by the time you have the belt and wishbone and meads and all your mandatory tools like the hammer and hoe and even if you avoid having more then 1 melee weapon at a time you end up with a extremely limited inventory space that has a single dandelion preventing you from carrying 50 wooden logs, with added slots you are still limited by weight limit but you can at least pick up the random clutter and gatherables.

I'd rather see a mod that prevents the (configurable) auto pick up of clutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Heffer posted:

I still murder every troll I see, regardless of not needing their drops.

Two-shotting Trolls with frost arrows will never get old.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

My first 'base' is pretty terrible ...

My first base is the tiny little basement of my four story Sams Club sized iron wood supported base.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

On the merchant - is there a guarantee that a merchant will exist on the starting island, or can he be anywhere on the map? I've not found him and I'm wondering if I need to completely explore my starting island to find him or if it's completely random where he will be.

It's completely random. There are multiple locations he can appear however so it's not all that hard to run into one. He always appears in the Black Forest so prioritize exploring those. One you find him in one location the others.get locked out I believe.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Otacon posted:

Small Valheim update hit - update your servers!

There are some comments that this update broke some mods, so update Bepinex too.

Updated to BepInEx 5.4.10.0 and game crashes with mods for me.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah yes, one of the charms of a game still in active development is regularly having to wait a couple days after each update to play again if you use mods.

Especially since it seems like these devs tolerate modding but don't really like it.

Probably because individual mods also have to be updated, yeah?

Maybe, 5.4.10.0 is a week old. Seems more likely BepInEx needs an update to me, but I'm not crawling through code to figure it out.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Otacon posted:

It seems like their Github isn't updated, but there's definitely an update from today here:
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/denikson/BepInExPack_Valheim/

Worked for me. Thanks fort the tip!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

I think the Lox or linen cape should prevent wet, or at least the Wet created by rain. Not sure how you'd make that make sense, but it'd be nice. As-is I can't see not wearing a wolf cape forever.

Yeah, the fact that Vikings can't seem to invent a rain coat kinda irks me. But as a game mechanic changes unravel quickly.

My new want is a house Dwarf to do rudimentary tasks like keep all my light sources topped off. "Sir, we're running low on resin, would you mind terribly murdering sever dozen of my kin as to replenish supplies?"

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Maypole craftable threw me for a while. Had to go pick up the ingredients to make it before the game would recognize it was craftable... just like everything else ever but man I found dandelions and thistle a looooong time ago.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Looks like that latest patch nerfed the unlimited boar farm designs. They simply wont eat.
Not surprised they put a stop to that clear exploit, a bit surprised nothing was mentioned in the changelog.
I'll miss my 4x4 wall pen overflowing piglets onto the surrounding terrain.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

The gently caress is the secret to building docks in this game? Every youtube video makes it look terrible and tedious, and building it on land and then digging down tot he water isn't viable either since you end up swimming in shallow rear end water and Wet, so that's even more tedious.

Someone give me some sort of dock building secret knowledge.

Tip: It's terrible and tedious

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

That mod seems cool but I play on a dedicated server and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh that thing requires you to install two other mods plus the stupid Nexus Mod Manager and Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'd rather not fall into a cave of depression and suicidal ideation over a game.

Virtually all mods are client side. As in you can be running pretty much any collection of mods you want independently of the server AND any other player on that server.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: I don't even think Valheim even WORKS with the Nexus Mod Manager, so definitely don't install that as part of the process of getting things set up.

Nexus works fine for my Valhiem install.

Nexus itself is kludgy and hey spend money on me to get something 4 seconds faster irritating. But it's nice to have a one button check for updates. Since mods and modding have no official support I had thought we'd see more mod updating than has been the case. Perhaps that will pick up once new content comes out.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

Also, how mod-friendly have patches been? Do fixes and minor patches tend to break every mod, forcing you to wait for a mod update, or can you typically ride em out?

The only time I can recall mods breaking was an update that included a unity version update. And the mods were fine, it was BepInEx that crapped the bed.

Having said that the DEVs have directly stated they have no intention of supporting any mod. We also haven't had an update in a couple months.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

dogstile posted:

Yeah this was my first thought too. I don't give a poo poo about the new food stuff if it means that i'm actively avoiding it so i can actually have inventory space.

I guess we'll have to see, but they at least seem to think that splitting the new food stuffs will allow one to specialize in stamina vs health so one wouldn't necessarily be trying to do both all the time. I'm actively avoiding some food stuffs already before hearth and home. But that's a good point. I'd sure be nice if they added a pickup filter (yes I know there is already a mod for that).

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Emerged from a swamp at night into my first discovered plains right on top of a fuling village. Panicked and made for a nearby mountain top Portal I'd dropped using a different vector than from where I emerged only to run right into my first tar pit... welp.

It's a small thing, but I really like how they took away the "I'm over here" screeches of leeches. Makes you pay more attention when traveling through the swamps.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

2) Autostack (press ~ to stack everything from your inventory into appropriate nearby chests)

Do you have a link for this? I searched on Nexus and all it came up with is something called AutoStackFix whose description don't match what you say it does.

drewhead fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 29, 2021

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

quote:

Removed comfort from Crystal wall

Why? That's dumb.

I was considering building a Viking office building out of crystals supported by iron wood.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Uldor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezILuTnZ1vs

H&H Base work in progress, I have yet to kill the Elder and have been spending way too much time clear cutting and replanting trees...

Replanting Trees? gently caress that! This isn't my Valhalla. I was just sent here by Odin to kill poo poo.

I am completely addicted to making every wall a crystal wall.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

I just used fire arrows from a distance and it was easy as pie.

This, they are sceptical to fire damage. Two fire arrows are usually enough. Pick your fight, try and approach so you can get one at range before the others know you are there.

The only real problem I've had with them is stumbling upon a pit when fighting/running from something else. Once you get tarred then you're hosed.

Kiting them into Lox or vice versa and watching from a distance is entertaining.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I just wiped out a Fuling village without firing a shot. I found one of those Dragur meadows villages practically on top of it. So I opened all the barn doors, ran through the fulings a time or two, hopped up on a building roof and watched. Fulings won't directly attack body piles so Dragur keep spawning until the fulings are all black metal scrap. RARRRR! and all the entrails I could want!

This is now my favorite thing. I hope I find another.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

He sells the thing that lets you build the thing to destroy stuff you don’t want.
Be careful getting too close to him, he's got worms.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

piL posted:

No portals for ore or metal, but add NPCs that will (slowly) move them for you if you have enough of an infrastructure for them to travel along--bases with close enough waystations, roads, ports within range of each other etc.

I want a house Grey Dwarf that keeps topping off all my light sources.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

avoraciopoctules posted:

Finding multiple standing stones in the plains is really fun for megaprojects. Once I started playing with console commands, the only real building limit was the strain capacity of my building materials. It's been really fun seeing what you can theoretically make with the highest grade of materials and favorable conditions. All I need to do now is make my 10 story tower fortress look like more than just an ugly cinderblock tenement.

I framed with iron wood and glassed (crystal window) the entire front of my 10 story 16x12 Viking Office tower.

Was gonna do the other three walls but petered out cause gently caress farming that much crystal.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

For what it's worth I 100% recommend signing up for the test patch.

Anybody running their server in docker lloesche/valheim-server know how to tell the container to use the test branch?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The first rule of all the caves is Always Left.

WRONG
It's always right. And it goes for caves, crypts, and chambers.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

Hey all, just started this game totally fresh and I need some suggestions/help. I just killed the first boss so now I can mine. I explored the dark forest a little bit and found some more I can harvest, but the other two resources I need are proving to be harder to find. Is there like a cave or something in the dark forest? Also, how far away from the spawn do I need to find the ore that is by the water?

Copper is found in the middle of the forest in big boulders that are usually 3/4s buried. They looks slightly different than normal boulders as in they have a shinny streak in them. When you are on top of one it will say "Copper Ore". Each boulders yields roughly a cart full of copper ore. Tin ore is found on the shoreline in small rocks that required breaking them. Each one usually yields 3-4 ore. I don't think there is any relationship to spawn point for their occurrence. There is something like a cave in the dark forest and there is a resource you will need in order to smelt the copper and tin ore in them. Keep exploring, they tend to be plentiful.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Burns posted:

I hope they add some kind of squito trap in the future

I'm down with a Grey Dwarf Eye powered bug zapper.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

Is there any gain to clearing those Draugr villages other than maybe getting a sweet trophy? I did it a couple times but it just seems a giant pain in the rear end for very little reward.

Kite a Fusling Berserker over, hop up on a roof, watch the fun. Raaawr!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I have some bad news for you about fishing irl

You mean pounding mead?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah the big mods usually break with a major patch and then are updated within a few days. Smaller ones sometimes break and turn out to be abandoned. But there isn't even a great deal smaller mods do that Valheim Plus doesn't. It really is your fully customizable one-stop shop for 90% of the stuff you'd want to mod Valheim for (other than conversions like Epic Loot).

Also the last patch was in March, so it's not like this is happening all the time.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Dropping this during the Holidays is a pretty lovely thing to do to my family.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Burns posted:

Question. Can I run a server on my main PC even when im playing as well? So long as server running in background or would that be too much? So say as long as my PC is on my friends can play on the same world without me being around?

I did this when I first started playing and the only real issue I had was a second or two lag glitch when the world auto save occurred. Nine times out of ten no biggie, but every once in a while it would happen when fighting something and I'd get turned around.

So I moved it off to my NAS server in a container. Recommend

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Install the here fishy mod.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

pik_d posted:

This really feels like you don't understand game development. They have reinvested money and have grown the studio, it's just not on the timeline that you seem to think is possible.

Actually it [to what you are replying] sounds like management. More $ and more people = faster software development. Works every time in any development shop I've ever been a member. There are no other factors.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Washin Tong posted:

Some things look nice though, but more focused mods do content and QoL better.

This. Why install a dozen or so focused Mods when one can install on and be done.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

concise posted:

valhost.net is $9/mo and worked great for my group until we started self hosting a docker container

Have you gotten the new content in your container yet? I just got around to trying today and the container wont download the new server. I'm using lloesche/valheim-server.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I like how when I've clearly bitten off more than I can chew, gotten overwhelmed by a mob, poison, etc and I'm gonna die. Like when it's just a matter of time, my brain says, OK, in the next 3 seconds where can I run to make corpse retrial easier.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Oh interesting. How does it work/interact with a dedicated server? The other mods i had to install on the server & local. I assume this won't be much different, but then how does it get configured? Is it controlled by a file in the folder or in-game?

Virtually all mods are client side. V+ is nice because you say that you only want to do this one thing but when you decide you want to do thing 2 V+ probably already has it and you just need to enable it in the config.

Having said that, if you absolutely don't want to install the Swiss army knife that V+ is, you an take a look at Quick Stack - Store - Sort - Trash - Restock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

but I'd rather have a crappy max health then drop dead because I didn't keep a bar filled.

I've died so many times building stuff in the safety of my earth walled off base. I get so involved in building I forget to eat. Then I fall and immediately look at my health to see 25.

I even have build camera installed but really only use it to build docks or scout fish. Scaffolding poo poo really does it for me.

I rerolled with Mistlands and haven't even got to the new content yet. Too busy building bridges.