Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solefald posted:

I'm loving this game but my partner keeps being a big grump because I want to establish a super safe settlement while he wants to traverse across the world in search for copper ore, oh nooo

you're having fun wrong!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's balanced around a team. solo play will be rather slow but possible

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solefald posted:

idk it kinda bothers me, like there's certain points in the music that really bothers my auditory sensitivity.
I've been really enjoying it with no music at all all day today, it's very immersive.

3 of us UK goons play together but we don't have a constant server as we just want to adventure together when we have time, so far we've only really progressed to the bronze age and I've finally convinced my partner to focus on our base a little bit more so we can actually make decent armour and weapons and then hopefully move further on.

we need endless copper and trollskin and i will not budge on this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm, seems the game includes tiki torches??

problematic imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OgNar posted:

Those small islands may not actually be islands.
Specifically

jesus christ you need to eat another bite. three more bites! you're totally nude and biteless!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

are you an investor or what

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Any ideas why wall sconces sometimes randomly go out? They all have same amount of fuel, some locations on the walls just can't keep a sconce burning.

maybe smoke buildup, like with fires?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Warbird posted:

I’ve seen folks asking about hosting servers in a few places and figured I’d share something I typed up for another group of folks here should it be of any usage. Friends don’t let friends pay a premium for hosted servers.

so this is really cool, thanks for that.

for people doing this on windows who presumably do not touch computer in quite such an intimate way for a living, my lessons are:

• the cat command doesn't work; just copy the contents of the id_rsa.pub file by opening it in notepad
  • take the BB tags out of the wget line to install the server manager
  • entering [External IP]:2457 won't work if you've set the config to port="2456"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sorry yeah i should have said i was just using cmd.exe, forgot about the powershell mention

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

basically either do that or console them in

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you enjoying this game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in retrospect i probably shouldn't have set up a dedicated server on a google VM for an EA game, without any idea of how to restart it and update the version of valheim running on it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how is getting a boat unstuck miserable? you just get out and push

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

christ i wish greydwarves dropped thistles

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

genericnick posted:

Draugrs already turn into sausages what more do you want?

bit hosed up that you need humanoid intestines to make sausages but w/e

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Our longhouse has a dragon bed above a drop ceiling because I couldn't come up with a natural way to get the comfort bonus near all the other comfort stuff. :smith:

"nah it's cool, i don't need to sleep on it. i just... like to know it's there."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

because server sizes are so small, rather than spin up a valheim specific discord that'll get one post per fortnight after about a month, it might make sense to just create a private games server thread and have people coordinate in there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would imagine you'll have encountered mountains before you encounter swamps, and you'll be getting recipes for frost resistance mead from picking up bloodbags.

if you're getting owned in the plains and can't do anything with the drops it might nudge you towards the peaks i guess

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't quite follow the technical details of the materials post; it seems to be saying you can make wooden structures 800m high, so i think there's a bit of context missing in the loss values section

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't you harpoon and drag?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

classic steve

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you will have multiple bases probably and a way to easily move between them. it's nice to have a good meadows base

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do the same but with enemies. two star lox are incredibly detailed, nature-documentary poo poo. one star lox are ps4 quality. no star lox are

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you will always crave the sausage

plus you'll need the thistles for the next biome as well

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can get swampthistles as well but it's way more of a faff to scour a swamp than it is a black forest

i tend to forage thistle/raspberries/meat as one "time to do some maintenance" trip by wandering meadows/forests

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol the devs are probably still panicking

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

thanks for the tips! i've heard iron armor isnt necessary to beat bonedaddy, is it still recommended?

any thoughts on the serpent scale shield?

tower shield, so no parry, so probably bad, imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc neither plants nor bees like having a roof over them, but they're fine with nearby walls so long as they're not too nearby

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

start a new seed

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Is it terrible of me that I made a "cloud storage" map specifically for the purpose of transporting ores back to my base?

My initial island is huge and I didn't feel like relocating anywhere and carts with 4000lbs of ore in them basically don't move well, so I started to get lazy around the time I was mining scrap iron out of the crypts. I figured five cart loads of copper and tin to make more bronze than I'd ever need to have each taking a full day to move up the hill carved out with switchbacks was enough.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Firebert posted:

Iron is the worst part of game, it's so tedious to gather and even the plains recipes inexplicably need a ton of it to craft and upgrade stuff. IMHO plains absolutely needs to have mineable iron.

the insanely easy way to do this would be to allow black metal chunks to be smeltable into iron, and also turned into black metal ingots the usual way

rename them "black metal alloy mix" or something. bam. no more mining, more reason to find and kill fulings

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean they're one of the most elusive fruit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tired: fenced-off pig enclosure
wired: HOG PITS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

place a chair up in the rafters, out of sight

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is their publisher not gonna take a shitload

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell, train all the animals. make a base on a troll

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

longboat is a beak thing, i know, i know, it's serious

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Phigs posted:

Iron pickaxe is the highest level pickaxe and the only thing that can mine silver and obsidian so it's definitely he first priority.

As a downside though it can only be repaired on a level 2 forge.

that is a downside but i wouldn't say it's a particularly huge downside. in the use case of wanting to set up a forge near where you're mining, the biggest pain'll always be the copper imo. you can haul sharpening stones around and through portals pretty much at will as soon as your have your first stonecutter set up

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it ain't automatic but the vhserver package has an update function

log onto your vm, and assuming you followed the guide and created a "vhserver" user,

code:
su - vhserver
./vhserver
to get all the commands.

you want ./vhserver update and then possibly ./vhserver restart anyway, even though it should restart if it needs it

e: that hyphen is important and kept me annoyed for some time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why the hell are sea serpents so nutritious