Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I've been really wanting to finally play P5R but I'm still holding onto foolish hope of a PC release

Someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

What sort of horrible monster would beat up Nanako

Come to think of it what sort of horrible monster would steal Nanako's pudding out of the fridge

Hopefully nanako would just be an invincible assist

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They should finally release P5R on PC so it can also sell a ton more copies

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I honestly just prefer English voices in general for games/rpgs when available

I dunno, even when it's not great it still adds something for me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The idea of stuff like having to manage the links and having backsliding links seems cool except as it turns out people don't actually find that enjoyable generally because they just want to hang out with their anime friendos.

I liked it tbh, but I can see why it didn't appeal to people

Then again, the social stuff is a big part of the reason that I enjoy the persona games. So making that more engaging and require more planning is fun to me

Shame about the actual content of the social links though in P3. Oof

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yeah, fwiw I still feel like P3 most strongly executes it's themes in the main plot. For it's many, many flaws the main plot and general tone of the game is the best of the 3 I've played so far

But it's certainly the hardest to go back to from a mechanical perspective. Also the final boss is very thematic and flavorful, but I would never wish playing it on anyone. The ole classic charm into diarahan and an instant kill landing in the final phase ensured that

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The game does pick up through the end yeah, and they do resolve the phantom thieves story pretty ok in my opinion

But being totally honest though, if you're not liking the game that much I don't think it's going to change your opinion. P5 is definitely a slow burn, and the slice of life stuff is still going to be a huge chunk of your playtime even when the plot is picking up since you can still beat every dungeon in like a single dive

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey thread, popping in to ask if p5 (either vanilla or royal) has had a swtich or PC port annouced yet, thanks

It's.. it's coming any day now. It has to be... it has to be :smith:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I honestly can't believe they haven't announced a port yet. It seems like such an easy slam dunk that I can only imagine that there must be some weird licensing thing going on for royal

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1463205730211844097?lang=en is becoming more prophetic every day

But for real though, don't waste time on playing games that you hate, only so much time on the earth and unless you're getting paid it doesn't seem worth it in the slightest

Fwiw I actually really enjoyed p5 all the way through on release. It helps though that I absolutely love slice of life stuff, even if the writing is kinda ham handed sometimes. But just like P4 it doesn't seem to really stick the landing. Pretty excited to revisit Royal at some point

I do kinda wish though that we could go back to the halcyon days of a tight-ish 40-60 hours of game in RPGs

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I actually really liked Futaba's dungeon and the story in general (for all of its flaws, it absolutely nails the media cycle the phantom thieves go through), its just that Shido is a weak villain all things considered and Yaldy isn't built up to enough to really make him work. The third semester stuff is interesting and cool but it still suffers from kind of being tacked on, even though they did their best to integrate its characters and themes throughout the base story.

I think I mentioned it up thread too, but I feel like P4G has a similar problem at the end.

4's first villain is interesting, but the first time I played it with the base game I felt like the whole twist just sort of came out of nowhere. Didn't feel like they'd really earned the big twist I guess. When I played the PC release I foolishly didn't complete the relevant social link (I'd thought I had a month more) so maybe that helps idk. Then in 4 they do the whole true end thing which again just sort of felt pretty whatever

I like the games a lot, but in both games they try to do a big mystery thing, but mysteries that the audience can't solve because the clues aren't given are profoundly unsatisfying. Also the last second pivot to true villains never feels like they set it up enough, but that might just be me?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

P5's endgame is a mess in general. Royal doesn't do much to fix that either, but at least the new content after it is interesting.

Yeah, thinking back from what I wrote a little bit ago it's not that P5 failed as a mystery or something.

It definitely just looks like they were in kind of a rush to jam it out right at the end because it's just sort of a messy resolution to a game that otherwise thrives on being insanely polished.

At some point I still want to play P5R. My PS4 is all packed away though so I'm still holding out for a surprise announcement in the last few months of their anniversary thing for a PC port.

I wonder when P6 will happen come to think of it, you'd think the announcement would be coming sometime soon considering Persona 5 is like 5 years old at this point

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

Also please don't take away the life sim stuff, I really love this stuff and Persona's one the few places I can still get my fix for this junk.

:yeah:

In some ways it's honestly my favorite part of the games

Gaius Marius posted:

I want them to give me a reason to hang with my friends and girlfriends after I max the link. They started going that way a bit, but it's always bothered me that you end up in a relationship with them and then never talk to them again most the time. If I chose to dump all my limited time romancing someone, that means I like the character and want more scenes with them.

This would be the best change imo. I'd love for a reason to keep hanging out with people. Persona 5 does have additional date/friend hang out text, but give me mechanical bonuses comparable to starting new links or something. Give me more events, additional side stories once we max that link, that kind of stuff

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mirello posted:

I think the problem is just weak writing, and it's difficult to write well when it's so diluted across so many s-links. it'd be cool if they had fewer s-links, but better writing and more variable paths. if your choices actually had consequences, rather than just being +1 or +0 to your relationship. it'd also be amazing if relationships with the characters could effect the main plot, and vice versa.

I think the VO is the major obstacle here tbh, as the size of the game would balloon even more if they had to record a ton of additional dialogue just in case certain flags are set.

It'd be basically perfect if they did that though, even if it was just to the telltale games level of "Ryuji will remember this" and then some minor dialogue differences to reflect that later on. The more they can integrate the slice of life S-link stuff into the game as a whole the happier I'll be tbh

And yeah, it'd be nice if they could figure out a good way to balance the dungeon stuff vs the slice of life stuff so that the game wasn't kind of twisting your arm into running the entire dungeon in a single dive. Or maybe the dungeons are just shorter segments that progressively unlock Tartarus style and don't take up all the rest of your daily slots when you go them?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It seems like they kinda thought of something like this with Madarame's dungeon, where you got to the security fence and had to do something in his house again. If they broke up each dungeon that slower or less confident players could still progress each step fully with a bit of work, the faster players could still make 100% progress each time.

It might be annoying to hit the end when you still have enough resources to continue, and it might take you out of the dungeoning groove to go do some busywork irl again, but it might be a better balance.

That's true

It'd also reduce the satisfaction of getting to the end of the dungeon and having the huge list of objectives you completed roll across the scene like in P5, which was always funny. It really feels like they set the game up for the dungeons to take multiple days, but there was just too many ways to avoid doing that trivially.

Honestly some of the dungeons were pretty big slogs going through them for like 6 hours or whatever, but it feels like such a punishment to compromise another day of slice of life stuff cause you still have to finish the plot dungeon. It would be less of a chore if they allowed a "dungeon/mementos/whatever" slot during the day in addition to the slice of life slots that could optionally be used for some social links or something once you've completed it.

If they're worried about people power leveling or something they could borrow the fatigue system from P3 so that the more often you go the more of your people become available/more stat downs you get

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1511731707715719179

Cool.. tweet of your games' opening I guess? I guess it did release in April outside of Japan, so this is a 5 year anniversary thing I suppose.

They're just teasing us at this point.

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 6, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

They've been posting every opening weekly for months now

Oh, well in that case I'm just dumb

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man, is it finally going to happen????

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pretty excited for P5R to finally be out on PC. I knew resisting the temptation to just get it on PS4 would pay off eventually

I'm pretty pumped for a P3P remaster as well. I bought a PSP way late into it's life specifically to play the game, but never really ended up doing so. Something about those old handheld games for me just never really clicked for whatever reason.

Curious to see how it holds up (or maybe how much it doesn't). Hopefully they'll bring the difficulty modification settings from P4G's re-release into both games. I really appreciate just being able to set it to double money or whatever and never have to worry about that if I didn't want to when it came time to get some cash for upgrades, since I've played all of these games before.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Because Atlus also posted their own trailer shortly afterwards and there was no mention of Steam in there either. Just "Windows PC". Which is generally the label that is used when a product is being moneyhatted for some other poo poo store with a radioactive brand like EGS (or idk maybe the Windows Store in this instance).

I dunno Atlus is just super weird with exclusivity in general.

It'd be pretty weird for it to not hit steam considering P4G did. But then again, maybe Microsoft is paying for the ports and want to keep it exclusive or something, who knows

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

That's a good keikaku

My kokoro wish is that developers do this more often

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Well, if you're going to bring up stupid examples of that, yeah.

Nakama is honestly not that hard to translate. Something like senpai is harder because we just don't really do upperclassman/lowerclassman stuff, and honorifics have both linguistic and cultural function. Of course not -all- honorifics aren't translatable, but there are a few that just can't make the jump. "san" is pretty easy to just change to Mr. or Ms.

The nakama example is particularly funny though because by leaving it untranslated a whole generation of one piece fans thought it meant something more than just friends or crew, until Oda explicitly was like "what? No guys it doesn't mean anything special what the heck"

I think the san suffix is easy enough yeah, and we can just obviously sub in bruh for some of the other ones :hmmyes:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Just misplaced the apostrophe, should've been gun's undarkness

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mods are probably the big thing, otherwise yeah I think it's mostly just 4k/120FPS on the PC version if you so choose.

And steam deck portability yeah

Edit: I wonder what the first highly posted mod for P5R will be. My money is on replacing the main character with a CJ model, seems like it's been the hot mod tech for awhile

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 18, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I wonder if they're adding the difficulty options that they did for the P4G steam release. That was fantastic for just cruising through the RPG parts of the game while still having stuff to engage with

I guess it's not really any different then just cranking the game on the easiest setting though functionally

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

They didn't add those options for P4G though, they just let you do it before NG+ the way the Vita version worked, iirc

Oh I didn't realize that, good to know

Although sorta a shame because it was nice to just turn up whatever you wanted

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jexner posted:

The PC version of Persona 5 Royal runs like a dream and shares the save game between pc and xbox which opens up to some abuse probably.

Gonna have to run it on a fairly top end intel surface so here's hoping the port is good!

Once I'm back from travelling though I'm pretty excited to crank it up to 4k max FPS on my actual gaming computer. The game already looked good on PS4 way back when, I can only imagine how good it'll look at full power

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:v: well I more meant in the like, rhetorical sense rather than the literal sense. But it's true, it does look good!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Welp, persona 5 out of the box definitely doesn't run all that well on my surface. I could probably play with the settings and make it tolerable but I'm going to be back on Sunday anyway so I'll just wait a few days to start

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Really dumb question I'm sure, but do you have to re-unlock the ability to use the stealth/hiding mechanic after the very intro of the game?

I've just gotten through the majority of the tutorial, up to unlocking the day to day stuff and about ready to head back into the first palace, but for whatever reason outside of the very beginning of the game I haven't been able to do the whole "hide behind things and advance through a room." It's been years since I played the base version of the game on PS4, so I can't remember if I just need Morgana to tell me about it again, or if I'm supposed to be doing something to bring up the prompts :v:

You'd think I'd remember since I played the beginning part of the game on Sunday but uh.. apparently not

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HaB posted:

Yeah it will unlock a bit further in.

Ah ok, figured as much!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's very silly, but I still like the framing device for exactly that reason :shobon:

I just think of Sae like she's doing the whole mystery detective media protagonist thing of deducing extremely specific reasons for extremely specific details

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

I can only assume Sae's just not really paying attention past a certain point, which I guess makes sense. I'd also glaze over after the tenth time Joker tells me about how he planned that night to go out and eat a 4,000 calorie mega-burger to get charming enough for Makoto, but the talking cat said no you gotta stay home so instead I watched Guy McVer on DVD so I could learn to make more lockpicks.

This is actually my for real favorite part about the framing device. Because presumably he's telling this all to Sae she gets to listen to me wasting a million days attempting to eat giant burgers and such just over and over and over again

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'd really like to see more of the P3 Slink mechanics come back, like having to hang out with the slinks your leveling regularly or else they reverse, ability to break links, etc. I just think those mechanics are neat

But I do think they should move back to the P3 style "adventuring/dungeon crawling dedicated time slot" rather than it taking an entire day away from you. I also really liked how spending too much time in tartarus in one session would run the risk of your people getting overly exhausted and ultimately sick, which meant they wouldn't be available for subsequent nights or your stats would be lower until you recovered.

Both of those things probably wouldn't be popular moves though, I've definitely heard people online talking about how they hate that there's a time limit at all in P5R, so making it so that you have to balance your social calendar and not overuse people in dungeons or you get penalized would probably be even more frustrating :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Persona 3 was the best game at treating your dungeon crawling as another activity that you needed to schedule your life around like school clubs and your social life but I think people don't really like the actual social life mechanics like backsliding links in practice

I thought it was a cool mechanic :shobon: but yeah I think the wider audience that the game has at this point would absolutely hate that kind of stuff? It also makes the games WAY more strict to 100%, since you can't run every s.link at the same time without some of them reversing or breaking since you just don't have time to hang out with everyone regularly

At least it didn't include tokimeki bomb mechanics so a s.link slipping impacted the other ones. Although....

neonchameleon posted:

The problem with the "too much time" mechanics is that they are essentially buying an anti-lottery ticket. It's not fun to have a random chance of a debuff. Instead I'd like stamina meters for all the party members to encourage you to not just stick with a core team; they get a buff when fresh and their performance and even the S-link degrades at high levels.

What I think I also want is a "Mini-Memento" team hangout where you, Morgana, and a couple of party members of your choice go on what's intended to be a short Mementos dive essentially as a hangout activity.

Yeah that's true, changing it to be a stat you can actually track (and therefore swap people out so they can get some rest, or choose to press on knowing that it will impact you) would be a good QoL change for this hypothetical idea

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly I don't think I ever left a palace for longer than a week, and once I had SP restorative accessories I just did them all in one run because there's not really a reason not to and it gives you more life sim days

They are kinda slogs though that way, either making it more segmented and integrated into the story, like for example you have to go on this specific day due to plot reasons, or giving it a separate time slot would do wonders for making it feel better to pace yourself

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

One reason is that he's mad about time limits because he doesn't want to miss anything. But making a safety save to go back to in case you mess up is beyond the pale I guess.

He should just follow a guide then because it's reasonable strict enough that you need a pretty set schedule to get absolutely everything done

I still think the games are way more fun if you don't try to do everything in one go since you get to take your time and just enjoy what you do see :shrug:

Plus if you really like it it's not terrible on a new game+ since you don't have to build your stats and can just absolutely smash your way through combat with end game personas

I literally rotate 5 different saves and have on every RPG I've ever played though. I honestly don't think I've gone back more than like.. two saves at most but dang it, what if one breaks or I forgot something!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

He doesn't want to use a guide, doesn't want to play the game twice, he's something kind of maniac imo.

That way lies madness, but honestly as long as he's having fun it's fine

I literally cannot imagine playing any game using only a single save slot though

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also it's far easier to do a lot of stuff in Royal, the first time I played P5 i maxed like 3 or 4 confidants total

the only guide stuff I do is the S-link responses because that's not too hard to just have on the phone

Yeah I do use a guide for that, and I'mma be honest for demon negotiation as well. Mostly though because some of the max point responses are a bit unintuitive to me, though the demon responses are way worse. Like I get that I need a jokey answer for something, but then the jokey answer is just "I'll make you into soup" when the demon said "don't make me into soup." I don't get how that's jokey :psyduck:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

You know, I guess I haven't really looked but the first time I was playing the game I could never really figure out what the most efficient options for building your social stats were, outside of things like studying when it's raining where the game makes it a really obvious point.

Everything seemed roughly similar outside of those sorts of events. Aside from shoving a million burgers into Joker's face since it built multiple stats (or maybe I'm confusing that with my replay of P4G and the meat dimension)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

Royal actually takes away the best ways to build Knowledge early on by removing the diner until May and making the library give a point of Guts instead of a second Knowledge point in the first month. Of course, it doesn't really change that it's very easy to max everything.

Yeah it's pretty easy to just max everything anyway, since all the options seem like they're about as good as the others for the most part. I feel like there's probably some sort of optimal activity for each stat in theory though? But they all seem to give roughly 2 points, sometimes 1 unless a special condition like rain or whatever occurs