Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It definitely feels like early combo magic is there as a bonus if the stars align rather than something you actively go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Junpei posted:

Do you feel like Serenoa and Frederica actually love each other? I've heard some people saying their relationship feels natural, while other people say that it feels stiff and purely political despite them being very kind to each other.

It depends on how you play Serenoa honestly. Early on you can just be totally into her or not and I feel like that sets a tone that the game doesn't go to great lengths to alter.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Anna is beyond broken, that's all there is. She's the best unit by miles at the moment.

Anyway, my habit right now is rotating through all my characters and playing the ones that need XP, but the story missions seem to be indicating that I'm underleveled. Am I screwing myself over?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Man I do not think Chapter 5 expected me to just pile all my forces on one side of the map.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Caidin posted:

Soranoa climbs a ladder and deepens his convictions.

Perhaps he's confirming his utilitarian views by using a tool in such a pragmatic fashion? Or is he in fact celebrating his liberty by doing whatever he wants even in a crisis? Or wait no... maybe he seeks the moral high ground...

Also in weapon upgrades you should just always grab the weapon damage one first right? unless your like Benedict or something and just acting as a stonewall buff bot?

Not always on weapon damage. Your mages give no shits about weapon damage, your shield tank cares more about overall HP and your healers care more about evasion and defense.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Caidin posted:

See, the healer weapon damage upgrades also note that it increases their healing power so I wasn't really sure if that meant that Frederica was better off with that or the clear weather effect.

I'm pretty confident that healers report the exception rather than the exception being standard and healers being the only one to report it if that makes sense.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd say strategically the big thing in this game to think about how you can create a force advantage through positioning.

For example, on the chapter VI map there are two paths you can take around. If you split your forces to deal with it, the map becomes a lot harder, but if you just dump everything you have up one path, take that front down and then let the second path reinforce into you, you'll have a much easier time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To me the story is the best part by miles. The choices presented are genuine ones that are solidly set up by the game and the motivations between the different sides are explored to an extent that I've not seen in a game. Even the surprises such that they are don't come out of nowhere.

You have to be able to tolerate the idea that you'll be reading / listening to a lot of dialogue but if you do then it's genuinely very interesting and I've been wondering what would have happened if I took a different path.

I'd definitely agree that the characters are the weakest part. Driven largely by the base cast being fairly broad and the extended cast being expansive.

That said you don't really need much beyond "Evil clown girl" as a character to have me on board.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I literally do not see how the political intrigue is one dimensional and obvious on my playthrough.

This could just be story variation but at this point I think I'm mired in a five+ faction conflict and I have no idea where it's going to go.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Playing on Normal because I was unfamiliar with FFT going in. I'm pretty consistently underleveled as well but largely the missions have been fine. Although I can imagine that if you don't employ the right tactics they can become overwhelming quickly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think the difference here is the doing mental battles more than once to bring your forces in line.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Well my NPC suicided into the opposing team and cost me my first victory after I had them wiped.

Can someone tell the team that uncontrollable NPCs you need to protect are the loving worst.

To be clear, he walked into range of 3 enemies that all had turns in a row and they killed him from 100% before I could do anything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
All that being said I would feel like doing an ironman run of this game would be absolutely hilarious.

Edit: Also I really appreciate the game's choices now. It keeps nailing me over and over again on what I will sacrifice in the name of practicality and I've finally come to a line I won't cross.

So yeah, good job game.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 8, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What is it?

Spoilers for Chapter XI, Route is: 3 Green, 7 Yellow, 8 Yellow, 9 Yellow, 10 Red, 11 Green.

House Ende of Hyzante was suspected of smuggling salt. I was asked by Hyzante to investigate the smuggling and was requested by Ende to smuggle salt to Aesfrost. I decided to investigate the full extent of the smuggling chain because I thought I didn't have enough evidence to start. So I ended up smuggling salt to Aesfrost. This largely worked because I found a cool ally in Aesfrost as a result of my work.

While I did this Hyzante independently uncovered evidence against Ende, so when I got back I was accused of helping them smuggle.

Serenoa argued that we were made to smuggle under duress, which is unfortunately not the best claim when instead he could have said that we were actively investigating and gathering evidence.

So Hyzante said that in return for House Ende's position distributing salt and a seat as part of the saintly seven we had to give up the Roselle in Wolfort territory.

Put simply, over my loving dead body am I sending a persecuted minority back to slavery after I promised to protect them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The only place I'd immediately disagree on is Picoletta because Decoy destroys entire offenses.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I absolutely cannot put this game down.

All my scheming worked out the way I wanted it to.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly this is probably the best strategy game I've played since 3H Maddening dropped and if that difficulty didn't exist it would probably be my favourite since Fire Emblem Awakening.

Yeah I can't turn my army into Wyvern Lord killing machines but I've won most battles convincingly from terrible starting positions through use of tactics and synergies between my characters.

Typically the complexity is such that I can broadly employ principle based tactics.

So; get your archers high, get your tanks to choke points, get your mages to blast down clusters or pick at their healers. But it doesn't go so far as to become Fire Emblem Conquest levels of stupidity where you need to read up on five abilities per unit to figure out if your man is going to die to poison damage.

At least on normal I'm not finding that my characters will lose 1v1s. Hell, Anna managed to kill two archers on her lonesome on the last map. In fact I'm winning at pretty extreme numerical disadvantages through AoE magic and both provoke and decoy being completely bonkers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Does anyone know of a source of silver in the game? One of my characters can't upgrade their weapon to level 2 and the merchants don't seem to be getting any new stock. I'm in chapter 18.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't think the game was prepared for my setup that fires map wide lightning every turn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Vegetable posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers but here’s my question: I just got some units that appear to be pre-promos — they’re joining as Veterans. Does the Fire Emblem wisdom apply here? Are pre promos generally gonna have lower stats and be less worth it?

Nope! They're just as good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think taking characters away based on your choices more so than they did would have sucked.

Anna is best girl but I also don't want to need to agree with her every time for fear she'll leave me and screw all my upgrades.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Just finished my first run.

Clear was:

Red/Benedict/God King Serenoa route. I accidentally introduced capitalism without safety nets to Norzelia....oops.

I'm still happy with the outcome. Leaving the Rozelle to die was unacceptable and so was peacing out on everyone when the world was hosed.

If FFXIV didn't exist this would be my favourite game in nearly two years. Every single choice felt like it had weight, the combat was impeccable and every single character had depth.

The game is *just* open enough that I was able to crack it open and feast on the gooey insides as I ended entire maps with global lightning.

That felt amazing as did every insane discovery or tactical innovation I came up with.

I think that the game could just not have XP and be better for it. Needing to leave party members behind because I wasn't going to grind their levels sucked and the overlevel throttling was brutal anyway.

There's more to think about but broadly if you like this turn based strategy games this is just about the best you're getting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait how do I access my NG+ stat screen?

I want to see what my playthrough was actually like!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Start a new game + and go to War Chronicle.

Thinking of going for another ending or the Golden One.

I definitely can't find that option on my war chronicle.

Turns out I missed the golden ending by a single choice.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kingtheninja posted:

What are some good choices for weapon upgrades? Like do mage weapons affect their spell power or does it just affect when they use the specific weapon?

Mage weapons do not affect spell power, but top tier weapon upgrades give everyone the chance for a new skill.

This is particularly important for the mages because they get ultimate spells from this and these things have versatility.

Spoilers for Ezana's ultimate.

Ezana's ultimate is global lightning, so every single enemy on the map gets nailed by a lightning bolt and those bolts have a paralysis chance. I'm still unsure on quite how it works, but the global lightning has a relatively low hit chance, we're talking between 30 and 60% or so. I've not figured out what actually changes the hit chance. Weirdly, it's not accuracy. I think it might be elevation or level but I can't really be sure.

In any case, this costs 5 TP to cast and takes one turn to finish the channel and fire.

So I set up in such a way that:
Ezana - Vanguard Staff - Turn 1 - Rite of Rain to increase Lightning's Damage.
Julio - Turn 2 - Casts +2 TP on Ezana.
Quietus - Move Ezana's turn up to next.
Ezana - Turn 3 - Cast Global Lightning.
Benedict - Turn x - Cast "Now" on Ezana.
Ezana - Turn X+1 - Global Lightning.

This gets out a Global Lightning around turn 10 of round 1.

Then:
Medina - Double Item - Ranged HP Pellet/Ranged HP Pellet - Grants all the above 2 TP.
Julio - Casts +2 TP on Ezana
Benedict - Casts "Now" on Ezana
Ezana Cast - Global Lightning.
Medina - Double Item - Ranged HP Pellet/Ranged HP Pellet - Grants all the above 2 TP - continue for infinite lightning.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Snooze Cruise posted:

A sorta clever bit with this is the choices each are "fine" with are also the convictions they used to represent.

The third is cordelia, so you get a lady no matter which way you go.

In terms of paths:

The Benedict path seemed like the most logical one to me. I didn't feel I could just walk away and wash my hands of Norzelia. I went out of my way for the Roselle every time they came up in game, but there are good people who'd be hosed if we left them alone.

This way the Roselle ended up free and frankly the most competent person, Serenoa, ended up in charge of all Norzelia. It just seemed right that the ruling family of Norzelia is the King of Glenbrook and a member of the Saintly Seven who is married to an Aesfrosti Rosellan.

Of course then he went full capitalist, but eh, nobody's perfect.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
True ending part 1

Uhh, I have only 7 characters and I have three waves of enemies to deal with and uhhh idk how I even begin to win this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Alard posted:

Getting the most mileage you can out of the traps helps a lot and to help set that up it helps to block off paths enemies can take since they'll usually just take detours which can run them right into a trap. For example the bottom center trap can wipe out a good number of enemies if you block off the steps next to where most of the enemies start with some oil and fire, Anna was really handy for this since she'll get her turn rather quickly and she gets two actions. Also it can really help if you can get Exharme to step into the area with the center trap to knock him out asap.

I actually managed to win in the attempt I was just complaining about in what I think is probably the most insane defense I've ever pulled in any strategy game.

I managed to set up team lightning machine, so Benedict/Julio/Medina/Ezana in the top right of the map. Together they managed to fire off global lightning around five times.

Combined with the top fire lane taking down 3 enemies and blocking that route, I ended up with Exharme isolated near the lightning group whilst Anna (She is an absolute trooper, a key dodge saved her from death and meant she just slaughtered everyone else) ran around the map cleaning up the units on low HP that had survived the lightning onsalught.

I had Archibald sat up near the steps to the final house to kill anything that managed to get through.

I'm not kidding when I say I burned *everything* to do it though. I ran through 10+ Ranged HP recovery pellets and 3 Large Ranged HP recovery pellets fueling the lightning machine.

Rarely has a game ever given me such a satisfying map to solve. That was absolutely amazing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Man it's so weird to see people write off decisions as obvious when I chose the opposite believing it to be just as obvious.

Giving away Roland was a no brainer, he's not dying as long as he's a useful puppet and I don't know what effect the battle would have on my civilians even though I knew I was going to win. Besides he even wants to give himself up.

And smuggling salt was also a no brainer, I want to know who's buying the salt on the other side and actually have real evidence when I bring it against the Saintly Seven.

Serenoa not getting a vote is thematic really. He's meant to be the arbiter so maintaining impartiality keeps people onside even if they don't like the way the vote has gone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Roland isn't going to die no matter what you choose so why not keep him to help you fight? He's a dumb kid so tell him "you're being dumb" and help him through his poo poo instead of letting him self exile like a moronic goth kid.

You're going to have to fight Hyzante regardless of whether or not you have conclusive proof of salt smuggling and even if you have proof Sorsley is rich and powerful so nothing is likely to happen so why not skip all the bullshit and go right after him since you're going to have to fight him anyway?

I'm not saying anyone's choices are wrong but it's weird to think that having solid proof that a billionaire committed crimes will result in justice or that it's a great idea to let your best friend leave your protection because he's dumb.

So Hyzante might well be true if you just believe that there's absolutely no justice at all in Hyzante because the dude's a billionaire. But notably, you're also a billionaire and a valuable asset to them as well.

There is, at least to me, a much better chance that you conclusively stop Ende if you have a real understanding of his Salt business.

As it turns out, in game that ends up not mattering because even more evidence is unearthed against him and the real value of following the route is in investigating who is actually buying up all that salt illegally.

In terms of Roland. The key part isn't Roland, the key part is that I do not want war at my doorstep. Even if it is a war I can win.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm annoyed at the limits on weapon upgrades. I got a really cool new character whose weapon I can't upgrade because I've been out of Silver all game and there's nowhere to farm it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Some great things:

Piccoletta stealing Temporal Distortion and getting a 100% chance 2 turn stop on a boss.

Characters that are hyped for the entire game turning out to be as ridiculous as they were hyped to be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
True ending complete.

This is my favourite strategy game in years. That final sequence was phenomenal with a series of really varied and cool maps.

The game, with a fully developed cast, just feels like an absolute joy to play. I think a lot of this is how much amazing bullshit Medina activates purely through existing but there's so much stuff that unlocks at ultimate ability level that make characters feel perfect.

Hughette's overwatch is a great example, so's Piccoletta's copycat and Milo's temptation. The options the cast affords you are so diverse that no mission needs to feel the same.

The True Ending essentially being the logical conclusion of how I triangulated and thought about the game's choices was the icing on the cake and delivered a really satisfying conclusion overall. I think it stands up even better when contrasted with the other endings.

I'm kinda stunned that I really want to dive into NG+ after like 60 hours of playing this game because I want to see what the other characters can do. (And then make a tier list to annoy everyone)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Levantine posted:

Did you do Golden after one playthrough? You still have several characters to recruit! One of the best archers in the game exists on a path that doesn't lead to that ending Trish - who is a hyper aggressive archer who does tons of damage and steals on hit.

I'm trying to get the three normal endings and recruit everyone first before going for the Golden ending but Elden Ring has taken my attention for the moment. As far as character Tier lists, I haven't really felt that anyone is just heads and shoulders above anyone else. Every single character has a niche they fit into and is good at what they do and oftentimes how good a character is depends on synergies with others. I love that.

I actually missed the true ending on my first run blind by a single choice so I just went back, corrected that and then played through to the end.

The game implied that the Rosellan village was going to give me a cute redhead and drat if I'm not going for that immediately.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy gently caress the first map on Hard NG+ is beating the poo poo out of me.

Poor Roland gets oneshot no takebacks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fangz posted:

Do consumables used in mental battles disappear?

Not if you retreat. Unsure if you win.

Apparently weapon damage upgrades allegedly do increase caster damage. Can someone confirm at all?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ImpAtom posted:

It says they do. Healing too.

Nah the weird part that threw me off is that healer weapons explicitly note that they restore more HP:

But caster weapons have nothing of the sort wrt spell damage:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Story is good to great. Ymmv with the amount of talking but the pace of evens out deeper in and I can say that basically none of the voiced lines are wasted or filler.

I credit getting as close as I did to the true ending on the first run not to any real smarts but due to the game giving such a clear feel of what choices would mean whilst not explicitly stating the consequences of those choices.

Combat is great with some niggles. Certain maps, I'm looking at you mine cart madness, are probably too large for their own good which can hurt the game's pacing a little. But skills are varied and interesting to use and rarely did I feel like anything going wrong was the game screwing me rather than my own mistake.

Progression is iffy. Levels feel pretty superfluous as a mechanic because underleveled characters are so strongly boosted and over leveled characters just don't get meaningful XP. It feels like you could do the game better if you just increased the full roster's level every time you finished a chapter. Additionally the resource requirements for weapon upgrades and promotions might be grating for some. There's a good decision space for how to upgrade, but certain materials, in particular silver, being permanently limited meant I couldn't enjoy all my characters to their fullest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So do you have to play through the game four times to unlock all the characters then? Or is there a quirk to NG+ that stops that need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like NG+ just setting your levels to 40 and balancing around that would have been better than the experience I'm currently having.