Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Catching up from last page, but Gato Roboto is a pretty shameless Metroid descendent, with some power ups replaced by a cat.

And congratulations bovis! I hope every one was safe during your COVID-themed wedding.

I only seriously played LP1 of the series, but I recall it having a very dramatic end battle. One of those situations where they change up the mechanics at the last second rather than just put a big enemy in your way. I hope I’m not misremembering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Someone mentioned Enter the Gungeon here a few weeks ago and that reignited my interest in the game. I was going strong with it for a while, having killed the past for the Marine and the Convict, but I feel like so much has been added since then. Synergies between weapons and items, new NPCs and enemies, mini bosses.

I’ve been trying to get a clear with the Pilot but his starting load out kind of sucks. Two nights ago, when I picked it back up for the first time in over a year, I barely made it to the second chamber reliably. Last night I made it to the Dragun twice, but couldn’t seal the deal. The last time was particularly brutal, since I had a hell of a load out but only two full hearts. Got him down to 1/3 then stupidly switched to a weapon with a bunch of kickback and got myself killed.

My success rate for getting deeper has gone up a ton once I stopped trying to go through the oubliette and just use keys on chests to get a better starting gun.

Game still good

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah but going to the Oubliette is a trap pick if I’m really just trying to kill the past. I don’t need another floor or enemies and a boss, I need better guns.

After I finish with the Pilot and the Hunter I can refocus on true ending stuff, right now I just need to seal the deal with the Dragun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I like that my Valheim server has people who take things chill and slow. I pop in every few days and see progress on our little compound, we try to schedule boss fights together, people post about having excess iron or silver and willing to share resources with the group. One guy just keeps a kitchen well stocked, he made little rooms for everyone with beds and chest filled with food and potions.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

:toot:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wish that last screen showed all the weapons and items I had accumulated. I had 6 heart containers by the end of the first chamber and four bullet upgrades (silver, toxic, charmed, explosive) among a bunch of other things. Oh well, on to the Hunter.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

y'all talking about anything fun in here?

I'm playing a board game (Jaws of the Lion) with my friends! It's one of those massive, gently caress-off board games that take an hour to set up and you track character orogress from session to session. Thanks to COVID, I'm getting use out of my Tabletop Simulator purchase because I would never be able to play something like this irl for a few reasons, and the game was a free fan mod available in the Steam workshop so after the initial TTS purchase I saved myself like $100 on this. We've been playing for a few months on and off, and I really enjoy it!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

after a brief break post collection of saga I'm gonna start RS:Minstrel Song later tonight

Which character are you going to pick? Have you done any research?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

literally zero going in blind

Then I will offer no advice. I'm sincerely looking forward to your trip reports. It's one of my favorite games despite never beating the final boss. I've got the strategy guide around here somewhere.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Quick little Enter the Gungeon trophy report.

Gungeon Acolyte: Complete the tutorial. Earned 4/5/2016

Historian: Complete all 4 main character Pasts. Earned 3/5/2021

Now I guess I need to look into the advanced bosses and secret stuff. In that last run I got greedy and also didn’t quite understand the curse system, so I had the specter of death hunting me during the final boss fight. It was hairy but I came out on top.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jolo posted:

How long does an average Enter the Gungeon run take? I've been playing Risk of Rain 2 lately but it's not a great game to play in spurts because the runs go on for an hour plus and there's no ability to save a run that's in progress (on console).

30-60 min. My last few successful runs got through the final boss in about 55 min. I just did my first run where I got to Bullet Hell, and I went through R&G for the first time too. So that’s 4 more areas than you’d do on a normal run and when I finally but the dust my timer was at 1:15.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The D&D arcade games, specifically Shadow over Mystara, is the best belt scroller/beat ‘em up in my book. Notable mentions are Aliens vs Predator, Battle Circuit, Dragon’s Crown, Guardian Heroes, and Ragnarok Offline. Those are games with a variety of weapons and moves, plus several have progression involved too with levels or purchasing upgrades

Does DFO have good controller support? I did play it some before it was on Steam and I remember mainly using the keyboard.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Wow! Marvel’s Avengers! Just Cause Mobile! Balan Wonderland! Calling in sick to watch this, it’s gonna be crazy!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I really liked CrossCode but I agree that the areas feel a little long. It wasn’t so bad in hindsight but it made long play sessions a little tiring. There is one area where you have two dungeons back to back, and you can choose which one to do first. That was a little much and I had to give myself a breather.

However, the story was very good and there are some moving parts that brought a tear to my eye, and the combat was engaging all the way through the end. I didn’t grind for endgame equipment materials but there was only a few parts where I felt like my gear hadn’t naturally stayed in the same power level as the enemies.

I hear the DLC is out and I should pick it up and see what it’s all about, but I know I’m going to have to remember endgame combat like right away. Those duels with Apollo aren’t loving around.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I picked up Metal Slug XX on the PS4 sale for $5 and despite being a big fan of the series and understanding of the quarter-munching habits of arcade games I found it to be the least fun I've had with a game in a while. Just, like, negative fun. Constantly dying seconds after respawning, being hit by things falling from the sky with no time to react, lasers hit-scanning me from off screen, just brutal. Most of the game seemed like asset flips and pallet swaps (I mean, the series has been using the same sprite sheets for a decade+ for most enemies) with nothing new to really excite me or spice things up. I think MS3 had the zombie power-up and the fat mode power-up to provide some variation, XX has 7 characters and relies on that for all the "excitement". Every time I found something kind of fun I was immediately killed and lost it, and there was no real dramatic swell in the action at the end of the game.

It has a "combat school" mode which breaks down the stages into smaller challenges which I guess could help train me to learn patterns et al but at first blush it was such a frustrating experience I don't know that I'll really go back.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In middle school a friend lent me their copy of FFVI and it must have gotten jostled in the console because something happened and all the saves in it were deleted. I wasn’t terribly far but my friend had an endgame save. He was gracious about it but it would have torn me up if that happened to me.

I had some bad luck with PSX memory cards, probably because of an over-reliance on those third party multi-cards.

On a related note, big shout outs to people who left endgame saves on the SNES games I rented or bought used. I know that the copy of Mystic Quest I owned came with a save at the very end and it was very cool to fight the final boss with all the bells and whistles before going back to my beginner file.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I like Papa Johns for my "I want a pizza where I can use a 25% off code I found online and not have to go far" pizza, but there are local joints I prefer for a sit-down experience (Hounddogs) and a pizza-by-the-slice experience (Mikey' Late Night Slice).

wrt renaming characters, this is mostly verboten but for some games I've played through before I like to rename the lead to Dude or My Dude. The latter is especially good in Zelda titles.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Narita Boy had a neat demo recently, glad I can get it for my subscription. Heard good things about Supra Land, interested in Deadfire and Empire of Sin.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I hate to Kramer in here, but does anyone have a recommendation for a website/app/whatever that will consolidate all my game libraries in one place? Mostly I'm looking for something that will show both Steam and Playstation libraries, but if it does other stuff that's cool too (like RetroArch, but I know that ain't going to happen). Google popped up with AllMyGames, but that refuses to sync with my PSN games. It shows Steam just fine, but not anything else and according to their discord it gets maintained sporadically. I also saw that GoG is going GoG Galaxy now, but that's only a windows launcher and I wouldn't be able to see my combined library on my phone when I'm out and about. Does anyone have any other recommendations before I go nuts and start an excell doc on my Google Drive or something stupid?

Basically I'm just tired of accidentally buying games twice because they're on sale and I remember thinking I should play it at some point.

I’d recommend rawg.io for this. It’s a website where you make an account and can sync up your Steam, Xbox, PSN and GOG accounts and it’ll put them all in one spot. You can put in simple reviews, too, like saying if you gave up on it or giving it a thumbs up.

The biggest downside I can think of is that when you search your library for a game it doesn’t tell you what service you have the game on. So, for instance, I can tell that I own Joten but I don’t know where.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 16, 2021

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Barudak posted:

Stranger of Sword city has some great art and a neat hook but it has a lot of rough edges almost all in tedium due to poor QoL. The updated version eases this some, for instance nerfing a dungeon so cruel I can't believe they shipped like that, but plenty of other stuff is still not actually fixed. You will still be making insanely long runs back through dungeons and grinding mindlessly while always facing a chance to just sort of have all your time wasted due to critical hits.

Rerelease is like a 7 out of ten to the base games 5 or 6.

Elaborate on your cruel dungeon thesis please, I’d love to hear about poorly designed dungeons that required a remake to fix. I gather that it’s more than enemies that can one hit your part? I’ve also been interested in the Sword City games but that interest has cooled based on your feedback here

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Barudak posted:

The game introduces teleport stones and connected dungeons and then goes "oh yeah, uh all the stones are in the first ring so if you want to do any dungeon after the first few walk your self back". A late dungeon is multiple dungeons away from the teleport stone and the gimmick is all abilities including passives are disabled. For many character types this turns them into dead weight (literal guide recommendations are "give them a shield and select defend every turn). The dungeon then becomes a slog of just mashing auto and, again, losing any party member is basically a full reset walk all the way back and since none of your abilities like passive aggro don't work just gotta hope!

yesss thank you. I love it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

hello friends as of today i am now as old as 35 year old dirt

Happy birthday, birthday neighbor. I turned 33 34 (time has lost all meaning) today myself, celebrating 1 year of working from home and almost total isolation from people outside my family.

At least I got an Apple Watch to commemorate the occasion

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 19, 2021

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Today I discovered that I linked my EA account to my old roommate’s XBox account like 10 years ago and now I can’t attach it to my current Xbox account that I’m using with PC Game Pass.

I guess I can just make a new EA account but it”d be nice to have everything connected properly.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Not the same but when Fullmetal Alchemist was on Adult Swim in like, 2005 or whatever, they would play new episodes on the weekends but then on weekdays they would rerun the series so people could catch up. When they caught up, they would just run it again. I started watching and described the episode to someone and they said yeah thats really early on so I kept watching, but then a week later they restarted the show again and I was like what the hell, now it's gonna be who knows how long until they get back to where they were!

Turns out after the first four episodes there's a flash-backward for two episodes and I had actually started watching at the very first episode but just mistakenly though they restarted the series and the episodes were chronological

When Adult Swim was airing Big O they ran through the localized episodes before the final few were released several times. I seem to recall them showing some episode about a tomato farm several times, and it was like the last one before they’d reset, but finally they showed the first few seconds then interrupt it with one of their white text on black bumper cards and said “fooled ya” or something, then show the next proper episode for the first time.

E: looking into it, this may have been what I was thinking about

quote:

On the night that the final episode of season two was set to premiere, October 26, 2003, the viewers were treated to a rerun of episode 20, "Stripes". This resulted in the Adult Swim message boards being flooded with complaints by fans. After an apology from Kim Manning, programming director for Adult Swim, the final episode of The Big O: Season Two was aired on Sunday, November 2nd at 11:00 PM.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

I wanna make a funny tier list about wizard101 but I can't think of anything funny to make with it that wouldn't require knowledge of the game and its mechanics when only 2 people on this forum know how the game even plays

I feel like I know just enough about Wiz101 through your posting to enjoy your list. I could probably make a list of my favorite puns based on the screenshots you've shared.