Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

I wondered if/when this kind of thing would get worked out - just took an administration that gave a drat.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1366734778213498884?s=19

Won't help for a few months, but Merck's own vaccine flamed out, so gently caress it, get them involved! DPA-prioritize getting them the equipment, grease the skids between the companies, and woohoo, more J&J vaccine, by Merck.

This is huge and great news. Glad they got Merck on board to help with production.

J&J is also saying that they are working on a "Booster" shot to help out with all the variants that are popping up. At the rate everything just started moving I might actually get my shot early summer instead of me thinking it would be late fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

This is the most Congress thing I have read in a while.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I hope they start doing the free meal thing for kids ALL the time. I wonder if it's even much money when compared to the 1.6 (or 9?) Trillion they just approved. I bet that bill could fund meals for years at that dollar amount.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

They definitely got NIPR right? Like lmao gently caress I'm so glad I'm quitting IT.

Not touching computers was the best career move I have ever made. Less work, more pay. I don't understand how that works out.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soylent Pudding posted:

That's a good point to keep in mind.

For those less interested in the fiddly bits of computer touching but care about policies and norms of cyber conflict there is a strong argument that the Us should be holding solarwinds as an example of responsible and restrained espionage and treat the exchange shitfuckery as an irresponsible deviation from principles due to the latter's massive collateral impact.

I also just thought of this. But in the event of cyber conflict does an adversary like Russia or China even have to hack into all our stuff themselves or can they drop some of their 0day stash in darknet forums and let the ransomware gangs do the work of attacking at scale?

I don't think we will immediately recognize a "cyber war" because of exactly what you pointed out.

I also believe that we are totally screwed if any actor goes "all in" with any kind of cyber attack. Everyone talks about these attacks like they are on a battlefield, but I don't think they realise just how asymmetric it really is.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

shame on an IGA posted:

The answer is ruinously punitive vacancy taxes to drive rents down to a level that supports full occupancy

It would work I guess. How do you propose to get ANY level of government to apply such laws/mandates though? We can't get Bezos/Musk to pay for their literal billions.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Sacrist65 posted:

One time I Youtubed a TED talk on management and the my algorithm changed to 90% "Ben Shapino/Jordan Peterson OWNS liberal professor with LOGIC" videos.

Yeah, what is the deal with that? I would think the CHUDs would be "idea adverse".

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

There is no way this isn't a good idea!*

*only a good idea if you want to end the economy as we know it and plunge America into a dystopian future that makes Blade Runner look like super happy fun land

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The army told Mathew Golsteyn to gently caress off. They aren't restoring his medals or his sf badge because the pardon from Trump did not expunge his guilt.

HA! I love it!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I just found this article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56453806

The headline really caught my eyes. Shouldn't the headline on a story like this be more in lines with "Mob Attacks Man After Attempted Hate Crime" or "Attacks on Asian-Americans on the Rise", etc.

The video in the article shows a person, assumed to be the attacker, being carried off in a stretcher.

I can't tell if BBC wants to scare Asian-Americans, inform them, or something else. I understand that there are some "rules" for journalism, but couldn't this story have served a better purpose? If I belonged to that group/community/etc, I would want that story to read more along the lines of "dude rolled in, hosed around, and found out".

At what point do these stories only serve to incite more violence? Does that happen? Did I just obsess over the headline to much and it colored my reading of the article? It just seems like the author is really trying to paint a picture in which that community is portrayed as weak and vulnerable, ripe for more attacks.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What percentage of americans do you think watches BBC news?

I mean, sure, you'll have a small percentage for a variety of reasons, but BBC has as much sway as Sky or Al-jazeera in the states, effectively gently caress-all.

If anything they wrote it for the clicks. 76 y/o granny fends off attacker is pretty clickbait-y, I half expected it to be an Outbrain article.

Fair point. The headline REALLY stuck out to me, especially since I rarely see those kind of headlines from BBC, maybe I am just lucky and haven't seen many of the cringy headlines.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, BBC puts a lot of lipstick on their news pig. They're no Mirror, but no better than lots of bullshit you'd see on CNNs' website.

I love me some brit media, but their news is rather meh. Slightly better news sources are AJ English and DW. BBC is best on the radio anyhow, mixed in with NPR broadcasts over a cup of coffee and a cigarette. They hit the high notes of the headlines well, it's after the headlines that they start tanking with tabloid quality news.

BBC on radio was the only reason I click on links from them. I'm mostly NPR/AP/Reuters, but I also like to see the headlines from other sources to see how they are spinning things.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

PeterCat posted:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/lulac-fort-hood-fort-benavidez/

"Last week, after a meeting in Milwaukee, the national council of the League of United Latin American Citizens passed a resolution calling for Fort Hood, the nation’s largest active-duty armored base, to be renamed Fort Benavidez"

This would be a good change.

That would be awesome. I always hated saying that I was stationed at Ft Hood. The name even sounds ghetto.

Saying I was stationed at Ft Benavidez, then educating people on that bad rear end would be awesome.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We had MoH citations lining the halls of the school house in AIT.

There were a few that involved guys literally riding bombs from planes to ensure they would detonate.

It's like if Airborne units were actually as metal as they claim.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

C.M. Kruger posted:

The booking photo is just literally just Saddam Hussein.

Is that really the booking photo?!? Jesus, that guy is rough.

Also, he doesn't look like the guy with the bloody leg they had in cuffs. Or his is and the angle I saw did not do his glorious mane justice.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Saddam is the guy that stopped and shot at the national guard vans with vaccines in Texas Arizona, I believe.

Dude with the bloody leg was Colorado supermarket shooter.

e: corrected Saddam's location.

Ah, makes more sense now.

I thought Saddam was grocery shooter and started questioning my recollection of events last night.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I know right? Who would have thought that the military of all groups would fail the common sense test?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Our training was oddly insistent that it's totally okay to have extremist beliefs, and even to openly advocate for those beliefs (one example was posting on a church message board), as long as you don't cross the line into illegal action or joining groups that advocate for illegal action. But if you think that, for example, Jews can't be trusted and there should be laws limiting what they can do, it's apparently fine to say so. Just do it in a non-partisan way.

I kind of feel like the extremism training people and the equal opportunity people didn't really coordinate their messages and policies.

Please tell me that "class" was recorded and will soon be on the internet.

God I'm glad I am out.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang. That's shockingly fast police response, and assuming the guy was planning something glad the cop didn't take up a position in the parking lot.

Question (not trying to troll) is loading and carrying guns in a bathroom, without making threats or aiming them at anyone, a crime? Clearly odd behavior but if not combined with clear intent to do harm won't he walk?

They might be able to get him on weapons charges of some form. I don't remember exactly, but I believe stores in GA have "no concealed weapon" signs or something of that nature.

But yeah, he might get off on a technicality.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

fknlo posted:

21 hours since I got my second dose trip report:

My arm loving hurts. Way worse than the first dose. I barely slept last night because I was hot and my whole body aches. Sleeping hot isn't a new thing for me and I have linen sheets that help a lot. Well, every square inch of my body feels like it's sunburned minus the heat. It felt like sleeping in burlap. My shower this morning hurt. Shampooing my hair did not feel good. My gums hurt when I brushed my teeth. All of my joints feel terrible, especially my hips and knees. I've had a baby headache since some point last night.

Well that sounds fun. Also makes me extremely happy I haven't caught this poo poo yet, I can only imagine how rough it is when it's a "real" response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Sacrist65 posted:

He will have promoted his new album to #1 with almost zero marketing expenses, bulldoze madison avenue and hire this kid's team.

Madonna and Lady Gaga have used this kind of shock publicity successfully but I dont't think they ever intentionally broke Kayfabe about it.

I've been saying this lately. He is either a total genius or has the absolute best marketing people ever. It doesn't hurt that he is completely owning everyone on twitter/instagram.